Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

E
mpire was a very successful company with a great future. Louis Winter was one of the pioneers of the generic drug industry and Empire Group of Companies was number one in the generic field grossing about $1,000,000 in revenues at the time of his death in 1965. No wonder BS wanted it so bad.

http://www.jewoftheweek.net/2014/05/16/jews-of-the-week-louis-lloyd-winter-and-bernard-sherman/

Here is a different view.

FoodReal EstateStyleCityCulture12:36
Subscribe

Bitter Pill
Barry Sherman, ​Canada​’s generic drug king, was recently found dead ​in his home ​along with his wife​,​ Honey. ​This profile, from Toronto Life’s archives, ​chronicles how he built his multibillion-dollar fortune
BY GERALDINE SHERMAN | PHOTOGRAPHY BY DERMOT CLEARY

This article was first published in the July 2008 issue of Toronto Life, when Barry Sherman was embroiled in a lawsuit brought by his cousins, who claimed they were owed a piece of his pharmaceutical company. That suit was dismissed in late September.

(Snipped)

When Sherman founded the company in 1974, generic drugs were generally dismissed as flawed imitations of the real thing. Since then, Apotex has become Canada’s largest drug manufacturer, filling 75 million prescriptions a year. Most of the company’s 300 products are versions of such widely used drugs as the antidepressant Paxil, the antihistamine Claritin and the antibiotic Tetracyn. Apotex tests and develops its products with a staff of 2,100 scientists,..... (snipped)

Barry was made his uncle’s legal heir when it seemed that Lou and his wife, Beverley, couldn’t have children. Then, in 1958, Lou and Beverley adopted a baby boy, Tim, and, as sometimes happens, Beverley became pregnant. She gave birth to Jeffrey in 1960, Kerry in 1961 and Dana in 1962. Shortly after the last birth, Beverley was diagnosed with leukemia, and the couple escaped to Bermuda for a last vacation. Barry, still an undergrad, took charge of the plant. He did an admirable job.

Beverley withstood her disease for a few years, but in November 1965, when Barry received a middle-of-the-night phone call at MIT, he expected to hear she’d finally succumbed. Instead, he was told his uncle had died suddenly from a probable aneurism. Barry attended Lou’s funeral, then visited Beverley in the hospital, where they talked about what might happen to Empire and the children’s future interests. He said that if she and the executors wished, he would take over the business and protect its value for the benefit of the children. In return, they would have to grant him the right to purchase the company if it came up for sale. Beverley discussed the idea but made no decision. Seventeen days later, she was dead.

Three days after her death, Barry made the same proposal to trustees of the Winter estate. They said no, that they would continue to run the business. And so the children’s legacy—Empire Labs and a trust fund—remained in the hands of two lawyers, an accountant and Royal Trust.

Barry returned to school and completed his PhD. His dissertation led to his first patent, a system to control satellites in orbit. He was a young man with great prospects when he abandoned astronautical engineering to seek an opportunity in a scientific business, the one he knew best, and returned to Toronto early in 1967. He looked into Empire’s performance—either out of concern for Lou’s sons or a personal desire to buy the company on the cheap—and reported to the trustees that sales had declined from more than $1 million a year in 1965 to about $800,000. He suggested that Lou’s children might some day hold Royal Trust liable for negligence if it didn’t keep Empire from insolvency.

Within a week, the trustees had put the company up for sale. Sherman and Joel Ulster, a high school friend, bought it for approximately $350,000, beating out a Montreal firm. Sherman’s mother, Sara, guaranteed a loan of $100,000 and Ulster put up $150,000 borrowed from his father, who also arranged for an operating line of credit. Two options were added to protect the Orphan Children—the phrase that the surviving sons, now in their late 40s, still use to describe themselves. The first states that all of Lou Winter’s sons would be given the opportunity to become “responsible full-time employees” once they turned 21 or completed their formal education. Second, any employed child who worked two years with the company would “have the right to purchase five per cent of the issued shares of the company or companies owning the purchased business.” However, the option could be exercised only if Sherman, Ulster or Ulster’s father kept control of the business.

Those were promising years for generic drug companies. Empire’s annual sales, now including the generic psycho*pharmaceuticals Librium and Stelazine, reached almost $2 million. Then, in 1972, ICN Pharmaceuticals expressed an interest in buying Empire and merging it with their Canadian operations. Sherman and Ulster, ambivalent at first, decided to let ICN evaluate their company. When the offer came in at just under $2 million, they took it, netting a few hundred thousand each. ICN made it a condition of sale that none of the principal shareholders in Empire could go back into the same business for five years. Fortunately for Barry, his shares were held by Bernard C. Sherman Limited. ICN must not have noticed the loophole. When Sherman launched Apotex the following year, ICN didn’t exercise its non-compete clause.

I thought it was his construcution company.

BS had set him up with a construction/renovation company. Quoting from that article:

"For whatever reasons, Barry bankrolled three of the Winter children in their ventures. Dana started a jewellery business; Jeff moved from a travel company into custom CDs; Kerry launched a construction company. "

I believe things fell apart when the family started the lawsuit & BS cut all funds to the family.

“Big Pharma doesn’t take out hits on people, at least not in North America,” Robinson said. “They’ll plant a kilo of cocaine in the trunk of your car or embed kiddie *advertiser censored* on your computer but they won’t murder you.”

"Russian and Chinese organized crime syndicates, on the other hand, play by different rules. Robinson said some Russian hitmen “fly in on Monday, do the job, then they get on a plane and disappear on Tuesday morning.”

"Another possibility that the writer entertains is that it was Honey Sherman who was the real target."

“She was well-known as a pain in the *advertiser censored*, maybe somebody had something against Honey,” Robinson said."

SHERMAN MURDERS: Did organized crime kill billionaire?

Wondering in what ways HS was known to be "a pain", was she very particular about renovations, design, real estate, neighbours ect.or other things ?
Did she have good relations with the surrogates and others she employed?
imo, speculation.

In Ontario, any monies left for minors is held in trust by the Official Guardian. Adoptive parents would NOT have access to monies left for minors. When you adopt children, you are NOT entitled to use their money, when they have an inheritance. The children get the money as adults.

I believe that the bit about theft by the Barkins came either from KW or someone on WS posited it without knowing how minors are protected in Ontario.

Please link an article in MSM that states they stole from the Winter boys? I must have missed it.

In this case, they did have access to the children’s money as previously posted and linked. Also, this was several years ago, and the laws regarding minors have changed considerably. Not sure what thread number but was previously discussed.

Wondering in what ways HS was known to be "a pain", was she very particular about renovations, design, real estate, neighbours ect.or other things ?
Did she have good relations with the surrogates and others she employed?
imo, speculation.

I'm wondering too. That kinda caught me off-guard when I read it.

They want to be seen as 'victims', blaming the adoptive parents, BS, etc etc. IMO

The family who raised them after their parents died were a very wealthy, well known Jewish family. IMO

They had children of their own, Im sure the kids had an okay childhood. They said the mother was 'cold', what does that mean?? Perhaps she was dealing with nasty teenagers and had to 'tell them off' etc. Which of us was not told off as a child, teenager? The mother was a school teacher and the father was a very wealthy physician. Without knowing them, if they were willing to take in three brothers, they probably have good hearts and tried their best. Look how the Winter boys turned out.....speaks volumes. IMO

Just recalled their adopted family name, Dr. and Mrs. Martin Barkin. Google Dr. Barkin to get an idea of their lifestyle.
(respectfully snipped and bolded by me)

JDG, Is Mrs. Barkin's name Carol?
I just Googled his name, and I'm not sure if this is the same Dr. Martin Barkin:

NorthWest Healthcare Properties REIT Mourns the Passing of Lead Independent Trustee Dr. Martin Barkin
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...ndent-trustee-dr-martin-barkin-670595103.html

Dr Martin Moishe Barkin Sunday January 21 2018
https://necrocanada.com/obituaries-2018/dr-martin-moishe-barkin-sunday-january-21-2018/

:( (there's mention of Tim, Jeffrey but no Kerry, so name could just be coincidence? Shiva at Old Forest Hill Road)

So in the CBC article KW says ""Very easy for me to have left work at any time because I'm not on the clock.... I could easily have driven over to [the Sherman home] and did the deed." Quote
So this sounds like he thinks BS and HS were murdered on the Thursday? But if they were killed on the Wednesday night wouldn't he be trying to be making an alibi for Wednesday night as the killer/s would know when the murders were committed IMO
KW sounds like he has no real alibi for after his addiction anonymous meeting. I wonder what time the meeting was over.
We haven't heard any time of death for the Sherman's.

This article https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/crim...herman/ar-BBIAgOQ?li=AAggNb9&ocid=mailsignout

I found this article which gives some details about the complexity of the whole relationship. It does not add much clarity to the relationship with the adoptive parents.

It does say "They found Barkin difficult and their adoptive mother cold. By age 15, Kerry had left home and moved into a rooming house. "

https://torontolife.com/from-the-archives/barry-sherman-bitter-pill-from-the-archives/

I find this very sad. They did not have a warm loving home life by any means.

“Big Pharma doesn’t take out hits on people, at least not in North America,” Robinson said. “They’ll plant a kilo of cocaine in the trunk of your car or embed kiddie *advertiser censored* on your computer but they won’t murder you.”

"Russian and Chinese organized crime syndicates, on the other hand, play by different rules. Robinson said some Russian hitmen “fly in on Monday, do the job, then they get on a plane and disappear on Tuesday morning.”

"Another possibility that the writer entertains is that it was Honey Sherman who was the real target."

“She was well-known as a pain in the *advertiser censored*, maybe somebody had something against Honey,” Robinson said."

SHERMAN MURDERS: Did organized crime kill billionaire?

Why was she a pain the *advertiser censored*?

So in the CBC article KW says ""Very easy for me to have left work at any time because I'm not on the clock.... I could easily have driven over to [the Sherman home] and did the deed." Quote
So this sounds like he thinks BS and HS were murdered on the Thursday? But if they were killed on the Wednesday night wouldn't he be trying to be making an alibi for Wednesday night as the killer/s would know when the murders were committed IMO
KW sounds like he has no real alibi for after his addiction anonymous meeting. I wonder what time the meeting was over.
We haven't heard any time of death for the Sherman's.

This article https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/crim...herman/ar-BBIAgOQ?li=AAggNb9&ocid=mailsignout

Meeting times here https://ca-on.org/

BS had set him up with a construction/renovation company. Quoting from that article:

"For whatever reasons, Barry bankrolled three of the Winter children in their ventures. Dana started a jewellery business; Jeff moved from a travel company into custom CDs; Kerry launched a construction company. "

I believe things fell apart when the family started the lawsuit & BS cut all funds to the family.

BS didn't just cut all funds when the cousins sued him he took everything back and then some.

From https://torontolife.com/from-the-archives/barry-sherman-bitter-pill-from-the-archives/

"In January 2007, Kerry, Tim and Julia nevertheless filed a claim against Sherman and his former partners for $1 billion. Sherman, acting with the same lethal cool he brings to his fights over patents, turned down an offer to settle. He then sued Kerry for $8 million in outstanding loans. In Vancouver, Sherman took Julia to court to have the terms of his mortgage on her house clarified so he could collect his money immediately rather than when the house was sold.

In August 2007, the court heard the suit against Kerry. His lawyer, Malcolm Kronby, argued that Sherman was acting vindictively. The judge still ruled in Sherman’s favour and Kerry had to surrender two business properties, a cottage and his home on Bellwoods Avenue. Kerry agreed to stay on as a tenant, paying $2,500 a month. Even this sum could be hard to come by. His construction company was shrinking while he continued to obsess over justice and riches."

KW was a drug addict at one time and that is an expensive habit. Does anyone know if KW was dealing? Many people who do coke end up dealing to support thier habbit. That type of money could support a complicated(I'm going to say it was complicated because it was made to look like a suicide or Murder /Suicide) hired hit without a money trail .
You also do get to know quite a few very nasty people depending on the level of your habit. Coke is a mob-run business so it would not have been that hard to find someone to commit this crime. . .All IMO

I also found it interesting that KW's ex-wife is a lawyer

BS didn't just cut all funds when the cousins sued him he took everything back and then some.

From https://torontolife.com/from-the-archives/barry-sherman-bitter-pill-from-the-archives/

"In January 2007, Kerry, Tim and Julia nevertheless filed a claim against Sherman and his former partners for $1 billion. Sherman, acting with the same lethal cool he brings to his fights over patents, turned down an offer to settle. He then sued Kerry for $8 million in outstanding loans. In Vancouver, Sherman took Julia to court to have the terms of his mortgage on her house clarified so he could collect his money immediately rather than when the house was sold.

In August 2007, the court heard the suit against Kerry. His lawyer, Malcolm Kronby, argued that Sherman was acting vindictively. The judge still ruled in Sherman’s favour and Kerry had to surrender two business properties, a cottage and his home on Bellwoods Avenue. Kerry agreed to stay on as a tenant, paying $2,500 a month. Even this sum could be hard to come by. His construction company was shrinking while he continued to obsess over justice and riches."

KS was a drug addict at one time and that is an expensive habit. Does anyone know if KS was dealing? Many people who do coke end up dealing to support thier habbit. That type of money could support a complicated(I'm going to say it was complicated because it was made to look like a suicide or Murder /Suicide) hired hit without a money trail .
You also do get to know quite a few very nasty people depending on the level of your habit. Coke is a mob-run business so it would not have been that hard to find someone to commit this crime. . .All IMO

I also found it interesting that KS's ex-wife is a lawyer

So much for Barry helping them.

I found this article which gives some details about the complexity of the whole relationship. It does not add much clarity to the relationship with the adoptive parents.

It does say "They found Barkin difficult and their adoptive mother cold. By age 15, Kerry had left home and moved into a rooming house. "

https://torontolife.com/from-the-archives/barry-sherman-bitter-pill-from-the-archives/

From the article:
[Kerry Winter would] call me with various rants: “For me it isn’t about shekels, it’s about revenge!”

So he didn't want money from the suit, he wanted revenge. Hmmm.

(respectfully snipped and bolded by me)

JDG, Is Mrs. Barkin's name Carol?
I just Googled his name, and I'm not sure if this is the same Dr. Martin Barkin:

NorthWest Healthcare Properties REIT Mourns the Passing of Lead Independent Trustee Dr. Martin Barkin
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...ndent-trustee-dr-martin-barkin-670595103.html

Dr Martin Moishe Barkin Sunday January 21 2018
https://necrocanada.com/obituaries-2018/dr-martin-moishe-barkin-sunday-january-21-2018/

:( (there's mention of Tim, Jeffrey but no Kerry, so name could just be coincidence? Shiva at Old Forest Hill Road)

AFAIK, yes this is Dr. Barkin and his wife who adopted the four brothers. IMO

Tim was never involved in the lawsuits and is an accomplished chef. IMO

Jeffrey took the Barkin surname, not sure what his occupation is presently. IMO

Dana is dead from a drug overdose. IMO

And we all know who KW is at present. IMO

Obviously, life with the Barkins was fine for two of the four brothers. IMO

Kerry was 12 (or so) when adopted and gone by 15 according to that article. Arrested for drug 'issues'. IMO

How anyone can judge the Barkins as the cause of these young boys hardships, I really do not know. IMO

Any couple who would step up and raise four brothers, all entering their teens, must have a big heart as far as I am concerned. I would never presume to judge them as poor parents, not by any stretch. IMO

BS cut off the money and took back the properties when he was accused by the Winter brothers of killing their father. BS was at MIT when he got the call about his uncles death. Lou Winter died from an aneurysm. IMO

Would you expect BS to continue funding them while they called him a killer? Really? Wow. IMO

He helped them plenty but it was not enough.

I would feel the same way if I gave someone millions and tried to help them by paying for treatment and they kicked me in the teeth for it.

What did they do with their millions? We are to believe billions would change their lives?

New to all this WS stuff... Just wondering... Was BS looking at moving into the Legalized Pot Biz? Seems to me this would be the ultimate turf war given the recent political circumstances... Big Pharma vs. Organized Crime??? I think KW is an attention seeker. He is upset that TPS has ignored him (Hopefully based on facts they verified!). He is looking to cash in any way he can. $ for sensational stories. Sad really and I hope he finds peace... I am trying to get my head around if this was a big pharma thing, organized crime, or may be even both... The one thing that strikes me is, why are TPS ignoring KW? If they excluded him, they may have details on him that exclude him. They may be on to something or someone else... I really hope so!!!! Nothing would supersize me these days... Glad I am not a billionaire! Never thought I would say that!

In this case, they did have access to the children’s money as previously posted and linked. Also, this was several years ago, and the laws regarding minors have changed considerably. Not sure what thread number but was previously discussed.

Tarika, it was discussed, yes but there was never a link. IMO

The only link was about the Winter boys 'blowing through it', referring to their inheritance. IMO
Even that link, I believe, referred to the two who were druggies. IMO

The Official Guardian has not changed the rules re: minors and money. It is held for them until they reach adulthood. IMO

The Barkins never had access to any money from an inheritance for the Winters boys. Just not true/possible.

The cousins are obviously deeply unhappy people - losing their parents at such as young age, being raised in an unhappy adoptive home, becoming drug addicts - but how is any of that BS' fault? I just don't understand their lawsuit against BS. What could he possibly have done differently to make sure they grew up to be happy, well-adjusted adults? And how could getting the $1 billion they were suing him for have made a difference to their lives?

The cousins are obviously deeply unhappy people - losing their parents at such as young age, being raised in an unhappy adoptive home, becoming drug addicts - but how is any of that BS' fault? I just don't understand their lawsuit against BS. What could he possibly have done differently to make sure they grew up to be happy, well-adjusted adults? And how could getting the $1 billion they were suing him for have made a difference to their lives?

Totally agree.

Two of them are mentioned in Dr. Barkins' recent obituary, as his sons. Tim and Jeffrey.

Dana is dead from a drug overdose and Kerry Winter is on the news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member