CA CA - Skip, 55, & Joni Tillman, 51, La Canada, 7 Feb 2000

The timeline seems so short. Couple is last seen at 10:00 pm on Feb 6, and by some time on Feb 7, the friend wants to go in the house to check on them? And, the poor little dog already has died from exposure (?), and by chance, has been found by a guy out walking his dogs. And this same guy goes back to the scene and discovers the graves! It's all too quick, too pat.

I know this is an old post, and I'm just coming around to this, so forgive me if this has already been addressed.

A couple observations. We're talking about February in Yucaipa. It gets cold in this area. Historical weather data shows the temperatures dipped down into the mid-30s. I don't think it's a stretch to believe that a small Maltese would succumb to exposure in these temps. The friends entered the Tillman home because of several attempts were made to contact the Tillmans. They missed appointments, broke their routines, and failed to pick up business documents. Also, the man that found Teddy did not go back to the scene and discover the graves. The graves were discovered by detectives from SBSD.

The timeline seems so short. Couple is last seen at 10:00 pm on Feb 6, and by some time on Feb 7, the friend wants to go in the house to check on them? And, the poor little dog already has died from exposure (?), and by chance, has been found by a guy out walking his dogs. And this same guy goes back to the scene and discovers the graves! It's all too quick, too pat.

I know this is an old post, and I'm just coming around to this, so forgive me if this has already been addressed.

A couple observations. We're talking about February in Yucaipa. It gets cold in this area. Historical weather data shows the temperatures dipped down into the mid-30s. I don't think it's a stretch to believe that a small Maltese would succumb to exposure in these temps. The friends entered the Tillman home because of several attempts were made to contact the Tillmans. They missed appointments, broke their routines, and failed to pick up business documents. Also, the man that found Teddy did not go back to the scene and discover the graves. The graves were discovered by detectives from SBSD.
This is the corner of Oak Glen Rd and Fifth St. I'm surprised the bodies were located in such a populated area. The murderer must know the area well to have been so bold.

View attachment 74128

This is the corner of Oak Glen Rd and Fifth St. I'm surprised the bodies were located in such a populated area. The murderer must know the area well to have been so bold.

View attachment 74128

The area where the bodies were discovered did not look the same in 2000. The homes in the immediate area were built around 2003.

Thank you for asking. I had not asked for that. Amazingly I just finally got the the form to request a death certificate. One of those things that gets forgotten waiting for people to send you a copy and they never do. I will put it on my list of things to do.

My dog died in October, I almost passed last March and my husband just had major heart failure. My big break was going to come when we could get to CA for vacation and some poking around but that is on the way back burner now.

I had just posted on their wall that I was sorry I couldn't do more, and never anticipated that 17 years later there would still be no arrest or leads much less the possibility that I may not live to see this through either but here we are.

I will request it from the police or ask how I might get it and thanks for asking again. I do believe things happen for a reason and love that there are people who are "provoked" to do things and listen besides myself. will report back with what i find.

I was told on a couple of occasions that my fathers spinal cord had been pierced to subdue him, but will look into that report as we never really know what is spoonfed to us and what is known information truly.

It's been a few years since this post. Have you been able to get any additional information from the detectives? Police report? Autopsy? Have you been able to able to review the investigation documents?

To the best of my knowledge they do not have prints. They, coming to realize, don't divulge much to me. The vehicle, I am now learning, was very new. Their house was meticulously clean, and I suppose also being a rental, may have had to do with the collection or not collecting that information. They did a "super glue" test on the vehicle. They, I am told, spray a fine mist of it all over the vehicle to find such evidence. If they were truly transported in the Durango and there were two or more perps then it leads me to believe it was a professional hit. Otherwise surely there would be evidence. I had honestly hoped for some type of information left behind by Mr. Kaye, who's to say there wasn't though, the police don't seem to feel the need to disclose anything to me at this point.

I read in a newspaper clipping that their wallet, purse, and cell phones were missing. Did anyone subpoena the phone or credit card records?

I have also been thinking about the situation at the home on the night they disappeared. Aside from a few items found at the grave site that matched items in the Tillmans' home, there were no signs that anything was disturbed. Everything seems normal and the Tillmans were getting ready for bed after a night out with friends. The neighbor heard them arrive that evening after 9 p.m.. If there was a struggle, wouldn't it make sense that someone, likely the same neighbor, would have heard it? Teddy was also found at the grave site. Why would an abductor willing bring along the dog? Photos of Teddy show that he was well-cared for and 'prized' by the Tillmans. So, given the state of the home on the night of the disappearance, and the fact that Teddy was found at the grave site, gives me the impression that the Tillmans were some somehow lured or enticed to leave the home.

Blood was found on the road near the grave site, but was that blood even linked to the Tillman's? Assuming the blood did belong to the Tillman's, this suggests that at least one of them was still alive when they arrived to their final destination. Obviously, we don't know if the Tillman's were still willing occupants when they arrived in Yucaipa, but we can assume that they probably knew something wasn't right by this point.

What could possibly have gotten the Tillmans to leave their home at that time of night with such urgency? Was it urgent, or were they not given an opportunity to take care of things before they left? The neighbor heard the Tillmans arrive, but why didn't anyone hear them leave? Was the Tillmans' vehicle used to take them to Yucaipa, or was it left at the residence and picked up later before being taken to Van Nuys? Was any evidence ever recovered from the vehicle after it was found? If so, what?

Although this occurred in 2000, it is reasonable to assume that someone had surveillance cameras given the neighborhood. Was this possibility ever investigated?

This may never be answered, but if the Tillmans knew they were being threatened, why didn't they fight back? Did they even feel threatened, or did they believe their chances of survival were better by going along quietly?

I listened to the podcast “ Murder in my Family”. The daughter (Tami?) remarked correctly that it wouldn’t make much sense to murder someone you are suing. What does occur frequently is that people how have lawsuits against them or judgments will often conceal assets by putting them in the name of someone they trust with the idea that the trusted person will return them when everything is settled. If the person who transferred the assets were to die, the “ trusted person” would have have themselves a little windfall free and clear. Who would Skip have trusted that much?

I am so glad to see others reading the posts here and asking many questions! I think it would take a FOIA request to gain any answers. 'Wish Paul Holes could have investigated these murders before he retired, and I wonder if he would take a look at this case now? Actually, I'd love for any experienced and capable detective to make another effort. These murders should have been solved long ago.

jmo

It's been a few years since this post. Have you been able to get any additional information from the detectives? Police report? Autopsy? Have you been able to able to review the investigation documents?
I got excited with your idea for a moment, then realized, they don't share any of that information since it is a cold case. Well, I should say they won't share it with me. Apparently if a cold case show or something like that wants the case they have to be invited by the Sheriff to do so and they are not willing to do that either.

The last detective on the case stopped responding to me a couple of years ago. I sent some pictures that I thought might be relevant. I can only assume they were and they don't know how I came across them or they have decided my intuition is nothing more than being crazy.

The clothing designer passed away before I could attempt to talk to him in person, his lawyer passed away, my mother passed away, my dads sister and mom are gone and I have pretty much lost all hope. Was going to try and get with a psychic on advice of a friend a few years ago and COVID hit and lost all hope of that meeting or getting to LA anytime soon.

I just stopped by here while cleaning out some old files and information. Too many other issues distracting my focus from this. I guess it is meant to be. If we had been closer things might have been different but we will never know. Thank you all for your time and energy trying to figure this out. I wished I could have been help to anyone else in solving their cold cases but I guess it is not my calling. Be well and blessed in return for caring about others and may they care in return.

I listened to the podcast “ Murder in my Family”. The daughter (Tami?) remarked correctly that it wouldn’t make much sense to murder someone you are suing. What does occur frequently is that people how have lawsuits against them or judgments will often conceal assets by putting them in the name of someone they trust with the idea that the trusted person will return them when everything is settled. If the person who transferred the assets were to die, the “ trusted person” would have have themselves a little windfall free and clear. Who would Skip have trusted that much?
There was one person but I can't post her information with any confidence or proof. She would have been "filtering" money but no one could prove it. I don't think he trusted anyone, but again, I had not been around him but once since I was 10.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back