Found Deceased CA - Sophia Mason, 8, reported missing a month later, mom in custody, Merced, 10 Feb 2022

Body Found Inside Merced Home Could be of Missing 8-Year-Old Girl: Hayward Police
SNIPPED:
Just complete and total shock so hard to believe,” said Melonie Verlatti, who has known Sophia since she was born.
Verlatti’s aunt Sylvia raised Sophia’s mother and when the girl came along, she raised her too.
SNIPPED:
We saw her a few months ago and now to see this it doesn’t seem real,” said Verlatti, adding that keeping in contact with Sophia was a problem.

“Periodily her mom would come into her life take her away and said she was going to raise her on her own and she didn’t need my aunt to do it for her,” she said. “She wasn’t mentally competent to do it on her own. My aunt repeatedly called CPS and police but they didn’t take her seriously.”

Sources tell NBC Bay area that Johnson, Sophia’s mother, told a family member that she had given the 8-year-old away.

Detectives spent days tracing a number of phones belonging to Johnson and that led them to a Newark Hotel where she was arrested.

“They made contact with the mother, Samatha Johnson, trying to find her daughter,” said Joey Perez of the Merced Police Department. “She gave some suspicious inconsistent statements. They ask us if we could go to an address to check on the mother and child.”

Cops should take everything seriously but even more so when young children are involved. The mom had a history of mental illness apparently. If they had checked in to it then maybe they wouldn’t be having to wait for confirmation of a child’s death.

You guys. Covid made this so much easier. States that used to have strict rules on home schooling. Have laxed them. Everyone is more often given the option now to send them or do virtual school. Virtual school can mean different things in different areas.

What’s really alarming in a lot of states including my own. I can at any time. Send a letter to the dept of education in my state. And say My child is still in school but not public school. You make up a name of what your calling your “home school” like even just your last name. You send this by email. And you only need to also make a copy to hand in at your local school. Or school district. That’s now in the files. And the schools NEVER inquire about your child again period.
We have zero check ins. Zero testing turned in. Zero over site. Nothing to ever turn back in to the state period. There’s zero workbooks guides etc. there’s no scoring on the child nothing period ever. You can homeschool for 15 yrs and never turn in a piece of paper proving anything period. I know personally friends who have homeschooled. But they aren’t schooled much since there’s no rule , no data , no checking in on kids. This has always baffles me how this happens legally. I know we’ve had cold cases here (Kansas btw) where years later after all the children are grown. They mention to authority’s that they once had a sibling that they hadn’t seen in 18 years. I know of one case in my own local area where foster parents adopted a little boy. They also had bio kids. They didn’t enroll the child back in school once they adopted him. But once he was homeschooled he was never seen again. Not by siblings who were still in school etc. they eventually told the other kids the boy Adam went to live with a bio grandma. Which he was adopted so he’s not supposed to be with bio family kids didn’t know this. But when the kids became adults they started questioning where there brother now a adult was. And couldn’t find him. He never lived with a bio grandparent. However the family did collect assistance for this child the rest of his life. Even with adoption if you have low income you can get assistance. Parents didn’t need to work. Which is another beef I have , I have a child disabled. Medically qualifies.plus a grandchild I’m rasing. We don’t get assistance not even medical. Which is fine it’s not about money. But my daughter isn’t verbal. She wears pull-ups so in truth she’s someone who could and should benefit from help. But in my mind if you can’t afford a child on your own. Meaning adopting or such. We have guardianship so full custody of our grand. But if we couldn’t of afforded the cost of getting him ( we didn’t wait for cps to take him ) if we had they would of paid all the court.m fees. But we know that CPS fails so many. And we weren’t going to to wait for them to fail him. Which meant getting a lawyer and asking the state to make him a child in need of care and to place him with us. So the state was never involved and they still aren’t since we did it without them. But when we applied since we weren’t foster parents first for him etc. they checked out our finances. Our back grounds. Our remaining child at home (3 are adults) they got her school records. Made sure she didn’t miss to much school. No concerns about her care. Spoke with her dr to
Make sure we were doing all the things we should medically. we had all the things . Our home was checked inside out. We had to prove we could provide for him. We had to show his room his clothes. They even went through his toys he was a baby then. But they made
Sure we had age appropriate toys for him. It costed us 8k we had to take out a loan. But it was worth it to not wait for him to be in the system and be failed by cps or be placed with a family only in it for the money.

I don’t agree with all the kids who go from being foster kids to adopted and due to that the family still gets assistance. Unless there’s a disability. I mean why. You adopt a child it’s your child. Why are you still getting financial gain. Like as in the west boys. So many laws need to change. The homeschooling laws for one in some states are making it so easy to disappear a child. Even without assistance you still get to claim them on taxes , stimulas all the things. I think all kids not in schools should have to be laid eyes on monthly at least. This needs to end. Sorry this went way over

Investigators discovered the body Friday while serving a search warrant at a home in Merced, the city’s police department said in a statement. They were acting on a tip from police in the San Francisco Bay Area city of Hayward, which received a missing person report on Tuesday from relatives of Sophia Mason.

The family members said they had not had contact with Sophia since December, and that she was known to stay at different locations between Hayward and Southern California.

Merced police said investigators were working to identify the body. They did not release the cause of death.

A detective told the Merced Sun-Star the child’s mother was arrested by Hayward police, and the girl was not with her.

Alameda County jail records show Samantha Johnson was taken into custody on Thursday and booked for investigation of causing corporal injury on a child and resisting arrest. Her arraignment was set for Tuesday.
Child's body found in Merced during search for missing girl

Murder warrant issued after child’s body found in Merced home, police say - YF-USA
safe_image.php

Does anyone know where I could find statistics for children murdered in the U.S.?
I'm curious how many in the U.S. are killed by biological Mom or Dad vs boyfriend or girlfriend of parent.
All I can find are stats for parental homicide (filicide).

A manhunt is underway for a suspect in California after the body of a missing eight-year-old girl was found in his home and his girlfriend, the child's mother, has been arrested for obstruction of justice and child abuse.

The grim discovery was made when police carried out a search warrant around 2 p.m. Friday at 34-year-old Dhante Jackson's home at the 500 block of Barclay Way in Merced, according to the Los Angeles Times, several days after Sophia Mason's relatives told police in Hayward that they hadn't heard from or seen the girl since December.

Mother Samantha Johnson, 30, was arrested on Thursday on a warrant stemming from a child abuse investigation in Alameda County last year, the Merced Police Department said. She was booked into the Santa Rita Jail by Hayward police, the Times reported. She will be transferred to the Merced County Jail to face charges.

More at Manhunt is underway for suspect after an eight-year-old girl was found dead in California home | Daily Mail Online

Several news outlets are reporting that the mother SJ is being held on murder investigation or has been arrested for murder:

Yahoo-
Mom of missing 8-year-old girl arrested on suspicion of murder, Merced police say
"Mar 12, 2022 · Merced police interviewed Johnson at the jail about the body found in the house and later arrested her on the murder charge, authorities said. ..."

Also when I googled "SJ, Alameda" looking for a photo, I got old arrests in Hayward and Oakland, so the family may say mentally ill but that's not always the case IMO.

I have to say, when a case opens I want all of the details I can find. Then when it comes to bad news and arrests I seriously can't stomach the heartache. Sophia deserved better ( how many times have we all said that?)

Let's take a moment here. So, Sophia was found murdered INSIDE the home, possibly dead for approx. 3 months, all the while he's still living there?!

I mean it's horrific enough as it is, but that just blows my mind.

[URL="https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10607019/amp/Manhunt-underway-suspect-eight-year-old-girl-dead-California-home.html"]Eight-year-old girl was found dead in California home[/URL]

Snipped:
“After SJ moved out of the house with DJ, EJ wrote, family members began seeing bruises and cuts on the young girl and making reports to child protective services that she said went unanswered.”

“She even stated that her mom puts cocoa butter on her bruises so they would go away,' EJ wrote in a Friday Instagram post, before a child's body was found in DJ’s home.

'She said that she gets left in hotel rooms alone with no food or water all day and had clearly drastically lost weight.'”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back