CANADA Canada- Anne Moran, 30, Irish nurse, missing from College St. apt., husband thinks she joined cult, Toronto, approx. 1 January 1970 *New initiative*

dotr

Reaction score
Lengthy article.
By Peter EdwardsStaff Reporter
Sat., July 8, 2023

''An Irish family hasn’t given up hope of discovering the fate of a relative who vanished from Toronto almost 50 years ago — even though their prime hunch was dashed this week by DNA testing.

The family of nursing assistant Anne Moran had been pinning their hopes on the emerging genetic genealogy technology to prove she was the “Nation River Lady” — the woman at the centre of one of this province’s most puzzling unsolved mysteries.

Moran disappeared from her College Street apartment sometime in the early 1970s and hasn’t been seen since, her niece Annie McKay said. Moran’s family had suspected that she might be the Nation River Lady, whose body was discovered in a river near Ottawa in 1975. Although Moran’s family had struggled to come up with an exact timeline of her disappearance, the resemblance to photographs and descriptions of the unidentified woman was strong enough — and there were other coincidences, such as how the body was found with a tea towel with an “Irish Toast” design.''

''Moran, who was born July 22, 1940, shared the College Street apartment with her husband Tom when she went missing. The couple had no children; the family members who are now trying to locate her were children at the time, McKay said.''

''Before she vanished, Moran frequently corresponded with relatives, including her mother, in Ireland, sending them updates on her life and photos, McKay said.

Then it all just stopped.''
Moran was the same height as the Langford, both five-foot-three to five-foot-four; neither woman had children.

Moran’s husband Tom, a pharmacy assistant, died two years ago, at age 84. McKay said her side of the family lost contact with him not long after Moran’s disappearance.

McKay said that Tom Moran, whom she described as a man who “never let his feelings show,” told her family he had hired a private detective to find his wife.

However, McKay said she believes her aunt’s disappearance was not reported to police at the time — meaning Moran was not officially classified as a missing person.

Tom told the family the P.I. had “traced her to the motel near the airport that serves the USA,” McKay said. “Which I found strange since she didn’t take her passport.”

''Before they lost contact with him, Tom also said his wife had become increasingly religious and may have joined a Toronto-area cult, McKay said.

He wasn’t the only one who spoke of Moran showing more interest in religion before her disappearance.

“My father James went to work in Canada about 1966 to 1968; he told my mum Anne had become more spiritual during that time,” McKay said via email.''

''McKay said she, her sister and her uncle have all submitted DNA to Toronto police, in hopes of tracking down her aunt.

Anne Moran immigrated from County Kerry in southern Ireland and spoke with an Irish accent. Her maiden name was O’Sullivan.

Anne and Tom Moran moved to Toronto around 1966.''
1688818883232.png
1688818861397.png
1688818900384.png
Height (estimate) :160 cm – 162 cm (5’3” – 5’4”)
Weight (estimate) :45 kg (99 lbs)
Hair Colour :Blonde – light brown, worn short
Eye Colour :Blue
Race :Caucasian
Aliases :Unknown

Details​

Dental Information :Teeth – in poor condition
Missing teeth – at least one missing tooth
Medical Information :Unknown
Notable Identifiers :Speech – spoke with Irish accent
Eye – one eye appears to be squinting
Build – slim
Complexion – light/fair
Clothing/Jewelry :Unknown
Other Personal Items :Unknown
Additional Information :Anne (nee O’Sullivan) was from County Kerry in Southern Ireland and spoke with an Irish accent. She and her husband emigrated to Canada and settled in Toronto.
The exact date of Anne’s disappearance is not known. However, she went missing in the early to mid 1970s. The date listed above is an estimate only.
At the time of her disappearance, Anne left the home that she shared with her husband in the College Street and Gladstone Avenue area of Toronto. At that time, Anne was working as a nursing assistant.
Prior to going missing, Anne had become increasingly religious.
By phone: 416-808-7411
By direct email: missingpersons@torontopolice.on.ca
Additional Details and Contacts
Case Reference :Toronto Police Service 2022-1803542.HOM – NCMPUR 2023005753
Source Links :Family member

Such a sad story of an Irish lassie. The husband is my first thought, but back in those days, patients were could often be a bit of a problem for nurses, esp psych patients. Or anyone really who misunderstood her comments or care for someone. If she was a looker, men always wanted to date a nurse. I am laughing at this, but it was always commented upon. LOL. If one looks at the religious line of thought, she was probably raised RC. The "moonies" were quite prominent in Toronto in the early to mid 70's. Didn't they get together with the Hari Krishna's, or maybe Unification church?? Does anyone remember them on Yonge Street? She could have simply been walking home late at night.... There is or was a nursing home in that area, and CAMH isn't very far?? Maybe just an abusive husband?

@Nate_Bro suggested that Anne Moran could be Hawaii's (once) living Jane Doe called "Pansie."

02026_Anne-Moran_P_L-222x300.jpg1703460565598.png
Aside from the facial similarities, it should be noted that Pansie (also called Ah) spoke with an accent described as "untraceable." The more time someone spends in an area, the more their own accent fades and they begin to adopt the way of speaking (like slang). I met a lady recently who I assumed was from Canada; she was actually Scottish and has lived in the states since her early 20s (she's almost 70 now).

Great cheek bones. Areas of Ireland have distinct accents, most don't lose their accent when coming to Canada, but the dialect might be off??? Add American/ Hawaiian and other Polynesian dialects and it could be interesting :)

The fact she became more spiritual/religious could just be a red herring.
It may have nothing to do with her disappearance at all.
She could've been taken and killed by anyone.
I don't think her husband is entirely without doubt. He took a while to report her disappearance and hired his own P.I.

The P.I. traced her to an airport.....how? How did he trace her?

Great cheek bones. Areas of Ireland have distinct accents, most don't lose their accent when coming to Canada, but the dialect might be off??? Add American/ Hawaiian and other Polynesian dialects and it could be interesting :)
Maybe her accent was never particularly strong. As I said in my post, now that I know the lady I met is from Scotland I can hear it when she speaks, but initially I assumed she was Canadian or from somewhere in the U.K. It wasn't super strong. But of course an individual's voice also plays a factor.

Such a sad story of an Irish lassie. The husband is my first thought, but back in those days, patients were could often be a bit of a problem for nurses, esp psych patients. Or anyone really who misunderstood her comments or care for someone. If she was a looker, men always wanted to date a nurse. I am laughing at this, but it was always commented upon. LOL. If one looks at the religious line of thought, she was probably raised RC. The "moonies" were quite prominent in Toronto in the early to mid 70's. Didn't they get together with the Hari Krishna's, or maybe Unification church?? Does anyone remember them on Yonge Street? She could have simply been walking home late at night.... There is or was a nursing home in that area, and CAMH isn't very far?? Maybe just an abusive husband?
Bbm. RC? How so?

The fact she became more spiritual/religious could just be a red herring.
It may have nothing to do with her disappearance at all.
She could've been taken and killed by anyone.
I don't think her husband is entirely without doubt. He took a while to report her disappearance and hired his own P.I.

The P.I. traced her to an airport.....how? How did he trace her?
Anne is my Aunt. He supposedly traced her to an airport motel. However when he got there she was gone. She was supposed to have signed in using her own name. Though myself I am not convinced.

Anne is my Aunt. He supposedly traced her to an airport motel. However when he got there she was gone. She was supposed to have signed in using her own name. Though myself I am not convinced.

Welcome Kalada! I agree with what you say. Definitely seems like he might have made that up. I wonder if the PI is even true? PI's are expensive so wonder how affordable that was?

Welcome Kalada! I agree with what you say. Definitely seems like he might have made that up. I wonder if the PI is even true? PI's are expensive so wonder how affordable that was?
I don’t believe for a minute he got a PI. There were other inconsistencies in his story at the time. Which I’ve proved to be lies. I know it doesn’t mean he murdered her but shows he was dishonest. On her last letter home to her mother. It is reported she said she wasn’t well and had to go away for a while. She said she would write soon which she never did that was definitely out of character. Don’t know how true this is but I did wonder if she went into a mental hospital. In those days your husband could have you committed for trivial things also there was a stigma attached to it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DryHeat77
Back