CA CA - Sausalito, Asian male, 50-60, jumped from Golden Gate Bridge, 23 Jul 2020

YaYa_521

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Original
Original
Original
Original

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP72097
Male, Asian
Date Body Found July 23, 2020
Location Found Sausalito, California
Estimated Age Range 50-60 Years
Height 5' 7"(67 inches) , Measured
Weight 160-170 lbs, Estimated
Hair Color Gray or Partially Gray
Head Hair Description The subject's hair is very short and mostly gray.
Body Hair Description The subject's face, neck, and lower arms (from elbow to fingertips) are darker in color than his upper arms, chest, and legs. The subject has a scant amount of body hair on his legs and arms.
Facial Hair Description The subject has some gray stubble around his chin.
Eye Color Brown
Eye Description - Prescription glasses were found on the subject's person.
Scar/mark - The subject has a large surgical scar going down his sternum
Scar/mark - The subject has a large surgical scar on his left arm which goes from just below the ante-cubital fossa to his wrist.

Clothing - The subject was wearing 8 layers on top (from top to bottom): 1 black fleece zip-up sweatshirt with SF in silver and the Golden Gate Bridge embroidered on it (Size XL) , with the top layer being a black cloth jacket, the next two layers being two red sweatshirts of unknown make and size as the tags were cut off. Under these red sweatshirts, the subject wore a white sweatshirt of unknown brand and size as the tags were also cut off on which was printed America the spiritalong with 12 red stars with a small “Maze” logo. Under this was a dark blue sweatshirt (of unknown size/brand) covering a black long sleeved black 32-degrees Heat shirt (Size XL) over a teal Gap collared polo shirt (Large). Next to his skin, the subject wore a gray t-shirt on which was printed “Investment Development Services” on the front and “Collect Rent Lease Space” on the back (Size XL). He was wearing Levi’s Regular Fit 505 Blue jeans (W34xL30) and a black leather belt that was in proper position. The jeans were torn on above the right rear pocket and had a honeycomb pattern drawn in blue ink on the right thigh. The subject was wearing white cotton socks and gray Hunter brand briefs (Size Medium).
On the Body

Circumstances of Recovery - Decedent was witnessed to jump from the Golden Gate Bridge to the bay waters below. A United States Coast Guard vessel recovered the subject and transported him to U.S. Coast Guard Station Golden Gate where he was subsequently pronounced deceased.
Inventory of Remains - All parts recovered
Condition of Remains - Recognizable face

Wait... How many layers of shirts... In July? Wouldn't someone wearing that many clothes stand out in a crowd?

1. Zip up SF sweatshirt
2. Black cloth jacket? (Or is this the SF jacket?)
3. Red sweatshirt
4. Red sweatshirt
5.white sweatshirt
6. Dark blue sweatshirt
7. Black long sleeve
8. Teal Gap polo
9. Gray "collect rent" t-shirt

Original
Original
Original
Original

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP72097
Male, Asian
Date Body Found July 23, 2020
Location Found Sausalito, California
Estimated Age Range 50-60 Years
Height 5' 7"(67 inches) , Measured
Weight 160-170 lbs, Estimated
Hair Color Gray or Partially Gray
Head Hair Description The subject's hair is very short and mostly gray.
Body Hair Description The subject's face, neck, and lower arms (from elbow to fingertips) are darker in color than his upper arms, chest, and legs. The subject has a scant amount of body hair on his legs and arms.
Facial Hair Description The subject has some gray stubble around his chin.
Eye Color Brown
Eye Description - Prescription glasses were found on the subject's person.
Scar/mark - The subject has a large surgical scar going down his sternum
Scar/mark - The subject has a large surgical scar on his left arm which goes from just below the ante-cubital fossa to his wrist.

Clothing - The subject was wearing 8 layers on top (from top to bottom): 1 black fleece zip-up sweatshirt with SF in silver and the Golden Gate Bridge embroidered on it (Size XL) , with the top layer being a black cloth jacket, the next two layers being two red sweatshirts of unknown make and size as the tags were cut off. Under these red sweatshirts, the subject wore a white sweatshirt of unknown brand and size as the tags were also cut off on which was printed America the spiritalong with 12 red stars with a small “Maze” logo. Under this was a dark blue sweatshirt (of unknown size/brand) covering a black long sleeved black 32-degrees Heat shirt (Size XL) over a teal Gap collared polo shirt (Large). Next to his skin, the subject wore a gray t-shirt on which was printed “Investment Development Services” on the front and “Collect Rent Lease Space” on the back (Size XL). He was wearing Levi’s Regular Fit 505 Blue jeans (W34xL30) and a black leather belt that was in proper position. The jeans were torn on above the right rear pocket and had a honeycomb pattern drawn in blue ink on the right thigh. The subject was wearing white cotton socks and gray Hunter brand briefs (Size Medium).
On the Body

Circumstances of Recovery - Decedent was witnessed to jump from the Golden Gate Bridge to the bay waters below. A United States Coast Guard vessel recovered the subject and transported him to U.S. Coast Guard Station Golden Gate where he was subsequently pronounced deceased.
Inventory of Remains - All parts recovered
Condition of Remains - Recognizable face
All those layers and his tan lines say homeless.
Hope his family is searching for him.

I made a thread for Golden Gate Bridge suicides that was inspired by this doe. My thinking is maybe it can link a unidentified doe to a missing person.

The layered clothing was interesting to me because another doe in 1991 also had multiple layers when she was found. I think you are right PeriwinkleE about it possibly being he was homeless. I was thinking further then that for some reason. I even researched bridge suicides. I did find it is common for clothing to come off due to the impact of the fall.

I made a thread for Golden Gate Bridge suicides that was inspired by this doe. My thinking is maybe it can link a unidentified doe to a missing person.

The layered clothing was interesting to me because another doe in 1991 also had multiple layers when she was found. I think you are right PeriwinkleE about it possibly being he was homeless. I was thinking further then that for some reason. I even researched bridge suicides. I did find it is common for clothing to come off due to the impact of the fall.
I can't help but wonder if they thought the layered clothing would help them sink faster/deeper or keep them under the surface so their bodies wouldn't be found. If in the middle of July in CA I was planning a suicide jump, I probably wouldn't worry much about having all my clothing with me. It sure is odd to have that much clothing on. :confused:

Could it be that Paul Kim never left LA for Korea or the Phillipines, but instead, went off the grid and lived homeless for a couple of years? The small bit of info given in his profile mostly matches John Doe. ETA - It would maybe explain the Investment Development Services t-shirt. There was a location based in LA.

Circumstances of Disappearance - Paul Kim was last known to be in Los Angeles, California on September 1, 2018. He was possibly en-route to Korea or may be in the Philippines

Last edited:
I thought by zooming in we'd be able to see some letters or writing in an Asian language on his pant leg. I was hoping it would be his name, initials, or something else that would help identify him. Instead I got an impression of a man between walls. :) Y'all are gonna call me crazy (if you haven't yet :p) but does anyone else notice an actual sketch in this "honeycomb pattern" on his pant leg? I zoomed this photo in almost 600% in LibreOffice Writer and it appears to me that there's more than a simple pattern sketched on his leg. I wonder if anyone else sees a man sitting/standing between two walls or windows? It seems that we'd be looking at his right side profile view and that he has an arm reaching into the "window" on our right. Was that John Doe sending a message that the walls were closing in on him?

Original

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sofamusic
Back