CA CA - Santa Rosa Hitchhiker Murders, 7 girls/young women, 1972-1973

The suspect, Lance Jeffrey Voss, in the Lewis-Clark Valley Serial murders lived in the Bay area at the times of these murders. The FBI according to sources on the web added to the list of victims - Rosa Vasquez, Yvonne Quilantang, Angela Thomas, Nancy Patricia Gidley, Laura O'Dell (these victims were found within 4 miles of an address that Voss can be tied to) and Nancy Feusi, Brenda Kaye Merchant and Donna M. Braun. Voss moved to Idaho, but he continued to have ties to the California bay area until the mid 80's.

Voss, if indeed guilty, is a necrophile. The SRHM is very much a sadist. Not that these two are mutually exclusive, but there's no evidence of sadism in the Lewis-Clark Valley killings whereas in the SRHM, signs of torture abound. I'd wager the signatures are far too different for both series to be the work of one killer.

For the sake of perspective:

The Lewis-Clark victims were found within four miles of Voss's residence.

The Santa Rosa Hitchhike victims were found about 100 miles from Voss's residence in San Jose.

Need I point out that none of the Lewis-Clark victims were children?

The Arizona connection to the Hitchhiker Murders is tenuous. While Deborah Carrick's ID was found at Hwy 101 and Mark West Road, the Hitchhike victims were found further east on Mark West Road, away from 101. Also, her remains did not show the typical signs of the Hitchhiker Killer. She was not stripped nude, for instance. There was no information given about her earrings; the victims were found still wearing a single earring.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess this could be related. An unsolved murder victim's ID found on Mark West Road.....

So then, murder, you believe the Hitchhiker Killer murdered Deborah in Santa Rosa and took her body to Arizona to dispose of her?

So then, murder, you believe the Hitchhiker Killer murdered Deborah in Santa Rosa and took her body to Arizona to dispose of her?

That I can't say but I would like to know the address she was headed to in Sebastol. Isn't it more likely the killer drove to SR between 8/18 and 8/26 when the ID was found? What are the chances that a woman found murdered in AZ has her ID show up that far away from her body on the same street SRHM victims dumped? Why would her stuff be there?

Last edited:
An Arizona reporter can't have local knowledge of a California city, and it shows in the article.

Yes, Deborah's identification was discarded only about eight miles from where the Santa Rosa Murderer's victims was found, but not on the same street or road. Mark West Springs Road departs this intersection and winds about to change names and eventually connect to Calistoga Road. The bodies were found a goodly distance from this second intersection. Here's a map showing that route. One trio of bodies was found about a mile north of Badger Road and Calistoga Road; the others were further north yet.

Mark West Springs Road runs off Highway 101 to the east, to change its name to Wallace Road; on the west side of 101, Mark West Springs Road becomes River Road. To drop the discarded ID where it was found, a driver would have to overshoot the Highway 12 Sebastopol exit. (Sebastopol is on the lower left on the map):

Google Maps

There are also a raft of dissimilarities in the comparative victimologies, which I noted in prior posts.

Basically, someone randomly discarded a murder victim's identification within a few miles of some other murder victims. Although if there are some actual connections between the cases, I would glad to hear them.

Basically, someone randomly discarded a murder victim's identification within a few miles of some other murder victims.

There's no way I think that's a reasonable probability at all. You think a killer who killed someone and dumped their body in AZ just happens to dump their ID where the SRHM is dumping victims? That's extremely unlikely. I have Carrick's belongings listed as found on Mark West Springs where it hits 101 which according to what I have mapped should be 2 miles west on Mark West Springs Rd from where Theresa Walsh was found. Jeanette and Kim Allen weren't the only SRJC coed who went missing and were murdered in 1972 and 1973...

Last edited:
I really doubt that Ms Carrick was murdered in Santa Rosa and transported to Arizona.

As for your claim that her ID was found only two miles from Theresa, I would have to point out that I have already found and given contradictory evidence about that. I also supplied a link to a map to illustrate that. You claim to have a different map with different information, but supply no link. In fact, you have supplied no proof whatsoever for your assertions.

I really doubt that Ms Carrick was murdered in Santa Rosa and transported to Arizona.

As for your claim that her ID was found only two miles from Theresa, I would have to point out that I have already found and given contradictory evidence about that. I also supplied a link to a map to illustrate that. You claim to have a different map with different information, but supply no link. In fact, you have supplied no proof whatsoever for your assertions.

I didn't suggest she was murdered in SR and transported to AZ, you did. The map on srhm.com has her dumped just north of where mark west springs forks north. http://santarosahitchhikermurders.c...osa_hitchhiker_murders_body_locations_map.jpg
santa_rosa_hitchhiker_murders_body_locations_map.jpg

Last edited:
That's an interesting map. I hadn't seen it before. I don't see where it proves anything concerning Deborah.

Quibbling about the distance between the found ID and the nearest victim of the Santa Rosa Hitchhiker Murdered is an act of desperation. And I surmised that you believed Deborah had been murdered in Santa Rosa and taken to Arizona because you really have given no reason or scenario for the cases to be connected except, I say so.

That's an interesting map. I hadn't seen it before. I don't see where it proves anything concerning Deborah.

Quibbling about the distance between the found ID and the nearest victim of the Santa Rosa Hitchhiker Murdered is an act of desperation. And I surmised that you believed Deborah had been murdered in Santa Rosa and taken to Arizona because you really have given no reason or scenario for the cases to be connected except, I say so.

Right

Based on the scant evidence given, I should think Deborah caught a ride with someone going to California. Along the way, she was murdered and dumped. The killer then continued on to chuck her wallet in Santa Rosa.

Based on the scant evidence given, I should think Deborah caught a ride with someone going to California. Along the way, she was murdered and dumped. The killer then continued on to chuck her wallet in Santa Rosa.

And this killer in AZ, of all the streets in the US, just happens to drive to Santa Rosa and dump her stuff on Mark West Springs Rd two miles from an SRHM victim??

I’m going to toss this short 8 post thread about Ward Weaver Jr into the mix. His truck route took him past 26 unsolved hitchhiker murder sites. Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be a list or a map of his route, so it’s hard to know if he traveled 101. It’s a long shot but worth keeping in mind I think.

Ward Francis Weaver Jr CA/OR/NV/WA

Mod Bessie mentions that he could have been driving during Santa Rosa Murders in this post.
Ward Francis Weaver Jr CA/OR/NV/WA

Murder Inc and others have you thought at looking at the Golden State Killer in these cases. The Cordova Cat Burglar composite sketch looks like him and that was from around 1972 prior to the East Area Rapist attacks:

The new composite sketch of the Cordova Cat Burglar : EARONS

He would have to be in with the other suspects listed at the Wikipedia page about these cases:

These cases represent eight of 54 total unsolved homicides between the years 1970 and 2006 within the jurisdiction of the Sonoma County Sheriff's Office. In 2011, cold storage DNA from some of the cases was submitted to Combined DNA Index System (CODIS), a national DNA database.[2] In 2018, DNA was brought out for testing hoping to identify the killer(s) in the same manner the Golden State Killer was caught.[59]

Santa Rosa hitchhiker murders - Wikipedia

Of course there are other possible suspects and Ted Bundy of course has been looked at.

Murder Inc and others have you thought at looking at the Golden State Killer in these cases. The Cordova Cat Burglar composite sketch looks like him and that was from around 1972 prior to the East Area Rapist attacks:

The new composite sketch of the Cordova Cat Burglar : EARONS

He would have to be in with the other suspects listed at the Wikipedia page about these cases:

These cases represent eight of 54 total unsolved homicides between the years 1970 and 2006 within the jurisdiction of the Sonoma County Sheriff's Office. In 2011, cold storage DNA from some of the cases was submitted to Combined DNA Index System (CODIS), a national DNA database.[2] In 2018, DNA was brought out for testing hoping to identify the killer(s) in the same manner the Golden State Killer was caught.[59]

Santa Rosa hitchhiker murders - Wikipedia
SRHM

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53