Identified! CA - San Diego, WhtFem 598UFCA, 20-40, in orange suitcase, Jun'73 - Arminda Grangeia Rodrigues da Silva Ribeiro

Just added to NamUs:

Beatrice Calderon

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/27901/0

Could she be Orange Suitcase?

I like her looks compared to the reconstruction but the doe is described to have:

"There was a ½“ birthmark on her left outer thigh, similar to a mole. There were also two smallpox-type vaccination marks on her right shoulder and possibly a small round scar on her left cheek"

The MP had
"Twelve (12) inch surgical scar on stomach.
Two (2) small moles on right cheek."

If they mentioned a "possible" small scar it seems like they wouldn't have omitted a mention of a definite 12 inch surgical scar.

I like her looks compared to the reconstruction but the doe is described to have:

"There was a ½“ birthmark on her left outer thigh, similar to a mole. There were also two smallpox-type vaccination marks on her right shoulder and possibly a small round scar on her left cheek"

The MP had
"Twelve (12) inch surgical scar on stomach.
Two (2) small moles on right cheek."

If they mentioned a "possible" small scar it seems like they wouldn't have omitted a mention of a definite 12 inch surgical scar.

Although, to be fair, this Jane Doe was dismembered. So they may have removed the skin where the surgical scar was...

All I can think of when I see this lady is the Beth Doe case. She and Beth certainly look similar... I actually thought of Beth before I read that she was found dismembered in a suitcase!
Maybe I'm grasping at straws but could the two cases be related? Sure, they were found across the country from another but i feel like it's worth checking into.

All I can think of when I see this lady is the Beth Doe case. She and Beth certainly look similar... I actually thought of Beth before I read that she was found dismembered in a suitcase!
Maybe I'm grasping at straws but could the two cases be related? Sure, they were found across the country from another but i feel like it's worth checking into.
As I see it too yea I believe so.. maybe the two women were relatives maybe???

As I see it too yea I believe so.. maybe the two women were relatives maybe???

I don't think they're relatives. Then again, I can’t find a NamUs page for Orange Suitcase (possible good news?) so I don't know if her DNA is on file, but I feel like DNA would've connected her to Beth. Isotope testing on OS would be helpful as well, since we know that Beth was native to Europe.
My thought is that they were both killed by a serial killer with a physical preference (in this case, stocky dark-haired women). Imo it seems a lot more likely that they were killed by the same person than that they were relatives.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Original

Decedent was found in a large red plastic suitcase lying on the rocks under the boardwalk in San Diego Bay adjacent to Laurel Street and Harbor Drive.

I think so, strange considering the Doe Network gave the date of discovery as June 17, and NamUs as June 13th. NamUs now states the suitcase is red instead of orange.
San Diego Jane Doe's DoeNetwork page has been updated and it is the same woman:

598UFCA
598UFCA1.jpg
598UFCA.jpg

Reconstruction of the victim (left by Sandy Martin).

Date of Discovery: June 13, 1973
Location of Discovery: San Diego Bay, San Diego County, California
Estimated Date of Death: Recent
State of Remains: Traumatic injuries
Cause of Death: Homicide by stabbing

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 20-40 years old
Race: White
Sex: Female
Height: 5'1" to 5'6"
Weight: 150 lbs.
Hair: Brown to black, medium length.
Eye Color: Brown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Well-kept nails. There was a ½" birthmark on her left outer thigh, similar to a mole. There were also two smallpox-type vaccination marks on her right shoulder and possibly a small round scar on her left cheek or below her mouth. A blood type.

Identifiers
Dentals: Unknown. "Perfect teeth."
Fingerprints: Not available. Her fingertips had been amputated.
DNA: Unknown.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Unknown.
Jewelry: Unknown.
Additional Personal Items: Unknown.

Circumstances of Discovery
On June 13, 1973 San Diego police discovered the body of a young woman underneath the pier at the foot of Laurel Street.

The woman’s body had been dismembered and placed into a reddish-orange suitcase and several green plastic garbage bags.

The woman was never identified, nor was the perpetrator and the motive behind her death remains a mystery.

Although the woman’s remains were found in San Diego, investigators at the time thought she might have been from the Los Angeles area.

She was possibly of Portuguese or Italian descent.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Tessa Lee
Agency Phone Number: 858-694-2895
Agency E-Mail: N/S
Agency Case Number: 1973-00149

Agency Name: San Diego Police Department
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 619-531-2000
Agency E-Mail: akjohnson(at)pd.sandiego.gov
Agency Case Number: 73-27728

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 58950

Information Source(s)
NamUs
San Diego Police (archived)

----------------

I'll ask for the threads to be merged.

I still think this is the mother of Beth Doe.

3e3c1c4a-6f60-11ee-8b87-0242ac170003.jpg

With the leads in-hand, San Diego Police investigators were able to eventually identify the unknown homicide victim as Arminda Grangeia Rodrigues da Silva Ribeiro born September 16, 1943 in Portugal. Investigators learned that Ribeiro lived in the Ironbound neighborhood of Newark, NJ, prior to her death. Additionally, she still had family who lived in that area.

After getting married and having two children, her family emigrated from Covões, Portugal, to Newark, NJ, which is home to a large Portuguese community. After speaking with people who knew of Ribeiro, investigators learned that she worked at a trailer fabrication company in 1973. Even though San Diego also has a large Portuguese community, it is unknown what connection Ribeiro may have had between Newark and Southern California.

Identified as Arminda Grangeia Rodrigues da Silva Ribeiro born September 16, 1943 in Portugal.

Sleep well, Arminda.

With the financial assistance of the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System, Othram — a private, forensic biotechnology company — was able to develop a DNA profile.

Investigators learned that Ribeiro was born in Portugal. According to SDPD, her family emigrated to the Ironbound neighborhood in Newark, NJ, which has a large Portuguese community.

Ribeiro was also married and had two children. She still has family living in the Newark area, Campbell added.

At the time of her disappearance, investigators say she worked at a trailer fabrication company in Newark. It is still unknown what connection Ribeiro may have had to San Diego

Some Does, it's baffling why they go so long without ID. But with Arminda, she was literally the other side of the country from her known family and community roots and employment. Half a world away from the country of her birth. We may never know how she ended up in San Diego.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlackBalled
Back