GUILTY CA - Thomas Jewell for sex abuse, child *advertiser censored*, Martinez, 2010

Oh, where did I find the stuff? Just follow the yellow brick road. Truly it wasn't hard. Jewell was proud of his work...all his "work".

My guess is that he's not a real happy camper. He loved the rules but they never applied to him. Now, they do.

From the blog link above. I'd missed this:

Oct. 19, 2010

THE DAWN ADVANCING
The dawn advances
On a dream
As my wheels turn
Speeding down an
Empty 3 A.M. street
In San Francisco

All alone
For the solitary lone-
liness and joy
Travel brings.

1 COMMENTS:

"A" said...
I wonder where you're headed..."

That's a bit ominous. I wonder if someone was just vaguely wondering what he meant or if they were aware of just what he does at 3 am in San Francisco. And what is that, pray tell? He sure wasn't traveling as you and I would describe it. Contra Costa County is but a few miles from downtown SF.

Another one of the commenters is a reasonably well known teacher and published author from San Jose State. She must be reeling with pain to hear what this man has done. I'm not sure if he was a student of hers but he did attend the school ten years ago. She followed his poetry blog, however.

Some very interesting comments here:

http://claycord.com/2010/12/06/juve...as-jewell-now-charged-with-child-molestation/

There are several posts from young people who dealt with him--especially Post #43. Hmmm. He was a high school teacher to this person. Also note that he's been in the Peace Corps, as was another recently arrested teacher, Rob Mocarsky of Maine. Complaints had come rolling in about Mocarsky and so he took a few years off and went to Russia with the Peace Corps. He returned with a wife and started teaching and inappropriately photographing again.

I revere the Peace Corps but I'm starting to think that a bit more investigation needs to go into what has recently happened in a volunteer's life....whether there were charges brought, or not.

There's also Post #39 from Jewell's former wife (as she claims).

Some very interesting comments here:

http://claycord.com/2010/12/06/juve...as-jewell-now-charged-with-child-molestation/

There are several posts from young people who dealt with him--especially Post #43. Hmmm. He was a high school teacher to this person. Also note that he's been in the Peace Corps, as was another recently arrested teacher, Rob Mocarsky of Maine. Complaints had come rolling in about Mocarsky and so he took a few years off and went to Russia with the Peace Corps. He returned with a wife and started teaching and inappropriately photographing again.

I revere the Peace Corps but I'm starting to think that a bit more investigation needs to go into what has recently happened in a volunteer's life....whether there were charges brought, or not.

There's also Post #39 from Jewell's former wife (as she claims).

Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Good find Izzy. I'd have never seen that.

If that is true about the former #39 then that's too, too much.

Wonder who the heck Dee Dee is. Like a big whoop edumication lets ya off the hook.

IMO, if you dissect the CV above, his education is quite fragmented....much as the man himself. He's been all over the place. I read through the almost 50 posts on the link I posted above and a number of kids have weighed in that they were "creeped" out by the guy--along with the young man that noticed nothing. Sounds like he tried very very hard to groom certain children.

Several years ago, we had a son spend 10 months at the old State Hospital in Salem, OR. It was his second extended stay at the place and it was not a cheerful place to be. There was a man who was a therapist (possibly a psychologist). That man did everything in his power to triangulate between our son, my husband, and me. It was a 250 mile drive to Salem, which we gladly made once a week. However, over and over, this man would call us "privately" and tell us that our son was having a hard week and it might be best that we not visit. He insisted that our son refer to us by our first names rather than Mom and Dad and took our son out on private outings. I was not happy. We'd already gone through the trial and you'd think that I would be overly sensitive to anything amiss but this man was so good at what he did. So good. I still wonder where he was heading.

I have a close relationship with our son now and I've spoken to him about this man. He swears that nothing ever happened but that it was clear to him, even at 17, that this man was trying to pull him away from us. It makes my blood run cold now. I wonder where he's gone. Being that the children's unit has closed down, I wonder how you find an old employee roster. Very similar MO as Jewell. Too similar.

I missed this on the first read:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_17229684

".....Jewell was taking steps to get licensed as a marriage and family therapist before his arrest."

Of course he was. Just another step towards getting his victims behind closed doors. Yikes, this guy scares me.

Contemplating his next "global assignment":

http://www.enteryes.com/id11.html

Jewell has moved around quite a bit:

Thomas L Jewell
(Age 53)

Associated Names:
Thomas Perez Jewell

San Jose, CA
Los Gatos, CA
Del Rio, TX
Kelseyville, CA
Vallejo, CA
Suisun City, CA
Pittsburg, CA
Cobb, CA
Middletown, CA

For those not familiar with California, Los Gatos is very close to San Jose. Vallejo, Suisun City and Pittsburg are all in the SF Bay Area. Cobb, Middletown, and Kelseyville are teensy little towns up near Clear Lake in Northern California. I wonder what he was doing in Del Rio, TX though?

ETA: He lectured at Southwest Texas Junior College and he taught high school in Middletown. The Los Gatos and San Jose addresses would relate to his years at San Jose State and the Bay Area addresses to his most recent position. In going back over his CV, I was reminded that he was also an MP in the 70s.

As this case has moved forward, I'd actually forgotten about the large amount of child *advertiser censored* found at Jewell's residence:

http://www.martinezgazette.com/news...selor-charged-49-counts-child-molestation-and

"....A week before Thanksgiving, just after 7 a.m., Martinez, Pleasant Hill and Walnut Creek detectives served a search warrant on Jewell’s home on Massolo Drive to look into allegations of child *advertiser censored* possession. “Detectives found a very large amount of child *advertiser censored* on digital storage devices at the residence,” said [Pleasant Hill Police Lt., Dan] Connelly. Area F.B.I agents were brought in to sift through what police described yesterday as thousands of photographs and videos depicting child *advertiser censored*.

One minor in particular is discussed in the amended criminal complaint, identified under the pseudonym John Doe, and [Assistant District Attorney, Dana] Filkowski said the molestation occurred over the past three years. Doe is now aged 15; Filkowski declined to state whether the victim was a past or present resident at the John A. Davis Juvenile Hall facility at 202 Glacier Drive, where Jewell worked.

“Jewell worked closely with at-risk children throughout Contra Costa and other neighboring counties and has likely been in contact with hundreds of kids,” said Connelly and reiterated in a press release issued by the Pleasant Hill PD Monday evening. “Investigators want to speak to anyone who may have been a victim, or who may have accepted gifts, money, traveled with, been invited to Jewell’s home, or witnessed any suspicious behaviors by Jewell...."

So, John Doe was 12 when Jewell started sexually assaulting him!! Mentally ill, at risk, and quite possibly incarcerated....that's what I would call vulnerable. Thomas Jewell disgusts me.

Where exactly is Youth Homes, Inc.--where Jewell was supposedly a clinical supervisor? I find it in Charlotte, NC but I don't trace him there.

An update:

http://www.sfexaminer.com/news/california/2011/02/youth-counselor-charged-2-more-molestations

"A Contra Costa County juvenile hall counselor has been charged with molesting two more boys, bringing the number of alleged victims to three and the number of felony counts against him to 73. Thomas Perez Jewell of Pleasant Hill pleaded not guilty to the new charges Tuesday.

Deputy District Attorney Dana Filkowski tells the Contra Costa Times that one of the boys was a youth offender treated at Juvenile Hall and the other was a client of Jewell's private counseling business. The 53-year-old remains jailed in lieu of $5.8 million bail. He agreed Tuesday not to practice psychotherapy until the criminal charges are resolved...."

more at link

Being that his bail is so high, is Jewell promising not to practice psychotherapy while locked up? I'm so worried that more and more young people are going to step forward. My prayers are with them as they search for the courage to do so.

Well then, we're on the right path:

http://www.mercurynews.com/rss/ci_19401106?source=rss

Former Contra Costa counselor pleads guilty to federal child-*advertiser censored* charge
November 23, 2011

"A former Juvenile Hall youth counselor accused of molesting boys he mentored has pleaded guilty to federal child-*advertiser censored* charges, clearing the way for further prosecution in Contra Costa County. Thomas Perez Jewell, 54, appeared Wednesday in federal court in Oakland, where he pleaded guilty to one count of producing child *advertiser censored*, according to the U.S. attorney's office. Jewell faces from 15 to 30 years in prison after he is sentenced in February and will be required to register as a sex offender...."

and

"...Contra Costa prosecutors have scheduled a Nov. 30 preliminary hearing to address 73 county charges, most of which allege sex crimes against three young boys..."

and

"...Jewell admitted to sexually molesting two underage victims and recording the crimes. An investigation involving the FBI and police from Pleasant Hill, Martinez and Walnut Creek investigated Jewell, leading to a search warrant served at his Pleasant Hill home on Nov. 18, 2010, that yielded volumes of child *advertiser censored*...."

and

"...Jewell was a longtime intern for Contra Costa Health Services' mental health division, which contracts with Juvenile Hall. He was also seeking his state therapist's license but as of February was the subject of disciplinary proceedings by the state Board of Behavioral Sciences. Authorities identified three victims, all boys under the age of 15. Two of them were clients through either his county position or his private Pittsburg-based counseling business, YES Enterprises...."

More at link

"Prosocial conduct" and "unhesitating remorse"?? Give me a break!! His own sister doesn't buy it and neither do I.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/news/ci_20080007?source=rss

Former Contra Costa juvenile hall counselor sentenced for molestation, child *advertiser censored*
March 1, 2012

"A former Contra Costa Juvenile Hall counselor convicted of molesting young boys and producing child *advertiser censored* has been sentenced to 29 years in federal prison.
A federal judge Wednesday also ordered 54-year-old Pleasant Hill resident Thomas Perez Jewell to pay $234,000 in restitution to one of his three victims; two victims were subjects of his child *advertiser censored*...."

and

"...(Jewell) takes full responsibility and expresses unhesitating and genuine remorse and shame for the crimes he has committed," Jewell's attorney, Deborah Levine, wrote the federal court. "Their seriousness stands in stark contrast to the achievements and prosocial conduct that has otherwise characterized (his life.)" Jewell's sister said she visited her brother about five times in jail, and she was taken aback by what she believes is a lack of remorse..."

More at link

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back