Canada - 47 killed as train explodes, Lac-Megantic, QC, 6 July 2013

Omg. I haven't heard much about injuries. Seems like that's always an ominous sign.

From what I have read they haven't been able to get in there to get close enough to look for bodies.

More details and better reporting than I have seen so far. God bless all those lost.

At least five dead in Lac Mégantic train derailment, explosion
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/least+five+dead+M%C3%A9gantic+train+derailment+explosion/8625646/story.html

Lac Mégantic: What we know, what we don’t know
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Mégantic+What+know+what+know/8626661/story.html

There are more articles. But the paper is now wanting to charge me....sigh.

Per second article in this post...

another train owned by this company derailed in the same area last month...

:what:

Coming from the Yarnell thread to this one, I can't help but wonder about the firemen fighting this fire. Prayers that they are ok.

From what I have read they haven't been able to get in there to get close enough to look for bodies.

from some of the pictures it doesn't look as if there are any bodies left in some of the buildings, they are burnt right down to the foundation, even the concrete is gone

I instantly thought of you, Snoopster, when I heard of this tragedy...

Do you live near this area?

:hug:

No. Not anywhere near. This is likely closer to folks in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine (within about 20 miles of where these three states almost merge) and not too far from eastern upper NY state. Carbuff is likely closer than I am. It is a beautiful area. Very green, with rolling hills, lakes, rivers and some ski hills.

We don't have that many folks from Quebec here on WS, particularly outside of Montreal, as they would tend to visit french websites.

ETA: sorry for the jumbled post. I had a skype call come in just as I was trying to fix it up, so I just hit send. :/
I just read an article about concerns that the oil is at risk of creating an environmental problem. They've put booms in the water to impede the down-river flow.

Lac Megantic is about 10 miles from the US border.

So, I'm a little confused. Did no one realize that 75 cars had separated and were on their way to Lac-Megantic? Did the fired dept just put out the locomotive fire and go home? The rail company had to have been contacted. The Conductor leaves for the night and just five minutes later 911 is called on the locomotive. 11:30PM to 1:15am is a long time for no one to mention 75 missing oil tankers!

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/M%C3%A9gantic+fire+timeline/8626739/story.html

I had read somewhere that the company was denying that the locomotive was ever on fire. Then the cell phone video came out. From your article it looks like the fire department did respond to the fire. So did anyone check the locomotive after the fire?

Now it looks like they are admitting that after the locomotive was shut down, it is possible that the air brakes released.

A lot of backpedaling and side stepping on the company's part. Doesn't look good.

Survivors of Lac-Megantic explosion devastated, enraged. (thestar.com)
“It was my daughter’s birthday. They went to celebrate at Musi-Cafe. That’s where the death train came down. A train filled with oil painted in black. It’s the death train.”

Anger is too weak a word to describe the sentiment of Raymond Lafontaine. It’s more like rage.
---
more at the link

Ed Burkhardt, chairman of the Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway, said Sunday night that the train’s sole engineer shut down four of the five locomotive units on the train, as is standard procedure, in the neighbouring community of Nantes before heading to Lac Mégantic to sleep. Burkhardt said the next engineer was probably due to arrive at daybreak.
But someone managed to shut down the fifth locomotive unit, he said. That’s the one that maintained brake pressure to keep the train in place.
“If the operating locomotive is shut down, there’s nothing left to keep the brakes charged up, and the brake pressure will drop finally to the point where they can’t be held in place any longer,” Burkhardt said.
There are two ways to shut down the fifth unit: There’s an emergency lever on the outside of the locomotive that anyone wandering by could access. Or, there are a number of levers and buttons inside the unlocked cabin.
Both means were used, said Burkhardt.
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...ses_in_quebec_train_derailment_explosion.html

---
Spokesperson Genevieve Gaudrault said the intensity of the initial blast and the flaming wagons that were still burning well into Sunday suggests that some victims may have simply been vapourized.
---
One Red Cross volunteer who asked not to be identified because he was not authorized to speak to the media put it bluntly: “You have to understand: there are no wounded. They’re all dead.”

That absence of injured is one of the most haunting signals to have emerged from the train explosion.
---
Lac-Mégantic’s hospital has now taken in dozens of suddenly homeless seniors from several downtown residences who are not able to stay at their homes. They are in the rooms and in the halls. They are being placed anywhere that can be spared.
---
more: http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...ital_eerily_quiet_after_quebec_explosion.html

No. Not anywhere near. This is likely closer to folks in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine (within about 20 miles of where these three states almost merge) and not too far from eastern upper NY state. Carbuff is likely closer than I am. It is a beautiful area. Very green, with rolling hills, lakes, rivers and some ski hills.

We don't have that many folks from Quebec here on WS, particularly outside of Montreal, as they would tend to visit french websites.

ETA: sorry for the jumbled post. I had a skype call come in just as I was trying to fix it up, so I just hit send. :/
I just read an article about concerns that the oil is at risk of creating an environmental problem. They've put booms in the water to impede the down-river flow.

Glad you and yours are fine!:seeya:

It sounds like an idyllic setting... In better times... :(

I could drive there in about 5-6 hours. I haven't been to the town itself but I've been in the area. Beautiful peaceful country, not the kind of place you'd expect a tragedy like this. Just heartbreaking. Accidents happen, but this sounds like either sabotage or senseless negligence.

Sounds intentional. IMO.

Or the engineer messed up and won't admit it. JMO

I just don't understand why more media outlets aren't picking up on the burning train BEFORE it went down the hill story. What's going on with that.

I could drive there in about 5-6 miles. I haven't been to the town itself but I've been in the area. Beautiful peaceful country, not the kind of place you'd expect a tragedy like this. Just heartbreaking. Accidents happen, but this sounds like either sabotage or senseless negligence.

I'm not sure which it is. The burning car sounds like sabotage and the engineer could have been pooped and neglected what needed to be done and checked into the hotel quickly. JMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back