Still Missing CA - Orson & Orrin West (3&4), California City, 21 Dec 2020 #6 *both parents arrested/charged*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that foster parents should be routinely drug-tested.

I’m not disagreeing with you, and I think maybe an initial drug test as a part of the screening/application process may be helpful, but I do think the cost of routine drug testing for all foster parents is likely too high to show its usefulness in a risk vs. benefit scenario. In a system that is already short-changed and short-staffed, the cost of not only testing but also the administrative work that would be necessary in order to track, follow up, and order such testing would be extensive.

I think it makes some sense to test if there is suspicion or if something occurs that requires testing in order to clear or investigate someone further, similar to many healthcare jobs (I’m an RN at a large hospital system and employees are only tested if there is some sort of suspicion or medication discrepancy).

Wow, imo they should absolutely drug-test them, especially for meth since it contributes to hypersexual behavior.

Yeah, especially since the kids are removed from homes mainly because the biological parents are drug abusers.

That really surprised me that the foster parents don't have at least one drug test, when they are being assessed. I know that the parents are not supposed to smoke around foster children.

Since the funding is federal, I would also hope that Marijuana would also be screened. Although, recently they brought up that issue of drug screening for employees where my daughter works, and they realized that no one would probably pass the screen. So much for that discussion.

It’s tricky because I think different substances merit different worries, even legal substances. No need to get into a “what drugs are worse” but I do feel like an initial hard drug screening would seem appropriate for fostering. Moo

I think constantly drug testing foster parents after they passed a test with no indication of drug use is a bit much. We don’t do that to biological or adoptive parents either, do we? Also, meth can make someone get hyper sexual or whatever, but if you’re not a pedoph*le then you’re not going to ever touch a child. If someone inappropriately touches a child on drugs, chances are they would do it sober too.

Either way, I don’t think drugs play a part in this case. They seem sober, clean and present. Their behavior is odd enough on its own, but I honestly don’t think they’re using.

Politan interviews Bayan Wang: (no new info that I noticed).

COURT TV: Missing toddler brothers 3-year-old Orson West and 4-year-old Orrin West continue to make national headlines Monday, more than four months after they were reported missing in California City. Here's my segment with Court TV's Vinnie Politan that just aired. The Q&A starts at 4:20.

Just starting reading about this case today. Those poor babies. I have nothing to add but I’m curious about the explanation the adoptive parents gave LE when the footage only showed 4 children instead of 6 on the 19th. How did they explain that? Also if the camera caught that footage wouldn’t it have caught all the comings and going’s? Was there always just 4 kids when leaving?

Just starting reading about this case today. Those poor babies. I have nothing to add but I’m curious about the explanation the adoptive parents gave LE when the footage only showed 4 children instead of 6 on the 19th. How did they explain that? Also if the camera caught that footage wouldn’t it have caught all the comings and going’s? Was there always just 4 kids when leaving?
To the best of my knowledge, there has been nothing released publicly as to any explanation from the parents. Based on what I have read thus far, it would seem LE is been attempting to verify the last known siting of the two boys *aside* from the statements made by immediate family.

Let's hope there is an update on this case soon. I think financial forensics will play an important role in determining if there was any illegal transactions that resulted in the children disappearing. I am *not* saying that is the case, but merely speculating on all possibilities.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Thank you @AgeofAquaruis for posting this update from Bayan.

Bayan Wang 23ABC

JUST IN: While multiple people have "voluntarily" cooperated with authorities in the missing California City boys case, the Bakersfield Police Department confirmed Wednesday that investigators have had to detain several people who were not willfully cooperating with the investigation. Three-year-old Orson West and 4-year-old Orrin West were reported missing on Dec. 21, 2020 in California City by their adoptive parents.

Last edited:
Bayan Wang 23ABC

JUST IN: While multiple people have "voluntarily" cooperated with authorities in the missing California City boys case, the Bakersfield Police Department confirmed Wednesday that investigators have had to detain several people who were not willfully cooperating with the investigation. Three-year-old Orson West and 4-year-old Orrin West were reported missing on Dec. 21, 2020 in California City by their adoptive parents.

I Can well imagine who the detainees are. I hope this leads to Orrin and Orson,and what happened to them. MOO

I think that's what I said?

Although after reading Bayan's tweet and Facebook post again - he might be referring to a past detainment, not something that currently happened?
Time will tell ...

I wondered about that as well but he’s a straight shooting sort of journo and I can’t imagine he wouldn’t clarify as soon as he saw responses of people assuming it’s current. Maybe the clarification is still to come, it was a very short update.

MISSING BOYS: We're continuing the national coverage of the missing toddler brothers again Wedneday night with Court TV's Vinnie Politan. My Q&A with Vinnie about 3-year-old Orson and 4-year-old Orrin West starts at 3:30 in the video. We talk about the history of the boys adoption process, the adoptive parents' other children, and an update in the investigation released for the very first time.
National coverage of missing California City toddler brothers

It sounds like Bayan is conveying an acknowledgement from LE, that at some point in the investigation, parties were detained. Not something which currently happened.

MISSING BOYS: We're continuing the national coverage of the missing toddler brothers again Wedneday night with Court TV's Vinnie Politan. My Q&A with Vinnie about 3-year-old Orson and 4-year-old Orrin West starts at 3:30 in the video. We talk about the history of the boys adoption process, the adoptive parents' other children, and an update in the investigation released for the very first time.

It sounds like Bayan is conveying an acknowledgement from LE, that at some point in the investigation, parties were detained. Not something which currently happened.
Ok, so it's not actually "new" news that some people have been detained? That's what I thought I read. I thought it was an update, as of today.

Thanks for posting this video link, @Knox !

My key takeaways:
  1. Multiple people detained for questioning after refusing to cooperate over the course of this investigation.
    (Sgt Pair disclosed this for the first time last night right before air time to the tenacious Bayan Wang. This was over the course of the investigation so it has not been stated if anyone is CURRENTLY detained.)
  2. Bayan Wang had a 30 minute in-person conversation with TW and JW in March. (Mostly off record, they declined to give even a written statement to dispel rumors and their justification was that even a written statement every word would be analyzed. They *apparently* told Bayan they have searched on their own and have their own suspicions about who might be involved.)
  3. Bayan mentioned Websleuths! He sort of lumped us in with the YouTubers (We are better than that, B!), but I think it was fair in the context of a lot of folks questioning and being suspicious of TW and JW and offering them a chance to respond. (Just to be clear, Bayan, we at Websleuths do not attack and nor do we traffic in rumors. We are all about analyzing facts, interviews, and evidence. )
    JMO- I sure hope TW and JW will take Bayan up on his offer to make a statement. They are right it will be analyzed, but more importantly it will make news, and every news story is an opportunity to get the boys’ faces out there for potential tips. If they really care about finding the boys, they should have been making regular statements all along - the kids come first. Their justification provided to Bayan is not a good one. Ignore the critics. Put the kids ahead of your pride and egos for goodness sake!

Thanks for posting this video link, @Knox !

My key takeaways:
  1. Multiple people detained for questioning after refusing to cooperate over the course of this investigation.
    (Sgt Pair disclosed this for the first time last night right before air time to the tenacious Bayan Wang. This was over the course of the investigation so it has not been stated if anyone is CURRENTLY detained.)
  2. Bayan Wang had a 30 minute in-person conversation with TW and JW in March. (Mostly off record, they declined to give even a written statement to dispel rumors and their justification was that even a written statement every word would be analyzed. They *apparently* told Bayan they have searched on their own and have their own suspicions about who might be involved.)
  3. Bayan mentioned Websleuths! He sort of lumped us in with the YouTubers (We are better than that, B!), but I think it was fair in the context of a lot of folks questioning and being suspicious of TW and JW and offering them a chance to respond. (Just to be clear, Bayan, we at Websleuths do not attack and nor do we traffic in rumors. We are all about analyzing facts, interviews, and evidence. )
    JMO- I sure hope TW and JW will take Bayan up on his offer to make a statement. They are right it will be analyzed, but more importantly it will make news, and every news story is an opportunity to get the boys’ faces out there for potential tips. If they really care about finding the boys, they should have been making regular statements all along - the kids come first. Their justification provided to Bayan is not a good one. Ignore the critics. Put the kids ahead of your pride and egos for goodness sake!
Point #2. Reminds me of OJ saying he would look for Nicole’s killer....

Big fan of Bayan’s and Pearla. Excellent journalists/reporters.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member