Found Deceased CA - Sandy Giles, 44, Earp, 13 May 2017

Also, her phone. I wonder if she didn't have a car phone charger and that's why she didn't use the phone because there was no juice left.

Her car was only a few years old. Mine's older than hers and has a USB port in the glovebox that can be used to charge a phone. I wonder if her car had one but she didn't know about it.

I think this was reported much earlier but the whole thing was so confused that it might not have been picked up on.

If she was there for several days, it's all the more puzzling that she didn't phone her family to wire her some money and then make it to the Walmart in Parker to pick it up. I'm not clear exactly where her car was left but it was close to both the Earp post office and the Oasis mini mart. Even if her mobile phone battery was dead and she was unable to charge it in her car, she could have gone to either the PO or the mini mart and asked to make an urgent phone call, even if she had to pay $1 to do so.

The 13th of May was a Saturday. Even if the PO might have been closed until the Monday, maybe the mini mart wasn't. Either way, if she was near her car for several days she should still have been there on the Monday.

ETA that Earp PO was closed on Saturday and Sunday but opened at 8am on Monday.

http://www.postallocations.com/ca/earp/earp

If Sandy arrived in Earp early on Saturday evening and was alive near her car for 2 or more days, she had to have been alive when the PO reopened.

I guess two days could have easily been one.
out of gas at 5 pm essex.. make it to Earp around dark, get stuck.
Decide to spend the night and walk in the morning.
Spend a very cold night, decide to leave in the morning before it gets hot.
And sadly it's all just too much.
I guess it's possible nothing nefarious happened at all.

I can't find the post about a homicide investigation but the coroner decides the following.

Her car was only a few years old. Mine's older than hers and has a USB port in the glovebox that can be used to charge a phone. I wonder if her car had one but she didn't know about it.
Oh. I'm still living in the Ice Age. I have to stick the charger in the cigarette lighter.

Speaking of cigarettes.....they found those and her keys near her which indicate to me, she was taking a walk. And maybe she didn't take her purse because she had no money and no cards and it was too heavy to walk with it a couple miles. Also, the phone was probably useless.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

And maybe she didn't take her purse because she had no money and no cards and it was too heavy to walk with it a couple miles. Also, the phone was probably useless.

If we're talking about the Monday, I'd have thought she'd have needed to take her bag with her because she'd presumably need to show ID in order to collect money sent to her.

Looking at the geography of the Parker area, I notice that the Walmart doesn't seem to have a cafe inside the store (most large supermarkets in the UK have a cafe-*advertiser censored*-restaurant on site). So if she was planning to put a call into her family to wire her money she would probably have had to go to the McDonalds or Starbucks across the road to kill time with a coffee until her money came through. I'd imagine she could get a basic burger and a coffee for $2 at McDonalds.

I see there's Western Union at the Safeway as well, and both supermarkets would have opened at 5am on the Sunday.

https://local.safeway.com/safeway/a...ource=G&utm_medium=Maps&utm_campaign=G+Places
https://www.walmart.com/store/4543/parker-az/details

The fact that she seems to have hung around near her car for a couple of days when she could have got funds wired to her on Sunday morning and been on her way by lunchtime seems really strange to me.

So what was going on?

Mine does too. My Honda wouldn't charge if the engine wasn't running, my Ford did. If she ran out of gas and her engine wasn't running, she might not have been able to charge her phone, even with a charger.

A couple of days? She was stranded over by the turn into Parker wasn't she? That's near an intersection so I would have thought help would have been available.

Without going back, am I remembering correctly that the policeman who helped her when her car was being towed and who asked her if she was okay, found the car on the side of the road the next day and immediately realized it was the same person? So I thought her car was discovered abandoned the next day and that's what alerted authorities she might be in trouble? (Sorry I forget so much when cases start dragging.)

A couple of days? She was stranded over by the turn into Parker wasn't she? That's near an intersection so I would have thought help would have been available.

Without going back, am I remembering correctly that the policeman who helped her when her car was being towed and who asked her if she was okay, found the car on the side of the road the next day and immediately realized it was the same person? So I thought her car was discovered abandoned the next day and that's what alerted authorities she might be in trouble? (Sorry I forget so much when cases start dragging.)
no, the officer helped her on the 13th..the car was on the side of the road and tagged by CHP on the 16th.
The alert came from family when they got concerned.
If memory serves it was the missing person/description of car report that sparked the original officer's memory.

She may not have taken into account the cost of her trip home going solo.

That's something else that's strange.

At Essex she managed to find some cash to buy a few gallons of fuel and then paid $50 to the tow truck guy not to take her car away.

I'm guessing she set off back to Alabama with no more than $100, and probably much less.

To set off alone and across a sparesely populated desert with very little cash and no plastic seems a very rash thing to do, and not the sort of thing anyone, especially a woman, would do lightly which makes me wonder if there was more to her leaving than simply people getting on each other's nerves.

I'm interested in whether the hot, dry air of the desert would have triggered an asthma attack or made her COPD bad enough to kill her regardless of any injuries she might or might not have sustained. I'm a lifelong asthmatic, and for me the triggers are cold air and very damp air, though I appreciate it may be different for others. The last time I had a major attack was in summer 2016 when we had had heavy rain every day for almost 3 weeks.

At Essex she managed to find some cash to buy a few gallons of fuel and then paid $50 to the tow truck guy not to take her car away.

I'm guessing she set off back to Alabama with no more than $100, and probably much less.

To set off alone and across a sparesely populated desert with very little cash and no plastic seems a very rash thing to do, and not the sort of thing anyone, especially a woman, would do lightly which makes me wonder if there was more to her leaving than simply people getting on each other's nerves.

I'm interested in whether the hot, dry air of the desert would have triggered an asthma attack or made her COPD bad enough to kill her regardless of any injuries she might or might not have sustained. I'm a lifelong asthmatic, and for me the triggers are cold air and very damp air, though I appreciate it may be different for others. The last time I had a major attack was in summer 2016 when we had had heavy rain every day for almost 3 weeks.
The gas at Essex may have been donated by a good Samaritan.

I'm not sure Sandy gave a lot of thought to the return trip. (I wonder how the 3 she took with her got back to Alabama?)

It seems like her return trip was one misstep or poor decision after another.

Homicide? Really? Wow. Then this case is far from over. I wonder what they found that is pointing detectives towards homicide? Was she forced off the road and that's why she got stuck? Was she run down by a vehicle in pursuit of her on foot?

Where is the gas can? This report puts a lot whole new complecion on things.

Now I really can't wait for the autopsy report. Wow.
The FB post says investigating as a homicide.... doesn't mean it is one... I'm seeing more and more LE doing investigations where if answer not immediately clear, LE will default to homicide, so potential evidence isn't lost etc.

They didn't say it is one and I will be surprised if it is. My guess is series of small problems led to bigger ones and probably the desert (heat etc) will be cause ultimately. Very sad..

MOO

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The gas at Essex may have been donated by a good Samaritan.

Possibly.

I'm not sure Sandy gave a lot of thought to the return trip.

Agreed. I've not even seen any mention of her leaving a note for her SIL to say she was leaving. And why not wait a few hours and phone her family in AL on the Saturday morning and arrange a money transfer to pick up before setting off? If she didn't want to spend any more time with her SIL she could have spent a couple of hours elsewhere nursing a coffee or two until her money came through.

It seems like her return trip was one misstep or poor decision after another.

Yes, I've been thinking about Sandy's case in parallel with that of Lisa Harvey, another middle aged woman still missing in CA. I have no doubt Lisa is also dead and her body awaiting discovery. Both seem to have acted very rashly and with very poor judgement, making not just one but compound errors. Yet when we talk about women coming to grief on the interstates or cross country journeys people seem to automatically think about serial killers.

I as surprised to learn she had two other traveling companions besides her SIL. Something happened to make her slink off in the middle of the night without money. Something more than getting on each other's nerves. Wonder if we I'll ever know what that is.

As mentioned above, she could have stopped somewhere and waited for money to be sent to her. However, she thought she had $50 more towards gas that ended up going towards the two truck dude. Pity, had she filled up earlier, she would have had the gas she needed to get to the money pick up point and none of this outdoor have happened.

Al whole array of bad decisions and mistakes made. One thing could have been different and the outcome would have been different.

As mentioned above, she could have stopped somewhere and waited for money to be sent to her. However, she thought she had $50 more towards gas that ended up going towards the two truck dude. Pity, had she filled up earlier, she would have had the gas she needed to get to the money pick up point and none of this outdoor have happened.

Al whole array of bad decisions and mistakes made. One thing could have been different and the outcome would have been different.

This would be a fascinating research project, though I imagine setting parameters and other factors for the study would be difficult.

Here in the UK we currently have two male disappearances that seem to be following the same trajectory - Corrie McKeague in Suffolk and Anthony Parsons in Scotland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Corrie_McKeague*
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...thony-Parsons-63-Argyll-Scotland-29-Sept-2017

* There are NUMEROUS threads about this here on WS, but Wikipedia provides a useful overview for those not familiar with the case.

This would be a fascinating research project, though I imagine setting parameters and other factors for the study would be difficult.

Here in the UK we currently have two male disappearances that seem to be following the same trajectory - Corrie McKeague in Suffolk and Anthony Parsons in Scotland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Corrie_McKeague*
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...thony-Parsons-63-Argyll-Scotland-29-Sept-2017

* There are NUMEROUS threads about this here on WS, but Wikipedia provides a useful overview for those not familiar with the case.
Wikipedia is now charging $ to use it.
[emoji853]

Wikipedia is now charging $ to use it.
[emoji853]

I don’t blame them. I’m surprised it’s taken this long. It’s simply a small donation of $3. You don’t have to pay every time you use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually the dry desert air is the best thing for asthmatics. A lot of doctors will advise their pulmonary patients to go out West to places like Arizona and California to find relief from their lung problems.
I am a severe asthmatic and I lived in Oklahoma for about a year...it was the only time in my life that I had no need for a heavy medication regiment.

Still waiting on autopsy reports.

"On Facebook, Giles’ daughter Kendall Pendley said she heard from the Coroner’s office the body was discovered by biologists studying turtles.

“The detectives and officers investigated the scene and collected the remains,” Pendley said in her post. “They are almost positive it is my Mom. They said the body was decomposed into only a skeleton but the signs that it is Momma include bleach blonde hair that was still there, dentures, her cigarette case, and keys.”

Pendley said the remains were being sent to San Bernardino to be positively identified through DNA and dental records. She said she was told there is no way to know the cause of death."

http://www.parkerpioneer.net/news/article_5afc681a-ccc5-11e7-ad0b-cb9f31241006.html

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhatHappenedToJAB
Back