Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so assuming this is the case, IMO SP would have had to do something horrible to them for the perps to abduct her and torture her for three weeks. While I can see why you think they knew her, I don't see SP as being someone who would make these perps so mad that they'd do that to her. She wasn't involved in LE or any other objectionable dealings that we know of. She wasn't a high profile person. She was a typical stay at home mom. I think she was taken for ST and released because she turned out to be useless due to all of the media attention her disappearance garnered. Besides, the VI seems to think this crime points to ST if I'm not mistaken.

If the abduction motive was revenge or maybe being in business with some bad people it doesn't necessarily mean SP was involved. Somebody close to her could have been the one who had trouble with the abductors. Perhaps SP was taken because she was an easier target.

Abducting the person who you are trying to extort money from doesn't work because it's hard to get money together when your locked in a basement. Taking a young mother and beating and branding her would be a very effective way to make somebody give you what you want.

Ok, so assuming this is the case, IMO SP would have had to do something horrible to them for the perps to abduct her and torture her for three weeks. While I can see why you think they knew her, I don't see SP as being someone who would make these perps so mad that they'd do that to her. She wasn't involved in LE or any other objectionable dealings that we know of. She wasn't a high profile person. She was a typical stay at home mom. I think she was taken for ST and released because she turned out to be useless due to all of the media attention her disappearance garnered. Besides, the VI seems to think this crime points to ST if I'm not mistaken.

Not
at all. Victims are not to blame for what happens to them; nothing a victim could possibly do would ever merit such treatment. Somepeople are just psychos and will harm anyone; take Caylee Anthony; what did that poor thing ever do to Casey Anthony? Nothing that would merit what happened to her. What did Elizabeth Smart do to merit being kidnapped and raped? Nothing.

The truth is that sometimes there are bad people in this world who do things for reasons we will never know. Police know this; they are willing to investigate anyone and everybody, regardless of how nice they seem or their relationship to the victim. And thank God for that.

They may not have gotten caught if LE was not involved in the money changing hands. CG said no money changed hands but he also said he would not work with LE. I would be surprised, however, if LE did not investigate the heck out of CG to make sure no ransom was actually paid. And if a ransom WAS paid and LE knows, I doubt very much LE would want the public to know that. The last thing they want is to encourage kidnappings for ransom. At the very first PC after her release the sheriff was asked by reporters if the ransom had anything to do with her release and he said "no" almost before the reporter finished the question. It's possible his answer would have been "no" regardless of the truth...JMO...I don't know if money was paid but I'm not going to place any bets that it wasn't...

It just seems to me that if a ransom was paid CG would be crowing from the rooftops about how he negotiated SP's safe return. Coupled with the fact that LE said the ransom offer did not play a part in SP's release, CG has said no ransom was paid, and the family members I've spoken with insist no ransom was paid, I tend to believe that no ransom was paid.

What about this report that a relative found SP's jogging clothes in a ditch on Old Oregon Trail, back on Nov. 7th?

https://imgur.com/a/4JX2L

I didn't start reading these threads until after SP was found. Was there anything to it? The location seems significant because, unless I'm mistaken, it's next to the gas station with the surveillance cameras.

What about this report that a relative found SP's jogging clothes in a ditch on Old Oregon Trail, back on Nov. 7th?

I didn't start reading these threads until after SP was found. Was there anything to it? The location seems significant because, unless I'm mistaken, it's next to the gas station with the surveillance cameras.

We don't know that those were SP's clothes.

Maybe they made more money keeping her for 22 days? Or maybe they DID collect the ransom? I saw the theory somewhere that one perp picked up the money while they other one dropped her off as soon as they got a text saying the money was secure. :dunno:

Lol

So wouldn't CG be hunting them down to get his $100k back.

Lol

Does this guy have an 8 figure bank account or what?

There were items of clothing, checkbooks, etc. found during the ground search. To my knowledge none of them belonged to SP. If they did LE is holding it close to the vest.

If the abduction motive was revenge or maybe being in business with some bad people it doesn't necessarily mean SP was involved. Somebody close to her could have been the one who had trouble with the abductors. Perhaps SP was taken because she was an easier target.

Abducting the person who you are trying to extort money from doesn't work because it's hard to get money together when your locked in a basement. Taking a young mother and beating and branding her would be a very effective way to make somebody give you what you want.

I hear you, but based on what we know about SP and her family, this doesn't seem likely to me. JMO

Add to this that LE starts with: the spouse, family, associates, co workers.
They investigate to see if there are people who have debts, grudges, hate for the victim or their family. IMO such a person would have already become known if this was the case here. To me this leads away from the this being personal/revenge.

I agree. Why would Sherri keep quiet or mislead LE if she knew the suspects? It doesn't pan out IMO.

It just seems to me that if a ransom was paid CG would be crowing from the rooftops about how he negotiated SP's safe return. Coupled with the fact that LE said the ransom offer did not play a part in SP's release, CG has said no ransom was paid, and the family members I've spoken with insist no ransom was paid, I tend to believe that no ransom was paid.

After CG said "no money changed hands" the follow up question should have been: "Would you tell us if it had?" Ach, reporters these days.

Thanks Lake. I tend to agree that CG would want to gloat but the ransom is the one thing I remain skeptical about. I don't have a strong feeling either way so I won't try to argue it was paid. I just don't think we would know if it were paid because (IMHO) the police would tell the family not to reveal that, not even to close friends and immediate family. :dunno:

Lol

So wouldn't CG be hunting them down to get his $100k back.

Lol

Does this guy have an 8 figure bank account or what?

CG never claimed to have money. There was an anonymous donor. CG was "the negotiator".

Thanks Lake. I tend to agree that CG would want to gloat but the ransom is the one thing I remain skeptical about. I don't have a strong feeling either way so I won't try to argue it was paid. I just don't think we would know if it were paid because (IMHO) the police would tell the family not to reveal that, not even to close friends and immediate family. :dunno:
Possibly.

Good point. And why? Because it's a STUPID idea to OFFER ransom without it being demanded. So stupid that nobody who has "trained Navy Seals" and other military and law enforcement personnel, supposedly worked with the DoD, Colin Powell, with Condoleeza Rice, etc. etc. or whatever the claims were, would EVER suggest it. Because it encourages criminals to come out the woodwork, kidnap people all over the place and demand heavy ransoms. We would turn this country into another Venezuela!

If the perps were known to SP or her family, I'd think they'd have a motive and an arrest already.

Good point. And why? Because it's a STUPID idea to OFFER ransom without it being demanded. So stupid that nobody who has "trained Navy Seals" and other military and law enforcement personnel, supposedly worked with the DoD, Colin Powell, with Condoleeza Rice, etc. etc. or whatever the claims were, would EVER suggest it. Because it encourages criminals to come out the woodwork, kidnap people all over the place and demand heavy ransoms. We would turn this country into another Venezuela!

It's not stupid if it worked in this case, and we'll most likely never know.

Hello All, first time posting, but have read all the threads on this topic. The wording in the reward letter by CG has been bothering me since someone posted it here. Poked around the web to try and find the actual letter again and happened on a site and am wondering about the author. Peter Hyatt. Can anyone comment on his validity? Again, I am new, and though I have read the TOS, I hope mentioning this name is not against the rules :thinking:

I've been a lurker, but I have a thought. Should we also be looking out for any news stories of murders of Hispanic women in the time since Sherri returned? I wonder if maybe the woman that released her will be punished or killed.

Also, hello.

I think that is an excellent idea and not out of the realm of possibility. And perhaps it could be the other abductor instead. We just don't know.

Thanks Lake. So if no ransom was paid, and one captor released SP, is it possible that the one who released her had "Lima Syndrome"?:

Lima syndrome

A converse of Stockholm syndrome called Lima syndrome has been proposed, in which abductors develop sympathy for their hostages. There are many reasons why Lima syndrome can develop in abductors. Sometimes when there are multiple abductors, one or more of them will start to disagree with what they are doing and influence one another. An abductor may also have second thoughts or experience empathy towards their victims.
Lima syndrome was named after an abduction at the Japanese embassy in Lima, Peru, in 1996, when members of a militant movement took hostage hundreds of people attending a party at the official residence of Japan's ambassador. Within a few hours, the abductors had set free most of the hostages, including the most valuable ones, owing to having sympathy towards them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members