Identified! CA - San Joaquin Co., WhtFem 320UFCA, 29-41, Gorilla hiking boots, Mar'95 - Amanda Lynn Schumann Deza

The fact that they didn’t steal her diamond ring and they put pillows and blankets in the fridge makes me think it was domestic violence or someone who knew her committing a quick crime of passion. The fridge must have been from the ‘70s or maybe ‘80s, when that gold / mustardy color was popular.

Identified by Othram
A follow-up investigation contacting the victim’s possible mother and daughter was made. They provided their DNA sample to compare, confirming the identification of Amanda Lynn Schumann Deza, born August 11, 1965.

Now that Amanda has been identified, we are looking for clues to her disappearance. We know that Amanda was separated from her husband and had three young children at the time of her disappearance. Speaking with the family, she was last seen at an unknown apartment complex in the city of Napa with an unidentified male she met in a rehabilitation facility.

Screen Shot 2023-02-23 at 4.02.03 PM.png

Identified by Othram
A follow-up investigation contacting the victim’s possible mother and daughter was made. They provided their DNA sample to compare, confirming the identification of Amanda Lynn Schumann Deza, born August 11, 1965.

Now that Amanda has been identified, we are looking for clues to her disappearance. We know that Amanda was separated from her husband and had three young children at the time of her disappearance. Speaking with the family, she was last seen at an unknown apartment complex in the city of Napa with an unidentified male she met in a rehabilitation facility.

View attachment 405057

Investigators believed she had been in the refrigerator for several months prior to being found, and her body had obvious signs of injury.

The sheriff’s office says new science and technology — investigative genealogy — helped them identify her.

Last year the sheriff’s office and medical examiner’s office partnered with Othram and they sent skeletal evidence to the company’s lab for a DNA extract and genome sequencing.

Othram returned a DNA profile and their team identified leads for the victim’s family or relatives, leading investigators to the victim’s mother and daughter.

DNA samples revealed the identity of the victim as Amanda Lynn Schumann Deza.

With her identity, investigators have released more information about her life around the time she was killed.

The sheriff’s office says Deza was separated from her husband and had three children when she disappeared. Her family says she was last seen at an apartment complex in Napa with an unidentified man she met in rehab.

Usually refrigerators belong to apartment complexes and even if not, would be hard to remove with no one noticing, although if it was a ground floor apartment that could have been accomplished. Not that the fact she was last seen at an apartment means she died there or that that man was responsible for her death. Did he live there? Perhaps the guy who killed her, whoever it was, had something to do with a refrigerator/ appliance business and picked up old refrigerators and replaced them and the thought occurred to him it would be a good way to hide her body?

It is tempting to think of notorious serial killers first but there are plenty of other people who killed and got away and probably lived a good life afterwards without ever being discovered.

It is tempting to think of notorious serial killers first but there are plenty of other people who killed and got away and probably lived a good life afterwards without ever being discovered.
I agree that we don't know at this point, and that with an ID we might have a better idea who might have done this to Amanda. The potential connection with Rasmussen isn't a new thing, though, or proposed originally by people on this forum. It's been considered seriously by law enforcement for a while. Now that we know Amanda's identity, maybe they'll be able to pin down whether she actually crossed paths with him, or if she was more likely killed by someone else entirely.

Usually refrigerators belong to apartment complexes and even if not, would be hard to remove with no one noticing, although if it was a ground floor apartment that could have been accomplished. Not that the fact she was last seen at an apartment means she died there or that that man was responsible for her death. Did he live there? Perhaps the guy who killed her, whoever it was, had something to do with a refrigerator/ appliance business and picked up old refrigerators and replaced them and the thought occurred to him it would be a good way to hide her body?
bbm One of TR's "jobs" at the place he was staying in the 90's (the corner store in San Pablo) was to clear out junk from the back of the store. I can't remember the exact wording. That could explain it if it was him.
But my first thought was that Amanda was blonde, and his known gf's/ wives had dark hair.
No biggie maybe.
Will be interesting to hear more of her story.

Part of me doesn't want this to be TPR because this will mean another victim he managed to get away with killing in life. But on the other hand, if he was in rehab then it meant that for a while at least he wasn't out killing people.

View attachment 405098View attachment 405099
More recent photos of Amanda.
I’m surprised she has blonde hair, surprised she has a mother and 3 daughters (imo, looks like girls from the photos). Even an estranged husband may report the mother of his children missing in some circumstances.

If she had challenges with drugs/alcohol and rehab, I still think someone would file a missing persons report years later when she didn’t turn up. I know we’re looking at these cases here on WS all the time, but I’m stunned by how many of our missing persons are never reported missing, even by family who clearly don’t have anything to do with the crime. In some cases, I’m guessing police said she’s an adult, she’s allowed to disappear.

All imo, I just feel sad she was unidentified for so many years and glad Othram gave her name and identity back to her. How tragic for her children and other loved ones.

The fact that they didn’t steal her diamond ring and they put pillows and blankets in the fridge makes me think it was domestic violence or someone who knew her committing a quick crime of passion. The fridge must have been from the ‘70s or maybe ‘80s, when that gold / mustardy color was popular.
My thoughts as well. Bundled carefully with so much jewelry and a wedding ring. Not reported missing!? Those poor children!

I’m surprised she has blonde hair, surprised she has a mother and 3 daughters (imo, looks like girls from the photos). Even an estranged husband may report the mother of his children missing in some circumstances.

If she had challenges with drugs/alcohol and rehab, I still think someone would file a missing persons report years later when she didn’t turn up. I know we’re looking at these cases here on WS all the time, but I’m stunned by how many of our missing persons are never reported missing, even by family who clearly don’t have anything to do with the crime. In some cases, I’m guessing police said she’s an adult, she’s allowed to disappear.

All imo, I just feel sad she was unidentified for so many years and glad Othram gave her name and identity back to her. How tragic for her children and other loved ones.
Amanda Deza, you have your name back. It’s amazing how many cases are being solved especially the rate of solving cold cases, the most momentum there’s ever been in so many cases years after the fact.

8AD66093-89FD-44F4-81D4-5FE56A696534.jpeg

Also probably there are potentially many John and Jane does who’s bodies have never been found also imagine the amount of missing people who had no missing persons report filed for them or report was thrown out especially back in the 70s 80s and 90s and who’s bodies haven’t been found.

Last edited:
Does the stuff in the refrigerator match up with her last known location in Napa? Or does it suggest she was in fact murdered somewhere else ( or that the refrigerator came from somewhere else-perhaps for example, it belonged to a friend or family member of the killer, and he offered to dispose of it for them or something)? Also, the milk was said to be distributed to institutions..perhaps even rehabs?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back