CA CA - Stacy Arras, 14, Yosemite National Park, 17 Jul 1981

No idea, beyond that iirc, the available information was released previously or release is currently not possible.

I don't know the regs for records retention, particularly of paper records. It's also possibly that any "file" was microfilmed or scanned in an early process that now is unrecoverable.

OT for Park Service, but spot on for records storage: The Federal census is to be released to the public 73 years after the year it is enumerated. The 1950 was released this year.

There is a problem with the 1960 census, scheduled for release in 2033. The data was stored on large magnetic tapes, about the diameter of a record album. At the time, this was an excellent storage medium. When I was an undergrad in the late '70's/early '80's these machines were in use by the university & many levels of government for program storage & records storage.

Fast forward to today -- the machines are no longer manufactured. Replacemtn parts are not available. Computer techs are not trained to maintain them -- most have never seen one. The OMB/Bureau of the Census has no way to read the magnetic tapes, now way to release the Census.

If Yosemite's 1981 files are on mag tape -- they may be released after OMB solves that census problem?

I have completed extensive genealogy over decades. I have files in at least 3 unreadable formats in a safe deposit box. Safe, all right! Anyone have a SyQuest drive that works? Lost mine in a lightening storm in the 90's.

jmho ymmv lrr
The NPS refused Foia to many people on this case, and apparently, it is 2000 pages long, so it was accessible when Paulides requested a FOIA (and was denied twice) in 2010.

Here is a link to the NPS FOIA Page.

FOIA - Frequently Requested Documents (U.S. National Park Service)

Scroll down to YOSEMITE.

You'll find the Released Records
(this is the same document posted several times prior of the pictures and newspaper articles).

The Appeal Decision upholding the denial to release records.
5th paragraph states that "It's criminal investigation into the incident is still ongoing."

Unresolved Missing Persons Case List. She is on it.

Russ

Here is a link to the NPS FOIA Page.

FOIA - Frequently Requested Documents (U.S. National Park Service)

Scroll down to YOSEMITE.

You'll find the Released Records
(this is the same document posted several times prior of the pictures and newspaper articles).

The Appeal Decision upholding the denial to release records.
5th paragraph states that "It's criminal investigation into the incident is still ongoing."

Unresolved Missing Persons Case List. She is on it.

Russ
Hi Russ,

That is just the default reason that the NPS gives for declining FOIA requests.

She is a missing person case, not a criminal case, so clearly it was never closed and so legally they can refuse access.

I know the NPS conducted an internal critique of the Stacy Arras investigation so I suspect that they know these files would end up being posted online.

That is likely why they refuse access IMO.

Hi Russ,

That is just the default reason that the NPS gives for declining FOIA requests.

She is a missing person case, not a criminal case, so clearly it was never closed and so legally they can refuse access.

I know the NPS conducted an internal critique of the Stacy Arras investigation so I suspect that they know these files would end up being posted online.

That is likely why they refuse access IMO.
Here is the link to the San Francisco Examiner on Both Stacy's articles to verify my sources

Here is the link to the San Francisco Examiner on Both Stacy's articles to verify my sources

Apparently only subscribers to newspapers.com can see linked articles at the site.

Anyone have a different experience?

BTW is the information posted upthread?

jmho ymmv lrr

This is a missing person case that haunts me. Do you think she was hurt? or just lost and died of exposure?

Apparently only subscribers to newspapers.com can see linked articles at the site.

Anyone have a different experience?

BTW is the information posted upthread?

jmho ymmv lrr
I realized that people may want a verification source for the NPS internal critique of Stacy's case, I forgot to post that in my previous comment.
I couldn't find any other links for this newspaper article online but I had subscribed to this newspaper as an archive source for research.

This is a missing person case that haunts me. Do you think she was hurt? or just lost and died of exposure?
That is the million-dollar question! I feel that it is very likely she got to Sunrise Lake but got turned around on the way back and ended up walking out of the search area.
I think this because she was never found, and it would be very likely she is still out there somewhere. This is of course speculation on my part, but it is a plausible explanation.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back