Found Deceased CA - Philip Kreycik, 37, Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, 10 Jul 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. Re your last sentence, this brings to my mind an image of PK starting out from his car toward the trailhead, but before he gets there someone calls out to him from the parking area, and he turns around to deal with them -- maybe they are hostile, maybe they appear to be asking for his help, whatever. And once he gets back to the parking area, he ends up leaving (voluntarily or otherwise) in the other person's vehicle.

This would fit, I think, with the dogs having only caught his scent at or before the beginning of the trail.

MOO

This is a good theory. I feel like that would have to be involuntary with a stranger, or voluntary with a “friend” to go for a run elsewhere. Because if he was going with a stranger to help them with something, from the lot where his car was, I’d think he’d grab his phone from the car first before leaving with a random person. But if someone he knew saw him in the lot and said come for a run at X trail instead, he might’ve still left his phone.

Mine isn't either! Not now, anyway. :) I just know how it can be done.

And since you mentioned doing it 6 months in advance, that is a great point. A person with a plan, especially if they travelled for work, or if they regularly left the house and had time to themself, they could easily stash things necessary to get some space. 6 months would be a lot of time. You could cache supplies all over the place.
I would think one would need at least six months of preparation to successfully pull something like that off without spending your future life sleeping rough.
It's one thing to have survival skills, another thing entirely to choose to give up creature comforts you are accustomed to for any length of time.
I am aware that people do it though, there's always that person in the homeless hotel for years with half a million in the bank, but there are usually mental health issues in those cases which this man does not appear to suffer from.

This is probably going way off topic, but on the note of money and phones, have you guys ever heard of this man? Someone with PKs fitness and outdoor skills could go hide out like this, or in an alternative community, on a trail, etc.

The American who quit money to live in a cave
This guy wasn't that successful to begin with, he left his life savings in a phone booth, $30. No wife, no kids to abandon.
His "gift economy" won't work without the wealthy tourist towns to scrounge off of, it may not be his money he's living off but he's not living without money as he claims, it's just other people's money that supports his "zero currency" lifestyle.
It's a leap to think PK shares a similar philosophy, there's just no evidence of that.
The man who quit money gives TEDx talk

"If having some cards to use was important? Prepaid cards."

Agreed, if you believe he disappeared of his own will. However, the absence of cards (and maybe cash) in his wallet might suggest an encounter with a bad guy.

So much is NOT being said by LE. And the fact that they responded so fast to PK's wife's call when he was just about an hour late is really odd to me. That might happen if a person had a documented history of suicide attempts or erratic behavior, but PK sounds like a stable person. We just don't know.

Last edited:
This guy wasn't that successful to begin with, he left his life savings in a phone booth, $30. No wife, no kids to abandon.
His "gift economy" won't work without the wealthy tourist towns to scrounge off of, it may not be his money he's living off but he's not living without money as he claims, it's just other people's money that supports his "zero currency" lifestyle.
It's a leap to think PK shares a similar philosophy, there's just no evidence of that.
The man who quit money gives TEDx talk

Right, I didn't mean to make a leap that was that big. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I shared it more to show what is *possible.*

It remains my opinion, and opinion only, that IF PK is voluntarily missing, he just took a break and is out there on a trail/hiking camping somewhere. I don't think he seems the type who would permanently take off, but maybe life stress or something we do not know about got to him?

Burner phones: Home Shopping network offers an Android smart phone with one year of service for $100 (delivered). Cheap and anonymous if you use a gift card to buy it.

Area bike share: No share bikes in the immediate vicinity.

Nearby roadways: There are several roadways near parts of this trail, but the main trail that most folks think he took doesn’t come near them once you start. Side trails do, though they are either fairly busy or in neighborhoods. It would be hard to abduct someone without it being noticed,

“John Doe” post-accident: This case has had massive local coverage; highly doubtful that he would be in a hospital as an unknown patient without someone connecting the dots.

This is a good theory. I feel like that would have to be involuntary with a stranger, or voluntary with a “friend” to go for a run elsewhere. Because if he was going with a stranger to help them with something, from the lot where his car was, I’d think he’d grab his phone from the car first before leaving with a random person. But if someone he knew saw him in the lot and said come for a run at X trail instead, he might’ve still left his phone.

The thing is though, I read the other day that extreme heat can negate a human scent being followed by a search dog. So that could be why the dogs lost the scent so early.

I think he is somewhere in the search vicinity - I think they've somehow missed him. I don't think this is a planned disappearance or anything sinister dealing with family/work, etc. I think leaving his phone in his car is something he did on a regular basis and that Saturday the 10th was one time he needed it.

The only possibility that he is in a different area would be if he left via car. Did he meet someone on or near the trail who suggested they run somewhere else and left in that person's car. The person could have dropped him off somewhere else to run...but why wouldn't that person come forward? But I'm still going with the obvious solution, even though it is hard to believe, that he hasn't been found in 3+ weeks.

I didn't know that, I've been thinking they're flip phones all this time lol

So, theoretically, if one uses cash to buy prepaid cards, a smartphone burner, sets up new emails accounts for CashApp, Chime, etc, none of the activity necessary to plan a fully-fledged escape can be tracked, as far as a digital footprint goes? Do I have that right?

Unless he's paid in cash, of course they can be tracked. If he withdrew sums of cash in an uncustomary manner, in order to pay cash for all the things you mention, the bank account would show it.

I really think all this speculation would be very hard for his wife to hear, so I hope she isn't reading here.

Anyway, his passion was trail running. So in addition to disappearing with a bunch of cash, he also has to abandon his passion, as he will be recognized on any major trail.

A man was heard crying for help near Sunol Canyon (it's certainly within his running rage - he runs ultramarathons), but the area is vast. They've already tried to search 50 square miles. They searched only 2 square miles for 10 days in the case of Barbara Thomas, and didn't find her (she was just outside that area). Dogs were of no help because it was hot. Dogs are not 100% reliable (especially sniffer dogs - and especially in large outdoor areas with ridges, gullies and canyons).

It's very hard to find people in the outdoors. I believe that Phil not only loved his family, but that he also loved his work and was very much part of important research that was just coming into more and more discoveries, to which he was key. He was well-loved by everyone who knew him, was an inspiration to many, and everyone says that his only other passion was the trail running.

Volunteers continue search for missing runner in Pleasanton after authorities scale back efforts

A Clouded Peak - The Harvard Independent

Brainstorming:

One possibility -- as he ran along the trails, if there are other places where the trail is near an access point/parking area or even just parallels near a road, he might have encountered someone who forced him away. (but why?)

Another possibility is that he never made it to the trail in the first place, encountered foul play earlier by someone who then parked PK's car at the trailhead to create a false idea he was in the park -- (to which I then ask: although we know he had these routes in his Strava from 2019, did he actually tell anyone that's where he was planning to run that morning?)

All just speculative ideas in response to your question. I don't know what I think actually happened to him.

Per CT it was discussed with him and the 3rd runner on Friday evening and it seems his wife also knew.

It’s so hard to imagine he would leave voluntarily. I’m surprised how much time people are devoting to that option. I’m not saying his life was perfect, or that part of him didn’t want to escape, but it seems unlikely to me that someone like him would just run away. Yes, he probably could have if he wanted to, but it seems far-fetched that that is what he did, unless he is a total sociopath. And now seeing all the search resources going into this, that he wouldn’t try to stop it, it seems crazy to me.

I think he could be somewhere in the park, or he could be a victim of foul play. We still have not gotten to the bottom of why PK’s dad said that thing about a maybe a good Samaritan is looking over him. Sure women are more often victims, but men can be too. If it’s foul play, I think it was something totally sudden and unexpected— not that PK planned to meet someone who abducted him, but someone just abducted him out of the blue. That would explain why there are no clues on his cell phone or Google search history (assuming there aren’t).

MOO.

Objectively, I totally agree. Getting lost and not yet being found is absolutely the most logical explanation.

I think what’s stumping people, and driving off the cuff speculation to a degree, is the fact that yes, while it’s hard to find someone in the wilderness, this is a much smaller, much more urban/suburban park than all the other ones in similar cases. Having been there, I can see why LE believes they’ve covered nearly 100% of the search area. I can see why it would be so odd that someone lost there would have such trouble finding a way to a road or house on the subdivision. I just can’t get over that fact, especially considering his experience, youth, fitness level, and outdoorsmanship.

of course it’s always possible, and I do agree, I hope his family doesn’t have to hear any speculation. The more I pay attention to this case, the more I feel a sense of desperation as well, to uncover something that would answer this mystery and give his family answers.

It’s so hard to imagine he would leave voluntarily. I’m surprised how much time people are devoting to that option. I’m not saying his life was perfect, or that part of him didn’t want to escape, but it seems unlikely to me that someone like him would just run away. Yes, he probably could have if he wanted to, but it seems far-fetched that that is what he did, unless he is a total sociopath. And now seeing all the search resources going into this, that he wouldn’t try to stop it, it seems crazy to me.
<Snipped By Me>
MOO.
Above quote's bolding by me

I am also surprised that this is being so seriously discussed as a viable option, but I think that is what happens when you begin the rule out the obvious choices.

Sadly, it is so very hard to find a non-responsive person especially when you have limited information on their direction of travel or planned route. Even with that information and it being a somewhat limited search area, people are missed.

I believe something went wrong while out on his run - getting lost and disoriented, potentially a cardiac event, heat stroke, a misstep - and he just hasn't been found yet. I think the continued search efforts are valiant and I hope that they payoff soon. Hoping for the best for his family and friends

I think he is somewhere in the search vicinity - I think they've somehow missed him. I don't think this is a planned disappearance or anything sinister dealing with family/work, etc.

I agree. The Sheriff's Department Sergeant, who spoke at length in a news video before this weekend's extensive search, said they are convinced PK is in the park area. (don't remember exact words) He made clear his admiration of PK as an athlete, family man, and outdoors person. That tells me one of two things. Either they have done enough research to believe PK never left the park area. OR They are investigating other avenues quietly. The Sergeant's heartfelt words touched me, and frankly. I was surprised. Maybe Pleasanton has a really exceptionally caring LE community.

Remember that we are working off the idea that he was not wearing a shirt and was wearing black shorts and dark grey shoes... had he been wearing brighter clothing, he may have been spotted.

Has LE or family confirmed he had his car keys on him? If so, I assume the police broke into his car and found his phone and wallet? Or did the wife come join the police and open the car with a spare set? Do we have any info. on what he usually did with his keys when he ran? Do we know where his car is at the moment?

"So much is NOT being said by LE.

I agree, and it is frustrating not to know some of the helpful details. But I will trust they must have good reason to hold that back and not cloud the waters if the things are irrelevant or create a wrong assumption to the public.

I really think all this speculation would be very hard for his wife to hear, so I hope she isn't reading here.

It's very hard to find people in the outdoors. I believe that Phil not only loved his family, but that he also loved his work and was very much part of important research that was just coming into more and more discoveries, to which he was key. He was well-loved by everyone who knew him, was an inspiration to many, and everyone says that his only other passion was the trail running.

Volunteers continue search for missing runner in Pleasanton after authorities scale back efforts

A Clouded Peak - The Harvard Independent

I, too, have a strong belief in his good moral character and firmly believe the same: that he is lost in the park. The entire case is devastating. Heartbroken for his family. And for him to have these questions surrounding his name.

I think he could be somewhere in the park, or he could be a victim of foul play. We still have not gotten to the bottom of why PK’s dad said that thing about a maybe a good Samaritan is looking over him. Sure women are more often victims, but men can be too. If it’s foul play, I think it was something totally sudden and unexpected— not that PK planned to meet someone who abducted him, but someone just abducted him out of the blue. That would explain why there are no clues on his cell phone or Google search history (assuming there aren’t).

MOO.

Yes. I simply don’t think he could have gone into this run with bad intentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500