CA - School security guard beats & dumps wheelchair bound kid

Hey Guys - please be careful how you generalize about others. This case is about the boy in the wheelchair and the security guard. Not the people of Oakland or other children with mental health issues.

Also, please don't blame the victim.

Salem

for the record, the 17 year old admitted first spitting on the person who has been arrested. Spitting on someone is a crime - even if it isn't charged. Not sure what that means to the discussion, but the 17 year old has admitted that he committed assault first. Also, not sure why he was in handcuffs in the first place, but so far I haven't seen anyone dispute that that was appropriate either. And his peers are supporting the "guards" which says a lot imo. jmo

jmo

for the record, the 17 year old admitted first spitting on the person who has been arrested. Spitting on someone is a crime - even if it isn't charged. Not sure what that means to the discussion, but the 17 year old has admitted that he committed assault first. Also, not sure why he was in handcuffs in the first place, but so far I haven't seen anyone dispute that that was appropriate either. And his peers are supporting the "guards" which says a lot imo. jmo

jmo

Student support of a violent beat down of a disabled child, in a wheelchair...says nothing to me ....other than those students are very very misguided.
In a teen culture where the slightest perceived disrespect deserves a butt kicking.... or worse, the potential for real meaningful dialog is lost if they be permitted to wear those fliers in school.

Did you see the fliers some of the students made and wore taped to their clothes? Totally inappropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Student support of a violent beat down of a disabled child, in a wheelchair...says nothing to me ....other than those students are very very misguided.
In a teen culture where the slightest perceived disrespect deserves a butt kicking.... or worse, the potential for real meaningful dialog is lost if they be permitted to wear those fliers in school.

Did you see the fliers some of the students made and wore taped to their clothes? Totally inappropriate.

I haven't seen the fliers. Got a link?

buhy3a9a.jpg

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...mping-Student-From-Wheelchair-261180971.html#

I'd say handcuffing a child ( who hasn't been arrested) and physically moving that child to another location against their will...is kidnapping.
Beating a child with CP, confined to a wheelchair, and handcuffed...then throwing him face first into the floor....is felonious assault!

I'd say handcuffing a child ( who hasn't been arrested) and physically moving that child to another location against their will...is kidnapping.
Beating a child with CP, confined to a wheelchair, and handcuffed...then throwing him face first into the floor....is felonious assault!

he hasn't been charged with kidnapping....so

jmo

Not excusing or justifying the spiitting. Marchell Ernest Mitchell bent down and over the victim (saying what?) had put his face in the victims face, we all saw that and more. As to the kids who support the perp,there's a reason they're not allowed to vote in elections. They do not have the cognitive ability to choose to do the right thing. Like making and wearing those threatening placards.

Not excusing or justifying the spiitting. Marchell Ernest Mitchell bent down and over the victim (saying what?) had put his face in the victims face, we all saw that and more. As to the kids who support the perp,there's a reason they're not allowed to vote in elections. They do not have the cognitive ability to choose to do the right thing. Like making and wearing those threatening placards.

He could have been saying, dude, you need to chill and get to class. Bottom line, the kid in the chair spit on him first and admits its. jmo

Too bad.
Certainly meets the criteria IMO

Wonder why they didn't charge it then. Felony assault is pretty serious. If there was a proveable kidnapping charge, you'd think they'd have charged that, too. Especially since they usually charge everything available for maximum plea room.

jmo

He could have been saying, dude, you need to chill and get to class. Bottom line, the kid in the chair spit on him first and admits its. jmo

Guard is an able bodied adult and 17 year old is a minor in a wheelchair.
Enough said.

Why would the security guard tell the student "I hope you don't walk for 2 to 3 weeks?" Does the student usually have the ability to walk but was temporarily in a wheelchair for an injury?

Why would the security guard tell the student "I hope you don't walk for 2 to 3 weeks?" Does the student usually have the ability to walk but was temporarily in a wheelchair for an injury?

No, the student doesn't normally have the ability to walk. He has cerebral palsy.

BBM

Huh? Pretty sure cerebral palsy isn't a come and go kinda disability.

In any case, wheel chair, injury, spitting or being erect...not revelant, Marchell Ernest Mitchell beating on a student is not permissible nor excusable.

This just blows my mind. When I first watched the video I was appalled, covering my open mouth with my hand in awe. Then I got teary eyed watching it the second time.

I know this may be wrong in the pc terms, but my parents raised me that people in wheelchairs or ones who have a visible physical/mental disability should ALWAYS be treated differently - always with MORE compassion and patience than you would treat an able bodied person.
I was raised to accept behavior from any elderly or disabled person as "sometimes unexplainable, sometimes unexpected". Maybe that's wrong...

People who are disabled may behave more erraticly, inappropriate, etc. than others and you ALWAYS show compassion and thank your lucky stars you aren't in their shoes. I don't want or need to be a professional who "understands" and can slice and dice and explain behaviors. My "role" is to be compassionate, understanding, and helpful if I can.

I have no idea what this SSO dealt with on a daily basis, but under NO uncertain terms were his actions warranted. I don't care if he spit at him - as a professional adult who is responsible for ensuring kids get from one class to another safely (which includes disabled kids) he clearly doesn't have the patience and compassion to deal with such circumstances.

This to me is on the same level as the security footage at nursing homes where the caretakers abuse the elderly. It's sick and wrong.

Patience, compassion, understanding, and a large dose of forgiveness has to be at the soul of these professionals...and I just don't see how this man demonstrated any of those characteristics of what I would call "good human nature".

Very sad all around. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419
Back