GUILTY CA - Susan Berman, 55, fatally shot, Los Angeles, 23 Dec 2000

What gives off a blue light?
". Artificial sources of blue light include fluorescent light, compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs, LEDs, flat screen LED televisions, computer monitors, smart phones and tablet screens.
It could just have been a blue sheet hung in the window which the light shone through.

Among the jaw-dropping highlights from yesterday- First big shock came when Lewin baited Bobby D into showing his hideous true face with a contentious exchange about whether Susan used the term ‘staycation’ in 2000 even tho it wasn’t invented yet. Bobby D got pissed enough to cook up what he thought was a real clever retort… and his face, words & manner were just inhumanly disgusting.

Later Lewin was setting BD up to impeach his inconsistent statement that the Black murder scene wasn’t that bloody. Of course BD takes the bait & digs in, no one is going to challenge him! and repeats it wasn’t that bloody. ‘Was it bloodier than the Susan Berman crime scene?’ Lewin asked. Oooh!! BD didn’t like that but he had to answer so he stewed & angrily croaked out something or other about the Berman scene when he found it. ‘Was it bloodier than the Kathie crime scene?’ Lewin asked !!! OMG

Later came the topic of a bowsaw, always hovering around this case because Bobby D’s skill with a bowsaw is what really points to his suspected career as a serial killer. BD’s terror at discussing bowsaws said it all. There’s been all these random references & odd appearances of bowsaws throughout- but I NEVER expected Lewin to actually go there, putting all the pieces together & confronting on it!!! OMG never would’ve thought he could do it cuz there’s nothing approaching hard evidence - but he had Durp so on the ropes that BD’s response itself was all the evidence needed.

ok this place is not my blog lol so I’ll stop - just needed to vent a bit cuz I can’t hold it all in!

quoting my own post here just to drop a couple of links for storage-

This is part 1 of yesterday’s testimony- the moment I realized DeGuerin was panicking is 8:45 in - Lewin asks a Q that is so obviously argumentative, we all wait for DeGuerin to object, helloo where is he??, then the judge just takes it on himself & says he’ll sustain an “ongoing objection” … DeGuerin dropping the ball there is startling.

then at 15:20 comes the “staycation” exchange that leads, at 16:00, to Durst showing his hideous horrible true face as he digs in to make a tasteless joke about Susan - it’s the first moment the mask drops, & he never gets it back into place

I’ve wondered that too! The only idea I’ve ever seen is that blue light is involved in the use of luminol, the chemical that detects the presence of blood- not exactly sure how this would play out here, why is BD lighting up the blood he’s mucking around in, but it’s the only suggestion I know.

Demonstrations - Luminol
could he have been using a black light and it just appeared blue to the neighbor???

Back to talk on the 3 bowsaws in Bob's life.

there was packaging for a newly bought bowsaw in the garbage bag with some of Morris's remains.

Lewin winding up his mega-cross exam, Focusing mainly upon perjury, getting Bob to admit that he has perjured himself.

L: how can the jury know when to believe you and when not to?

D: they will have to use their life experiences to make their assessment [paraphrased]

L:is it reasonable for someone to say they cannot believe anything you say?

Objection

J: rephrase:

L{ would you agree that your admissions about perjury are relevant to their assessment of your credibility.

D;Yes, they can take it into consideration, and decide if there is evidence to show that I killed Susan Berman

L: would you agree there is an abundance of evidence you have been confronted with already?

D:There has been some, but not a significant amount.

L:wouldn't someone have to consider your credibility in order to assess the evidence?

Yes

L : last question, you have now conceded that your credibility is important part in assessing this evidence\

yes..

L: haven't you been trying to take individual pieces of evidence and try to explain them away, using made up explanations?

B:Noooo

Kill them all was part off a bigger sentence the mic didnt pick it all up...

L: but no one can hear that but you

L - did you kill Susan Berman?

B:No

L:But if you did, you would lie about it, correct?

D: Yes

for Aug. 31st - Tuesday

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
15h
WATCH LIVE: #RobertDurst returns to the stand today for 13th day. Prosecutor Lewin is expected to wrap his cross-exam.

Durst testifies that during the 2015 jail interview with Lewin he said he would tell Lewin where Kathie was and what happened Susan because he was trying to get a plea deal. He says he was lying and thought he could string Lewin along for awhile.

In March 2015, after the @HBO
#Jinx documentary was released, the @LAPDHQ
@LADAOffice
reopened its investigation into Susan Berman’s murder. #RobertDurst was arrested— testifies he’d have made a plea deal, despite being innocent.

Craig Fiegener
@CraigNews3LV
·
13h
“Do not get into an argument with the witness,” the judge **again** admonishes prosecutor John Lewin, in the #RobertDurst murder trial. Durst was resisting answering leading questions on cross exam.

Prosecutor John Lewin @LADAOffice
goes after #RobertDurst... asking if he’s using #aspergers syndrome, or #autism, as reasons for his conduct.

Earlier - Judge told Lewin to not get into an argument with Durst. Then Judge instructed Durst to only answer the question asked. Durst: "I will try to do better but it is very very very difficult. The deputy district attorney is testifying in his questions."

Lewin read a letter Durst wrote where he stated if was convicted in Galveston he wouldn't want to have to work in the prison work detail and wondered if there was an eye disease he could fake.

Letter.jpg

Lewin asked Durst if there were any other instances where he has thought about or did fake illness. Durst said no other time. Lewin then pulls up this jail call to Susan Giordano where Durst is talking about faking dementia.

Fake.jpg Fake2.jpg

Durst denied ever buying a bow saw at Charmers to dismember Morris Black. He claims he used a saw Black had in his possession, however Lewin just played a clip from The Jinx where Durst says he went to Charmers to buy garbage bags & bow saw.

Durst.jpg

Durst says he could have been confused when he spoke to Andrew Jarecki on The Jinx and said he bought a bow saw at Charmers.

There was only one bow saw sold at Charmers in the time frame before and after Black's death, it was more than 2 weeks before Black's death and was sold to an Everette Ward. Note: Later Durst would use the alias Everette Ward when checking into New Orleans hotel.

QUICK TURN AROUND - Lewin plays a clip from our footage from THIS MORNING of Durst saying "I never said I knew what happened to Susan. I never said I knew where Kathie was BURIED."
Lewin: How do you know Kathie's buried at al?

Lewin plays the bathroom audio from The Jinx of Durst saying - "Killed them all of course."

Killed.jpg

"Killed them all of course," Durst says he thinks what he actually said was, "They'll all think I killed them all of course."

BREAKING: Cross-examination of Durst is NOW OVER.

WATCH the final question/answer of the cross-examination:
Lewin: Did you kill Susan Berman?
Durst; No
Lewin: But if you did, you would lie about it, correct?
Durst: Correct
Lewin: No further questions

We are still LIVE in Durst on YouTube and Law & Crime - Law and Crime News. Jury has gone home. Judge is taking a break then they will come back to argue some motions and we expect a hearing with Andrew Jarecki's attorneys.

Will there be a "The Jinx 2"? Defense attorney Chip Lewis says camera crews were trying to film them at their hotel.

Judge Windham will rule tomorrow morning regarding Jarecki’s testimony. If Lewin can call him in his rebuttal case, what limitations on questions and cross-examination due to journalist rights and if he does testify it looks like it will be in person.

link: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

Wednesday, Sept. 1st:
*Trial continues (Day 54) (@ 9am PT) – CA – Susan Berman (55) (Dec. 24, 2000, Beverly Hills) – *Robert Alan Durst (57 @ time of crime/72/now 78) arrested (3/14/15) extradited (11/1/16 from Indiana prison to Calif.) & charged with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $4M Bond.
Was serving a 7 year federal prison term for illegal possession of a revolver at the time of his New Orleans’ arrest.
Trial began on 2/11/20 with pretrial motions & jury selection started on 2/19/20. Trial started on 3/4/20. Jury: 8 women & 4 men. 11 alternates. (1 alternate excused on 5/18/21) Now 10 alternates. (1 juror (#3) excused for medical reasons on 7/8/21). Now 9 alternates. Another juror excused (8/19/21) due to scheduling. Now 8 alternates. (Trial expected to last 5 months). Trial stopped 3/16/20 due COVID-19 & will restart on 7/27/20 & retrial was to restart on 4/12/21 continued to 5/17/21 continued to 5/18/21. No court on Fridays.
State rested their case on Tuesday (8/3/21). Defense has 2, possibly 3 witnesses (one is the defendant) & thinks 2 weeks for their case & will begin their case on 8/3/21 afternoon. Judge Windham denies the defense motion for mistrial based on their client's health & inability to testify on 8/2/21. Judge denies defense motion for judgment of acquittal.
Upcoming schedule: Thursday, 8/26 ending 4pm, Tuesday, 8/31 ending 2:45pm, Thurs. 9/2-DARK, 9/6-DARK/Labor Day, Tues, 9/7-DARK/ Jewish Holiday & Thurs, 9/16 (if still going) DARK/Yom Kippur. Closing arguments begin 9/8 & half of 9/9. Defense closing late 9/9/21 & back on 9/13/21 with defense concluding their closing & jury should have case on 9/14/21.

Jury Selection from 2/19/20 thru 3/3/20 (Days 1-8) & Trial Days 1-6 (3/4/20 thru 3/12/20) & Court info from 3/16/20 thru 5/12/21 & Trial Days 1-52 (5/18/21 thru 8/30/21) reference post #648 here:
CA - Susan Berman, 55, fatally shot, Los Angeles, 23 Dec 2000 *Arrest*

8/31/21 Tuesday, Trial Day 53: Defense witness: Robert Durst still on cross-exam by John Lewin. And prosecutor is finished with cross of Durst. Jurors have gone home. Judge Windham will rule tomorrow morning regarding Jarecki’s testimony. If Lewin can call him in his rebuttal case, what limitations on questions & cross-examination due to journalist rights & if he does testify it looks like it will be in person. Trial continues on 9/1/21 and then on 9/8/21 with closing arguments.

Here's some tweets for Wed. Sept 1st: My bold.

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
1h
WATCH LIVE: #RobertDurst on trial for murder of best friend Susan Berman. Judge Windham expected to rule first thing today on Andrew Jarecki's testimony.

Durst.jpg

Judge Windham DID NOT rule in open court about Jarecki's testimony. We went straight to Dick DeGuerinh's redirect examination of Durst.

#RobertDurst says when he was arrested in New Orleans, the jail had him strip off his street clothes but then wouldn't give him any jail clothes. He says they transported him naked into a cell, spent the night curled up on a metal bunk.

Durst says because of the horrible conditions in the New Orleans jail, he wanted to get to Los Angeles as he heard California prisons were more humane. He say she would have pled guilty to killing Susan Bermah, to killing Kathie, to killing MLK Jr. or John Lennon.

DeGuerin going over all of Durst's poor health conditions (we've heard all this before...I think under direct).

Somewhat surprisingly, after this long on the stand, the jury remains attentive, taking notes....no one appears to have "checked out".

I'll grab the rest in the morning.

I think the judge is reading jury instructions after lunch break today.

Will they do closings tomorrow?

Rest of tweets for Wed. Sept. 1st:

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
12h
#RobertDurst - Andrew Jarecki WILL NOT be called to testify. Lewin: After further consideration, given the way the cross-exam went w/the defendant, we've decided that there is no necessity to call Andrew Jarecki.

Judge.jpg

As to Lewin's explanation about why he decided not to call Jarecki, David Chesnoff responded: I thought it was Chip and my argument (last night - that changed Lewin's mind) A little funny by Chesnoff.

That was quick! (Well by the standards of this trial) Dick DeGuerin's redirect of Durst is over with: Bob, did you kill Susan? Durst: No

Durst.jpg

Now recross-examination by Lewin.

Defense rests in #RobertDurst. They did not call an Asperger's expert as discussed earlier. They called a memory expert and the defendant.

WOW, that's it! Both sides have rested.

The judge will give the jury instructions to the jury at 2pm PT/5pm ET then court will be dark until Wed, Sept 8th when closing arguments will begin.

Judge Windham reading the lengthy jury instructions to the jury then court will be dark until next Wed, Sept. 8 when closing arguments will begin.

Judge1.jpg

Update!

for Wednesday, Sept. 1st:
*Trial continues (Day 54) (@ 9am PT) – CA – Susan Berman (55) (Dec. 24, 2000, Beverly Hills) – *Robert Alan Durst (57 @ time of crime/72/now 78) arrested (3/14/15) extradited (11/1/16 from Indiana prison to Calif.) & charged with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $4M Bond.
Was serving a 7 year federal prison term for illegal possession of a revolver at the time of his New Orleans’ arrest.
Trial began on 2/11/20 with pretrial motions & jury selection started on 2/19/20. Trial started on 3/4/20. Jury: 8 women & 4 men. 11 alternates. (1 alternate excused on 5/18/21) Now 10 alternates. (1 juror (#3) excused for medical reasons on 7/8/21). Now 9 alternates. Another juror excused (8/19/21) due to scheduling. Now 8 alternates. (Trial expected to last 5 months). Trial stopped 3/16/20 due COVID-19 & will restart on 7/27/20 & retrial was to restart on 4/12/21 continued to 5/17/21 continued to 5/18/21. No court on Fridays.
State rested their case on Tuesday (8/3/21). Defense has 2, possibly 3 witnesses (one is the defendant) & thinks 2 weeks for their case & will begin their case on 8/3/21 afternoon. Judge Windham denies the defense motion for mistrial based on their client's health & inability to testify on 8/2/21. Judge denies defense motion for judgment of acquittal.
Upcoming schedule: Thursday, 8/26 ending 4pm, Tuesday, 8/31 ending 2:45pm, Thurs. 9/2-DARK, 9/6-DARK/Labor Day, Tues, 9/7-DARK/ Jewish Holiday & Thurs, 9/16 (if still going) DARK/Yom Kippur. Closing arguments begin 9/8 & half of 9/9. Defense closing late 9/9/21 & back on 9/13/21 with defense concluding their closing & jury should have case on 9/14/21.

Jury Selection from 2/19/20 thru 3/3/20 (Days 1-8) & Trial Days 1-6 (3/4/20 thru 3/12/20) & Court info from 3/16/20 thru 5/12/21 & Trial Days 1-53 (5/18/21 thru 8/31/21) reference post #670 here:
https://www.webs+sleuths.com/forums...los-angeles-23-dec-2000-arrest.324950/page-34

9/1/21 Wednesday, Trial Day 54: DA Lewin will not be calling Andrew Jarecki in rebuttal. Defense witness: Robert Durst. Defense attorney Dick DeGuerin on redirect. And recross-exam by Lewin. Defense rests. And State rests. The Judge read the jury instructions to the jury & closing arguments will start on Wed. 9/8/21.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back