CA - Pamela Johnson, 59, murdered, Alturas, 21 Feb 2017 *Arrest, found deceased in jail*

Tuesday, July 16th:
*Pretrial Status Hearing (@ 1pm PT) – CA – Pamela Sue Johnson (59) (Feb. 20, 2017, Alturas) – *Robert Allen Vogee (59) charged with 1st degree murder with premeditation & deliberation, burglary (Pam’s house), arson (his house) & the use of a deadly/dangerous weapon. Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
Trial was to start 12/10/18 but delayed to 9/9/19.
10/9/18 Update: Marsden motion (change attorneys) has been denied. 12/10/18 trial date was vacated. Will set trial date on 11/20/18.
10/27/18 Update: The State Atty General will be prosecuting this case, as the present DA was voted out of office & incoming DA was Vogee’s public defender on this case.
1/28/19 Update: Pretrial hearing 1/29/19. 1/29/19: Next Pretrial Motions hearing re Vogee’s mental health plea on 3/12/19.
3/12/19 Update: Next Diversion hearing re trial confirmation setting on 5/21. 5/21/19: Next pretrial hearing on 7/16 re trial status. Motion hearing-Marsden Motion on 7/17 @ 9am. Trial is set for 9/9/19.

Wednesday, July 17th:
*Motions (Marsden) Hearing (@ 9am PT) – CA – Pamela Sue Johnson (59) (Feb. 20, 2017, Alturas) – *Robert Allen Vogee (59) charged with 1st degree murder with premeditation & deliberation, burglary (Pam’s house), arson (his house) & the use of a deadly/dangerous weapon. Plead not guilty. Held without bail.
Trial was to start 12/10/18 but delayed to 9/9/19.
10/9/18 Update: Marsden motion (change attorneys) has been denied. 12/10/18 trial date was vacated. Will set trial date on 11/20/18.
10/27/18 Update: The State Atty General will be prosecuting this case, as the present DA was voted out of office & incoming DA was Vogee’s public defender on this case.

1/28/19 Update: Pretrial hearing 1/29/19. 1/29/19: Next Pretrial Motions hearing re Vogee’s mental health plea on 3/12/19.
3/12/19 Update: Next Diversion hearing re trial confirmation setting on 5/21. 5/21/19: Next pretrial hearing on 7/16 re trial status. Motion hearing-Marsden Motion on 7/17 @ 9am. A Marsden motion is the only means by which a criminal defendant can fire a court-appointed attorney or communicate directly with a judge in a California state court. It is based on a defendant's claim that the attorney is providing ineffective assistance or has a conflict with the defendant. Trial is set for 9/9/19.

Wow thank you for the update! Sigh to the delay -- yet again.

Do you know the outcome of the second (recent) Marsden motion to change attorneys? He tried last year and was denied, then apparently just tried again.

I am so disappointed that no media is keeping the public apprised of this case. I am glad that Pam's family is being kept informed at least. But so sad for them that it is dragging out so long.

Hope you will stick around and thanks for posting, @Justice4Pam .

New to this site. Got a message from Pam's Dad, the next hearing has been postponed to September 24th, hopefully will set the trial date then.
Thanks for keeping Pam's memory going!

Per bold - when you say next hearing - was that for 7/17? or was there one that I don't have a date for? I had 9/9 as his trial date. Guess that is cancelled....

TIA!

and
202x90px-LL-2bd87073_welcomeflowerpots.gif
Justice4Pam to WS and this thread! And thank you for that information.

@Justice4Pam are you family or in touch with Pam's family? They have hopefully heard from LE by now.

There is news in this case. The paper doesn't come out until Thursday so there is no MSM yet, and I do not see a press release from the Sheriff etc.

It is therefore my opinion only, that Vogee has committed suicide in jail.

My thoughts are with Pam's family.

I will post whatever appears in the paper on Thursday.

Until then this is JMO MOO

@Justice4Pam are you family or in touch with Pam's family? They have hopefully heard from LE by now.

There is news in this case. The paper doesn't come out until Thursday so there is no MSM yet, and I do not see a press release from the Sheriff etc.

It is therefore my opinion only, that Vogee has committed suicide in jail.

My thoughts are with Pam's family.

I will post whatever appears in the paper on Thursday.

Until then this is JMO MOO

Oh Wow! That would not be good. I guess he IS guilty if he did that.... hopefully, there will be some news before Thursday!! And thanks for posting that info.

I am a long time friend of Pam Johnson. Her father notified us of the suicide. I texted with her brother last night, they are still coping with the turn of events. The sad part is the will never get to face her killer to describe their loss & hear his explanation of why, the good news is they won't have to sit through the trial and bring up all the horrible details of her death. Hopefully, we can all move past this tragedy and remember the sweet, loving person she was!

Attachments

• 16998177_10212809977863259_5621320120745639147_n.jpg
    16998177_10212809977863259_5621320120745639147_n.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 5
I did not know Pam but I wish I had.

I do know a few of her coworkers and I know how liked and appreciated she was there.

I'm very sorry for your loss @Justice4Pam and that of her family.

Thank you for the photo and for reminding us how loving she was.

The article in today's Modoc Record. As usual, there is no link as all but a brief summary is behind a paywall at www.modocrecord.com, and also each link only lasts the week until a new issue, so here are the screenshots.

Pardon the extra text on the second page, as I'm on my ipad and only know how to screenshot the entire screen at once.

802829DC-5776-49EC-ACC4-7B0F02754B6C.pngB3F5AE13-2DD7-4FF3-8D16-D7E207FD252A.png

Praying for Pam's family and friends. Such a sad end for a good person. Hope knowing that this can't ever hurt anyone again is some small comfort. I hope Pam can rest in peace.Thank you for sharing this with us

In this week's Modoc Record, two items relating to this case. As before, no links since the paper publishes as a pdf and behind a paywall at that.

First, a letter to the editor from Pamela Johnson's father.

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 8.04.48 AM.png

Then, a correction by the former DA of some poorly worded phrases from last week's article.

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 8.05.08 AM.png

I have reported this post to ask a mod to adjust the title to note that Vogee was found deceased in jail, and to move from "Trials" to wherever it should live. While I'm sure the legal case is going through the steps of the closure/cancellation process, it's possible there will be no further news to the public about it.

A personal note if I may -- I can't remember all that I said upthread about my connection to this case -- I think I was circumspect, worried about Vogee perhaps seeing the thread at some point and identifying me.

I was involved with him briefly at the end of 2012. I did not get a violent vibe from him during the 4 months we were friends. Only after I stopped seeing him did he once yell in a rage during a phone call. He came across as someone who suffered from crippling anxiety and in my naivete I wrote off all his "oddness" to that, and actually felt rather sorry for him. I imagine Pam may have felt the same. She did not deserve what happened to her.

In hindsight I could easily have become a victim of his. It's an odd feeling, because although I wasn't harmed, there is no way to feel "relieved" about that, since Pam (and possibly others?) did suffer at his hands. I will not be surprised if coming years reveal other victims, perhaps in his prior locations.

To Pam's friends and family reading here, please forgive my unloading like this. This case is not about me but I can't help but have some feelings about it. My thoughts for a peaceful future are with you.

Last edited:
I am a long time friend of Pam Johnson. Her father notified us of the suicide. I texted with her brother last night, they are still coping with the turn of events. The sad part is the will never get to face her killer to describe their loss & hear his explanation of why, the good news is they won't have to sit through the trial and bring up all the horrible details of her death. Hopefully, we can all move past this tragedy and remember the sweet, loving person she was!

I, too, knew Pam since the '70s.....I know she's resting more peacefully, and I pray for closure for her family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jme81
Back