Still Missing CA - Orson & Orrin West (3&4), California City, 21 Dec 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone with information and looking to collect the reward can call the California City Police Department at 760-373-8606. To remain anonymous, but ineligible for the reward, call the Secret Witness Hotline at 661-322-4040.

Search party members say they found items that may be related to California City missing boys | KGET 17

That is so strange that they would state in the same outreach that they are ineligible for a reward?

Here at WS I'm used to CrimeStoppers where everyone gets a number that is known to them that could be used. They are at first anonymous, but have a number known to them with the call that can later be tracked.

I saw the LE presser and was wondering why no Crimestoppers number given during the presser when a media person specifically asked for such. It stood out to me, big time!

Isn't Crimestoppers nationwide, and why in the heck would they offer a reward and state such that a call to help doesn't qualify for this "new one" I've never heard of.

I'm confused, can someone enlighten me as to who is this "Secret Witness Hotline" and why not the usual crimestoppers. Why would they do this twist?

If I was a constituent in that area, I would call in and ask. But I live on the other side of the country, and they don't need stuff like calls from me to complain. (although I would love to)

Last edited:
I think it’s important to let abusers know that you, as a community, are watching. But this is not how you do

What is yelling, vandalism, etc doing to help this case and the children? Come on.

The same way discussing theories on here help this case.
What they are doing isn't right, even worse what if the parents are innocent?
But, It's an emotional response to something that many can't comprehend but is happening more or at least it seems so.
Saw the same with little Tootsie Bass and Braylen Noble.

That is so strange that they would state in the same outreach that the are ineligible?

Here at WS I'm used to CrimeStoppers where everyone gets a number that is known to them that could be used.

I saw the LE presser and was wondering why no Crimestoppers when a media person specifically asked for such.

Isn't Crimestoppers nationwide, and why in the heck would they offer a reward and state such.

I'm confused, can someone enlighten me as to who is this "Secret Witness Hotline" and why not the usual crimestoppers. Why would they do this twist?
I’m glad I’m not the only one thinking: What? I just ran a quick scan of all the articles listing secret witness and this is the only one that says reward ineligible coming directly after yesterday’s search. Why now?
Secret Witness – See A Crime, Call The Line – (775) 322-4900 – Northern Nevada Secret Witness – See A Crime, Call The Line – (775) 322-4900

Eta: I guess it’s because Secret Witness isn’t offering a reward for the tip. Maybe the thought is some kind and caring individual (wants to remain anonymous)doesn’t need the $$$$$ but has credible info. Who knows? I’ve never heard of them before. I’ve read some of their successes. It might work. LE is pulling out all the stops. Remember Walker said “someone knows something” (paraphrased)
Reward Information – Secret Witness – See A Crime, Call The Line – (775) 322-4900 – Northern Nevada Secret Witness

Last edited:
That is so strange that they would state in the same outreach that they are ineligible for a reward?

Here at WS I'm used to CrimeStoppers where everyone gets a number that is known to them that could be used. They are at first anonymous, but have a number known to them with the call that can later be tracked.

I saw the LE presser and was wondering why no Crimestoppers number given during the presser when a media person specifically asked for such. It stood out to me, big time!

Isn't Crimestoppers nationwide, and why in the heck would they offer a reward and state such that a call to help doesn't qualify for this "new one" I've never heard of.

If I was a constituent in that area, I would call in and ask. But I live on the other side of the country, and they don't need stuff like calls from me to complain. (although I would love to)
The only reason I can think of is that LE may think there are people who know something about the case who don't want to reveal who they are because they may have participated in some way or are already involved in something illegal, or may have warrants themselves.

Either that or maybe they believe there are non-citizens who may be afraid to come forward.

Sorry if I missed it. Has the fractured leg thing been explained? It seems it was prior to the Wests fostering and adopting the boys, why was it mentioned?
Well, I mentioned this before but I think it was just listed as an identifying factor. Normally they list things like scars, tattoos, birthmarks, or any previous surgeries so to me it makes sense that they would include the fracture.

I think most coroners would be able to spot a fracture in an x-ray. They can still be seen in people who died hundreds of years ago.

It's also good information to have in order to differentiate between an old injury and one that may have contributed to a victim's death.

Imo

Last edited:
Does anyone know anything about the search in Bakersfield today? I would think the members are gathered by now, if it’s still taking place. I sure hope people make arrangements for their kids. I’ve found remains before. It’s not a pretty sight. The image can’t be erased. Even after 15 years.

Sorry if I missed it. Has the fractured leg thing been explained? It seems it was prior to the Wests fostering and adopting the boys, why was it mentioned?

I thought was interesting as LE said they did not know, that the media brought it up. It sounds like was preexisting vs. recent? I don't know if was to say he had a cast, or someone knew HIPAA stuff that would not be released so must have come to media from someone who knew such in the past?

The only reason I can think of is that LE may think there are people who know something about the case who don't want to reveal who they are because they may have participated in some way or are already involved in something illegal, or may have warrants themselves.

Either that or maybe they believe there are non-citizens who may be afraid to come forward.

Absolutely.

That was my question as to this is normal to do Nationwide Crimestoppers that allows for anonymous tips, has it in place to do rewards as each caller gets their own "identifier" number for later in case of an award, yet this LE didn't highlight, and this "unkown" to us at WS was mentioned in MSM.

And then this unkown entity to many of us said would not qualify for reward, when the Nationwide Crimestoppers that all LE that many of us at WS see in every case was NOT USED? WHY?

*scratches head*

Unlikely it is our boys but it is someone’s...so
sad. About a 3 hour drive from Cal city but I would imagine borders would be closed due to covid.

The article is so vague. The word under age is used to describe the bodies but then defined as not large enough to be a teenager or adult. That is still a huge age range, from toddler to preteen. That is, assuming that we’re not also including babies.

3 hours is not far when it comes to trying to get rid of bodies, especially when it takes you across the border into Mexico. I would assume that it would make it much harder to prosecute the case here in the United States or even get an accurate forensic investigation.

As far as I know. If bodies are found in another country the case belongs to the other country. And I wrong?

Absolutely.

That was my question as to this is normal to do Nationwide Crimestoppers that allows for anonymous tips, has it in place to do rewards as each caller gets their own "identifier" number for later in case of an award, yet this LE didn't highlight, and this "unkown" to us at WS was mentioned in MSM.

And then this unkown entity to many of us said would not qualify for reward, when the Nationwide Crimestoppers that all LE that many of us at WS see in every case was NOT USED? WHY?

*scratches head*

I really think that the leader ship of this particular Police Department doesn’t have the skills to lead an effective, complex, missing persons/ crimes against children investigation. I hope that they are accepting every bit of help that is available to them through other agencies. This could be an important learning opportunity.

I say this with the deepest respect for the hard job that they do!

Absolutely.

*scratches head*
Did crimestoppers offer to help? The only reason I'm asking is because in another case, a spokesman for Crimestoppers said they reached out to the family, but they declined their services. Maybe they need permission to offer a reward? Idk.

I'm not sure what you mean by the unknown person mentioned in MSM. Did LE specify there was a specific unknown person involved in the case?

Or are you referring to the statement that "someone knows something" and they hope they come forward? If so, I think that's true in every case.

I really think that the leader ship of this particular Police Department doesn’t have the skills to lead an effective, complex, missing persons/ crimes against children investigation. I hope that they are accepting every bit of help that is available to them through other agencies. This could be an important learning opportunity.

I say this with the deepest respect for the hard job that they do!
Yes, I do believe Chief Walker knows his/his department’s limitations as he mentioned and reiterated in his Press Conference that the FBI has been assisting them in this complex case, and when asked by a reporter why the FBI was brought on board, he advised it was because the FBI has the investigative resources they don’t have-Forensic testing and analysis, Crime Labs, etc.

IMHO.

Last edited:
Did crimestoppers offer to help? The only reason I'm asking is because in another case, a spokesman for Crimestoppers said they reached out to the family, but they declined their services. Maybe they need permission to offer a reward? Idk.

I'm not sure what you mean by the unknown person mentioned in MSM. Did LE specify there was a specific unknown person involved in the case?

Or are you referring to the statement that "someone knows something" and they hope they come forward? If so, I think that's true in every case.

By "unknown" to us.. I meant the reference, instead of Crimestoppers who is WELL KNOWN to all LE agencies... they highlighted another unknown reference to any here MOO without a history/record or being involved in such.

WHY?

And during the presser, didn't even have a reference for anonymous tips with reward.

That was so out of place to me that ANY other case I've seen than had FBI involved. Why did they make that decision to not use.

It still doesn't make sense to me even if a teeny tenny tiny community.

It is standard in the US MOO

Yes, I do believe Chief Walker knows his/his department’s limitations as he mentioned and reiterated in his Press Conference that the FBI has been assisting them in this complex case, and when asked by a reporter why the FBI was brought on board, he advised because the FBI has the investigative resources they don’t have, Forensice testing and analysis, Crime Labs etc.

IMHO.
I'm very impressed by Chief Walker. He is earnest and forthright, and I believe that with the help of the supporting agencies that this case will be resolved soon. Kudos to this assemblage of LE.

Amateur opinion and speculation

About – Kern Secret Witness
[...]

History of Kern Secret Witness Program

The Kern Secret Witness Program was formed as a public benefit, non-profit corporation in 1982. It is a collaborative effort between law enforcement and the community to involve the public in the criminal justice system by removing the fear of reprisal for assisting law enforcement. This is guaranteed by ensuring that those who provide information will never be identified by the Secret Witness Program.

Rewards are available for those who provide information that leads to the arrest and conviction of suspected persons. This program is administered by the Secret Witness Board of Directors, and all funding for the program comes from public donations.

The Bakersfield Police Department and Kern County Sheriff’s Department support the Secret Witness program and recognize it as a valuable tool to help solve crimes and apprehend wanted persons.

How The Program Works

The Kern Secret Witness Program relies on anonymous tips from community members. Secret Witness maintains a 24-hour hotline to receive information provided by community members. The information may be in response to a law enforcement agency’s request for assistance on unsolved crimes or unsolicited information about a crime or wanted person.

If information provided proves to be worthwhile, the caller – who is given a code name and number at the time of their initial call – is asked to re-contact the hotline to arrange for collection of the reward. The hotline documents all information received and faxes it to the appropriate law enforcement agency for follow-up. Information that is used to successfully solve a crime or locate a wanted person is forwarded to the Secret Witness Board of Directors who will determine the significance of the information provided and decide on the amount of reward to be disbursed.

The Secret Witness Board of Directors has sole discretion to authorize and set the value of a reward. If you are interested in becoming a board member, please complete and submit a Board Member Application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti