CA CA - Redding, Female, >45, Found in A.C.I.D. Canal, Mar'13

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by CarlK90245, Apr 12, 2013.

1. CarlK90245

CarlK90245 UID Moderator Staff Member Moderator

This article references three UID's. But this thread is focused only on the third UID mentioned in the article:

http://www.redding.com/news/2013/ap...om-three-sets-of-bones-found/?partner=popular

[​IMG]

The other two threads can be found here:

CA CA - Redding, WhtMale, 35-55, In Henderson Open Space-Screws in Hand, Jul'12 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

... and here:

CA CA - Salt Creek, WhtMale, >50, Prosthetic in Shoulder-Prior Facial Trauma, Feb'13 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

BBM

2. Loading...

3. CarlK90245

Other items found with the remains:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. CarlK90245

Other items found with remains (Continued)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. CherBearSTL

CherBearSTL Member

Correct me if I'm seeing this incorrectly, but the 2 pictures of the ”tan trenchcoat” are 2 different garments. One looks like a dress and one looks like a coat. Does anyone else see that?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

6. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

Yeah, at first glance I assumed one was front view and the other back view but I think you're right. It does look like two different garments. One has a hood and one does not, and a trench coat does not open down both the front and back.

Odd combination of garments in any case. A slinky red halter dress with sneakers? Did she come home from a party and kick off her heels, then slip on a pair of tennies to run down to the corner store for a gallon of milk?

And that's quite a sewing kit to be carrying around. The usual portable sewing kit I'm familiar with has different colors of thread wrapped around a piece of cardboard rather than on spools. Perhaps related to her job or a hobby? Was she a crafter? Maybe a wardrobe mistress for an amateur stage production, something like that?

7. fred&edna

fred&edna Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that since more than one body was found... these garments/items were not tied to just one of them (imo) :dunno:

8. CarlK90245

The bodies were found in three different locations. And all of the images were referenced in the article as being found with the woman's remains.

9. CherBearSTL

CherBearSTL Member

10. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

11. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

Just took a second look at the sewing kit and noticed the pennies (those are pennies, right?), so size-wise I'm thinking it may not be significant after all. Did an image search and found several different kits with mini-spools and mini-scissors with orange handles.

12. carbuff

Yeah, looks like one of those little kits you can pick up at Woolworth's or whatever the modern equivalent is, or sometimes at better hotels and motels. I carry one when I'm traveling.

13. toscaxyz

toscaxyz Member

Interesting to note that quite a bit of the thread on some of the spools seems to have been used in the sewing kit, but only certain colors. When I've had little sewing kits like that, it's the white and black threads that go first, then maybe the red and the gray. The spool there that is most used up might have been white and one of the others black, though one of the full spools looks black, too. A lot of blue was used, too. There's a threader there, but I can't tell whether there are needles.

14. carbuff

I'm not totally sure, but I think the needle might be stuck through the thread on the gray spool.

15. toscaxyz

toscaxyz Member

I think you may be right.

I also noticed in the comments on the news article linked for the three bodies that this site is close to a homeless encampment. A homeless woman might well be wearing several layers of garments that don't necessarily go together and carrying a sewing kit or other items that she wanted to hold on to.

But we don't know if it was a homeless encampment at the times the three bodies ended up in the canal.

16. carbuff

The possible New Jersey connection made me think of this woman, who went missing in 1994.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/i/irizarry_elba.html

Not a lot of information about her, except that she had a drug problem and could easily have become homeless. There's plenty of time for her to have wandered to California.

17. tatertot

tatertot Member

I tried to hone in on the lotto keychain as a clue and it's driving me nuts.

My dad had/still has a similar keychain that I played with as a kid in the early 1980s, except his wasn't branded to a particular state's lottery. It had a clear plastic cover and plastic balls inside. You'd shake it, the balls would settle into the slight indentations over the numbers and you'd choose those for your ticket.

NJ appears to be the only state that actually calls its six-number lotto game "Pick 6," at least currently:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_six-number_lottery_games

The photo is blurry, but Jane Doe's keychain has eight rows of six numbers:

1----2---3---4----5----6
    7----8---9---10--11---12
    13--14--15--16--17---18
    19--20--21--22--23---24
    25--26--27--28--29---30
    31--32--33--34--35---36
    37--38--39--40--41---42
    43--44--45--46--47---48

That's a matrix of 48 numbers, and it's unclear whether NJ's Pick 6 game ever had exactly 48 numbers. It started with 36 numbers and currently has a matrix of 49.

History of NJ's Pick 6 Lotto game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey_Lottery#Pick-6_Lotto

NJ's Pick 6 lotto game began on May 9, 1980, originally with 39 numbers and progressing to a matrix of 49 numbers by September 2000.

The official NJ Lottery history page has slightly different information than Wikipedia:

http://www.state.nj.us/lottery/about/6-0_about.htm

May 1980: Pick 6 begins
    June 1984: Matrix upgraded to 39 instead of 36 numbers
    February 1986: Matrix upgraded to 42 numbers
    January 1989: Matrix now has 46 numbers

So, did LE assume this keychain originated in NJ because of the "Pick 6" logo or does it actually have a NJ lottery logo on the reverse side? If "Pick 6" was just a generic name printed on these keychains, they'd presumably have been sold in states that had 48-number games at the time. It wouldn't make sense to make a keychain for a 49-number game if it never let you pick the 49th number.

18. hannah1988

hannah1988 New Member

Good question! I found a very similar key chain for sale from someone in Winnipeg, CA, but it had 49 numbers instead of 48. Am I allowed to post that link here?

It looks like there's a Canadian lotto game called 6/49 that requires you to pick 6. I'm not sure of the history of that game, but maybe this keychain is from Canada and not NJ.

19. SpicySun

SpicySun New Member

Have they released any cause of death on the 3 found? This the area that Tera Smith disappeared from in 1998. I know they suspect the karate instructor and she's too young to fit any of these UIDs, but seems to be a lot of activity in this area during that time considering the entire county has only 177,000 people.

20. Odyssey

Odyssey Verfied Insider Diane Genice Dye

I just looked at Bettina Antone, who fit in every way except that Bettina had dentures.

She was missing from Redding, fits the height, and was supposed to have gone camping with 2 male friends.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/antone_bettina.html

I'm guessing they're sure the UID teeth are natural...

21. Odyssey

Odyssey Verfied Insider Diane Genice Dye

Meaning they're not thought to be connected?