Identified! CA - Police searching for car seen in video driving off CA hwy cliff, 30 Dec 2019-ID Tracey Sinclair

LietKynes

Former Member
Reaction score
Police searching for car seen in video driving off highway cliff in California - ABC News
"...It was not clear how many occupants were in the vehicle at the time ..."

"...Police said they believe the car plunged away from the jagged cliff embankment into the water below, which they estimated to be 30 to 40 feet deep..."

Sad video in this article.
Shades of the Hart family tragedy.

Dramatic video shows car plunging off cliff on California coast

"...The video, released by the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office on Wednesday, shows what was described by the Coast Guard as a dark-green Lexus SUV speeding along the shoulder before driving off the cliff without appearing to slow down..."

I'd like to think it was accidental.
In 30-40 feet of water they'll be hard to locate. :(

I saw this horrifying video earlier. The person driving the vehicle didn't appear to try to correct and was going very fast. To me, it appears that either this was a medical event, or intentional, but I don't know.

I have driven that whole coastline, and you have to stay very alert....a lot of curves, mostly no safety barriers, and the sights are stunning so a moment of distraction can be disastrous. Could be an accident I guess.
Poor person, I hope there were no others in the vehicle.
I wonder if a person will be reported missing.
Very sad.

“A six-hour search for bodies was suspended Monday, U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer Taylor Bacon said, and remained halted as of Thursday afternoon due to a lack of visibility and dangerous water conditions in the area.

"The risk outweighed the potential of finding somebody," Bacon told USA TODAY. "This is a unique situation and we're working with partner agencies to help find the vehicle."”

[...]

““We don’t know if it was a criminal act," Diaz said. "We don’t know if it was intentional or if it was an accident."”

Car drives off California cliff; officials unable to find SUV, driver

Just returned from vacationing in that area... the roads along the cliffs are super scary. No guard rails, lots of curves... but oh so beautiful. I can see someone not being reported missing for a bit, but if I saw that video and had loved ones in the area I sure would be checking on them. Hope the person/persons are found soon.

It's so hard to say with these circumstances whether or not it's intentional. It seems more likely considering the apparent lack of braking. Such a beautiful stretch of highway would be an attractive destination for such a suicide too. Drive-offs at beautiful canyons and cliffs are unfortunately fairly common.

It's still possible that the driver was unable to brake due to something like a medical condition or panicking and hitting the gas instead, though.

Any news? I’m wondering if the driver was on his/her cell phone and maybe looked down for a quick few seconds, or as stated, had a medical issue like a heart attack, etc. Or again, was it intentional. Many options here.

Police searching for car seen in video driving off highway cliff

You would think someone would have reported a person or persons missing by now.
Connecting the dots.

MOO

You’re right...Strange...

ETA: thinking out loud, “Dark green Lexus SUV...”. Hmmm.

Any chance it’s a stolen vehicle? You think LE would know already if it was.

Can we zoom in and see if it’s a Cali plate? Maybe it’s an out of state vehicle since there hasn’t been a connection yet. Just a thought. Like LE wouldn’t have thought of that lol.

Is there a possibility that there wasn’t a driver and someone intentionally somehow sent it flying off the cliff for whatever reason?
Probably not, with the other traffic there, going both ways, at the time. I'd imagine the person with the dashcam would have pulled over and stopped, and seen any other person who'd gotten out of a vehicle.
I completely understand why it's so difficult to find the vehicle in the water, but like others have said, it's hard to understand why no one has reported a friend or family member or co-worker missing yet.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back