Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotr

Reaction score
Pharma giant and philanthropists Barry and Honey Sherman found dead
Pharmaceutical giant Barry Sherman and his wife Honey Sherman were found dead in a home in Toronto’s York Mills neighbourhood on Friday afternoon, sources confirm.

Emergency crews responded to a 9-1-1 medical call at a house located at 50 Old Colony Road, which is in the area of Bayview Avenue and Highway 401.
Firefighters, officers and paramedics arrived on scene just before 12 p.m. and located two bodies inside.
Barry Sherman was the chairman of generic drug company Apotex Inc. He and his wife were well known Toronto philanthropists.

Canadian Business magazine recently listed Barry Sherman as the 15th richest person in Canada, with a net worth of $4.77 billion.

Speaking to reporters in front of the home, Const. David Hopkinson said the victims’ deaths are being treated as suspicious at this time.

“The circumstances of their deaths appear suspicious and we are treating it that way,” he said. “Our investigators are inside (the home) investigating and taking apart the scene.”

Verified Insider

Kerry Winter

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8
Thread #9

Thread #10
Thread #11 - Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #11
Thread #12
Thread #13

Last edited by a moderator:
ADMIN NOTE:

This post lands at random.

Unless a member is a Verified Insider, they must provide MSM links to substantiate information stated as fact, otherwise make it very clear that it is your opinion (MOO, JMO, etc) or your post may be removed.

IF your information is coming from Kevin Donovan's book, please make that very clear, as in "KD states ...".

Also please do NOT post inside information that could be LE holdback related to the actual crime scene.

ADMIN NOTE:

I have not had time to clean up this thread as my computer and WS software have not been cooperating for the past few days.

The thread is being reopened for discussion with the following warnings:

Absolutely do NOT directly accuse a person of this crime or insinuate their involvement. No POI/suspect has been officially named by LE in this case.

If you state information as fact, you MUST provide a link to MSM to substantiate. If what you state is your opinion, make that very clear with use of acronyms (JMO, MOO, etc). If what you state is from KD's book, make that very clear.

Please post responsibly and respectfully. Members found to be violating the above or The Rules in general may experience a temporary or permanent loss of posting privileges. Post accordingly.

Thanks.

Please stick to discussing this case. Off topic posts discussing conspiracy theories have been removed.

According to the court calendar it seems no SCC hearings have been rescheduled.
Supreme Court of Canada - Scheduled Hearings
A few have been heard this month (maybe they were scheduled prior to the restrictions?)

September’s schedule has a few tentative dates.https://www.scc-csc.ca/case-dossier/info/hear-aud-eng.aspx?
ya=2020&mo=9&submit=Search

None scheduled for July or August.

ETA: is there a way to find out if a case has been rescheduled?

Further edit: The last news release was June 3rd. Cases re-scheduled to June were supposed to be held by video conference. Supreme Court of Canada - Notice about COVID-19

Last edited:
A few have been heard this month (maybe they were scheduled prior to the restrictions?)

September’s schedule has a few tentative dates.https://www.scc-csc.ca/case-dossier/info/hear-aud-eng.aspx?
ya=2020&mo=9&submit=Search

None scheduled for July or August.

ETA: is there a way to find out if a case has been rescheduled?

You’re right, the govt appeals only indicate a tentative date. IIRC SSC hearings are not ordinarily held over the summer.

It also appears Ontario COVID-19 restrictions were the reason June hearings were held via Zoom. I’d guess the SCC is awaiting future COVID-19 decisions to be made prior to September, when or if normal scheduling can proceed.

SCC COVID-19 notices -
Supreme Court of Canada - Notice about COVID-19

Hypothetical question..
Let's say the perp turned out to be someone either or both of the S's cared about, would they want that person to be identified and punished?
That's pretty deep, dotr! Especially since you're asking in the present tense (maybe a slip, but I notice you didn't ask 'what would they have wanted'). I have a vision of an old married couple arguing about this in the afterlife...one saying 'I can't believe they'd do that to us, after everything we did for them' and the other saying 'oh forget it, they did us a favor'.

Regarding the Sherman deaths, what do we know of the crime scene which immediately indicated to TPS an obvious homicide took place?

However as homicide detectives were involved from the onset considering the deaths were viewed as suspicious, I have no idea which guidelines you believe weren’t followed.

Dec 17, 2017
“The statement said homicide detectives have taken the lead on investigating the deaths, which have been classified as “suspicious.” Homicide detectives have been involved in the investigation since Friday.”
Police release cause of death of Barry and Honey Sherman

It would be reassuring to think that TPS kept the M/S theory going for six weeks because they knew it wasn't a M/S and thought that would trick the killer into feeling a false sense of security. With all due respect, imo one would have to be naive or have a blind faith in police to believe that.

Unfortunately, that theory doesn't jive with their actual investigation in so many areas. Can we really accept the bizarre protocol that all of their court warrants naming Honey as the only murder victim was a ruse to trick the real killer's sense of security? Do courts go along with issuing false warrants to police?

Another notable example of their M/S determination was their lack of quickly securing and actually viewing surveillance tapes from neighbours and from Apotex. Videos of people and cars near a crime scene are invaluable in every investigation. This wasn't done by TPS, and there are people who have verified this.

There were multiple investigative errors at the crime scene that the private investigators noted. Do we outright discount their findings as being purely subjective with no value? I don't think we can.
I have progressed from TPS initial screw up, and have some faith that they have made progress since then. jmo

Last edited:
With all due respect, imo one would have to be naive or have a blind faith in police to believe that.

Why is this? A few posts ago I linked another case where LE did exactly that - while pursing a murder investigation everyone believed a m/s occurred, indeed it was LE who began the rumour and used to their advantage.

There is currently another case awaiting trial, the murder of Fabio Sementilli, from Ontario who relocated to Los Angeles. His wife and her boyfriend have been charged with his murder and it’s now alleged the faked a video of an attack by who appears to be the LA Knock- Knock street gang, the murder a result of armed robbery. Even though LE had reason to believe early on FS’s murder was staged and the video was faked, they allowed the public to believe the ruse while the investigation against the wife and boyfriend took place.

There are often good reasons LE do not disclose everything they know at the onset of a murder investigation, particularly when staging a murder scene is involved.

I’m fine with the fact you disagree but I’d like to assure you I’m neither naive nor do I have blind faith in police. It’s just that nothing mentioned is convincing proof it was a botched investigation early on, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back in the early months I attempted to convince myself and others that the murder-suicide angle had merit .... and besides , the police were acting as though it was.

Until Ann Brocklehurst wisely pointed out that police would not have remained on the scene for weeks and weeks and weeks if they believed it was M/S

I miss Ann

I found this thread rather late and I didn't know anything about the Shermans. Perhaps most of you have already seen the following article from the BBC. Despite Barry Sherman's prolific philanthropy it seems that there were aspects of his personality and life that were less than commendable.

Barry And Honey Sherman: The Mystery Of The Strangled Billionaires

"Apotex has been involved in more than a thousand court cases in Canada, using the legal system to aggressively challenge drug patents.

"It definitely makes it the most litigious pharma company in Canada and probably the most litigious company period," says University of Ottawa law professor Amir Attaran.

"It's fair to observe the way he did business he would have had many enemies," he says.

Canadians pay some of the highest prices in the world for generic drugs, and Attaran argues Sherman's business practices contributed to that.

"He was unethical in business. His drugs were overpriced and gouged Canadians," he said on Twitter.

Apotex did not respond to a request for comment."

Hypothetical question..
Let's say the perp turned out to be someone either or both of the S's cared about, would they want that person to be identified and punished?

Well my first thought is; are Barry and Honey in a very warm place looking up, or are they in a lovely place looking down on earth? Their location would likely affect their outlooks, don't you think.

"Apotex has been involved in more than a thousand court cases in Canada, using the legal system to aggressively challenge drug patents.

"It definitely makes it the most litigious pharma company in Canada and probably the most litigious company period," says University of Ottawa law professor Amir Attaran.

"It's fair to observe the way he did business he would have had many enemies," he says.

Canadians pay some of the highest prices in the world for generic drugs, and Attaran argues Sherman's business practices contributed to that.

"He was unethical in business. His drugs were overpriced and gouged Canadians," he said on Twitter.

Apotex did not respond to a request for comment."
I have looked briefly at this person's twitter account and my impression is he believes everyone (else) is competely incompetent. He, on the other hand, being a professor, doesn't actually do anything but express opinions, which he does very well.

I have looked briefly at this person's twitter account and my impression is he believes everyone (else) is competely incompetent. He, on the other hand, being a professor, doesn't actually do anything but express opinions, which he does very well.
Wonder if BS knew the professor?
Why pharmaceuticals could be the prescription for trade warfare that truly hurts America - Macleans.ca
By Amir Attaran June 12, 2018
''Pharmaceutical patents are ultra-valuable assets. Whoever controls a drug’s patent has the exclusive right to make and export that drug. With typical drug prices growing an average of 12 per cent annually, and with certain specialty drugs priced over $500,000, controlling the right pharmaceutical patents is like having several gold mines.''

''But what makes pharmaceutical patents ripe for retaliation is the vulnerability of America’s pharmaceutical industry. Six of the world’s top ten pharmaceutical companies are American. No industry throws more lobbying dollars around Washington—more than the banking, defence, and automobile industries combined. Any trade retaliation aimed at pharmaceuticals certainly will be felt on Wall Street and heard in the White House.

Canada has already expropriated pharmaceutical patents in the past: The federal government did so hundreds of times in the 1970s and 1980s, but stopped because of the 1988 Canada-U.S. Free Trade Agreement, which later inspired NAFTA. Now that the White House wants to back out of our trading relations and NAFTA too, it is fair to revisit that decision.

Thanks to an obscure twist of world trade law, doing so is perfectly legal, too. In the years since NAFTA, developments in international law have made expropriation of pharmaceutical patents easier and less risky than ever. Between 1998 and 2005, at the height of the HIV/AIDS crisis, the World Trade Organization cobbled together special rules making it lawful to “compulsory license”—or, essentially, expropriate—pharmaceutical patents. The rules allow Canada’s government to authorize Canadian companies to copy patented drugs controlled by U.S. companies''

Just reflecting on the last update from TPS on the case. It has been six months since the new head of TPS homicide, Hank Idsinger held a news conference about the Sherman murders.

His comments: (Dec. 16/2019)
--The private investigation is completed, and all tips should be re-submitted to TPS, as well as new tips
--the sheer volume of information is overwhelming
--It was definitely a targeted murder.
--TPS has a great relationship with the Sherman family
--Rumours have hurt the Sherman family
--"I won't go down that road, sorry" when asked if it was a hired hit.
--"As you know, no investigation is perfect. I'll never make that claim". (in response to a reporter's question I can't hear).

Per media on the same date, he also stated "Solving this case has always been a top priority for Toronto police", and that the biggest challenge in solving this case is "The sheer volume of tips". I'm not sure how to take that statement, eg if tips are that important, what does that say about their evidence, or lack thereof after a two year investigation?

This presser happened about six weeks after KD's book was published. HI's comments about rumours hurting the family must have been a direct reference to KD's book. Was he sincerely trying to steer public rumour away from JS, or was it an effort to maintain good relations with the family? I feel very sorry for JS if he wasn't involved, as I'm sure KD will. jmo

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2019/12/16/sherman-double-homicide-investigation-upda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg