Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious, what do ya'll make of the crime scene tape @3:42 minute mark of the video in post #562???

ETA: Post found here

Last edited:
There's a comment worth reading at the bottom of that piece.

Also its still bothersome an experienced hiker on a tight schedule, left his phone back at the hotel...IMHO.

Where are you Paul???
There are some bothersome details, and I think it's good to analyze every possibility. This being said, I think our best chances of finding Paul are to figure out (if we can), where the Big Horn would have been congregating at that time of year. (Locations in the park that time of year with more vegetation to feed on, etc.)
Waiting and wondering must be driving his family and friends nuts. I truly pray Paul is discovered soon. We need more searches, and the weather is perfect for it right now!

I take it to indicate they found an item of interest there, and marked the area.

It must be from another "case" as it has been stated there was no sign of Paul, not a scent or footprint or even so much as an "item of interest" found.

Nothing - nada - zero - zip - zilch.

Nothing accept his rental in the lot & that witness account of seeing who they think was Paul at the trail head....FWIW

I take it to indicate they found an item of interest there, and marked the area.

It might be just a marker to show where a search party left the trail, so they could find their way back, or how far a trail search progressed. I don't even see enough to identify it for sure as crime scene tape and not just caution or attention.

Also its still bothersome an experienced hiker on a tight schedule, left his phone back at the hotel...IMHO.

Where are you Paul???
Yes agree. But I believed we all discussed that cell phone reception is minimal there, if at all. And he had a camera. Phone would have been beneficial to keep track of time however and possible call for help if he could have gotten a signal. But, if he's like my husband, a phone is completely irrelevant.

But what if (for example)Paul got mixed up and off the path only to end up coming out at the highway like the person explained happened to a few in their group...a cell phone when timing is critical could be a lifeline STS. (Even to call a cab never mind the wife)

Obviously Paul didn't expect to be in any type of trouble. No one expects to go missing.

My husband always says 'better to have it and not need it'

As a wife I would have insisted he take his cell, Justin Case, we all know him. A relative of Justin Time...but to each there own.

Just curious, what do ya'll make of the crime scene tape @3:42 minute mark of the video in post #562???

ETA: Post found here

It could just be litter. It would have to be looked at more closely, to determine if it is actually crime scene tape. It looks to me to be too high up on the tree to be crime scene tape. Crime scene tape is normally stretched about three feet above the ground, not over head like that.

The first thing that caught my attention is that his wife reported him overdue 3 hours from the time he left the hotel that morning.
If the trail is a 2 to 3 hour hike plus counting his travel time from the hotel to the parking area for his hike and then drive time back to the hotel, his expected arrival return time would be longer then 3 hours?
The 49 Palms Oasis Trail offers a three-mile round-trip hike to a fan palm oasis. It requires two to three hours

https://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/upload/49sitemap.pdf

Paul Miller was last seen by his wife at around 9am Friday morning when he departed for a hike to 49 Palms Oasis. Miller’s wife notified park rangers that he was overdue around noon

Last edited:
The first thing that caught my attention is that his wife reported him overdue 3 hours from the time he left the hotel that morning.
If the trail is a 2 to 3 hour hike plus counting his travel time from the hotel to the parking area for his hike and then drive time back to the hotel, his expected arrival return time would be longer then 3 hours?
The 49 Palms Oasis Trail offers a three-mile round-trip hike to a fan palm oasis. It requires two to three hours

https://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/upload/49sitemap.pdf

Paul Miller was last seen by his wife at around 9am Friday morning when he departed for a hike to 49 Palms Oasis. Miller’s wife notified park rangers that he was overdue around noon

He was supposed to be back by 11AM, so they could check out. She reported him missing at 12:30. If a husband goes out for a quick hike at 9AM with plans to be back by 11AM check out time, I think many if not most wives would figure out that something was wrong by 12:30. So I don't find anything unusual about that. He was 90 minutes overdue at 12:30. Even using the 3 hour time frame, he was still overdue at 12:30. Which is why I guess they elected to start an immediate search.

If I had been him, left at 9AM, and knew I had to be back by 11AM, I would drive out, hike until 10AM, then turn around and start back, which would get me back to the hotel by check out time. Maybe he was dependable about things like that, so the wife probably knew that something was wrong at 11AM. By 12:30 her concern would have been confirmed.

Where are you Paul???
I agree, has always bothered me about him leaving his phone. If nothing else it seems he’d want to be able to stay in touch with his wife to let her know he’s on his way back, or so she could stay in touch with him. Even if no signal on the trail, (well would he know that for sure?)... then in the vehicle or parking lot. Hard to believe he would be that irresponsible or absent minded, which are the only explanations that seem feasible, IMO. Otherwise, why have a cell phone at all, isn’t that what they’re for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMae0823