Identified! CA - Yosemite Summit Meadow, WhtFem, 20-23, Henry Lee Lucas Victim, 1983 - Patricia 'Patty' Hicks

Did it mention her name?
Her name was Patricia 'Patty' Hicks (Married name Dahlstrom). She was around 29 at the time of her death.

Her reconstruction was pretty accurate IMO. I’m glad she’s got her name back and her family hopefully received some closure. https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article267754952.html (this isn’t behind a paywall for me in the US. ETA, the 2nd time I clicked it I was prompted to subscribe.)

The series features exclusive interviews with the victim’s close friends and detectives, who reveal details about her involvement in an alleged cult. The detectives also name who they believe is the most likely perpetrator.

Rest peacefully now Patty.

What a pretty lady. Yes, her Parabon reconstruction was very close IMO, just the nose was off.

Was Patty divorced?
Yes, she was divorced.

Parabon does not claim to be able to predict noses. We only predict traits we believe we can have high confidence about based on the genetic results from the SNP panel we use.

More information about Hicks has appeared on Unidentified Wiki.

Just to sum it up:
  • She last contacted family in September 1982 after relocating to California from Washington state.
  • She had joined a cult founded by Donald Gibson possibly to deal with trauma caused by her brother's suicide
  • She was married at one point to a high school friend, but they divorced in 1974
  • Friends said Hicks' personality changed after these events which left her vulnerable and too trusting
  • Members of Gibson's cult were recruited based on attractiveness and activities included arranged marriages and sexual rituals
  • In December 1980, several members of the cult including Hicks were arrested. Three under-aged males said that they were given LSD by Gibson. At least one of them was sexually assaulted while unconscious during their first meeting with him. Sexual assaults were done under a religious pretense in the cult
  • Gibson was tried in court in September 1981 and was convicted of 4 sexual offenses the following month. He jumped bail following conviction to avoid being sentenced. Gibson has never been located.
  • After Gibson escaped, Hicks decided to leave the cult which displeased her roommate and witness. The witness and Hicks had grown close during their time in the cult.
  • The witness believed Hicks planned on taking public transportation to Yosemite National Park, but the specific location where she wanted to go isn't known.

And now the suspects:
  • Both members of the original investigative team as well as the current investigator believe Henry Lee Lucas is responsible for murdering Hicks. Lucas claimed he picked up Hicks while she was hitchhiking between Corona and Yosemite. He allegedly strangled her after they spent time drinking and had an argument about leaving Yosemite. Budweiser beer cans were found near the remains which was Lucas' drink of choice. Testing of these cans is underway. Hicks' former roommate, however, says that it she didn't drink alcohol due to her staunch religious beliefs.
  • The investigation revealed that Donald Gibson was capable of violence against any cult member who betrayed him. Many of his followers might have stayed with him out of fear or manipulation. Investigators are concerned he might have been involved in Hicks' murder whether directly or by proxy.
  • In 1999, Cary Stayner murdered a trio of females and a Yosemite National Park staff member. He coincidentally attended Donald Gibson's 1981 trial. The Stayner and Gibson families were friends with one another at the time. Stayner may have decided to harm Hicks for testifying against Gibson. Stayner and Hicks also lived in the same town with some level of familiarity with Yosemite.

And now the suspects:
  • Both members of the original investigative team as well as the current investigator believe Henry Lee Lucas is responsible for murdering Hicks. Lucas claimed he picked up Hicks while she was hitchhiking between Corona and Yosemite. He allegedly strangled her after they spent time drinking and had an argument about leaving Yosemite. Budweiser beer cans were found near the remains which was Lucas' drink of choice. Testing of these cans is underway. Hicks' former roommate, however, says that it she didn't drink alcohol due to her staunch religious beliefs.
  • The investigation revealed that Donald Gibson was capable of violence against any cult member who betrayed him. Many of his followers might have stayed with him out of fear or manipulation. Investigators are concerned he might have been involved in Hicks' murder whether directly or by proxy.
  • In 1999, Cary Stayner murdered a trio of females and a Yosemite National Park staff member. He coincidentally attended Donald Gibson's 1981 trial. The Stayner and Gibson families were friends with one another at the time. Stayner may have decided to harm Hicks for testifying against Gibson. Stayner and Hicks also lived in the same town with some level of familiarity with Yosemite.
Nicely done.

Even though I was alright with not seeing her because of her families wishes I was always curious of what she looked like, where she lived, what was her life like. I give my condolences to her family.
This photo isn't of Patty Hicks - it's Ruth Marie Terry - Lady in the Dunes.

1667528255879.png

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname