Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian, Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the article: "Investigators were notified about 8:50 a.m. that a body was in a dry lake bed near Sunway Road and Rosehedge Avenue, according to the sheriff's department. The area is about three miles north of Highway 62."

Is this even near the place where Paul went missing?
From map posted just upthread the location of body is marked. Here is the location of 49 Palms Oasis Trailhead. Use this map and look at Sunfair, which is near body location according to my previous map.
49 palms oasis trailhead

It’s been way too long for Paul’s remains to be described as a “burned body.” The article also states it is a male which wouldn’t be that obvious after this amount of time.

Burned body found in Joshua Tree investigated as a homicide
If you're saying what I think you're saying, I agree, wouldn't it have already been skeletonized by now ? Especially in that dry heat. I'm not an expert no, so JMO.

If you're saying what I think you're saying, I agree, wouldn't it have already been skeletonized by now ? Especially in that dry heat. I'm not an expert no, so JMO.
Yes that’s exactly what I was trying to say but I’m not an expert either. Just going on what I’ve read about bodies in the desert before.

Anthropologists like dry conditions as that helps to make mummies. There are mummies from the Gobi desert that are 2000 years old and still have bits of hair and skin. Sometimes quite a bit of skin.

That being said, it's not difficult to sex a body from skeletal remains. Medical examiners don't usually call in forensic anthropologists for this simple task. If you have a couple of long bones and a pelvis, sex determination is pretty close. Add in a skull and you've got plenty of info to identify in the field.

Anthropologists like dry conditions as that helps to make mummies. There are mummies from the Gobi desert that are 2000 years old and still have bits of hair and skin. Sometimes quite a bit of skin.

That being said, it's not difficult to sex a body from skeletal remains. Medical examiners don't usually call in forensic anthropologists for this simple task. If you have a couple of long bones and a pelvis, sex determination is pretty close. Add in a skull and you've got plenty of info to identify in the field.
Would a body still mummify after being burned?

Oh MY!

A burned body of a man has been found in Joshua Tree NP!

No identification as yet...

Link Below:
Man's burned body found in Joshua Tree

MANS BURNED BODY FOUND IN JOSHUA TREE

(More at link above )

ETA: Sorry... This body was found in the city of Joshua Tree which borders the northern boundary of JTNP...

RBBM

Burned??? Good grief.

Prayers for this person's Family and Friends.

Thanks - I tried but Lost Palms Oasis kept popping up. Appreciate it. Locations are not so far apart, though I have huge doubts this body has anything to do with Paul. IMHO

Over 10yrs ago when I was travelling on weekends to Joshua Tree, you could camp out on this dry lake bed (it was BLM land) across 62 from the park for free (no amenities at all of course, just free car camping). There was also a paid campground right off of sunfair. Always a lot of target shooters out on the dry lake bed and usually ATVers. I would be surprised if this is at all related to Paul Miller, but I hope for a quick ID and justice for the victim.

Over 10yrs ago when I was travelling on weekends to Joshua Tree, you could camp out on this dry lake bed (it was BLM land) across 62 from the park for free (no amenities at all of course, just free car camping). There was also a paid campground right off of sunfair. Always a lot of target shooters out on the dry lake bed and usually ATVers. I would be surprised if this is at all related to Paul Miller, but I hope for a quick ID and justice for the victim.
What does BLM land mean? tia

Paul Miller and those who know and love you - we have certainly learned a lot and seen a lot of beautiful country as we have brainstormed together what happened to you. The impact of your journey that day has affected so many and we continue to hold out hope. It seems to be all we have at this point.

Shame that it's basically a waiting game. For someone to stumble across something, to report a tip, to search again, to start over when this goes "cold"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa