Still Missing Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 *Guilty* *Appeal* #29

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calg...ien-liknes-appeal-decision-sentence-1.5904859

Decision deals with whether concurrent parole ineligibility periods should be imposed

“Alberta's top court is set to release two decisions on Monday regarding the sentences for two multiple murderers, including Douglas Garland who killed a five-year-old boy and his grandparents.

Last June, the Alberta Court of Appeal heard sentence appeals in two cases, each involving the murders of three family members.

Douglas Garland, who killed a five-year-old boy and his grandparents, appealed his life sentence. It came with a 75 year parole ineligibility, as consecutive — rather than concurrent — sentences were applied by the trial judge. “

Upheld but headed to the SCC. This is not surprising....unfortunately.

In 2011 the Conservative Govt of the day amended the Canada Criminal Code to allow for consecutive sentencing but the constitutionality of that legislation has not yet been tested by the SCC. Their rulings are not predictable and regarding maximum parol eligibility, the argument always goes back to our system which is supposed to based on rehabilitation versus punishment. I’m crossing my fingers the current law won’t be repealed and we won’t backtrack to concurrent max 25 years, regardless of the number of victims.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calg...ien-liknes-appeal-decision-sentence-1.5904859
Triple murderer Douglas Garland's sentence upheld on appeal but dissent means case headed to Supreme Court

Last edited:
Upheld but headed to the SCC. This is not surprising....unfortunately.

In 2011 the Conservative Govt of the day amended the Canada Criminal Code to allow for consecutive sentencing but the constitutionality of that legislation has not yet been tested by the SCC. Their rulings are not predictable and regarding maximum parol eligibility, the argument always goes back to our system which is supposed to based on rehabilitation versus punishment. I’m crossing my fingers the current law won’t be repealed and we won’t backtrack to concurrent max 25 years, regardless of the number of victims.

Triple murderer Douglas Garland's sentence upheld on appeal but dissent means case headed to Supreme Court

This ruling by the SCC is so important. I think most Canadians agree that there are specific (evil) killers who should never be granted parole. The SCC has to accept that reality, and take into consideration the public's outrage and fear when the most dangerous and deranged convicts are eligible for parole. It should never happen.

I would guess that Garland would have received a 150 year sentence, with no parole in American courts. I think most Canadian citizens would agree to that.

I haven't listened to this yet but it just across my news feed.

This week on the #CrimeBeat podcast, Nancy Hixt - Crime Beat shares the unprecedented efforts made to find a five-year-old and his grandparents.
Follow along as police uncover shocking evidence and learn the twist that finally led investigators to a suspect.
https://trib.al/iuNCHtx

Crime Beat podcast: ‘Hunted by evil,’ Part 1 - Calgary | Globalnews.ca

Thank for posting the link to the podcast, the 1st of 3 parts, well done and well worth listening to. It’s fascinating to learn of what was going on inside the investigation at the same time the public was left to speculate. I won’t ever forget the courage of Nathan’s incredible parents while making their heartbreaking pleas. This tragedy touched many people, it certainly did me, how just on an ordinary day a lunatic such as Garland could cause such unimaginable horror and grief.

JMO

Sentencing rules were changed under the Harper Conservatives in 2011 with a new provision of the Criminal Code that allowed judges the discretion to hand out consecutive parole ineligibility periods to multiple murderers.

The Supreme Court has called that provision unconstitutional and said those punishments "bring the administration of justice into disrepute" and are "cruel and unusual by nature."…..

…..It's less clear what will happen to offenders whose sentence appeals have already been argued.

Garland killed five-year-old Nathan O'Brien and his grandparents Alvin and Kathy Liknes in Calgary in 2014.

Garland was convicted of three counts of first-degree murder and handed a life sentence with no chance of parole for 75 years, which was upheld by the Alberta Court of Appeal.

For Garland and others — like Travis Baumgartner, as well as Jason Klaus and Joshua Frank— their sentence appeals have either been argued and ruled on or the timeline to appeal has expired.

"I think their chances are very dim because unless the case is in the system, they're going to have a very difficult time getting any relief," said Alias Sanders, one of the most experienced appeal lawyers in Alberta.

"At the time they were sentenced, the legislation hadn't been declared unconstitutional."…..”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back