CA CA - Rose Cole, 16, Oakland, 1972 - #2

While I would like to have contact between this thread and the family, I cannot fault them for having moved on. In my experience here at Websleuths, the family is more concerned with getting the story of its loved one out rather than hanging around here at WS and engaging in the discussion. If the family has learned Rose's fate, I do wish they'd share it. I assume though that the Coles are good people who are decent enough to not keep us all hanging.
We are still around, we still have no info about Rose, but we have never, and will never give up our search for her. There is not much we can do but basically sit and wait tha we will some day have a DNA match and finally have close. My dad Billy Cole told me his dad wasn’t a very nice individual and told the family after Roses court date to not worry about trying to contact her anymore. That she would be living in another state. Not only have we lost Rose but we lost contact with Pose also. Last time we seen or heard from him was in 1989 or 1990 at my Grandmas house in Alabama. He just quit contacting the family for some reason no one knows. My father figured he was in prison or something. Anyways I felt as though I’d drop an update

She was at Synanon, yes. The thread was visited early on by someone who had been at Synanon at around the same time who was able to contact friends. A few vaguely remembered Rose. She really wasn't there that long before she left and made her way to SF.
Hi - that was me. I lived in Synanon and have stated repeatedly that I'm certain that Synanon had nothing to do with her disappearance. Synanon hadn't turned weird during the time Rose was there. If anyone from Synanon went looking for her (which is extremely doubtful in itself), it would've been because she was a minor in Synanon's care. I was able to track down the "Ruth" mentioned in her letters home, but Ruth's recollection of Rose is extremely vague. I did see a picture of one of Synanon's kitchen/food service crews, and I think Rose might be in the picture (far right). I'm attaching here. What do you think?

No i was reading the old threads and seeing the sorts of things Synanon got up to.
That's NOT something that would have happened. In any given week in that timeframe, literally HUNDREDS of people came to Synanon and left Synanon. NO ONE got tracked down and killed. That's just stupid, and lazy sleuthing on your part. I lived in Synanon from 1974-1985, that's how I know.

We are still around, we still have no info about Rose, but we have never, and will never give up our search for her. There is not much we can do but basically sit and wait tha we will some day have a DNA match and finally have close. My dad Billy Cole told me his dad wasn’t a very nice individual and told the family after Roses court date to not worry about trying to contact her anymore. That she would be living in another state. Not only have we lost Rose but we lost contact with Pose also. Last time we seen or heard from him was in 1989 or 1990 at my Grandmas house in Alabama. He just quit contacting the family for some reason no one knows. My father figured he was in prison or something. Anyways I felt as though I’d drop an update
I'm sorry she has never been found. I have followed this story as I lived in Synanon from '74 to '85. I did not know Rose. I'm certain Synanon had ZERO to do with her disappearance. I did come across the attached picture recently and think that might be her in the picture -- what do you think?

Attachments

• Rose Cole.pdf
    177.2 KB · Views: 25

If this isn't allowed I apologize, the girl in the pic looks like maybe she could be Rose......there is also this pic.......

I know I read somewhere in one of the threads that she had visited the Synanon Ranch at one point....
I know a lot of people have wondered why no one remembered RC seeing how she was one of the youngest girls there, but I wonder if she couldn't pass as older, I have friends who could have passed for 19-22 at 15....just a thought....
No, there were lots of young people in Synanon at that time. I started going around when I was 12-1/2, in Santa Monica. I never met Rose but have been intrigued by her story. Certain Synanon had nothing to do with her disappearance as hundreds of people were coming in and leaving every week during that time frame. The girl in the picture you posted is named Vicki - not Rose. I did find the attached picture and think that might be Rose on the far right...

Attachments

• Rose Cole.pdf
    177.2 KB · Views: 6
No, there were lots of young people in Synanon at that time. I started going around when I was 12-1/2, in Santa Monica. I never met Rose but have been intrigued by her story. I am certain Synanon had nothing to do with her disappearance, as hundreds of people were coming in and leaving every week during that time frame, and a lot of that "evil cult" stuff is just soooo much hype. I did find the attached picture and think that might be Rose on the far right...

Attachments

• Rose Cole.jpg
    Rose Cole.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 25
Hi - that was me. I lived in Synanon and have stated repeatedly that I'm certain that Synanon had nothing to do with her disappearance. Synanon hadn't turned weird during the time Rose was there. If anyone from Synanon went looking for her (which is extremely doubtful in itself), it would've been because she was a minor in Synanon's care. I was able to track down the "Ruth" mentioned in her letters home, but Ruth's recollection of Rose is extremely vague. I did see a picture of one of Synanon's kitchen/food service crews, and I think Rose might be in the picture (far right). I'm attaching here. What do you think?
That is close. I can't say it's a 100% match.

rose_lena_cole_1.jpg
rose_lena_cole_2.jpg

Rose Lena Cole, age 16
Missing since September 1972

LINK:

That is close. I can't say it's a 100% match.
The more I look at the comparisons, the more I believe the woman in the group picture is in fact Rose. I belong to several Synanon groups on the Internet, and unfortunately, no one remembers her. I was even able to track down her friend that she mentioned in her letters home, but sadly, she had no helpful information either.

Still think about Rose sometimes. It was one of the first thread that I read on websleuths (the first and second one, which took hours) and since then her story has haunted me, in the sense that I often think about it. I do really wonder what happened to her ..
Rose, wherever you are, just know you are not forgotten

Has this Jane Doe from Palm Desert ever been compared to Rose? I followed the Rose Cole case starting nearly a decade ago. I was the "Umbrella Pogo" who commented on the Whereabouts Still Unknown blog post. I remember that over the years I sent in two different emails to medical examiner's offices - both of which came to nothing after Rose was added to the exclusion list.

Yesterday I was looking a post-mortem photo of a Jane Doe who was discovered off of highway 74 in Palm Desert, California in 1980. This Jane Doe is listed as a cold case on the Riverside County Sheriff's Office website as a suspected homicide. This Jane Doe is listed in NamUs as UP: 7139.

As soon as I saw 7139, I thought back ten years to when I was looking for people who resembled Rose. While the teeth look different when compared to Rose's one teenage-era photo in the other suspected photo of Rose (in the culinary uniform) I see more similarities. Also, I have read more than one post that described Rose's hair and "short and wavy" and her skin as "milky and pale" - which are all adjectives I would use to describe the Palm Desert Jane Doe in 1980.

Just curious if this has ever been discussed on any of Rose's threads here on WS. I can't figure out an easy way to search or query the threads here.

Has anyone compared Rose Cole to the Palm Desert Jane Doe?

Link to Riverside County Sheriff's Office listing: #1980-44366 | Riverside County Sheriff, CA

Attachments

• Palm_Desert_1980_Jane_Doe.pdf
    254.7 KB · Views: 5

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member