CA - Wind-Driven Thomas Fire Explodes to 31,000 Acres; 150 Structures Destroyed, 2017

iQuestion :grouphug:

I feel so awful that I am here in relative comfort and free of worries, yet some I know (even if only via internet) are going through such devastating experiences. I am grateful when you are able to stop by, as it gives an honest and true perspective of the reality our California friends are facing. There is so little being shown on our news channels here.

You take care of yourself as best you can. We are here to prop you beck up when you need an extra hug, prayer, thought, anything we can give back to you.

The same applies to all who may be experiencing the devastation in the area, or have friends/family who are. We are here for all of you, as much as we possibly can be. Do not hesitate to ask for a hug!

Hey there MARGARITA25 I apologize profusely for not checking in with all of you. In my humble defense, I have been running ragged and trying to comply with all the requests from the insurance company, adjusters, city, hazardous waste disposal, attorneys etc. Going to every city meeting and/or disaster relief meeting. I can not emphasize the devastation....it wasn't just a fire, it was an incinerator....fire so hot it melted glass windows, and metal. The dry vegetation was the fuel and the high winds provided the bellows of a blacksmith's furnace.....a furnace that was moving the length of a football field per minute!! Monday night I attended a city meeting (in Ventura County) and they were explaining how dangerous the rains would be due to the lack of vegetation on the hillsides. They showed us maps of the watershed and how devastating the flooding could be.....they told people to call 911 if any of the sewer grids were clogged with debris, etc. (Going to the meeting was a last minute decision, but one I will never regret...and I told Hubby, this is going to be a long night.) Sadly, less than 9 hours later our neighboring county of Santa Barbara (also affected by the Thomas Fire) got a torrent of rain as the storm moved North. In only 5 minutes of hard rainfall, the ash and debris moved down the hillsides and (as of last count) 13 beautiful lives were lost!!! This is horrible.....absolutely unfathomable....
These people lived in one of the most scenic and desirable areas of California.....with all of our technology and USGS maps on flooding scenarios.....how can this happen??????

Reality has set in.....and it hurts deeply....I am crying a bit too much. Mr. Wonderful has noticed the light of my eternal optimism has dimmed significantly. I can't sugar-coat this, recovery is extremely difficult....but our situation is minor compared to the loss of precious lives. Tonight I am praying for the residents of Montecito (Santa Barbara County) and hope there are no more casualties.
IQ.

IQ, we are so happy to hear from you and grateful that you have taken the time out of all of this to let us know where you are at.

I'm sorry to say I have no words that will better this situation but I am sending love and prayers and all that I can send not being local to help you physically. We are all just a little post away and if there is anything and I mean ANYTHING that we can actually do from wherever we are stationed, please, please tell us.

Love, hugs and all that good stuff coming your way, IQ and anyone else feeling the wrath of disasters in CA right now. :heartbeat:

Hey there MARGARITA25 I apologize profusely for not checking in with all of you. In my humble defense, I have been running ragged and trying to comply with all the requests from the insurance company, adjusters, city, hazardous waste disposal, attorneys etc. Going to every city meeting and/or disaster relief meeting. I can not emphasize the devastation....it wasn't just a fire, it was an incinerator....fire so hot it melted glass windows, and metal. The dry vegetation was the fuel and the high winds provided the bellows of a blacksmith's furnace.....a furnace that was moving the length of a football field per minute!! Monday night I attended a city meeting (in Ventura County) and they were explaining how dangerous the rains would be due to the lack of vegetation on the hillsides. They showed us maps of the watershed and how devastating the flooding could be.....they told people to call 911 if any of the sewer grids were clogged with debris, etc. (Going to the meeting was a last minute decision, but one I will never regret...and I told Hubby, this is going to be a long night.) Sadly, less than 9 hours later our neighboring county of Santa Barbara (also affected by the Thomas Fire) got a torrent of rain as the storm moved North. In only 5 minutes of hard rainfall, the ash and debris moved down the hillsides and (as of last count) 13 beautiful lives were lost!!! This is horrible.....absolutely unfathomable....
These people lived in one of the most scenic and desirable areas of California.....with all of our technology and USGS maps on flooding scenarios.....how can this happen??????

Reality has set in.....and it hurts deeply....I am crying a bit too much. Mr. Wonderful has noticed the light of my eternal optimism has dimmed significantly. I can't sugar-coat this, recovery is extremely difficult....but our situation is minor compared to the loss of precious lives. Tonight I am praying for the residents of Montecito (Santa Barbara County) and hope there are no more casualties.
IQ.

Good to hear from you IQ, as I've been thinking of you and your DH and how you're doing, especially with the flooding. Here's wishing you strength and courage through this tremendously testing time. Unbelievable how much people have gone through with the fires and now this. Sending you all the hugs you want. Thank you for keeping us informed on you.

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. – The number of missing after a California mudslide has fluctuated wildly, due to shifting definitions, the inherent uncertainty that follows a natural disaster, and just plain human error.

On Thursday, the number provided by authorities went from 48, down to eight, then back up to 43. Officials say a clerical mistake led to the figure of eight being released.
At a news conference Thursday where he said 43 were missing, Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown said the updated figure was an "inclusive" number that encompassed several definitions of "missing."
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/11/shifting-numbers-and-definitions-missing-after-mudslide.html

:panic::tears:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...in-Southern-California-Mudslides-January-2018

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-tale-deadly-california-mudslides/1024179001/

30 square miles. 17 dead. More than 400 homes damaged. The tragic tale of deadly California mudslides

>>>snip

...Cal Fire puts the affected area at 30 square miles. Seventeen people dead, 28 injured, 43 missing — a number updated by officials due to a clerical mistake. Sixty-five homes confirmed destroyed and more than 400 damaged. Fourteen helicopters and four water rescue teams were aiding the effort...

(article continues, with video)

<<<snip

(((((IQ!! Hugging you so hard!!!))))) (((((You too, shana!! Are you all right?!)))))

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redhairdontcare
Back