CA Rebecca Zahau Nalepa Suicide or Murder? Media links & Timelines *NO DISCUSSION*

• Mansion Death Lawsuit: Adam Shacknai takes the stand

Mar 19, 2018By Jennifer Lothspeich

www.cbs8.com/story/37757922/mansion-wrongful-death-lawsuit-adam-shacknai-takes-the-stand

• Defendant in Zahau wrongful death suit says he didn’t kill her

MAR 19, 2018, BY MARIA ARCEGA-DUNN

fox5sandiego.com/2018/03/19/defendant-in-zahau-wrongful-death-suit-says-he-didnt-kill-her/

• Brother of Rebecca Zahau's boyfriend testifies in Coronado mansion death lawsuit trial

Mar 19, 2018 By Allison Horn

www.10news.com/news/brother-of-rebecca-zahaus-boyfriend-testifies-in-coronado-mansion-death-lawsuit-trial

• Adam Shacknai to Testify in Wrongful Death Suit of Rebecca Zahau

Mar 19, 2018 By NBC 7 Staff

www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Adam-Shacknai-to-Testify-in-Wrongful-Death-Suit-of-Rebecca-Zahau-477278283.html

• Shacknai testifies: 'Most certainly did not' kill Zahau

Mar 19, 2018 By Pauline Repard

www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/courts/sd-me-shacknai-testifies-20180319-story.html

• Tricia Griffith interview with author Caitlin Rother from 3.16.18

soundcloud.com/tricia-arrington-griffith/rebecca-zahau-wrongful-death-trial-with-websleuths-and-caitlin-rother

In looking for tonights Crime & Justice with Mary Z, I only found transcript of show with Dr. Wecht aired 3/13/18.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1803/13/ptab.01.html

PRIMETIME JUSTICE WITH ASHLEIGH BANFIELD

Pattern of Bombings in Texas Investigated by Police; Zahau Family Fighting for Rebecca`s Justice; Murder Or Suicide?; Deadly Tinder Affair; Bizarre Motive Revealed. Aired 6-8p ET

Aired March 13, 2018 - 18:00 ET

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

Up next; we are trying to unravel the mystery of how Rebecca Zahau died. And could she have actually done this to herself? Tie her hands and feet and then just hurl herself off a balcony naked? We will dig into that in a moment.

Also you can now listen to our show any time. Download our podcast on Apple podcast, iheart radio, Stitcher, Tune IN or wherever you get your

podcast for your CRIME AND JUSTICE fix.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

[19:24:21] BANFIELD: You would not think that it would take six and a half years and a whole lot of back and forth between experts and still no agreement on how a woman was killed especially when that woman was found naked and bound and gagged and hanging from the balcony of her boyfriend`s

mansion. But in San Diego, the experts refuse to agree that this beautiful woman, Rebecca Zahau was in fact murdered even after her family brought in

an expert into the courtroom who said the knots that bound her were indeed nautical. And it`s really weird to see video in a courtroom of the

mannequin, a mannequin that is very, very life like complete with painted toenails and painted fingernails. The judge requesting they at least drape

the midsection.

But this is what happened in this case. A boat captain, a retired boat captain coming in and actually binding the mannequin at the hands and at

the feet to show this is not only difficult. This is usually done by people who know nautical knots. Have a listen to what he said.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

[19:25:35] LINDSEY PHILPOTT, RETIRED BOAT CAPTAIN: When you use figure eight wraps, what happens is that you cross the individual wraps and you

create more friction on the object that you`re tying to as to make it more difficult for the object come apart.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

BANFIELD: To say that`s something creepy for a jury to absorb is an understatement.

With me now Miles Himmel. He is a reporter from KFMB AM 760.

Miles, as just a bit of backdrop because I think a lot of people are really into this case. You know, Rebecca Zahau was found hanging from that

balcony. And even though she was bound and gagged and naked, and tied up so intricately, the M.E. in that jurisdiction said that was suicide. And

in the civil case that her family has launched against the brother of her boyfriend who she and her family, you know, the family is pointing to him

as the killer, they say, they have done this. They brought all this sort of demonstration in. What`s the newest thing happening in this case?

MILES HIMMEL, REPORTER, KFMB, AM 760: Yes. Well, as of last week, you talk about the doll. This was fascinating, an $8,000. It`s actually a sex

doll that local company here makes. Like you talked about they covered it up. They showed how these knots were done and showed the rope would expand

this way and that way and would crack certain ways. And that was fascinating. And then this week, this week`s case they have gone over

$60,000 worth of exports coming into the courthouse. It`s fascinating week. And by the way, they are thinking later this week that Shacknai,

Adam Shacknai will take the stand.

BANFIELD: And Adam Shacknai is the brother of Jonah Shacknai (ph) just again to do some background here. Jonah is the boyfriend who owns the

mansion. And Jonah was Rebecca`s boyfriend and it was Jonah`s 6-year-old son who accidentally died in Rebecca`s care. And the theory by Rebecca`s

family goes that Jonah`s brother was so angry at what his brother`s girlfriend neglected to do, look after this little 6-year-old boy and he

died after a terrible fall that he killed Rebecca.

To be clear, the police never charged Adam Shacknai. To be clear, the police never called this a murder and to be clear, the M.E. never called it

a murder. And then this case comes along and another medical examiner, another expert, a pathologist name Dr. Wecht on the stand and says, no, no,

no. This was no suicide. Take me from there.

HIMMEL: Yes. That`s been the case. Everybody here in San Diego, at least if you not going to charge someone with murder, if you don`t believe you

have enough evidence against the Shacknais or whomever, just lever it open. But to call it a suicide, and everybody has been saying, where -- this is a

girl that had a strong religious background. Suicide is not within the realm if you talk to friends or family and why they made that leap is

beyond me. At least leave it open so you have Mr. Wecht take the stand like you talked about. He comes in and says this doesn`t look right. And

that`s been the whole case going on. And then you had (INAUDIBLE) to the courthouse today explaining the physics behind the hanging. Everybody here

in San Diego is saying why did they make that conclusion that it`s suicide?

BANFIELD: And so that I`m also clear, Miles, we are - think what a couple of weeks into this case now. It`s a civil case. It`s wrongful death case.

This is Rebecca`s family angry at the Shacknai brothers, but particularly one that they are pointing the finger and they are suing about Rebecca`s

death.

When (INAUDIBLE) took the stand, I want to play a quick moment, it was all about how the body of Rebecca was exhumed three months after the medical

examiner in your jurisdiction did the work and, you know, sign the certificates. So the body is exhumed and examined again by (INAUDIBLE) who

makes an opinion that ended up changing. So this is what this moment in court was about with Cyril Wecht on the stand. Have a look.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

DR. CYRIL WECHT, FORENSIC PATHOLOGIST: In my opinion, Rebecca Zahau`s death was a homicide. She was manually strangled and then it was set-up to

appear to be a suicide and hanging.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: In sight of your knowledge about these hemorrhages (ph), you concluded that her cause of death was a fixation by hanging. Is

that correct?

[19:30:07] WECHT: Argumenta and that`s an answer.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

BANFIELD: So what is interesting, Miles, is that that change which is exactly why I want to bring in Forensic Pathologist Cyril Wecht who joins

me now live.

Dr. Wecht, it`s good to have you on the program. I do want to ask you about your work in relation to the Rebecca Zahau case. I don`t understand

your science. You have to be way smarter than I am to do what you do. But I do understand changes in opinion and I`m always curious about that.

Initially, you said when you did your exam that Rebecca died from asphyxiation due to hanging and that her manner of death was undetermined.

Don`t know if it`s suicide, don`t know if it`s homicide. That manner was a tricky business. But then, your opinion changed ultimately. I think it

was two years later you said that you were leaning towards homicide instead of undetermined. And then, now, here we are five years later and it says

after additional research you have changed your opinion to the fact that she was strangled and that she was hit in the head. How did you come to

those determinations and why it would have taken so many years?

CYRIL WECHT, M.D., FORENSIC PATHOLOGIST: Ashleigh, I did the second autopsy back in 2011 and while I did agree at that time that the cause of

death appeared to be asphyxiation by hanging, I said that the manner of death should have been left as undetermined. I was extremely critical of

the fact that in just seven weeks they signed this case out and called it a suicide with no further investigation. It was six years later that I

received many additional materials and information from other experts. They`re not tying expert, they questioned document expert, that you know,

she save him, can you save her? The DNA expert, the kinesiologist, the forensic scientific criminalist, and I put that altogether.

The medical research led me also to the conclusion that this was a manual strangulation. While I had questions which I raised in 2011. That was

read in court yesterday in my report to Attorney Anne Bremner. I said that there was a strong likelihood that this could be manual strangulation. I

said that in 2011. What brought me to the conclusion that I was able to testify with reasonable medical certainty at this time was research that

showed that the cricoid cartilage, which is the first cartilaginous ring at the top of the trachea, well down below the Adam`s apple, was fractured.

And a -- I`ll just tell you very quickly, in one exhaustive research study by the top medical examiner`s office in Canada, of 2700 cases they found

one case in which the cricoid cartilage was fractured. And most of the forensic pathology textbooks including one that I have written, don`t even

mention that cricoid cartilage as being fractured in hanging.

The other thing is that when you review everything and give every detail ample consideration, think of this, this young woman, 5 -- 32 years old,

5`3", she`s got her ankles bound so tightly that the calves are contused, she`s got her wrist bound behind her back, and she`s got that shirt

overlying the ligature around her neck three times stuffed into her mouth, and there she is. And they have her getting up over a three-foot balcony

bound like that and then hurling herself down. The body was down nine feet, two inches, 26 inches from the ground. If you have a body that

hurdles in that fashion completely out of control in one fast swoop, you`re going to have probably partial decapitation. You`re going to have one or

more fractured dislocations of the cervical vertebrae as the neck is pulled up. She had no injuries at all to the cervical vertebrae. So --

BANFIELD: That`s a lot of information, then I`m trying to process it all and I have about 1,000 more questions but I`m out of time. So, I`m going

to ask you this, Dr. Wecht, will you come back and talk to me a little bit more about this? Because I want to know why you didn`t see that little

piece of cartilage broken the first time around or not broken the first time around. And I also want to know all about the notion for the lay guy,

like me, I`m with you. It sounds crazy that somebody would do this to herself in that manner and make it.

WECHT: And we think -- we think, too, Ashleigh, that she was nude. Point that --

(CROSSTALK)

BANFIELD: Yes. That whole part, too. And listen, everybody has a different, you know, thing but --

WECHT: Women do not commit suicide nude. Yes, thank you.

BANFIELD: That`s kind of where I`m at as well. But I`m out of time, but will you come back again because I do want to talk about all these things.

WECHT: Yes, with pleasure.

BANFIELD: This case is ongoing.

WECHT: My pleasure to be with you.

BANFIELD: And it will be interesting to see what happens. Dr. Wecht, thank you so much for that.

WECHT: My thanks. Thank you.

BANFIELD: My thanks to Miles Himmel as well.

• Former forensic evidence technician, Denys Williams testifies at the civil trial for the wrongful death of Rebecca Zahau - (Photo Gallery)

March 20, 2018 By Neil Cepeda

www.sandiegouniontribune.com/visuals/sd-pg-day-12-civil-trial-wrongful-death-rebecca-zahau-20180319-photogallery

• 1 of 3 claims in Zahau wrongful death lawsuit dismissed

March 20, 2018 By Pauline Repard

www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/courts/sd-me-shacknai-ruling-20180320-story

• Latest on Rebecca Zahau trial with Caitlin Rother

March 20, 2018 By KUSI Newsroom

www.kusi.com/latest-on-rebecca-zahau-trial-with-caitlin-

[video=YouTube;QRF23ig_Eig]QRF23ig_Eig[/video]

• Transcript of 3.20.18 interview with Atty Greer and Tricia
Courtesy of Imp :tyou:

soundcloud.com/tricia-arrington-griffith/keith-greer-32018

Tricia: Can the jury come back and say 'Yes, it was murder, but we don't think Adam did it, or we don't have enough evidence'? Can they come back with that sort of verdict? Or is it all or nothing?

Mr. Greer: You know, a lot of people are asking that question, and we don't know the answer to that yet. The judge did state that she would entertain an interrogatory for the jury on whether or not Rebecca Zahau committed suicide. Then the second question would be, if she didn't commit suicide, did Adam Shacknai murder her. So that will be determined within the next week or so, when we decide which way to go. We really haven't made a decision on whether ... you know, there are pluses and minuses to that, and we'll be making that decision in the next week.

Tricia: What are the pluses and minuses?

Mr. Greer: Well, I think the jury ... I think most people are going to think it's murder, and that the sheriff's department should have at least kept this investigation open, certainly not have declared it a suicide. And so to give a jury that option ... I think they want to help ... I think anybody looking at this would want to help the Zahau family. And if you say, okay, did she commit suicide and they say 'no,' they may at that point think they have helped ... that it should be looked at more, and then let somebody get off the hook who we feel, and we feel the evidence shows, actually did it.

I think juries tend to want to feel good about what they do, and I think with the evidence that's been presented, they will feel good about wanting to help the Zahau family ... you know, Rebecca didn't get a proper investigation, and she didn't commit suicide ... but then going and saying somebody else did it ... you know, when you go to accuse somebody of this - that's harder for human beings. It's harder to be judgmental. When you point a finger and say, 'You did this,' that's more of an awkward feeling than the good feeling of trying to help. And so, you know, I don't know which way is best. We'll be talking to the family, and again, if the evidence is strong enough, then they'll say both. So, we'll see.

Tricia: You need 9 out of 12 to win the civil case, right?

Mr. Greer: For there to be a valid verdict, 9 out of 12 people on the jury have to agree, and they have to agree by a preponderance of the evidence, meaning, it's more likely than not, meaning a greater than 50% chance that what we're saying is true. Does more evidence weigh in favor of our allegations, or does more evidence weigh against it.

Tricia: Do you feel as confident now that you'll get those 9 out of 12 jurors, or is it maybe looking like it is murder but maybe they won't find Adam guilty if they're able to make that decision?

Mr. Greer: You know, I feel the same, because the critical factor here, which we stated in our open, which we've stated in all our pleadings, and all the interviews I've had, is that whoever killed Rebecca left a message. Whether it was suicide or murder, the person left a message: She saved him can you save her. And even Detective Tsuida, who's the lead detective for the sheriff's department said on the stand, they were tossing around meanings of that saying and they ... the one they thought was most likely, uh, the proper interpretation was 'she saved him' was Rebecca saved Max, because everyone in the family felt at that time that Rebecca being there and giving Max CPR saved his life. Max was still in a tough spot, but at least he had a chance, because Rebecca was there and saved his life.

So if you use that as a characteristic of the culprit, that they were aware - whoever did this was aware that Rebecca had saved Max, that narrows the universe of people that could've done this down to a very small group because this wasn't in the press yet. It didn't get in to the press until Rebecca's hanging.

And so it really was close family members, first responders, and health care providers at the hospital where Max was. And we don't have any evidence that the first responders, you know, the fire department, the ambulance drivers, that they had anything to do with Rebecca's hanging. We don't have any evidence that the health care providers at the hospital had anything to do with it.

And then we narrow it down to looking at the family and we know that Jonah and Dina, the mother and father of the little boy, were at the hospital - we have them on videotape, so they were at the hospital. The other family and friends had left town that were there supporting the family, they'd flown out earlier that day, and so that really leaves Adam, and Rebecca as the two with that knowledge, so that makes it now either suicide or murder - suicide by Rebecca or murder by Adam - and I think the evidence is very powerful that Rebecca didn't commit suicide. So, my feelings haven't changed.

Tricia: So if they decide it's murder, they have no other choice but Adam Shacknai.

Mr. Greer: Well, there's no evidence of anybody. [My note: This sounded a little odd to me at first, but I get what he's saying here - there's no evidence, period, due to a couple of factors, but AS was the only other one there with knowledge of the message.]

WS Post -
www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?368493-Wrongful-death-trial-begins-Trial-coverage-and-discussion-2/page21

• Jonah Shacknai testifies at civil trial for the wrongful death of Rebecca Zahau

March 22, 2018 (Photo gallery)

www.sandiegouniontribune.com/visuals/sd-pg-day-14-civil-trial-wrongful-death-rebecca-zahau-20180322-photogallery

• Rebecca Zahau's Boyfriend Testifies in Coronado Mansion Wrongful Death Lawsuit

March 22, 2018 By NBC 7 Staff

www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Rebecca-Zahau-Wrongful-Death-Lawsuit-Jonah-Shacknai-Testifies-Adam-Shacknai-Spreckels-Mansion-Suicide-Death-477656813.html

•
Zahau's boyfriend: 'inconceivable' that his brother would be violent, involved in her death

March 22, 2018 By Gary Warth

www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/courts/sd-me-zahau-jonah-20180322-story.html

• Mansion Death Lawsuit: Jonah Shacknai takes the stand

March 22, 2018 By Jennifer Lothspeich

www.cbs8.com/story/37785775/mansion-death-lawsuit-jonah-shacknai-takes-the-stand

Coronado Mansion Death - Several related video links:

www.cbs8.com/category/216525/coronado-mansion-death-related-stories-videos-links

• Knot expert testifies for defense in Coronado mansion death case

March 26, 2018 By Sasha Foo

www.kusi.com/knot-expert-testifies-for-defense-in-coronado-mansion-death-case/

• Expert: knots used to tie Zahau's body consistent with suicides

March 26, 2018 By Gary Warth

www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/courts/sd-me-zahau-knots-20180326-story.html

• Zahau death lawsuit: San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office official to testify

Mar 26, 2018 By Jermaine Ong

www.10news.com/news/zahau-death-lawsuit-san-diego-county-medical-examiners-office-official-to-testify

• Knot expert shows how Zahau could have tied herself up

March 26, 2018 By Jaime Chambers

Fox5sandiego.com/2018/03/26/knot-expert-shows-how-zahau-could-have-tied-herself-up/

• Knot expert testifies at the civil trial for the wrongful death of Rebecca Zahau

March 26, 2018 By Nelvin Cepeda - (Photo gallery)

www.sandiegouniontribune.com/visuals/sd-pg-day-15-civil-trial-wrongful-death-rebecca-zahau-20180326-photogallery.html

• Mansion Death Lawsuit: Testimony wraps in Zahau wrongful death civil trial

March 27, 2018 By CBS8

www.cbs8.com/story/37823658/mansion-death-lawsuit-testimony-wraps-in-zahau-wrongful-death-civil-trial

• Marcia Clark Doesn`t Believe Rebecca Zahau`s Death Was Suicide

Video - March 27, 2018

www.dailymotion.com/video/x6gyjuo

• Suicide expert testifies Rebecca Zahau faced ‘elevated risk’ of suicide

March 27, 2018 By Sasha Foo

www.kusi.com/suicide-expert-testifies-rebecca-zahau-faced-elevated-risk-of-suicide/

• Marcia Clark doesn’t believe Rebecca Zahau’s death was a suicide

March 27, 2018 By Sandra Phillips

fox5sandiego.com/2018/03/27/marcia-clark-doesnt-believe-rebecca-zahaus-death-was-a-suicide/

• Expert Says DNA Evidence Supports Zahau Suicide Finding

March 27, 2018 By Paul Krueger

www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Defense-Expert-Says-DNA-Evidence-Supports-Zahau-Suicide-Finding-478120033.html

• Shacknai defense calls final experts, rests case

March 27, 2018 By Pauline Repard

www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/courts/sd-me-zahau-defense-20180327-story.html

Portions of the closing arguments from Monday April 2, 2018.

Keith Greer – part one:
[video=youtu;bJ3UqKMkzVc]http://youtu.be/bJ3UqKMkzVc[/video]

Keith Greer – part two:
[video=youtu;Kd4EJuZ-iw4]http://youtu.be/Kd4EJuZ-iw4[/video]

Dan Webb
[video=youtu;DXlYBv240mM]http://youtu.be/DXlYBv240mM[/video]

• Closing arguments underway in Zahau wrongful death trial

April 2, 2018 By Pauline Repard

www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/courts/sd-me-zahau-closing-trial-20180402-story.html

• Closing arguments made in civil lawsuit over death of Rebecca Zahau at Spreckels Mansion

April 2, 2018

www.10news.com/news/closing-arguments-made-in-civil-lawsuit-over-death-of-rebecca-zahau-at-spreckels-mansion

• Rebecca Zahau wrongful death case entering its final phase

April 2, 2018 By Sasha Foo

http://www.kusi.com/rebecca-zahau-wrongful-death-case-entering-its-final-phase/

• Mansion Death Lawsuit: Closing arguments begin in wrongful death suit

April 2, 2018

www.cbs8.com/story/37859797/mansion-death-lawsuit-closing-arguments-to-begin-in-wrongful-death-suit

Portions of Dan Webb’s closing argument, April 3, 2018.

[video=youtu;fDJZlv_mu38]http://youtu.be/fDJZlv_mu38[/video]

[video=youtu;6l6s2IYc1z4]http://youtu.be/6l6s2IYc1z4[/video]

• Jury deliberations begin in Coronado mansion death lawsuit

April 3, 2018 By Associated Press

www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/apr/3/jury-deliberations-begin-in-coronado-mansion-death/

• Rebecca Zahau Case wrap up

April 3, 2018 By Lisa Remillard - Video @ link w/Caitlin Rother

www.kusi.com/rebecca-zahau-case-wrap/

• Jurors in wrongful death trial to continue deliberations Wednesday

April 3, 2018 By KUSI Newsroom - Video @ link w/Caitlin Rother

www.kusi.com/jurors-in-wrongful-death-trial-to-continue-deliberations-wednesday/

• Jurors begin deliberations in Zahau wrongful death trial

April 3, 2018 By Pauline Repard

www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/courts/sd-me-zahau-jury-20180403-story.html

• Jury Faces 2 Questions in Spreckels Mansion Mystery

April 3, 2018 By Rory Devine

www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Mysterious-Death-at-Spreckels-Mansion-Jury-Adam-Shacknai-Zahau-478682333.html

• Zahau wrongful death case goes to jury

April 3, 2018 By Jaime Chambers

fox5sandiego.com/2018/04/03/zahau-wrongful-death-case-goes-to-jury/

• Was It Suicide or Murder at the Mansion?

April 3, 2018 By Bianca Bruno

www.courthousenews.com/was-it-suicide-or-murder-at-the-mansion/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa