Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting article. Chances are that Paul will turn up eventually, if he's there...or in the nearby desert.

People Keep Finding Bodies in Joshua Tree

Of course, not all bodies end up in the desert through suspicious means. Like many parks these days, visitation in Joshua Tree is way up. More than 3 million people are expected to fight for its 3,000 parking spots and wander the trails this year—double the visitors from five years ago. Some blame the recent boom on the nearby Coachella music festival and the social media–induced “loved to death” syndrome that’s plaguing so many of our parks. (U2 certainly deserves some blame as well.) Meanwhile, staffing in Joshua Tree has remained the same. About 110 paid employees watch over 1,200 square miles of land, some of the hottest in the United States, where it’s easy to become lost in the famous red-stone mounds that give Joshua Tree its Martian look. All those extra visitors mean more people who wander off the trail—and some of them die. In April, a 76-year-old man named David Sewell was lost for three days. Rescuers miraculously found him by following the circling vultures overhead. When they spotted Sewell, he was on death’s edge, covered in dirt and curled around a rock.

Sewell was lucky. But as we’ve written here before, about 1,600 other people who’ve gone missing on public land weren’t so fortunate. The thing that sets Joshua Tree and the Mojave apart from all the other places where people disappear, however, is the stunning regularity at which their bodies resurface.

I came across a new-to-me video from Paul's sister's visit to JTNP last month. In it she says Paul talked for years about going to the park. Makes it more understandable why he'd go out one last time that morning.

Family of missing Canadian hiker continues search 4 months in

Just realizing, (in the video linked above) Paul's BIL is wearing one of the t-shirts (his family had made) with a large silkscreen of Paul's tattoo on the front, FWIW.

Last edited:
Very interesting article. Chances are that Paul will turn up eventually, if he's there...or in the nearby desert.

People Keep Finding Bodies in Joshua Tree

Of course, not all bodies end up in the desert through suspicious means. Like many parks these days, visitation in Joshua Tree is way up. More than 3 million people are expected to fight for its 3,000 parking spots and wander the trails this year—double the visitors from five years ago. Some blame the recent boom on the nearby Coachella music festival and the social media–induced “loved to death” syndrome that’s plaguing so many of our parks. (U2 certainly deserves some blame as well.) Meanwhile, staffing in Joshua Tree has remained the same. About 110 paid employees watch over 1,200 square miles of land, some of the hottest in the United States, where it’s easy to become lost in the famous red-stone mounds that give Joshua Tree its Martian look. All those extra visitors mean more people who wander off the trail—and some of them die. In April, a 76-year-old man named David Sewell was lost for three days. Rescuers miraculously found him by following the circling vultures overhead. When they spotted Sewell, he was on death’s edge, covered in dirt and curled around a rock.

Sewell was lucky. But as we’ve written here before, about 1,600 other people who’ve gone missing on public land weren’t so fortunate. The thing that sets Joshua Tree and the Mojave apart from all the other places where people disappear, however, is the stunning regularity at which their bodies resurface.
I just looked up older news articles re: David Sewell, who was lost there for 3 days. Sadly, I came across his obit and he passed away last Sept. OT, but thankfully he had a few more months of life.

I just looked up older news articles re: David Sewell, who was lost there for 3 days. Sadly, I came across his obit and he passed away last Sept. OT, but thankfully he had a few more months of life.
Yes-it's an amazing story. Found, conscious and talking, 3 days after he was lost. 90 degree daytime temps, cold at night. 2 water bottles (1 L I'm guessing, haven't seen size quantified) and a sandwich. He built fires at nigth. wasn't far from the road, but think he was bushwhacking off trail-this article Legally Blind Hiker, 76, Found 3 Days After Going Missing in Joshua Tree: 'It's a Miracle' says he was in Johnny Lang Cyn-which is an off trail hike-https://modernhiker.com/hike/hiking-johnny-lang-canyon-in-joshua-tree-national-park/ . Sounds like he knew J tree well.

I believe he will be found soon
I'm hopeful that with more and more visitors, he will be. I imagine it would be a bit of a shock to find remains while pursuing a pleasant afternoon of hiking. If visitors are aware that he is still missing, then maybe that would be one of their intentions, to look for him. jmo

Another experienced hiker, also named Paul, was missing in the park a year ago (in March of 2018). That Paul fell 20 feet, fractured his skull and broke an ankle but somehow stll managed to bury himself in the sand to keep warm & used rain water to stay hydrated...

Fortunately, he was found after 4 days & lived to tell about it.

Found Joshua Tree hiker fell 20 ft, buried self in sand while missing

ETA: The article says he was found exactly six months after the remains of Orbeso and Nguyen were found. (life can be so strange, death even stranger)

Last edited:
me too. Paul's is one of those cases I can't put down. I just don't think he is out there. So I come to bump his thread again. Because IMO, someone knows what happened.

Those who love him deserve to know what happened - whatever it was.

Me too. I literally google just about every day hoping to see news. A mysterious disappearance at the moment. Maybe it won’t seem that way when/ if he’s found.
Yea, I don’t think this one is a mystery. I just think he hasn’t been spotted. It will happen. Let’s hope soon. Really tragic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993