Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
This case utterly mystifies me. Clearly something happened that resulted in SP exhibiting injuries. Yet her story doesn't seem to add up. I am trying to imagine scenarios which would have caused her to be invested in deflecting attention from whatever really happened but I can only come up with speculation, which would not be appropriate to share here.

I guess I also wonder if the police really do fully believe her story or are just being careful not to slander her - just in case. Discrepancies typically cause LE to cast a jaded eye on a case.

She does appear to be a person who highly values a particular type of self image. So if this scenario involved something like an infidelity, maybe that would cause her to create a cover story. But her current image of someone who MAY BE untruthful and who MAY HAVE caused untold and unjustified fear and worry to her loved ones is not so hot. I wonder if she feels this is preferable to revealing something "imperfect" in her life. And if so, does this indicate her putting a lot of pressure on herself, or does she typically experience a lot of pressure and expectations from those around her? And what would happen if she violated such expectations, if they exist?

I keep monitoring this thread not because I have anything to contribute, but because this is so odd and such a puzzler that I really hope we learn the truth one day. We all invested a lot of concern and brainpower while she was missing, not to mention the efforts expended by LE, and her friends and family. I can't really say we "deserve" answers but it sort of feels like we do (even though here on WS we volunteered and weren't required to care).

I have to go back and read the rest of the thread but I had to reply to this first as you wrote this better than I would have and this is everything I wanted to post.

BBM.

Regards LE, I too believe they are just being careful. They say they believe her but also say there is no risk to others. Those two statements don't go together. I would imagine if her story was truthful then there would be a huge risk to others. There would be no reason why these two suspects would give up after releasing Sherri.

Things that have come out about her past also make me question this story and her mind frame. I know these things go years back but it just has me asking more questions than receiving more answers. I think the theory about image may well stand...

I don’t have anything concrete or any magical solutions to this case either I just want to see this solved. I accept that I may be wrong and hope that whatever Sherri is going through, whether it be from what she has told or something entirely different, that she is recovering and starting fresh again. This is all just my opinion.

I didn't know about the husband expressing any kind of revulsion about her injuries. Weird. I also didn't know that something similar happened to a classmate? Could you elaborate?
Here's some links to the classmate story. I'll try to find a transcript of the husband's interview later.

http://people.com/crime/sherri-papini-missing-tera-smith-1998-disappearance-redding/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ithout-trace-parents-tell-think-happened.html

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think that when they let her go, they threatened her family if she ever gave a description or told where she was kept hostage. I wouldn't tell anyone either if I thought those violent people could come back and get my kids.

She couldn’t have felt too threatened bc they continued to live in their house. If it was me, I’d never feel safe there again.

You'd think that LE would have found texts messages or emails or Facebook messages about this though. They found the messages to the Michigan guy, so Sherri obviously wasn't doing much to hide the fact she was trying to meet up with people. If she met up with the wrong by guy and things went wrong, why haven't LE found an electronic paper trail to the guy.

Maybe she used a burner phone, and met someone from the Internet, or maybe he used a burner phone. If he knew he was up to no good, he could have communicated on a public computer. It is possible she was really abducted, but the circumstances could be embarrassing, and detrimental to her marriage... I have several theories that have come and gone. An angry wife or girlfriend is a possibility.

There was a movie about a true story of a girl who caught her boyfriend cheating, and made him go with her to get the girl and murder her to prove his love. Crazy, but this story is not normal either.

The reason I teeter so much between real or made up are all the historic similarities. The skinhead blog (unless one believes she didn't author it), the self harming and blaming others, police reports from three family members, etc...

This would seem more likely if she had a routine, but I think she had just started jogging.

Maybe she used a burner phone, and met someone from the Internet, or maybe he used a burner phone. If he knew he was up to no good, he could have communicated on a public computer. It is possible she was really abducted, but the circumstances could be embarrassing, and detrimental to her marriage... I have several theories that have come and gone. An angry wife or girlfriend is a possibility.

There was a movie about a true story of a girl who caught her boyfriend cheating, and made him go with her to get the girl and murder her to prove his love. Crazy, but this story is not normal either.

The reason I teeter so much between real or made up are all the historic similarities. The skinhead blog (unless one believes she didn't author it), the self harming and blaming others, police reports from three family members, etc...

BBM.

I'm still catching up. What's this?

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article180824671.html

"In a December 2003 incident report filed with the Shasta County Sheriff’s Office, Papini’s mother, Loretta Graeff, alleged her daughter had hurt herself and blamed the injuries on her. The report is only two sentences long. It doesn’t say whether the department found evidence that Papini – then 21 years old – had in fact harmed herself.

The call by Loretta Graeff was one of several made to law enforcement by members of Papini’s family between 2000 and 2003. In 2000, her father, Richard Graeff, alleged his daughter burglarized his residence. Three years later, he alleged she made unauthorized withdrawals from his checking account. In 2000, her sister, Sheila Koester, alleged her back door had been kicked in and she believed Papini was the suspect. The reports provide no details about arrests. Detectives did not respond to questions about whether Papini had ever been charged with a crime."

Prior reports suggest SP has hurt herself in the past and blamed it on someone else. Does this lend more credence to a theory that SP harmed herself while she was missing? Maybe just enough mental instability to stage something?

I know, that was a weak theory.

But those ear buds - people keep wondering why so neat.

KP said his road is one mile long and SP was using the 2 mile round trip to train for an upcoming 5K run. This round trip would be about 10 - 15 min? (I'm not a runner.)
Is it logical when she got to the mailboxes she stopped to tie / adjust her shoes? Kneeling down putting the phone down momentarily I can see why it might be neat. Being so preoccupied she maybe didn't notice her attackers approaching. Perhaps they were watching, waiting for her.
So the phone and ear buds were AT the mail box? I've been wondering if someone planted a package, a box, at the mailbox. If a person who is extremely neat needed to put their phone down for a minute in order to lift a package, they might wrap the ear buds neatly around the phone first, especially if they were going to carry the package, phone, and headphones back, so that they don't have ear buds dangling around the package.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yup.

No. Trauma can cause "overemembering." But it certainly doesn't cause blocked memories as people used to try to claim in the 80's. The main reason PTSD is such a problem in people's lives is because they cant stop it. Or the memories.
I don't know about that. I have a relative who genuinely can't remember very memorable and traumatic things the rest of us can. It's been a big deal in our family, causing other issues. But one thing about it, we all believe they really cannot remember, and somehow processed what happened differently than us.

Yup.

No. Trauma can cause "overemembering." But it certainly doesn't cause blocked memories as people used to try to claim in the 80's. The main reason PTSD is such a problem in people's lives is because they cant stop it. Or the memories.
Not true about PTSD.

"Some of the avoidance symptoms include difficulty remembering the traumatic event and avoiding reminders of the experience, such as places, people and objects."

https://www.psychguides.com/guides/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-symptoms-causes-and-effects/

Sorry, I didn't mean to post anything that we aren't allowed to discuss. Will gladly delete anything I need to.
I'll alert this post and ask a mod. The blog post has hit MSM...

Not sure if I missed it but do we know if the Papini's themselves collected the $100,000 reward? I find it interesting that they purchased their home outright for a little over $100,000 a few months ago.
https://www.google.ca/amp/www.daily...napped-Sherri-Papini-reveals-100k-reward.html
I don't think we know for sure, but....

The ransom money offered for the safe release of a Californian woman who went missing three weeks ago may now go to her family after she was found battered but alive on Thanksgiving Day.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...napped-Sherri-Papini-reveals-100k-reward.html

Gamble said the benefactor returned the ransom money to the bank but still wants to help the family. How much money they might receive is “really up to him at this point,” Gamble said in a Monday phone interview with The Sacramento Bee.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article117588963.html

Just a guess, but I'd say yes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads