CA - Rayanna Nail, 10, dies of drug OD, Klamath, 31 July 2009

Thanks, I think we practically jinxed eachother, eh?

WHEN IT COMES TO KIDS BEING HURT JUST LIKE EVERYONE EALSE I SUSPECT TILL THERE ARE FACTS, THE PHONE CALL I SEEN THE RECORED I CAN SPEAK OF THAT AND KNOW ITS A FACT, THE VOMIT I SEEN THE PAN THE NEXT MORNING AND ALTHOUGH RINSED OUT IT WAS IN RAYS ROOM PLUS THERE WAS VOMIT ALL OVER HER MATTRESS THAT THE POLICE TOOK. DID SHE INSPECT THE VOMIT I BELIEVE SHE DID. UNLESS SOMETHING COMES UP FOR ME NOT TO, TO ME THATS JUST NOT SOMETHING THAT JUST COMES OFF THE TOP OF YOUR HEAD TO SAY UNLESS YOU HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT AND I THINK IF YOU THOUGHT ABOUT IT YOU WOULD HAVE DONE IT, AS FAR AS THE POCKETS, I BELIEVE SHE CHECKED THEM AFTER CLEANING UP THE PILLS AT GMAS BECAUSE THEN SHE KNEW THAT THERE WERE ILLS LYING AROUND AND RAY WAS NOT LYING ABOUT IT, BUT FOR THAT I WAS NOT THERE. AT 2:30 AM WHEN RAY STARTED GETTING SICK THERE WERE NO POCKETS TO GO THREW. SO SOMEWHERE BETWEEN GOING TO GMAS AROUND 7-7:15 PM AND 2:30 AM RAY TOOK PILLS. i BELIEVE SHE HID THEM AND TOOK THEM AROUND BED TIME BECAUSE IT TAKES PILLS 45-1 HR TO KICK IN AND THEY STAYED UP LATE PLAYING CARDS, SO I BELIEVE SHE TOOK THEM BETWEEN 11PM AND 12 AM THEN SHE STARTED TO GET SICK. aS FAR AS ANSWERING YOUR QUESTIONS, WHEN PEOPLE ASK THEM THE WAY YOU DID I HAVE NO PROBLEM ANSWERING, IT WAS A REFRESHING CHANGE FROM THE WAY I HAVE BEEN BEING ASKED. THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART FOR THE PRAYERS. GOD BLESS

Thank you. I apologize for asking such sensitive questions. I know this is a difficult time. Your response indicates to me that you have every reason to trust what your sister-in-law has told you.

I'm thinking there is much more to this story with Grandma, especially after reading the latest news that was posted by Steadfast.

My are with your family and little Ray. May the angels teach her how to fly high and soar in the skies!

Salem

Some points the defense and judge made:

"[Defense attorney]McElfresh also suggested that because Detective Barber testified he did not search Rayanna’s room, “she could have been hoarding it (medications) — we just don’t know.”

Nail [Mom]said Rayanna had been taking Avillify and Tegretol psychotropic medication for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and a bipolar disorder since she was 4 1/2 years old.

“She had been off of her medication for two months before her death,” said Nail.

[Judge] Follett asked if McElfresh or the witnesses knew the specific drug which caused Rayanna’s death.

“No one knows,” said McElfresh.

“You could have waited for a complete tox-screen,” said Follett, noting that McElfresh pushed to begin pre-trial before the toxicology results were in.

More at link:
http://www.triplicate.com/20090827106801/News/Local-News/Grandmother-to-stand-trial

Suppose I'm working on my car in my garage. I go inside to use the bathroom. I live by myself--no kids come into my house. Suppose also that while I am inside my house for, say, 3 to 5 minutes, some kid comes into my garage and drinks out of an open container of antifreeze. Am I guilty when this child dies? Just asking--

"A Klamath woman will go to trial on suspicion of causing her granddaughter’s overdose death last month.
Judge William Follett ruled Tuesday that there was sufficient evidence to try Terry Lane, 51, in the July 31 death of Rayanna Nail, 10.
Lane will face charges of involuntary manslaughter and child endangerment with two enhancements of causing great bodily injury and causing great bodily injury or death.
Del Norte District Attorney Mike Riese said the enhancements pertain to the child endangerment charge, alleging that Lane had “put the child in such a surrounding that you (Lane) caused this child to suffer prior to her death.
”

Much more at link, plus photos:
http://www.triplicate.com/20090827106801/News/Local-News/Grandmother-to-stand-trial

Am I missing something here?

"....Rayanna had been sent to Lane’s home to get potatoes for dinner at around 7:40 p.m. ..." "...Rayanna arrived back with the potatoes at around 8 p.m...." 20 minutes to go 2 spaces over?

"....At 8 p.m., Rayanna complained her back was itching, which was unusual, Nail said. Shortly thereafter, Nail said she went to Lane’s trailer to “take her dinner and there were pills everywhere.....”

"....At 9 p.m., Rayanna began “complaining of being really tired,” Nail said. At 2:30 a.m. July 31, “Rayanna said she was going to throw up, so I got her a pan,” Nail said.

Nail said she inspected Rayanna’s vomit for pills, due to her daughter’s previous overdose at Lane’s house last Dec. 29.

After finding no pills, Nail said she gave Rayanna “one Tylenol and she went to bed.”..."

Did none of this set off any alarms?? Long before 2:30am...and why would the 2:30am incident not give a red alert, no matter what was or wasn't found in her vomit? It took until 9:30 the next morning for it to register that maybe this child, who had OD'd before, might have gotten into the pills that were scattered, the 20 minutes she was there to pick up potatoes?

{green is mine}

Am I missing something here?

"....Rayanna had been sent to Lane’s home to get potatoes for dinner at around 7:40 p.m. ..." "...Rayanna arrived back with the potatoes at around 8 p.m...." 20 minutes to go 2 spaces over?

"....At 8 p.m., Rayanna complained her back was itching, which was unusual, Nail said. Shortly thereafter, Nail said she went to Lane’s trailer to “take her dinner and there were pills everywhere.....”

"....At 9 p.m., Rayanna began “complaining of being really tired,” Nail said. At 2:30 a.m. July 31, “Rayanna said she was going to throw up, so I got her a pan,” Nail said.

Nail said she inspected Rayanna’s vomit for pills, due to her daughter’s previous overdose at Lane’s house last Dec. 29.

After finding no pills, Nail said she gave Rayanna “one Tylenol and she went to bed.”..."

Did none of this set off any alarms?? Long before 2:30am...and why would the 2:30am incident not give a red alert, no matter what was or wasn't found in her vomit? It took until 9:30 the next morning for it to register that maybe this child, who had OD'd before, might have gotten into the pills that were scattered, the 20 minutes she was there to pick up potatoes?

{green is mine}

ITA! All kinds of alarms were going off for me also while I read that.

First to Stupidityiseverywher - Thank you for coming here and sharing your personal knowledge of this case with us. You let me see this case in a different light. May thoughts and prayers are with your Family.

Do not take my words (and others) as a personal assault on you. You come across as a loving Aunt, Sister & Mother. The internet is going to be tough for you to read since you are so close to this tragedy.

Cicada & Forum:

There are big problems with Mom's story here and I DO think that she should be charged.

If this was my Daughter, and with a history of taking GM"s pills, somewhere beween the "Itching at 8" and the "Very Tired at 9" there would have been a call to the Doctor!! At 2:30, if not there already, we would have been at the ER!

I'm still torn about whether GM should be charged in this but I definately think that Mom is at least guilty of Negect! Yes, she called GM before she sent her over but that doesn't mean her responsiblity ended there!!!:furious:

Some points the defense and judge made:

"[Defense attorney]McElfresh also suggested that because Detective Barber testified he did not search Rayanna’s room, “she could have been hoarding it (medications) — we just don’t know.”

Nail [Mom]said Rayanna had been taking Avillify and Tegretol psychotropic medication for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and a bipolar disorder since she was 4 1/2 years old.

“She had been off of her medication for two months before her death,” said Nail.

[Judge] Follett asked if McElfresh or the witnesses knew the specific drug which caused Rayanna’s death.

“No one knows,” said McElfresh.

“You could have waited for a complete tox-screen,” said Follett, noting that McElfresh pushed to begin pre-trial before the toxicology results were in.

More at link:

I wonder why she was off her meds for 2 months! Two months!?!

I wonder why she was off her meds for 2 months! Two months!?!

I know the doctor takes my nephew off his during the summer. Then he starts taking them again a week before school begins again. Don't ask me why because I don't understand it.

I know the doctor takes my nephew off his during the summer. Then he starts taking them again a week before school begins again. Don't ask me why because I don't understand it.

The ADD medicine, I can see that but not Bipolar medicine. Treatment for Bipolar is 24,7,365, summer, spring, winter, fall..until the day you die. I wonder if she was having problems with the dosing or side effects or whatever with her mood stabalizer. I cannot help but wonder, (now with this new info) if she was having difficulty with side effects (they don't always recommend these types of meds for children as they can cause suicidal ideations) or if she was improperly weaned from her meds causing this land slide.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back