Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a Missing People of Canada FB page and as of 3 hours ago, it states police are still searching for the trio (scroll down the news feed it's approx. the 3rd story down):

https://www.facebook.com/MissingPeopleCanada

ETA: I think I'll take this info with a grain of salt as not sure where they get their info, and not sure how updated they are, although I would *think* they would be.

Om August 20, police were still looking for the bodies of the murder victims.

August 20, 2014
"Police have been searching for the bodies of Alvin and Kathryn Liknes and Nathan O’Brien since they disappeared at the end of June. ... “2014 has been a very challenging year for the homicide unit,” says S/Sgt. Mike Cavilla from the Calgary Police Service. “We’re entering day 52 today, so we’re almost entering a third month of the investigation.” ... “The investigators continue to work diligently and long hours, until such time we’re able to provide answers to the family.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/1518228/high-profile-murder-cases-taking-toll-on-calgary-police-officers/

Om August 20, police were still looking for the bodies of the murder victims.

August 20, 2014
"Police have been searching for the bodies of Alvin and Kathryn Liknes and Nathan O’Brien since they disappeared at the end of June. ... “2014 has been a very challenging year for the homicide unit,” says S/Sgt. Mike Cavilla from the Calgary Police Service. “We’re entering day 52 today, so we’re almost entering a third month of the investigation.” ... “The investigators continue to work diligently and long hours, until such time we’re able to provide answers to the family.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/1518228/high-profile-murder-cases-taking-toll-on-calgary-police-officers/

I took the Missing People of Canada's update such as that also - searching for the bodies of the three, not them as alive. Maybe they're updating their FB page from the Aug. 20th update from MSM, not really sure how that organization (MPOC) works and where they get their information from exactly.

I took the Missing People of Canada's update such as that also - searching for the bodies of the three, not them as alive. Maybe they're updating their FB page from the Aug. 20th update from MSM, not really sure how that organization (MPOC) works and where they get their information from exactly.
They are still missing people though... Their bodies haven't been recovered.

for the patient. This music starts very quiet and has a tempo that of an ebb and flow of a very slow shore. must be listened from end to end, so lay back, turn off the puter/iphone/tv, turn up the volume and let this incredible music engulf you. Read the Wikipedia page after listening to it. One of my favorite pieces for orchestra and voice. It starts so quietly that you may think your mute is on. I was trying to find a word to describe the piece and the best I can do is; an ascenscion with slow breath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVITZUQ_uIU

Police stated that they were still looking for the bodies on August 20. Since they haven't yet been found, they're still looking. Police have said that they will continue to look for the bodies in order to bring closure to the families. Sometimes it takes a long time for bodies to be found, sometimes it takes years. There will be an announcement when they are found.

They are still missing people though... Their bodies haven't been recovered.

True, so confusing! Damn technicalities and semantics lol. If you read the comments below update, MPOC comments how sad it is that people are private messaging them complaining about a missing child, I'm assuming people are complaining about why a family declared dead by LE is still considered missing. But I agree with MPOC's stance that they also say in the comments - until they are found they won't give up hope.

another beautiful ascension piece by a Canadian composer, nice autumnal, country driving music, please listen from end to end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWc62xO2O2c

Some of the great composers like Dvorak and Mahler wrote stunningly beautiful pieces after suffering absolute tragic loss in their lives. I say this because I doubt Nathan will become yesterdays news and something of beauty will arise IMO.

Out of respect, I chose to write his whole name and not intialise.

One of my favourites...Author Unknown

The Invisible Cord

We are connected, my child and I,
By an invisible cord not seen by the eye.
It's not like the cord that connects us 'til birth,
This cord can't be seen by any on Earth.

This cord does it's work right from the start,
It binds us together, attached to my heart.
I know that it's there, though no one can see,
The invisible cord from my child to me.

The strength of this cord is hard to describe,
It can't be destroyed, it can't be denied.
It' stronger than any cord Man could create,
It withstands the test, can hold any weight.

And though you are gone, though you're not here with me,
The cord is still there but no one can see.
It pulls at my heart, I am bruised, I am sore.
But this cord is my lifeline as never before.

I am thankful that God connects us this way,
A mother and child, death can't take it away.

What a touching, poignant and moving poem, beautiful for us moms (and dads, respectfully) out there.

True, so confusing! Damn technicalities and semantics lol. If you read the comments below update, MPOC comments how sad it is that people are private messaging them complaining about a missing child, I'm assuming people are complaining about why a family declared dead by LE is still considered missing. But I agree with MPOC's stance that they also say in the comments - until they are found they won't give up hope.

They are missing, even though there is sufficient evidence to declare them deceased.

Ryan Lane was missing and presumed deceased, but there was no evidence to confirm that until nine months later when his remains were found in a field near Beiseker (22 km NE of Airdrie).

November 22, 2012
"About nine months after he went missing, police announced they have found the remains of Ryan Lane. His death is now officially declared a homicide although charges have not yet been laid. The 24-year-old went missing in February, last seen near the 5200 block of Country Hills Blvd [NW Calgary]. Police did several extensive searches for his body or clues in the case and Thursday said the have discovered his skeletal remains. ... Police have long said they believe the father, who had a young daughter — being raised by Lane's ex girlfriend — met with foul play."

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/11/2...missing-man-ryan-lane--murder-charges-pending

There is a Missing People of Canada FB page and as of 3 hours ago, it states police are still searching for the trio (scroll down the news feed it's approx. the 3rd story down):

https://www.facebook.com/MissingPeopleCanada

ETA: I think I'll take this info with a grain of salt as not sure where they get their info, and not sure how updated they are, although I would *think* they would be.

I think they are a formal group as the page is dedicated to Tim Jones (a colleague of theirs),, Tim was the main drive of the North Shore rescue in Vancouver and died from a heart attack during a rescue. And they were completely volunteer with funds going to helicopter costs not labour.

another beautiful ascension piece by a Canadian composer, nice autumnal, country driving music, please listen from end to end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWc62xO2O2c

Some of the great composers like Dvorak and Mahler wrote stunningly beautiful pieces after suffering absolute tragic loss in their lives. I say this because I doubt Nathan will become yesterdays news and something of beauty will arise IMO.

Out of respect, I chose to write his whole name and not intialise.

Well said stan :)

I believe you are right Stan Laurel, Nathan will not become yesterday's news.

Punky Gustavson was killed in 1992 and her killer was not found and charged until 2002; tried and convicted in 2005...22 years later she is still on Edmontonion's minds.

Tania Murrell has been missing since January 20, 1983 and is still unsolved. There is one POI in this case that is on EPS radar but no closure in this case...it's 31 years old. She too is a name Edmontonians still speak of. There is still hope that she may turn up alive after all these years.

Nathan O'Brien will never be forgotten, I'm pretty sure of that. Thankfully, the children are never forgotten, God Bless their innocent souls.

@Cherchri ... I'm also getting page not found at the link you gave. Can you maybe give us a summary of what it said? Thanks !!

I spent some time backtracking on my searches and it seems every new publication by Alberta Police Services updates the old reports ito time posted. I had a search going for NO and the link showed as having been updated in the past 8 hours. The new report was on the suspicious death of a woman in a truck in SE Calgary. I believe the NO report was simply the last one posted there and brought forward by the new post. Does that make sense? I can say there was nothing new - that I would have remembered. I shared simply because I found it odd there was a "new" report the day of the memorial. Apologies for unnecessary time spent.
So it comes up like this......Nathan O'Brien | Alberta Police Report
www.albertapolicereport.ca/tag/nathan-obrien/
11 hours ago - AB, Calgary, Display, Murder · Update: Murder Charge Laid

That makes sense Cherchri, thank you for solving that mystery!

I spent some time backtracking on my searches and it seems every new publication by Alberta Police Services updates the old reports ito time posted. I had a search going for NO and the link showed as having been updated in the past 8 hours. The new report was on the suspicious death of a woman in a truck in SE Calgary. I believe the NO report was simply the last one posted there and brought forward by the new post. Does that make sense? I can say there was nothing new - that I would have remembered. I shared simply because I found it odd there was a "new" report the day of the memorial. Apologies for unnecessary time spent.

Thanks for staying on top of things Cherchri! Totally makes sense :)

I believe you are right Stan Laurel, Nathan will not become yesterday's news.

Punky Gustavson was killed in 1992 and her killer was not found and charged until 2002; tried and convicted in 2005...22 years later she is still on Edmontonion's minds.

Tania Murrell has been missing since January 20, 1983 and is still unsolved. There is one POI in this case that is on EPS radar but no closure in this case...it's 31 years old. She too is a name Edmontonians still speak of. There is still hope that she may turn up alive after all these years.

Nathan O'Brien will never be forgotten, I'm pretty sure of that. Thankfully, the children are never forgotten, God Bless their innocent souls.
I remember every name of every child murder I ever reported on. My dad, could name EVERY homicide victim he investigated AND their family's names. Is important that the victims are never forgotten, if only to learn the tragic circumstances that led to their death so even one can hopefully be prevented.

What a touching, poignant and moving poem, beautiful for us moms (and dads, respectfully) out there.

This poem could be changed to father and child or parents and child to fit the occasion. The Sundre case where the little 9 year was found dead is also devastating as they suspect her mother. How sad that there was no invisible bond for this mother and daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaye 502