CA CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, Univ of CA student, San Francisco, 30 Sep 2020 #2

Funny enough, I am writing this post while I'm on a break from my summer job--scoring one of the Advanced Placement exams. I wanted to chime in to say that students have to have their AP scores sent directly to the schools to which they're applying--they can't do it themselves. And there is a charge to have these AP scores sent to each school--I believe it's $15 per score per school for "regular delivery" and $25 per score per school for "expedited delivery." So if she was sending 6 scores (five tests on which she scored 4 or 5, plus one that she got a 0,1,or 2 on) to each college to which she applied for admission, that's even more $$ the family devoted to trying to get her into a school that they felt was "right" (IMO, they meant "prestigious enough") for her.
Sydney had to go through the college admissions torture not once but twice with the deadlines, retaking tests, and in the second time with a $15,000 college admissions consultant hired by her parents, while simultaneously struggling to complete an internship at her father's company in her gap year to include in her college applications essays, while also getting a letter of recommendation from the co-founder of her father's company who also recently accepted a faculty position at Stanford to also help gain admission to elite colleges, according to the reddit postings.

Sydney was also completely stressed about SAT Subject Tests as well as being the first child of the family. In her reddit postings, she said she wished she had older siblings who could have helped her.

It is unclear whether her desire to get into an elite university or being on a elite collegiate rowing team was ever her own goal or imposed upon her. Twice she stated on reddit she just wanted to go to a community college then transfer to a four year school.

Reading all of these reddit postings reminded me of a book I read reviews for and excerpts years ago by Madeline Levine. She wrote about this in her 2006 bestseller The Price of Privilege: How Parental Pressure and Material Advantage Are Creating a Generation of Disconnected and Unhappy Kids. She based the book on 20+ years of treating affluent Bay Area teenagers---teenagers riddled with anxiety, depression, eating disorders, substance abuse, suicidal thoughts, etc.---striving to please parents ("maladaptive perfectionism"), pressure to achieve, and be perfect.

Last edited:
Was there ever a generation that was largely "connected and happy," though?
You ask a very good question. What Price, Privilege? / Has our overinvolved parenting style created a generation of kids with an impaired sense of self? If so, how can we work to get it back? discusses how today's children have an impaired sense of self. I agree with most of what is in the article, but not all of it. The sentence I agree most with is this: "Indulged, coddled, pressured and micromanaged on the outside, my young patients appeared to be inadvertently deprived of the opportunity to develop an inside." Another one is: "Authenticity is not aided when kids have to battle against parents who are implanting other, often unrealistic "selves" -- stellar student, outstanding athlete, perfect kid -- into their teenager's already crowded psychological landscape" as well as "Parents willingly pay thousands of dollars for tutors, coaches and preparatory courses in the hope that their child will outperform his friends and classmates and win an advantage in the classroom, the playing field or the admissions process."

In past generations, the sense I get is that young people were more connected to their peers in a genuine way rather than a superficial way. Many children today would like to have friends, but are isolated because they have little to no free time starting in about 6th grade. In years past, they spent time together after school in unstructured activities and were not inundated with 5-8 hours of homework, much of which is 'busy work' each evening starting in middle school. I don't recall any classmate or any of my siblings' classmates committing suicide while they were in K-12 or college. In cases where classmates had issues with their parents, sometimes they ran away or went to live with relatives, but I don't recall anyone choosing to end their lives at such a young age.

In the past, teachers that taught their subject matter retained their jobs, but teachers that just sat in the classroom that failed to teach were not re-hired year after year. Teachers graded homework and essays, corrected mistakes, and gave a wide range of grades rather than relying on parents to grade it or simply giving an A to all students.

In school, I can recall students participating in extracurricular activities not to build a resume for a college application, but because they genuinely wanted to participate. Mandated community service hours imposed by school districts to graduate high school were not required in order to get a high school diploma.

In the past, I do not recall teachers soliciting children and their parents for cash donations in order to give money to the teachers. Teachers were not allowed to tutor children for pay. I can't recall teachers working second jobs in after school tutoring centers getting paid directly by parents to tutor their children. The town I grew up in had no tutoring centers and no SAT prep tutoring centers.

Parents, especially in households where both parents worked, were simply too busy to be able to become over-involved in their children's lives. They were so busy it would be difficult to attempt to live vicariously through their children. There was no email back then and certainly no Facebook or Instagram or blogs where parents would overshare information about their children with seemingly Hallmark-inspired and sometimes photo-shopped perfection. Parents had their own set of friends and did not have to use their children as their companions. Starting in high school, in past generations, teenagers did not routinely "hang out" with their parents. Parents acted like parents, but did not dress like teenagers or attempt to look like teenagers. Kids were allowed to be kids, but in most cases not expected to be miniature adults.

Last edited:
Does the mother and daughter walking closely together along the SF bridge suggest that they may be getting closer to the realization that their daughter and sister probably did jump?. Seeing Faith sitting on the rock looking out towards ocean in a reflecting way, missing her sister, is so heartbreakimg.
I don't know. I looked at NAMUS to see if I could find any more information on the Pacifica unidentified female found in the ocean last Thursday morning, but I could not find a recent entry and I just checked a few minutes ago. I will look again tomorrow.

Last edited:
Her mother also did not know the type of headphones she was wearing. A Facebook user pointed out a discrepancy between the missing description (Bose) and the appearance from photos (Beats) but it was never corrected. As you said, I would want to make sure every detail was correct!
The NAMUS missing person record for Sydney also states her hair color as blonde/strawberry The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) so if this is the main database where law enforcement tries to match an unidentified person to a missing person, this isn't going to match her actual hair color. I have never seen a photo where her hair appears blonde or strawberry, but seems to be a medium brown color. Also the length of her hair says long in NAMUS, but though graduation photos in 2019 showed long hair, recent photos of her posted in mid 2020 seemed to show hair that was around shoulder length including the one where she was wearing headphones.

Yes, it would be her totally optional decision to send each one of them and sending the low scores is definitely a “whoops.”
The student stress over AP courses has been a contributing factor to many Bay Area suicides of young people. This started happening about 15 years ago as far as I can tell. If you take a look at this article, it describes several young people who have jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge. One is Casey Brooks who was 17 years old. A lot of times also a big argument with parents has preceded students going there to jump off. Gone discusses the circumstances of several young people and many were experiencing crushing school work loads. One was three weeks from graduating high school, one had just been accepted into their top college choice, and most were outstanding students. If the link for this article from San Francisco Magazine does not work Gone the cached copy might work Gone

What has happened also is that in the Bay Area, the school start date has morphed from beginning in the first week of September to the first week of August for many school districts. Many school districts also give students taking AP courses packets of work to complete during the summer. The students have little to no break anymore. What used to be a 3 month summer is now a 2 month summer. And that 2 month summer now includes a series of AP work assignments.

Many parents do not understand the intense workload, how it is difficult to drop AP courses (see the Casey Brooks situation in the article), and how after school tutoring has changed the entire student experience. Some students spend the entire day in school and then afternoons and nights in tutoring centers in the Bay Area. Students are extremely sleep deprived and then when they get into the freshman year at college, it starts all over again. This is quite true in the Bay Area/Silicon Valley where there is a "grind / hustle culture" due to the tech industry. Students who graduate college and work in the tech industry can end up at work from 8 AM to 10 PM or 11 PM at night seven days a week. Here is an article that describes it Why hustle culture's glorification of the grind is a lie | Elle Canada
One quote from the former CEO of Yahoo says it all - "Yes, you, too, could work 130 hours a week, former Yahoo head honcho Marissa Mayer told Bloomberg in all seriousness, “if you’re strategic about when you sleep, when you shower and how often you go to the bathroom.”"

130 hours a week means work days of 18 1/2+ hours a day for seven days a week....

Rumors around the Bay Area (not sure if this is true) say that the public schools in the area have students burdened with tremendous work loads and busy work to prepare children for never ending work days in the Bay Area work environment. Again, I am not sure if this is true, but I would not be surprised. There were so many high achieving students committing suicide in the Palo Alto area a few years back that the CDC even came in and did an investigation. Here is one article from the Washington Post on it https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-in-wealthy-palo-alto-have-committed-suicide/ but if you use Google you can find many other articles as well as the actual report. The student suicides aren't just happening in CA. A similar situation has occurred in Fairfax VA.

Last edited:
lots of different sources, but essentially the exact same reporting. Here is one example:

Body found at Pedro Point in Pacifica was in water ‘for some time,’ police say Body found at Pedro Point in Pacifica was in water ‘for some time,’ police say
I can't see where she was identified yet. The Facebook page for the Pacifica Police Department Log In or Sign Up to View hasn't been updated with any new information and the Pacifica Tribune website does not have any new information. I don't think the body found at Pedro Point is Sydney West. I haven't seen any more articles in the Mercury News or SFGate either.

The info for the unidentified person is not on NAMUS but I noticed that if you look for unidentified persons in San Mateo County by DBF (Date Body Found), the latest entry is several years old.

I can't see where she was identified yet. The Facebook page for the Pacifica Police Department Log In or Sign Up to View hasn't been updated with any new information and the Pacifica Tribune website does not have any new information. I don't think the body found at Pedro Point is Sydney West. I haven't seen any more articles in the Mercury News or SFGate either.

The info for the unidentified person is not on NAMUS but I noticed that if you look for unidentified persons in San Mateo County by DBF (Date Body Found), the latest entry is several years old.

A member from the main page asked her mom few days ago and she said it was confirmed to them the body was not Sydney's.

Seems a very inappropriate question to ask her mother, IMO.
I can't find where someone directly asked the mother this.

What I can find is:

Someone posted on the general Sydney West Missing from CA page (not the Find Sydney West page) the question "Is their nothing on police activity or someone found off Pacifica the clothes they were wearing recognizable?" Sydney West Missing From San Francisco, CA (Discussion)

It wasn't a question asked directly to the mother at all.

The mother happened to reply "I don't know" as well as "It is not her, we have confirmation."

Since she said "we have confirmation" it seems to me that when the area law enforcement finds someone who is unidentified, law enforcement checks the recently reported missing persons in NAMUS and when they can't identify who it is, they put out media releases seeking the public's help. Hopefully, Pacifica finds out who the person is shortly. The last report I saw is that the San Mateo County Coroner is working on a death investigation.

Last edited:
I have not heard of a renewal. I am wondering if they are thinking she did jump.
In the Reddit posts, Sydney in some posts portrayed herself as upbeat and confident and in others in despair and depressed. One of the posts she responded to was in a topic concerning freshman suicides where the heading was concerned mental issues getting worse during the first year of college. One line was "If you are depressed in high school, you will be even more depressed in college due to the extra workload. Just the fact that you spent 4 years of high school working and grinding just to go to college and study even MORE is enough to make many freshman suicide, which is what happens at all elite institutions...." a discussion of imposter syndrome, ending with "These are one of the most detrimental years of your life. If you spend them at home, you will grow up to be an awkward adult with no social skills and low self esteem---and this is a recipe for disaster." The original post was deleted on Reddit, but is still available on the internet.

She responded with "I used to feel like this too. Lately I do too." She then referenced the mindfulness program, but said it lasted 8 months; however, in other posts she referred to it only lasting 8 weeks. Obviously, Sydney was having a difficult time as indicated by this and the Gap Year Blues essay and the Row, Row Your Boat Tik-Tok video with the "I'm dying deep down inside" lyrics.

During the Gap Year, it looked like she was taking tests over and over again. She took the ACT in December 2019 and posted her scores with the comment "I ended up getting a 35 on english, 35 on reading, and 11 on the essay. However, I bombed the math and english, with a 25 and 24..." on Reddit. [By the second 'english,' that was probably a typo because she mentioned english twice (maybe she meant the science subscore was 24, but it is unclear)]. She was looking to re-take the tests in February 2020 in order to raise the low subtest scores. It sounds as though she kept taking and re-taking standardized tests to raise her scores to achieve near perfect scores which probably was quite stressful.

According to the Reddit postings, Sydney's parents spent $15,000 to hire a college admissions consultant to have her admitted to a Top 20 university with Sydney applying to Stanford, Harvard, Brown, etc. Not only was Sydney under pressure to perform academically but also be a D1 collegiate athlete on the rowing team with a year round Fall, Winter and Spring brutal and intensive practice schedule where team practices are 20 hours a week in the early morning hours before classes start (even though she had never previously competed in rowing) with individual conditioning sessions also taking many more hours per week.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
?Unicorn/Fkboi?
Back