Missing pregnant Shanann Watts and her two daughter's bodies found, husband arrested
Join the latest discussion

Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #5

Discussion in '2010's Missing' started by sillybilly, Jul 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sillybilly

sillybilly WS Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Google streetview shows this at the end of their street (about 4 houses down from the Liknes' home):

[​IMG]

It's the Elbow River Pathway (iirc) that runs alongside the river.

2. bessie

bessie Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

full article:
    http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/amber-alert-issued-for-missing-five-year-old-from-calgary-1.1893711

Thread#1

Thread #2

Thread #3

Thread #4

*Media, Maps & Timeline*

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ia-Maps-amp-Timeline*&p=10713927#post10713927

Rules Etiquette & Information:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...iquette-amp-Information&p=8364858#post8364858

3. Coldpizza

Coldpizza WS Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Nathan O'Brien Amber Alert: 'Person of interest' has criminal past, new charge
    Douglas Garland faces identity theft charge in decades-old case, has link to Liknes family

Police took Garland into custody for questioning related to the search for five-year-old Nathan O'Brien and his grandparents, Kathy and Alvin Liknes, and CBC News has learned police have charged him with stealing the identity of Matthew Kemper Hartley — a 14-year-old Alberta boy killed in a car crash in 1980.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/natha...terest-has-criminal-past-new-charge-1.2698107

4. Coldpizza

Timeline of events
    BY ERIKA STARK

June 29: It’s the third day of the estate sale at Alvin and Kathryn Liknes’ home in Parkhill. Jennifer O’Brien, Kathryn’s daughter, visits the home with two of her children. At around 10 p.m., she leaves with her youngest son. Five-year-old Nathan O’Brien stays at his grandparents’ house for a sleepover.

June 30: Jennifer O’Brien returns to the Liknes house around 10 a.m. to pick up Nathan. No once is there. In the afternoon, police announce that they’re investigating what they say is the suspicious disappearance of Nathan and his grandparents. Around suppertime, an Amber Alert is issued for the missing trio. The alert prompts numerous calls to police, but yields no significant leads.

July 1: Police say they have a “big mystery” on their hands, and evidence at the Liknes home suggest that the three family members left the residence against their will. Police ask anyone who attended the estate sale between June 27 and 29 to contact them.

July 2: The parents of Nathan O’Brien make an emotional public plea for the return of their son at a press conference with police. “I know Grandma’s holding you so tightly right now and taking care of you and they are doing everything in their power to keep you safe, so I need you to ... stay strong Nathan,” says Jennifer O’Brien, clutching a T-shirt belonging to her missing son.

July 3: About 75 people attend a community hall meeting in Parkhill to talk to police about the estate sale. That afternoon, police say they’ve advanced the case in the last 24 hours, but it’s not sure how much progress has been made.

July 4: In the most revealing update yet from police, Staff Sgt. Doug Andrus says a violent struggle occurred inside the Liknes’ home before the three went missing. Police are searching for a green Ford F150 made in the late 1980s or early 1990s that was seen driving around Parkhill several times during the night of the disappearance.

July 5: Dozens of police officers fan out in the area around the Liknes’ home. The search is complete a few hours later. Soon after, a large police presence is seen at an acreage in the rural northeast corner of Airdrie, and in the evening, police confirm that the massive search at the property is related to the investigation. Police find a green truck matching the description of the one seen near the Liknes’ home at the scene and take one person in for questioning.

July 6: Police and RCMP continue their grid search of the Airdrie property, but release the person they’d taken for questioning from custody. The man, Douglas Garland, remains a person of interest. About 40 officers stand shoulder-to-shoulder as they slowly comb the fields around the home. In the afternoon, they tape off the area around a nearby pond and a police boat is seen briefly at the scene. Police remain on scene.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Amber+Alert+Timeline+events/10005882/story.html

5. swedie

swedie Well-Known Member

Lots of good information in this video if it hasn't been posted yet.

-family was surprised to see what appears to be DG's pick up in the video
    AL and DG hadn't spoke in about seven years
    -DG worked for Alvin
    -when business faltered, the working relationship ended, it didn't end on a bad note
    -ALLEN last saw DG at his in-laws last Thanksgiving and noted he seemed a bit of a loner and didn't speak to him that much
    -DG has bail hearing Wednesday

http://globalnews.ca/news/1438148/missing-family-search-of-rural-home-enters-fourth-day/

6. Carol

Carol New Member

Yes I am a bit confused about those timelines. If DG did commit the false ID with intent to use for criminal purpose on Jul 4, why the delay in charges? I guess it's possible he gave a fake name when first questioned and it took them a couple days to piece together his real identity. I would have thought the charge date would align with Sunday Jul 6 when he was released from questioning about the Amber Alert but then subsequently taken into custody for the fake ID charge.

That's not what I was disappointed about, it was about the fact that they should have been able to develop the truck link without going public. Perhaps as you say the family didn't assist them or even think about the possible connections. So my disappointment is not specifically in LE or the family or anyone in particular, just the length of time to make the connection and the need to go public when it may not have been necessary.

You make a good point.

"Multiple" could mean as few as 2. It could be as simple as trip 1: commit the crime, trip 2: to and from Airdrie to get cleanup supplies and remove victims.

I quite agree. That's why I initially found it strange that LE was searching in a grid bordering the property, as if a criminal would respect an unmarked property line for disposing weapon or other materials.

I agree, the truck ownership hasn't been established. But there was a report here that DG was the property owner in 2000.

I agree with a lot of what you say. But if that were true, LE would just make their whole case file open source, and we know that doesn't happen. They don't publish victim clothes and say "Anywhere know what store this is from?" or a wound photo and say "Can anyone help us find a weapon that matches this shape?" Crowdsourcing of crime solving may be in the future, but it's not the current practice.

They were fairly specific and I believe credible when they published the truck photo and said they were seeking the truck.

I considered this theory before I published. It doesn't fit, at least not properly. If they did already know the truck and its whereabouts and they suspected DG might have hostages or victims and wanted to use the truck fact to provoke him to act, they would have merely leaked general info. "We are seeking a green 1990's pickup truck." That would have been ample, there would be no need for highly specific data including photo to be released, in fact doing so becomes a liability if you already have the truck identified, located, and tied to your suspect.

I agree, they need to scour it if for no other reason than they will in the future have to say they were thorough.

7. Carol

Carol New Member

Agree, this is a big mystery. What can be gained by moving 3 bodies? It would seem risky with no benefit.

8. peony27

peony27 New Member

Maybe they thought they could destroy all evidence? No evidence no crime.

9. Lava

Lava Well-Known Member

It is possible AL and DG were in contact without anyone knowing. When my sister was using drugs really heavily she would contact distant family for money and other things, especially when on the outs with closer family. I eventually had to send everyone a warning about her lifestyle and to be careful what they do with her, and if they would contact me if she contacted them. DG may have reached out to AL for some help of some kind and then that went south.

10. PrincessButtercup

PrincessButtercup Member

Brooks is approximately 190 km from Calgary. The highway is mostly 110 km/hr .. I'm not terrific at math but about 1 1/2 hours from Calgary proper .... so you could add about 30 or so minutes from Airdrie.

11. KMouse

KMouse New Member

Part of me thinks that they have nothing on DG. I was so hopeful with the searches in Airdrie but it sure doesn't sound like much now.

12. kittymeow

kittymeow New Member

google maps is a beautiful thing :p

It's about a 2 hour drive between Airdrie and Brooks.

RCMP and MSM confirmed the Brooks sightings were unfounded so I really wouldn't look much into it.

13. Coldpizza

Please continue here.

:tyou:

14. mayelf

mayelf New Member

I really can't see the police putting this much effort into a lead if they don't have -something-. We know they have the truck but I am thinking they may have found ties, rope, tape, or something in that manner further suggesting an abduction of live persons. I keep hoping the kid was dropped off someplace and he pops up. However if they found blood inside the home and someone was injured it would probably show up in the truck rather quickly. If they didn't find anything in the truck I don't think they would be putting this much effort into this lead. It would just not make sense to me.

15. sillybilly

sillybilly WS Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I wonder when Allen and PG got together. Allen and FL owned and operated a modular home business in Evansburg since 1996 and their son LL joined 2012 (but the article doesn't say if Allen and FL were still together in 2012 though).

According to this article, Allen and FL still owned the business in 2014:

http://www.castle.ca/downloads/PR_Jan14_2014-New_Member_Announcement.pdf

So, when did PG come into Allen's life, or is FL another sister of DG's?

16. supernovaNic

supernovaNic New Member

Today, 03:36 PM #926
    supernovaNic

http://globalnews.ca/news/1438148/mi...rs-fourth-day/

This is video of a reporter telling that he spoke with AL (AL's son) and he shares what AL told him.

I transcribed part of it:
    We spoke to Allen Liknes who is the son of the missing Alvin Liknes. He is married to Garland's sister, and so he told us today on the phone that he was surprised the family was to see Garland's ... green pickup or what appeared to be his pickup in the pictures last Friday. He doesn't believe Doulgas Garland and his father, Alvin, have spoken in about seven years. ...

Douglas worked for Alvin but apparently when that business faltered the working relationship ended. It didn't* end on a bad note though apparently. Allen last saw Douglas Garland at Thanksgiving at his in-law's last fall, but he noted, he said Douglas wsas a bit of a loner and he didn't speak to him that much.

*I heard the word "didn't." Please correct me if you guys heard it differently.

17. PrincessButtercup

PrincessButtercup Member

Thank you for all of the hugs :) I hope I didn't give the impression I was trying to put focus on myself. As I've waded through the posts and reports I'm always struck by how easy it is to attempt to understand the behaviour of people in grief situations. The first word that came to mind for me when I saw JO was numb ... not cold. I know that feeling of trying to hold it together for your kids, taking meds possibly to get through it. This is heartbreaking no matter what.

ETA .. when I first saw JO

18. gardenia

gardenia Member

Hi all ... I've been following this bizarre case since the beginning & knew the amazing people on Websleuths would be on top of the intricacies of the case!

Just watched the presser and I thought I heard one of the spokespeople refer to 'the missing' as 'victims' ... that didn't sound right somehow. I'm gonna go & see if I can find it somehow.

19. KMouse

KMouse New Member

I get the massive search. There are three missing persons, one being a child. It's the way police roll in these types of situations. What I don't get is what appears to be the lack of evidence and three people that are still missing.

20. kittymeow

kittymeow New Member

there were lots of strange word slips and contradictions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.