GUILTY CA - Terry Smith, 11, autistic, Menifee, 6 July 2013

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by nikb, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Kinpa4

Kinpa4 New Member

I'm not sure how it works in CA, but here in PA the only aid I can get for my son is Medicaid. Social security is not available because they said we made too much money...ha freaking ha! That was years and years ago, and I was not working, only my husband was.

2. KALI

KALI On Time Out

I am confused! How big is their yard? I live 25 minutes from Menifee. It's been damn Hot here all week.
    Would the family not smell decomposition? Heck-there's something dead in the park behind my house (animal of some sort) that is making me noshious sitting in my backyard.
    Houses in So. Cal normally have small yards. If your yard is bigger then 7000 square feet, that's considered a large yard.
    How could this family not have seen him-or, smelled the decomposition?
    Something is wrong here.

3. Amity

Amity Attention Span of a Gnat

A neighbor .....6 doors down, worked rather hard at finding a doctor who would dx her step-son as autistic.
    A few of us wondered why it seemed that the woman 'wanted' her ss to be autistic.

It wasn't but a couple months later when another neighbor found out the child had been dx as autistic and turns out if you have a disabled child, you get help from the state? government? in the form on $$$.

Just sayin'

ETA: My sister in the pic below, the one in the wheel chair, lived for years in San Jacinto. Many of her friends lived and still live in Menifee.
    I went with sis many a time to her friends' homes, neighborhood park birthday parties, etc.
    It's like old stomping grounds to me.
    Wonderful people. Always helpful, always willing to say "Hi !" even though they didn't know you.

4. momma73

momma73 Member

All I am going to say which moo,jmo,IMO and all that jazz is that we see on here more than I can handle is an autism child wandering away and ending up deceased.

So if some family says he has "autism" maybe people will believe he just wandered away.

And maybe he was high functioning and his dad and teachers never knew.

I am so sad and angry right now I don't know whether to cry or scream.

RIP Terry sending prayers to those who love you and will miss you!

5. IHAVENOCLUE

IHAVENOCLUE Well-Known Member

This is one. Of three cases I am following closely where the last siting of the deceased/missing .... Independent of family members... Is glaringly NOT being reported...

I do not know why this seems to be the protocol of these cases...

And it leads to a great deal of speculation... Both as to who last saw the person and when... And why the information is being withheld...

I wish there was an answer for this practice...

JMO

6. kkdj

kkdj Well-Known Member

I, at this point do not believe Juju was autistic.
    I think it was something to cause some to think he wandered.
    it is a lie imo

7. IHAVENOCLUE

Unfortunately... She may use it as an excuse when in court...

"Blaming" the fact that he had unruly behaviors that would warrant strong reactions...

Of course... That is NOT excusable... As all of us on WS knows...

but she may be an opportunist...

All just a theory of mine...

8. kkdj

kkdj Well-Known Member

I hear you!
    I am livid with the manipulations and outcome of this case tho!
    jmo

9. kkdj

kkdj Well-Known Member

So, the mother must have known what happened!!!
    Is she protecting her other son or is he protecting her?jmo
    jms

10. sophiebelle

sophiebelle New Member

I worked with students within the entire spectrum of autism for 25 years. You don't diagnose your own child for one thing. If he had this, his teacher would have known and he would have had an individual plan drawn up just for him.
    What a terrible thing happened to this child, and I hope it's acknowledged properly by the household, and there are no excuses given for what happened.

11. SCHMAE

SCHMAE Well-Known Member

Well Terry's mom is not the other boy's mom, right? Is he the son of her live in gf? Or is that still who knows ? I was wondering if the livein gf is the step sons' bio mom, then she may have stepped in to protect her son......

12. Tulessa

Tulessa Well-Known Member

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed , Thank you for posting this! Until you are a crime victim, you can't even imagine walking in their shoes. They tried to dig up dirt on my family, when I was going through my ordeal. That was SOOOO painful, but there was no dirt to be found. Again, I humbly thank you, and appreciate your hard work and dedication here. :blowkiss:

13. momma73

momma73 Member

This is what I was trying to say sarcastically in my post that how would his dad who he lived until I believe in this last year not know? Plus the teachers at his school? I would like to know if the Autism diagnoses was just made up recently or if they had been telling people that for awhile since he has been living there? If very recently like when they reported him missing then that would suggest they were trying to get people to believe he wandered off.

I hope I am making sense.... I have ADD and the later it gets the less my brain works.

14. Newton

Newton Active Member

I thought that at first, too. Maybe someone with twitter should tweet at him to clarify. The situation is going to be hard enough for the dad without the media mucking it up.

15. Scanner

Scanner Well-Known Member

Hypothetically speaking, what medications are prescribed for autism? Are these meds something that can be ‘abused’?

16. SCHMAE

SCHMAE Well-Known Member

This boy has broken my heart :( Tks everyone for stepping in and sticking with him. You guys and your map making and diligence are truly astounding. I feel it's time for me to go now because I do not want to know what happened that night. My mind can dream up all kinds of things but sometimes you read one little detail that you cannot UN read and I don't want that to be the case here. Prayers for his heart broken family. I'm sorry your time was short with this smiling angel. :)

17. nikb

nikb Active Member

BBM: yeah this bothers me a lot too. I mean, wouldn't the first place the family looked be around the house in case he wandered off or hid somewhere? Gruesome thought but wouldn't one of them been likely to stumble across him even before volunteer/LE searchers?

18. nikb

nikb Active Member

Re: disability I would think it'd have to be considered one, if it's anything beyond very, very mild. Also depends on who you're asking I suppose - school district, government agency, etc. but in most cases I'd think so.

Re: the photos I totally agree with you. The first pic I thought maybe they just found a great pic of him where he happened to be very engaged, then I thought maybe it's just a very mild form, but "severe" - no way. I've worked with children with severe autism doing behavior therapy, and I've made many many items for an annual fundraiser for FEAT (Families for Early Autism Treatment) that involved photos. Granted it was years ago, but I've met many children with autism and seen many beautiful, gorgeous, angelic photos, but none with that same smile and eye contact as this boy's. :( Even when they're trying really, really hard to smile "normal." (the girl I worked with would say that sometimes, that she was going to "smile normal")

19. Newton

Newton Active Member

I felt from the beginning that this one would probably have a sad ending with family involvement. I don't know of many mothers that would not check on a child that young when they returned home from a night out. Even so, I tried to hold onto some hope and shared the missing poster on fb. I had that same why and how feeling regardless. In a way, I hope I always find things this horrific to be shocking (if that makes sense).

20. IHAVENOCLUE

I am not saying this is true here...

but I have heard where children are encouraged to "take the fall" for a crime as

minors do not get as heavy prison sentences as adults...

Just some thoughts...