GUILTY CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, fake abduction Nov 2016, ARREST MAR 2022 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.

For those of us who followed this case from the beginning, definitely read this criminal complaint (linked above). Sooooooooo many details that we had heard as rumor or that are just flat out new to me.

She was married previously to Man 1 (as he is called in the complaint). Even back then, she was telling different stories to different people. I tried to type it out here but it gets confusing to type out so I recommend reading the complaint. But, basically, police knew she was mostly missing on her own pretty much right away.

Okay - who has Pacer and can get into U.S. District/Eastern in Shasta County out of Redding? I would like to keep record of her hearings.

TIA if someone can help me with this! :)

edited to add:

Federal U.S. District Court/Eastern Case #3:22-mj-0001 DMC Dennis M. Cota, Magistrate Judge
loads of hits under that case number

So the DNA match to the bottle found in his trash was not confirming she had been there but confirmed that he was the match to the DNA found on her underwear.

Sherri Papini's family issues statement following her arrest, charges she faked kidnapping

"The case finally broke in 2020, according to the complaint. When Papini was hospitalized in Woodland upon her return, investigators collected male DNA from her underwear and sweatpants that did not match Keith Papini's.

On March 19, 2020, the California Department of Justice's Familial Search Committee voted to release to investigators the results of a DNA search using that sample and matching those on file, according to the complaint.

The DNA came back as a "familial match" to a man who is referred to as "Person 2" in the complaint, and who had two living biological sons. One of them, the ex-boyfriend, caught their attention, according to the complaint, because he had shared a joint AOL email account with Sherri Papini and had conducted financial transactions with her.

In June 2020, FBI agents collected a discarded bottle of Honest Honey Green Tea from the ex-boyfriend's trash in Costa Mesa, the complaint said. The DNA at the mouth of the bottle, investigators said, was a match. That August, the investigators said they interviewed the ex-boyfriend and he provided extensive details that fit the physical evidence in the case and exposed Sherri Papini's story as a fabrication, according to the complaint."

Yes, and his complete truthfulness is in question IMO, as the ex boyfriend claims he did not have sex with Sherri while she stayed with him, yet his DNA was on her underwear, according to the report.

Last edited:
SP is charged with making false statements under 18 USC 1001 (a) (2)

18 U.S. Code § 1001 - Statements or entries generally

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, whoever, in any matter within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative, or judicial branch of the Government of the United States, knowingly and willfully—

(2) makes any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation;

shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years
18 U.S. Code § 1001 - Statements or entries generally

Last edited:
While I am not a mental health professional, I do have to wonder if it's at all possible that there isn't any sort of mental health issue at all, and she's just a foul, self-absorbed, bold faced liar?

I'm glad they gave her enough rope, and the truth is finally out.
I feel sorry for her kids. What a repulsive legacy she's left for them.

I am not a mental health expert either. However, I see symptoms of Munchausen Syndrome. One with such a diagnosis would exhibit repeated and deliberate acts as if they have a physical or mental illness when not really being ill.

Sherry caused the unusual harm to her own body yet falsely claimed two Hispanic women caused those injuries. She even gave their descriptions well enough that a sketch artist composed renditions of them that were widely circulated. This drama queen was seeking fame and fortune by pulling this horrific stunt.

What if two innocent Hispanic women, who resembled the sketches, had been arrested and charged with her audacious fake kidnapping scam? As much as I may not like it, she was arrested in front of her children, apparently. They had to be extremely traumatized but the arresting officers did not do that to them. Their own mother did.

SP is also charged with mail fraud under 18 USC 1341.

Mail fraud
Mail fraud occurs when the U.S. Mail is used in furtherance of a criminal act. In order for a defendant to be convicted under 18 U.S.C. 1341 for committing mail fraud, the follow elements must be satisfied: (1) the defendant must have been engaged in a scheme to defraud; (2) the scheme must have involved material misstatements or omissions; (3) the scheme resulted, or would have resulted upon completion, in the loss of money, property, or honest services; (4) the defendant must have used of U.S. mail in furtherance of scheme to defraud; and (5) the defendant used or caused the use of U.S.mail.

Mail fraud

Yes, and that is a part of this tangled tale I still have questions about.
The actions of this fraudster are more evidence to me to never underestimate the deception and damage a person with a serious mental health condition can do. Whether SP had an officially diagnosed mental health condition or not, I believe it is painfully obvious she has one. The havoc she left in the wake of this is one for the books, and IMHO only explainable with a deep-seated personality disorder. AND those are he!! to live with, both for the person with the disorder, PLUS and ESPECIALLY for everyone else in that person’s life.

Please note I am not a professional mental health expert, nor can ANYone diagnose from afar. Speculation about a specific disorder should only be done by VIs with this expertise, and my guess is they would hesitate to do so without personally examining the person. My comment is just to posit that IMHO something in SP’s emotional make-up is acutely off to have engaged in such a far-reaching, dramatic and damaging scam.

Great post says it all!!!!!

What I do wonder about is how this type of personality disorder affects her children. Has she taught them (through horrible example) how to be deceptive and worse? You really wonder about something like that. And of course there are trust issues involving her children as well. Just horrible beyond words.

i saw this last night but was trying to catch up on the court papers, but came to say I FREAKIN KNEW IT I KNEW IT as soon as i read those "sherri graeff" postings that we can now talk about i hope since they are mentioned in the court papers, because her descriptions of her abductors were THEE most stereotypical she could have given. anyways, omw to catch up.

Wow!! About time. Hope she has to pay back all the money associated with searches, LE’s time, the courts time, the people that donated for search efforts, the victim money she got, compensation to all family affected, they are victims now, the list is endless!!! How can you go about your life knowing you did this awful thing that affected so many people. Blaming two Hispanic women is also a horrible thing to do. Disgraceful behaviour, I hope the punishment is as horrible as she made her family feel while she was gone. Moo
Panini also managed to throw in denigration and insults in her made up story. Her description of the women makes them sound ugly and sadistic. Even when describing the “younger” woman as more sympathetic she had to include a false story of the woman following her advice on adding kitty litter to the makeshift toilet. Making her in charge.

The Hispanic women fed her sub par food, the furnishings were old, cracked and peeling. Even their “Mexican music” was presented in a negative, xenophobic light. Her story of captivity IMO is just a continuation of her earlier blog post about being bullied by Hispanic girls. Fantasy and lies in order to vent about a group of people she hates.

I hope she’s held responsible for the pain she’s caused and the money she stole from the government and the soft hearted people who donated online.

IMO Papini is one creepy woman. MOO

Prosecutors: Woman faked kidnapping, defrauded California

Seriously, who saw this coming?

When I mentioned the SP case some years ago to someone not familiar to it, the first out-of-the-box response I got was "You think she went off to see a boyfriend?"

It kind of stopped me in my tracks.

But sometimes mentioning a missing persons case like this will elicit a totally unexpected reply that ends up to be well the right one.

Will have to read the details of the report.

"We love Sherri and are appalled by the way in which law enforcement ambushed her this afternoon in a dramatic and unnecessary manner in front of her children," the emailed statement read. "If requested, Sherri would have fully complied and come to the police station, as she has done multiple times before, where this could have been handled in a more appropriate way."

Sherri Papini's family issues statement following her arrest, charges she faked kidnapping

‘Dramatic and unnecessary’—the irony hurts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat