CA CA - Sacramento, Wht/HispMale UP2410, 18-25, in Southside Park, Jan'80

UP2410 looks like Craig Steven Chiarappa missing from a VA Hospital in CT 1976. Trying to resize his picture for easier comparison but his features are quite similar.

Craig's NamUs information states that he occasionally wears a mustache and goatee. Within age range and height range. Weight not too far off.

View attachment 351364View attachment 351366
Dbm

2847UMCA

I find this case intriguing for multiple reasons. Unlike most murder cases where a victim is found hours, days, weeks, etc. after they've been killed, this man had only been dead for a matter of minutes when he was discovered. His face and body would have been unusually "fresh" (so to speak) and easy to identify, yet no one has. He was well-dressed with recent dental work and was most certainly not a transient. I do find it odd though that no actual post-mortem pics were released considering how recently he died. The sketches aren't bad, but they kind of look like he should be a character in a cheesy 70s cartoon show or comic strip.

Burger King employees stated that he mentioned that he had recently arrived from LA. I wonder in what context he said this. Was it just basic small talk to the cashier while he waited for his order? Or was he conversing with another patron and the employees just happened to overhear him? Did he say anything else that may have been a clue? Fast food restaurants, particularly those in places like bus stations and airports, are usually pretty busy, so there must have been something that made this particular man stand out in the minds of the employees who see hundreds of customers come and go daily. If the Burger King cup was found near his body, he probably was just there before he died. Perhaps that's why they remember him so well.

His body was found in an empty stadium at around 9pm. What was he (and his killer, for that matter) doing there? That doesn't sound like a place you go to at that hour without a specific reason, and you almost certainly wouldn't just accidentally get lost and wander in even if you're new to the area. Could he have been involved in a drug deal gone wrong? I just can't really think of any other reason why this man would have been essentially trespassing in the sports arena after dark.

What I find particularly curious is the anonymous phone call to police. Since his death occurred so shortly before police arrived, I think it's very possible that the caller either witnessed the murder or was even the killer himself/herself. When they say "minutes prior" for his time of death, I take it they mean less than an hour or else they would have just said "x hours prior". In an empty stadium at that time of night, who else would have entered in such a narrow window of time to discover the victim?

Sadly, with this case being close to 40 years old, I have a feeling that the answers to at least some of these questions have been lost to time.
hes been identified, no name released

I had not noticed the HS inside his sneakers..I am assuming his initials and yes Bobby88 I think the person that called had something to do with his murder.

I found his flyer

dump_1.gif
he is no longer a john doe :) but still no name :(

I think 1980 was early for the whole norteno / sureno thing. they were in the prisons since the late 60's, but the streets got deep like this in the late 80's. there were def local street level gangs at the time that would have side eyed an outsider.

I think 1980 was early for the whole norteno / sureno thing. they were in the prisons since the late 60's, but the streets got deep like this in the late 80's. there were def local street level gangs at the time that would have side eyed an outsider.
i also grew up on 6th and S street :) this has always been on mind mind

I actually never considered the prison angle, but it makes a lot of sense. If he was in jail for something like drugs or gang activity, maybe a former associate held some type of grudge and killed him. Or they tried to tempt him back into his old lifestyle and he refused. Being shot directly in the head almost sounds like calculated execution, particularly since there's no mention of any other injuries or bruises on him. If there were no signs of a struggle, he may very well have known or felt comfortable with his killer.

Marika, did the psychic give you any other information? The possibility of him going to see someone at a nearby clinic is intriguing. I wonder what was meant by that person, upon learning of John Doe's death, deliberately kept silent for fear of jeopardizing their career.

:) i am dying for details!!!!
Just recently I was searching for updates for this doe. He is no longer listed on the Sacramento County Coroner’s webpage for Unidentified Persons, and, unfortunately, their case search only goes back 5 years. It does say, however, that for cases older than 5 years you need to contact the coroner or county records so maybe there is a chance there, if you want to give it a try.

This is the case search link: Decedent Search Page

Just recently I was searching for updates for this doe. He is no longer listed on the Sacramento County Coroner’s webpage for Unidentified Persons, and, unfortunately, their case search only goes back 5 years. It does say, however, that for cases older than 5 years you need to contact the coroner or county records so maybe there is a chance there, if you want to give it a try.

This is the case search link: Decedent Search Page
I also read that too, but I was thinking maybe they have not released the name because next of Ken, however he should be unclaimed and the name should still be released. I’m going to work on that now.

I also read that too, but I was thinking maybe they have not released the name because next of Ken, however he should be unclaimed and the name should still be released. I’m going to work on that now.
so I did call the county records and he’s not listed as a John Doe. The system has just not been updated yet, so they’re still no name it needs to be amended. So I’m gonna try to contact the sheriff.

Exciting, I wonder if we'll ever get to know the story. Maybe someone can check for any missing persons cases removed from Namus as well? I had submitted Donald Cary Ewalt, but alas, he is still missing.
These are the missing men who went missing up to 1980 whose NamUs profiles were removed in the past year. The first one on the list went missing after JD was found, I only noticed after preparing the picture and I'm too lazy to redo it. :D Please note that the Date removed is in DD/MM/YYYY format.

Male MPs up to 80s.png

That's amazing. May I ask how you get this info?
I copied all the cases on NamUs (MPs, UPs and UCPs) into Excel spreadsheets and keep track of all the changes daily (cases added/removed). I put all the removed cases in a separate tab so I can see more easily which ones were removed and apply filters when needed.
Also, I keep a daily log for each state that I corroborate with the dashboard for Open/Resolved Cases so I can make sure I don’t miss anything.
Basically, manual work and a bit of spare time. Unfortunately I’m not tech savvy enough to find a quicker, easier automated way. :)

These are the missing men who went missing up to 1980 whose NamUs profiles were removed in the past year. The first one on the list went missing after JD was found, I only noticed after preparing the picture and I'm too lazy to redo it. :D Please note that the Date removed is in DD/MM/YYYY format.

View attachment 505132
Gilchrist was identified as a John Doe found in Florida.

View attachment 505132
Thank you!!! I will look into these, but most likely he wasn't reported missing :( I reached ou to the detective haven't heard anything back.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ebg8
Back