Identified! CA - North Hollywood, WhtFem 783UFCA, 22-32, webbed toes, Jun'78 Rebecca J Wilenius

I wish they would release her morgue pictures, I do appreicate the drwings that artists do of the Jane Doe's but somtimes its easier to compare pictures of missing persons cases to actual pictures of Jane Doe cases.

Thought I would throw this out there and see if anyone has any thoughts
NamUs MP #17932
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/17932/487
Debra lee Vowell
Firstly I know the date is one year off but bear with me:
The age is similar, I think there is a resemblance, the hair colour strawberry/blonde, hazel eyes, but most importantly is the webbed 2nd and 3rd toes.
Debra Lee Vowell was reported missing from a yacht, however no yacht or bodies ever found, also last sighting was reported as Jan 1979 however could that be when reported missing instead? long shot I know but dentals are available.

Thought I would throw this out there and see if anyone has any thoughts
NamUs MP #17932
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/17932/487
Debra lee Vowell
Firstly I know the date is one year off but bear with me:
The age is similar, I think there is a resemblance, the hair colour strawberry/blonde, hazel eyes, but most importantly is the webbed 2nd and 3rd toes.
Debra Lee Vowell was reported missing from a yacht, however no yacht or bodies ever found, also last sighting was reported as Jan 1979 however could that be when reported missing instead? long shot I know but dentals are available.

Wow, she does look spot on...nose, eyes, the shape of the lips, everything. And if you look at the pic of her next to the boat, it appears that she's holding a navy jacket in her arms. The UID was found with a navy jacket. The webbed toes really got me. I have been comparing these two cases for the last hour, trying to see if there might be a possibility that the dates are off. The one thing that I can't get around is the fact that the Coast Guard investigated the disappearance, searching extensively in 1979. Their records just can't be wrong like that.

Thanks for looking Sarah didn't notice the jacket, good find.
Does anyone know a way to find out exact details of the coast guards report?

The LA County Coroner has posted to NamUs a Facial reconstruction for this 1978 Jane Doe Case.

The Doe Network:
Hot Case 1423
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/783ufca.html
NamUs UP Case 4426 https://identifyus.org/cases/4426

2488058890045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

Unidentified White Female

* The victim was discovered on June 23, 1978 in Los Angeles County, California
* Estimated Date of Death: 1978

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 22-32 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'6"; 115 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Red/Auburn hair; hazel/green eyes. The second and third toes on each foot are webbed together to the last joint. Decedent has given birth in the past.
* Clothing: 1 silver band with orange color trim, 1 yellow metal floral design ring. Navy blue jacket with red linning, medium size. Light blue jeans with red, white and blue horizontal stripes on rear pockets. Medium brown leather boots, size 6 or 7. Black short sleeve pullover blouse with pink floral design.
* Fingerprints: Available
* Dentals: Available

Case History
The victim was located on a remote hillside in the north Hollywood are of Los Angeles County, California on June 23, 1978.
The victim died of strangulation and suffocation.

Apparently she's been identified. I don't have a name yet but her daughter has been looking for her for 38 years. The NamUs profile is offline, hopefully media will follow

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/4426

The LA County Coroner has posted to NamUs a Facial reconstruction for this 1978 Jane Doe Case.

The Doe Network:
Hot Case 1423
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/783ufca.html
NamUs UP Case 4426 https://identifyus.org/cases/4426

2488058890045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

Unidentified White Female

* The victim was discovered on June 23, 1978 in Los Angeles County, California
* Estimated Date of Death: 1978

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 22-32 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'6"; 115 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Red/Auburn hair; hazel/green eyes. The second and third toes on each foot are webbed together to the last joint. Decedent has given birth in the past.
* Clothing: 1 silver band with orange color trim, 1 yellow metal floral design ring. Navy blue jacket with red linning, medium size. Light blue jeans with red, white and blue horizontal stripes on rear pockets. Medium brown leather boots, size 6 or 7. Black short sleeve pullover blouse with pink floral design.
* Fingerprints: Available
* Dentals: Available

Case History
The victim was located on a remote hillside in the north Hollywood are of Los Angeles County, California on June 23, 1978.
The victim died of strangulation and suffocation.

Her name was Rebecca Jan Wilenius.

I have been waiting to reply to your site. I have been searching for my mother for 23 years. She was raped and murdered when I was only 4. She has been missing for 38 years. I just found out this really is her on July 18th. Cold case detectives are coming out to my house the beginning of next week to answer my questions. This is all really so overwhelming to me. I have so many emotions running through my head. I have been looking for so long. I am hoping she can finally rest in peace. I will always love my mom.

I have been waiting to reply to your site. I have been searching for my mother for 23 years. She was raped and murdered when I was only 4. She has been missing for 38 years. I just found out this really is her on July 18th. Cold case detectives are coming out to my house the beginning of next week to answer my questions. This is all really so overwhelming to me. I have so many emotions running through my head. I have been looking for so long. I am hoping she can finally rest in peace. I will always love my mom.

Welcome, although I can't express how sorry I am about the circumstances that led you here. I am happy that your mother has her name back and I hope in the upcoming days, weeks, and months that some of your long pondered questions will be answered. You will be in my thoughts and prayers as you continue on this journey.

I cried so hard when my husband found this site and the other that I replied to. I am touched that so many people cared and really wanted to know who she really was. It wasn't that way with my family. I was the only one who was actively looking. I never gave up. I never could. We went to the site where she was buried today and it was closed. My hope was to relocate her but all the John and Jane Does of each year are cremated and dumped in one grave for that year. Still hoping to put a marker where my grand parents are parents are located. We also went to the site where she was found today. It was a very emotional day. I named one of my four children after her.

I cried so hard when my husband found this site and the other that I replied to. I am touched that so many people cared and really wanted to know who she really was. It wasn't that way with my family. I was the only one who was actively looking. I never gave up. I never could. We went to the site where she was buried today and it was closed. My hope was to relocate her but all the John and Jane Does of each year are cremated and dumped in one grave for that year. Still hoping to put a marker where my grand parents are parents are located. We also went to the site where she was found today. It was a very emotional day. I named one of my four children after her.

What a beautiful tribute to your mom that you named one of your children after her. I'm sure she would feel so honored! I honestly can't even begin to imagine how you're feeling right now, but you are spot on about the people here. There are many who care very deeply about each and every missing and unidentified person and want nothing more than to bring them home and see justice through. Please continue to post updates if and when you feel it's appropriate and you feel up to it. Take care!

I sorry you've gone through such an awful tragedy. This case has stuck in my mind since I first read about it several months ago, as I lived in NoHo for several years. I'm glad she finally has her name back. Hopefully you will have justice for her soon.

Words can't convey how sorry I am to hear she was raped too. I'm a victim of domestic violence which is why I started advocating for missing and unidentified people because I very much could have been one.

My friend (who's sister has been missing since the early 70's) and I created a facebook page to get social media attention for the cases we follow here. We know it's the best way to get the Doe's into the public eye. I think your mom knew you were searching for her and it's why you happened to have the show on that day which lead you to search Doe Network. I know your mom knows how much you love and miss her and that you needed answers. I know she was with you when you had your children and is very touched that you named one of your daughters after her.

Your mom was a beautiful lady, I'm so sorry he took her from you and your family and hope he never gets out of jail. ~Hugs

CoriMc. you're in my prayers, I can't imagine how hard this week has been for you. I know meeting with the detective could not have been easy. You said that her remains were cremated and put in a mass grave with other Does, I wonder then how they tried to get DNA to match against you, see the post below by Carl. I wonder if they have the wrong info and she is actually buried there?

Elizabeth is not listed in NamUs.

Connie is in NamUs, and she has a DNA profile.

The UID has a DNA profile, but it is insufficient for profiling, so it wouldn't appear that either of them can be ruled out by virtue of the absence of a CODIS hit.

She met with the cold case detective and has gotten more info on her mothers murder but she is not allowed to repeat any of it as LE want to do a press release later in the week. KTLA went to her house last night. Here is the link, there is video too.

Yorba Linda Woman Learns Details of Mother’s Murder 38 Years After She Went Missing - Posted 11:52 PM, July 27, 2016, by Cindy Von Quednow and Kirk Hawkins, Updated at 01:11am, July 28, 2016
She remembers coming home one day after kindergarten and asking her grandmother if she could call her mother because the other kids at school had moms, and she no longer had one.

"Every birthday wish, the only wish I ever wished was for her to come home,” McIntire remembered.

By the time she was 19 she decided to start gathering everything she could find on her mother, phone books, letters, legal documents.

Despite hearing the gruesome details of her mother’s death, McIntire is glad she finally gets to change the plaque on her mother’s grave.

"I knew there couldn't be a happy ending, but at least it's an ending,” she said. “It's closure for me and my sister… “Knowing that she has her name returned to her...to me, was an honor."

Rebecca and CoriMc
RebeccaAndCorinne.jpg

You said that her remains were cremated and put in a mass grave with other Does, I wonder then how they tried to get DNA to match against you, see the post below by Carl. I wonder if they have the wrong info and she is actually buried there?
View attachment 98973

That "1979" plaque shown in the newsclip marks all of the remains buried in that year. There would be no way to exhume the remains even if they weren't cremated. If they had DNA from her mother's body, it was probably from either clothing or biological samples held in storage.

That "1979" plaque shown in the newsclip marks all of the remains buried in that year. There would be no way to exhume the remains even if they weren't cremated. If they had DNA from her mother's body, it was probably from either clothing or biological samples held in storage.

You are correct. Even though it happened in 78 she wasn't buried until 79. Yes, she was cremated because I asked if could move her to my grandparents, her parents. They said no. I spent hours and hours combing through the Doe Network. When I came upon this case I knew it was her. My sister, one of my sons, and one of my cousins all have the same webbed toes. She once had braces, she gave birth in the past (both I and my sister). When I look at that drawing I see my eyes, my forehead, and my nose. I had my sister and I go down to the coroners office with pictures. I held my breath as we had to look through the crime scene photos. They still had DNA in storage. After the coroner look at the photos he said he wanted copies before we left. They took mine and my sisters DNA sample. I had to wait two more years before I finally got an answer.

Thanks I wasn't sure. I was looking at Reet Jurvetson's case last night, they did the same to her remains, got DNA from her bra. A Candian TV show is doing a documentary about her, they show her bra on the show page.

You are correct. Even though it happened in 78 she wasn't buried until 79. Yes, she was cremated because I asked if could move her to my grandparents, her parents. They said no. I spent hours and hours combing through the Doe Network. When I came upon this case I knew it was her. My sister, one of my sons, and one of my cousins all have the same webbed toes. She once had braces, she gave birth in the past (both I and my sister). When I look at that drawing I see my eyes, my forehead, and my nose. I had my sister and I go down to the coroners office with pictures. I held my breath as we had to look through the crime scene photos. They still had DNA in storage. After the coroner look at the photos he said he wanted copies before we left. They took mine and my sisters DNA sample. I had to wait two more years before I finally got an answer.

Hugs

Can you tell me why it took two years for them to get back to you? I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm happy you've found your mother.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pechi_eupa
Back