CA - Stephon Clark, 22, unarmed, fatally shot by Sacramento police, 18 March 2018

http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article207611354.html Edit Post

Lol this is hysterical. I hope he gets charged with attempted murder or assault with a deadly weapon like they do when someone drives too fast past a cop. This is what cops have become, it's disgusting.

They operate above the law, they lie when they know there is a video we can see with our own eyes.
They’ve gotten away with it so long they don’t even try anymore, they just wait for the DA to say “after a thorough internal investigation no charges are being filed” and collect “administrative pay” while on extended vacation.

11 Big Accomplishments Black Activists Achieved In 2015
3. Mizzou student protests lead to university president's resignation.
4. Campus racism protests forced schools to reckon with their racial history.
7. Black students at the University of California prompted the school to pull out $30 million from prison investments.
9. Activists launched Campaign Zero to help combat police violence.
11. Activists launched the Police Union Contract Project to help ‘check the police.’

5 milestone accomplishments from the year in Black Lives Matter
They won a lawsuit against Baton Rouge police.
They got a ticket to the White House.

Are Riots Effective? 9 Times Violent Demonstration Changed American Politics
2. The Boston Tea Party - 1773 (this one was a really big deal!)
5. The Detroit Riots - 1967
6. The Stonewall Riots - 1969
7. The Kent State Riots - 1970
8. The Mount Pleasant Riots - 1991

And who could forget:

The Storming of the Bastille - 1789.

(A few years later the French monarchy was abolished, and Louis and Marie-Antoinette were condemned for treason.)
Thank you for posting this information. I am sure it took a lot of time to dig that up.
Once again, for me anyway, this isn't a black and white issue. These shootings of unarmed people are imo a travesty of justice.
I guess I wasn't clear enough in my previous post. What i meant for my question to be, is, when it comes to police shootings of unarmed people, what have people done to pass legislation through congress that would address cops being punished for their mistakes when they shoot unarmed people?
In your posts above, I see a few.
Articles 9 and 11 I think are great steps IMO.
I may be wrong, but I don't think the rest apply in this situation.
The riots.
You are right.The Boston Tea Party was a big deal, however that big deal didn't last very long. Many people thing the protest was because of taxes, but in reality, it was a protest of taxation without representation.
Congress taxes tea for about 100 years after that protest, and today we are constantly taxed without representation.
The Detroit Riot, and the Stonewall Riot and The Kent State Riot (I say "Massacre") were started when laws were broken during lots of alcohol consumption.
The Detroit Riot started when the cops busted an unlicensed club. after lots of looting,and buildings burned, and people died, yes there were a few changes, (more fair housing etc.) the damage done far outweighed the gain.
Source Wikipedia:
The heaviest casualty, however, was the city. Detroit's losses went a hell of a lot deeper than the immediate toll of lives and buildings. The riot put Detroit on the fast track to economic desolation, mugging the city and making off with incalculable value in jobs, earnings taxes, corporate taxes, retail dollars, sales taxes, mortgages, interest, property taxes, development dollars, investment dollars, tourism dollars, and plain damn money. The money was carried out in the pockets of the businesses and the white people who fled as fast as they could. The white exodus from Detroit had been prodigiously steady prior to the riot, totaling twenty-two thousand in 1966, but afterwards it was frantic. In 1967, with less than half the year remaining after the summer explosion—the outward population migration reached sixty-seven thousand. In 1968 the figure hit eighty-thousand, followed by forty-six thousand in 1969.[SUP][88][/SUP]
According to economist Thomas Sowell
Before the ghetto riot of 1967, Detroit's black population had the highest rate of home-ownership of any black urban population in the country, and their unemployment rate was just 3.4 percent. It was not despair that fueled the riot. It was the riot which marked the beginning of the decline of Detroit to its current state of despair. Detroit's population today is only half of what it once was, and its most productive people have been the ones who fled.[SUP][89]

I'll continue in another post[/SUP]

The Stonewall Riots started when the Cops busted an unlicensed gay club in NY that was run by the Mob. The club was selling untaxed liquor. The cops were on the take When they busted people and started arresting them, they got rough with those being arrested, and the riots began.
In the end, The Stonewall was closed. About the only good thing that came out of it was a gay newspaper, and more organization through the gay community.
The Kent state Massacre happened on a Monday, however it really started on Friday night when a bunch of drunk students downtown Kent, started throwing rocks at Cops. The next day, things escalated, the National Guard was called in and the shootings happened on Monday.
Nothing good happened from that. The soldiers used that familiar excuse that they feared for their lives (even though they had bayonets fixed to M1 rifles) and a judge ruled there wasn't enough evidence for a trial. There was a civil trial and in the end the students (4 dead and 9 wounded) got to split about $700,000. Many think that was the reason the Vietnam War ended, but that war went on for another 5 years.

They've done all the things you suggest already. So now they're in civil disruption mode.... are you listening yet?

Maybe the African American community should skip straight to John Brown mode, because when they're violent is the only time you people hear it.

No matter what people do to challenge and change the system it's wrong.

why-cant-they-protest-peacefully-r-like-that-but-not-7155504.png

They operate above the law, they lie when they know there is a video we can see with our own eyes.
They’ve gotten away with it so long they don’t even try anymore, they just wait for the DA to say “after a thorough internal investigation no charges are being filed” and collect “administrative pay” while on extended vacation.

The officer was afraid is a free pass to do whatever they want including shoot and kill unarmed people, children, and people with mental illnesses. Police officer's life > Civilian's life. Whether or not the fear was legitimate. They just have to feel scared, never mind how their victims feel.

I wonder if it would matter if unarmed white people where being shot by cops at twice the rate of minorities, instead of the other way around?

Can you please link me to the news of violence and looting taking place during the protests in Sacramento? It keeps being mentioned but I can’t find anything about it on the google, nor the local TV news. TIA

Protesting at the stadium is nothing like blocking a hospital, you surely realize that.
The slippery slope argument can go anywhere, who knows what could have happened?
What if zombies join the protesters and they all start eating the cops???

I think they would still get away with it because too many people believe "It can't happen to me."

Oh ok that makes sense. If you are an old white lady and you've been previously arrested, it's ok for cops to hit and run you over. Kinda like if you are black and you have a cellphone it's ok for cops to ****ing kill you.

The victims race or criminal record in no way justifies the sheriff deputy hitting her and leaving the scene. JMO

Oh ok that makes sense. If you are an old white lady and you've been previously arrested, it's ok for cops to hit and run you over. Kinda like if you are black and you have a cellphone it's ok for cops to ****ing kill you.

Will he face a harsher punishment than the officers who shot Stephon?

Updated this morning, but not much new, tbh.

Sacramento sheriff's department SUV strikes woman at Stephon Clark vigil
The California Highway Patrol is investigating the incident from the Stephon Clark vigil, while the sheriff's department conducts an internal review.

http://www.ksdk.com/article/news/na...kes-woman-at-stephon-clark-vigil/63-534124438

An ABC10 photojournalist captured video of what happened. Warning: The below video shows the impact and may be difficult to watch.

According to a press release by the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department, two marked patrol cars became surrounded by a group of protesters. As the protesters were yelling at the deputies, they also hit and kicked their cars. As one of the deputies attempted to drive away, the car struck a woman walking in the road.

OMG I just saw the video. The cop just drove off after hitting her! At the least he should be charged with leaving the scene. How does "protect and serve" work when a cop hits someone with his car then just drives off? :tantrum:

OMG I just saw the video. The cop just drove off after hitting her! At the least he should be charged with leaving the scene. How does "protect and serve" work when a cop hits someone with his car then just drives off? :tantrum:

That is why they are attacking the victim’s character already, they saw it too.
They are trying to shave off a few hundred grand from the settlement.

I'm sure he didn't get out of his SUV because he was in fear for his life.

-_-

I'm so happy to see some of these last few comments. I had to step away from reading this thread due to people rationalizing the actions of the police. I'm going back to lurking now. I prefer reading to responding!

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

When confronted by police, it sounds like the prowler first ran away, and then decided to pull out his cell phone rather than raise his hands. Police said "stop, show me your hands", they pursued him some more, again called for him to show his hands. When he pulled something out of his pocket, rather than raise his hands, officers thought it was a gun and there are shots fired. Officers are trained to respond, not to give suspects time to check their pockets prior to showing their hands.

What exactly should the officers have done differently under the circumstances? What do the protestors want police to do differently?

https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/3/22/17151960/stephon-clark-sacramento-police-shooting-video
:goodpost: He also began to advance on the police officers while taking his hand out of his pocket.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galluvstrucrime
Back