Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of discussion in this thread but not a lot of information from LE. It will be interesting to see the conclusion to this.

Usually in certain rural areas. You have generations of certain families that never got along with each other. Its like this clan vs that clan in those drawn out family fueds for decades.

So what if the kidnappers were hired by someone that didn't like KP other family. And they were told to take his wife instead?

In order to not draw attention to their clan. Idk

Why not take the keys while jogging?

Maybe she did? The info we have just states her main set of keys (car) was left at home, IIRC. I've always taken a spare single house/apt key and secured it to my shoe with the laces whenever I go out for a run. I know a bunch of runners who do this. Just a thought. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OLO COUNTY — The steady hum of Interstate 5, a quiet church and a few scattered homes among empty fields. This is where investigators say a nightmare that dragged on for three weeks ended, when a passing driver found Sherri Papini alive. Dispatch audio of the Yolo County Sheriff’s Department reveals the young mother was found battered and chained to something along Northbound I-5 near County Road 17 in Yolo County.

A few points on the location of her abduction and release:

1 - The lack of any surveillance indicates premeditation. It's definitely possible in a rural area to avoid cameras during the initial abduction, and possible to avoid cameras as you speed away. But you need to think it through, know your route. So again, this does not strike me as, "Hey, look at that blonde gringa, let's snatch her!' But more: "Ok, we know SP typically jogs from her home, let's pretend to be broken down in this spot, then we grab her and go out on this street, avoiding this part of town, etc., etc."

2 - Regarding her drop off, I agree they needed to avoid cameras, too. But again, I cannot imagine this wasn't planned at least a day in advance. It wasn't, "You know what, let's just get rid of her today. Put her in the car and go find a spot while you're driving, then push her out of the car." Why risk that, especially after three weeks (!) of captivity??! More likely is that they scouted the drop spot a day or so in advance. It was a long way from where they held her (at least 20 minutes by car, and probably much further). It needed to happen around 3-4 am to avoid attention (which seems to fit with this case). But it should also have been in a spot where SP would need a long time to reach any person, not near homes or churches or businesses. Why risk it when you have 24 hours or so to find a good spot?

3 - I would have chosen a very remote area where there is nothing but a road, no homes, no businesses, etc. It would have been an area with lots of roads connecting, to avoid having only one way to get in and get out. I would need to be able to see around me far enough to ensure no car would come for the 2-3 minutes (max - probably more like 30 seconds) I needed to get her out of the car. And I would want it to be a place where few cars would be driving at that time of night. Perhaps even a side dirt road. I want her to have to walk for at least 30 minutes, and ideally longer, before she meets someone, to make sure I'm long gone. I also want her to be a bit disoriented so it's harder for her to remember where I dropped her.

There is no need to be anywhere near civilization if I had 24 hours or so in advance to select my spot. Driving a few hours the day before to do a bit of research is worth it when the alternative is 8 years in prison!

Actually I would add a 4th point to my previous post:

4 - To be brutally honest, an even more likely scenario is to take her to a very remote location and put a bullet through her head. Probably have a hole prepared in advance to conceal the body. Cover up the hole, very unlikely she'd be found. Sorry to be so graphic. But after 22 days in captivity, she probably has a lot of DNA evidence on her. She could have seen and heard who knows what. Why risk release? It's not like the people who did this are averse to brutality, based on what happened to her while in captivity.

Yes, do it!

Thanks, the more I thought about it the more I decided I want to do it. It's not too far and I so want a better understanding of what this area looks like at night. I'll need to wait til after the heavy rain, but I'll report back later this week or this weekend. If i can, I'll take pictures from the car even though it'll be dark. (not getting out and walking around though!) I don't know if it will tell us anything useful, but maybe.

Anything in particular anyone would like me to check out - from the car only - other than what it's generally like in the dark? This is for the drop off location. I think Google maps has the daylight views covered pretty well.

Two women abducted SP for the purposes of ST. The elder is a veteran of all kinds of evil crime and inhumanity. The younger is a victim of ST herself, and habitually does what she is told after being brutalized and abused for months or even years. The elder is a sadist and beats and abuses SP because she realizes that SP is useless to her criminal ends and selling her is a dead end. The younger sees an opportunity to free both herself and SP, and grabs it when the elder is away, asleep, or otherwise incapacitated. She dumps SP in Yolo, and makes a run for it herself.

Some might say they always wore masks because the plan all along was to set her free. Why? To what end? I think they wore masks because they were cautious, or they were told to, or experience had taught the elder that sometimes victims escaped or were rescued after being sold.

(Respectfully sniped for space and focus) You know, I don't really have a set theory in my mind but I think this is a good possibility. All along I've thought one of them changed her mind but perhaps the other one didn't. I do feel the change of plans (if there was a change) was at least in part fueled by all the publicity, but maybe the one who freed her had other motivations including empathy for her, and/or the side motivation of wanting to escape herself.

For some reason the mother/daughter thought has never left my mind since they first announced one was older and one younger. Was the Mom "teaching" her daughter something? How to abduct, and do horrible things, and then... whatever else, but the daughter said no way when it got too crazy and decided to free SP and make a run for it herself? Of course this could apply to a non mother/daughter pair too but this is one theory that could fit that scenario.

I got pilloried for suggesting that one of the captors might have had an ounce of humanity and orchestrated SP's release, but here we are again. I feel that Lake can't say exactly what happened, obviously, but what would anyone's first question to SP be, if you knew her? "How did you get away?" With that in mind, I tried to build a theory around it because I think whoever released her will be the key to bringing the perps to justice. So here goes:

Two women abducted SP for the purposes of ST. The elder is a veteran of all kinds of evil crime and inhumanity. The younger is a victim of ST herself, and habitually does what she is told after being brutalized and abused for months or even years. The elder is a sadist and beats and abuses SP because she realizes that SP is useless to her criminal ends and selling her is a dead end. The younger sees an opportunity to free both herself and SP, and grabs it when the elder is away, asleep, or otherwise incapacitated. She dumps SP in Yolo, and makes a run for it herself.

Some might say they always wore masks because the plan all along was to set her free. Why? To what end? I think they wore masks because they were cautious, or they were told to, or experience had taught the elder that sometimes victims escaped or were rescued after being sold.

IOW, pay attention to what Lake is saying, or what she can't say. Why one? I'm pretty sure it's significant.

I totally agree with many of the thoughts above. In my gut, I really feel like at least one of them might have been a victim of ST, moving up the ranks as a worker. And it might explain why she wouldn't want to kill SP, and might feel like setting her free, in spite of contrary orders. If so, I hope she escaped safely because her own life is in danger now too.

Lake16, I have a few questions about Sherri for you. Feel free to ignore them, and even call me names if I am inappropriate (with the gif slap if you feel like it).

How is Sherri's therapy doing ? Did she find the right therapist for her ? The therapist's title is not what matters most, what matters most is the relationship with the therapist.
What is Sherri's favorite dish ? I'd like to find a recipe for her favorite dish she can get ready with only a microwave (you can cook with fresh ingredients and a microwave actually).

Because I know that after such a traumatic event, she does and will need plenty of therapy. Asking help is actually being stronger than wanting to manage on one's own. She is powerful by acknowledging powerlessness.

Do you think the other hostage situations he claimed to negotiate in the past were faked or made up stories? And if your answer is yes, why not just keep making up stories to draw people in? If the answer is no, then he had no reason to try to "boost" business with a risky scheme--and a reverse ransom scenario never tried before-- where a REAL woman was terrorized. The "fame" he got is hardly admirable fame--I have not seen any experts arguing for this new model. No one is lauding him. Except, perhaps the Papinis who had KP admit it did not hurt and brought media attention--the ones you claim should be terrified of him if this was his plan are thankful he kept SP's name in the headlines. Did he do this just so he could have a private chuckle at their expense? Because he can't even claim to anyone else to have pulled the wool over their eyes if he did this. :scared:

Where is the proof of any of his past hostage situations?
Why do none of his amazing hostage exploits never make the news?

I got pilloried for suggesting that one of the captors might have had an ounce of humanity and orchestrated SP's release, but here we are again. I feel that Lake can't say exactly what happened, obviously, but what would anyone's first question to SP be, if you knew her? "How did you get away?" With that in mind, I tried to build a theory around it because I think whoever released her will be the key to bringing the perps to justice. So here goes:

IOW, pay attention to what Lake is saying, or what she can't say. Why one? I'm pretty sure it's significant.

Maybe
they wore masks b/c they were someone not completely unknown to the victim.

You must have watched that movie Ransom with Mel Gibson.

And you think CG is similar to the role that Gary Sinise ( Csi Ny and Forest Gump) played where he was the insider cop plus the bad guy at the same time.

Lol.

But you are right. Anything is possible for now.

I have never seen any of those movies, and I don't watch crime dramas. I'm more interested in REAL life. I came here to actually do some sleuthing.

Wouldn't it be odd if, on a "sleuthing" site, some people were to become offended when others sleuth?

I was here for the Missy Bevers ordeal; people were far more willing to point fingers at (and even bash the looks and lifestyle of) an Avon representive with children whose ONLY tie to the victim was b/c her husband worked for the same company...oh, and b/c she had a broken ankle years in the past, and they thought that the perp walked funny.

Yet here is a guy who has hostage environment simulation containers; who claims to be a hostage negotiator and a crack military ace, who recently scrubbed many of his claims about training Navy Seals, etc., who [illegally] took donations via a nonexistent charity, who just happens to live and work right in the same town as the victim (as though world-famous hostage negotiators live on every block, lol), who admitted he was away during the same timeframe as the kidnapping of SP (with no explanation as to where), and so on and so on, so it would be really weird if people got offended when it was all pointed out.

Finding the perp to get justice for the victim is of utmost importance. Nobody with that much baggage should be given a pass from being sleuthed.

If he wanted to be the hero and help boost his business, why isn't he helping Stacey Smart?

Because he didn't plan that one and isn't in control of it.

That's exactly. my point. EXACTLY. If he was a real hostage negotiator who had REAL experience, he WOULD help her.

I don't believe a word on that overbloated resume. In fact, some of it sounds like stolen valor to me. REAL soldiers look extremely unfavorably on people who lie about their military credentials. A guy who refueled airplanes and couldn't make the whole 4 years would actually be chosen by the D of D to train their elite military in kidnapping evasion and hostage situations? Hardly.

Because he didn't plan that one and isn't in control of it.

That's exactly. my point. EXACTLY. If he was a real hostage negotiator who had REAL experience, he WOULD help her.

I don't believe a word on that overbloated resume. In fact, some of it sounds like stolen valor to me. REAL soldiers look extremely unfavorably on people who lie about their military credentials. A guy who refueled airplanes and couldn't make the whole 4 years would actually be chosen by the D of D to train their elite military in kidnapping evasion and hostage situations? Hardly.

Of course it's a joke, and quite frankly, a bit sad. But if he wants to be the hero in his wife's eyes, or his kids' eyes, that's none of my business.

I suppose the relevant issue here is what was his specific role in this abduction? It's one thing to chase an ambulance with an inflated resume, it's quite another to orchestrate, or participate in, a 22-day abduction. That's a huge leap. I agree there are a lot of circumstantial red flags, but that could just be coincidence.

And one final point: if he was somehow involved with the abduction (still highly highly speculative), I would say it's almost a certainty he had inside help. Otherwise it just doesn't make any sense at all. So careful what questions you start to ask, as it might lead you somewhere this site would not want you to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann