Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poster was kind enough to PM me the text of the article. I really take issue with the statement that the RCMP are the ONLY ones that could have done this, JMO.
FWIW.
Mortified that i had posted that cached link after only reading 3/4 of it- the part i wanted to highlight.
Just for the record, i do not agree with the statements about the RCMP or the PM and in general i post links not because i necessarily agree with them, but because they are hopefully pertinent to a topic, or that i think/hope are interesting.

Exactly. Barry had given up control of Apotex years ago. They were essentially a retired old couple with money. Looking at it logically you would look at who would actually benefit from the Shermans deaths. Obviously the children will benefit, but who else? Apotex continues on, business as usual. All the lawsuits continue. So who gains anything? Nobody, that's who.

Barry still had control of Apotex. He may not have been CEO, but he controlled the voting shares.

FWIW.
Mortified that i had posted that cached link after only reading 3/4 of it- the part i wanted to highlight.
Just for the record, i do not agree with the statements about the RCMP or the PM and in general i post links not because i necessarily agree with them, but because they are hopefully pertinent to a topic, or that i think/hope are interesting.

Of course. I meant I took issue with the article's author's statement about the RCMP. I did not mean to imply that those were your words or that I took issue with your opinion of the article. I just think that author made this really definite and bold point but I don't really see where he proved any of what he claimed. Police use hand restraints? That doesn't mean that police are exclusively the only people in the world with access to hand restraints.

Is anyone following CannTrust in the news...???

FWIW.

That link/theory was posted as I recall a number of threads ago by someone. Seems preposterous imo.

On the M/S theory, if Barry did kill Honey in a fit of rage, and did not want to spend the rest of his life in jail as a convicted murderer, he had two options, not one. The first would have been to commit suicide staged as a double murder as suggested by some posters.
On the other hand Barry could have staged an accidental death scene. Even if he had strangled Honey in a fit of rage, he definitely was smart enough to stage a scene where it would have looked like an accident. He had lots of time. He then could call 911, and with his political influence and savvy convince the TPS that Honey died accidently. Nobody would want to believe that Barry murdered Honey and after a great funeral for Honey, Barry could go on with his life.

Unlikely to be related, but since some have speculated that the killer possibly disguised as LE to gain entry to the Sherman home, with the jewellery in mind, posting this bit here.
Not that HS would fall for such a scheme, but maybe a variant of one, wondering if Honey spoke Polish?
imo, speculation, fwiw, ect.
Peel police warning of officer impersonation scam
"Peel police have joined Toronto police in issuing a public safety alert warning about an ongoing scam involving someone impersonating an officer.

According to Peel police, they have received several reports of someone pretending to a police officer and asking the victim to place valuable property outside their front door."

"Investigators said the woman addressed them in Polish, a language the couple spoke as they are from Poland.

“The woman directed the couple to leave their money and jewelry in a bag outside of their home,” police said. “The woman claimed this would assist the police in capturing violent criminals about to engage in a criminal act.”

Were they able to determine if one died first or both died together from the evidence and the autopsies?

I did an online search and found this old article that the couple’s bodies were found hanging from a railing surrounding the pool. I thought they had been found sitting back to back with a rope tied around their neck.

I guess it's too many cases to keep up with and not enough memory on my part to handle it all.

https://nypost.com/2017/12/18/autopsies-cast-more-mystery-on-deaths-of-billionaire-and-wife/

Were they able to determine if one died first or both died together from the evidence and the autopsies?

I did an online search and found this old article that the couple’s bodies were found hanging from a railing surrounding the pool. I thought they had been found sitting back to back with a rope tied around their neck.

I guess it's too many cases to keep up with and not enough memory on my part to handle it all.

https://nypost.com/2017/12/18/autopsies-cast-more-mystery-on-deaths-of-billionaire-and-wife/
Sorry, unpleasant picture described below, also a link with a summary of the case/timeline. Unintentional bolding by me.
Jan 23 2018
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...rivate-investigators-believe-source-1.4496686
"WARNING: This story contains graphic descriptions that may be disturbing to readers
The private investigators have found evidence that both Barry and Honey Sherman had their necks wrapped with leather belts that were then knotted around a handrail that runs adjacent to the pool, the source told CBC Toronto. A coroner previously ruled that the couple had died from "ligature neck compression," or strangulation."
"Their wrists showed evidence that they had been, at one point, bound together. No rope or other materials that could have been used to tie their wrists were discovered, the source told CBC Toronto."
"Private investigators also believe that Honey struggled with her killer or killers. She had cuts on her lip and nose, and was sitting in a pool of her own blood when she was discovered. However, there was comparatively little blood apparent on her upper-body clothing, suggesting that she had been face-down on the tile, bleeding, for some time before being bound to the handrail in an upright position, the source said."

Their bodies were otherwise limp and their arms unbound when they were discovered, the source said."
Lawyer divulging details of how Sherman bodies were found could impact case: Saunders
"In an exclusive interview with CTV News Toronto, Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders expressed concerns with statements made by the lawyer representing the family of murdered billionaire couple Barry and Honey Sherman last week, which revealed specific details about the homicide investigation.

At an Oct. 26 news conference, lawyer Brian Greenspan said the bodies, discovered in the couple’s North York home on Old Colony Road on Dec. 15, 2017, were found in a “suspicious and staged manner.”

He said the two were “sitting next to each other, with ligatures pulled up around their necks and wrapped around a railing, forcing them into an upright position.” Greenspan added that “Barry Sherman’s legs were outstretched with one crossed over the other in a passive manner, wearing his undisturbed eyeglasses and his jacket pulled slightly behind his back, which would have prevented use of his arms.”

Barry and Honey Sherman: What we know about the case in 2019
March 8 2019
Barry and Honey Sherman: What we know about the case in 2019

On the M/S theory, if Barry did kill Honey in a fit of rage, and did not want to spend the rest of his life in jail as a convicted murderer, he had two options, not one. The first would have been to commit suicide staged as a double murder as suggested by some posters.
On the other hand Barry could have staged an accidental death scene. Even if he had strangled Honey in a fit of rage, he definitely was smart enough to stage a scene where it would have looked like an accident. He had lots of time. He then could call 911, and with his political influence and savvy convince the TPS that Honey died accidently. Nobody would want to believe that Barry murdered Honey and after a great funeral for Honey, Barry could go on with his life.
I get what you are saying and it certainly is true, but I simply do not think that Barry could have made a beaten and strangled wife look accidental. If this was a M/S I honestly think it would have been impulsive and in a fit of rage. I think as soon as she was dead he would have regretted it. He simply wouldn't have wanted to go on and face the obvious scandal that was bearing down on him like a freight train. One of the big mysteries of this case is the jackets that prevented the use of their arms? So bizarre. Except for a person who is strangling himself and doesn't want to be able to pull himself up out of it. Given the setup, once he sits back there is very little he could do to stop it. His crossed legs and his glasses only confirm that there was no fight in this guy as he was dying. He accepted it. To me that sounds nothing like murder does it?

I get what you are saying and it certainly is true, but I simply do not think that Barry could have made a beaten and strangled wife look accidental. If this was a M/S I honestly think it would have been impulsive and in a fit of rage. I think as soon as she was dead he would have regretted it. He simply wouldn't have wanted to go on and face the obvious scandal that was bearing down on him like a freight train. One of the big mysteries of this case is the jackets that prevented the use of their arms? So bizarre. Except for a person who is strangling himself and doesn't want to be able to pull himself up out of it. Given the setup, once he sits back there is very little he could do to stop it. His crossed legs and his glasses only confirm that there was no fight in this guy as he was dying. He accepted it. To me that sounds nothing like murder does it?

If Barry killed her in a fit or rage he could have just set it up as finding her dead when he got home. Call police and claim Home invasion or robbery must have occurred. I suspect he could have dealt with any guilt, and continued to live his life. Imo this was a double murder. And imo he was strangled beforehand and then suspended with the belt. The killers posed him and put his glasses on and crossed his legs. It sure sounds like double murder to me.

. Given the setup, once he sits back there is very little he could do to stop it. His crossed legs and his glasses only confirm that there was no fight in this guy as he was dying. He accepted it. To me that sounds nothing like murder does it?

Except that, if I recall correctly, neither was strangled by the belts but by ligatures of some kind that were never found (as far as we know.)

The thing is... there would be involuntary convulsions, nervous system/spinal reflexes. There is no way he could just will his body to sit there ever so peacefully with legs crossed in front of him and eye-glasses sitting properly on his face. If it is true that he was found this way, it speaks volumes in itself.

The thing is... there would be involuntary convulsions, nervous system/spinal reflexes. There is no way he could just will his body to sit there ever so peacefully with legs crossed in front of him and eye-glasses sitting properly on his face. If it is true that he was found this way, it speaks volumes in itself.
Are you just saying that because of something you've seen on TV or are you speaking factually? From what I have read, asphyxiation, if done properly, is very quick and peaceful. The reason being is that the arteries are constricted and the lack of blood flow causes loss of consciousness long before you start gasping for breath.

Again, not saying that M/S is what happened, but the crime scene as we know it does not rule it out as a possibility.

Last edited:
Except that, if I recall correctly, neither was strangled by the belts but by ligatures of some kind that were never found (as far as we know.)

That is not true. Greenspan suggested that at some point I believe, but it has never been confirmed or proven. That said, it may be half true. We know for a fact that Honey didn't die hanging from that railing, and since strangulation was the COD, it is possible that something other than a belt was used.

If Barry killed her in a fit or rage he could have just set it up as finding her dead when he got home. Call police and claim Home invasion or robbery must have occurred. I suspect he could have dealt with any guilt, and continued to live his life. Imo this was a double murder. And imo he was strangled beforehand and then suspended with the belt. The killers posed him and put his glasses on and crossed his legs. It sure sounds like double murder to me.
You can believe what you wish. However the laws of probability would indicate that what you are suggesting is probably the least likely scenario, by a country mile. But I get it, people love a good mystery and their imaginations run rampant.

That is not true. Greenspan suggested that at some point I believe, but it has never been confirmed or proven. That said, it may be half true. We know for a fact that Honey didn't die hanging from that railing, and since strangulation was the COD, it is possible that something other than a belt was used.
It’s been a year since Barry and Honey Sherman were killed. There are so many questions. So few answers

This article states that the COD for both from TPS - not Greenspan - was "ligature neck compression." That is not hanging from a belt IMO. Pretty difficult to do it yourself and then stage a scene.

VIDEO.rbbm. "Truth stranger than fiction"
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
April 5th, 2019
In December 2017, a Canadian pharmaceuticals executive and his wife were strangled in their home. No one knows who did it or why, but everyone has a theory. (Video by Leila Hussain, Angus Bennett & Robin Fall. Graphics by Christian Capestany) (Corrects date of the murders and clarifies details about discovery of bodies) (Source: Bloomberg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomTuTu