CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered at Home, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #23

dotr

Reaction score
Pharma giant and philanthropists Barry and Honey Sherman found dead
Pharmaceutical giant Barry Sherman and his wife Honey Sherman were found dead in a home in Toronto’s York Mills neighbourhood on Friday afternoon, sources confirm.

Emergency crews responded to a 9-1-1 medical call at a house located at 50 Old Colony Road, which is in the area of Bayview Avenue and Highway 401.
Firefighters, officers and paramedics arrived on scene just before 12 p.m. and located two bodies inside.
Barry Sherman was the chairman of generic drug company Apotex Inc. He and his wife were well known Toronto philanthropists.

Canadian Business magazine recently listed Barry Sherman as the 15th richest person in Canada, with a net worth of $4.77 billion.

Speaking to reporters in front of the home, Const. David Hopkinson said the victims’ deaths are being treated as suspicious at this time.

“The circumstances of their deaths appear suspicious and we are treating it that way,” he said. “Our investigators are inside (the home) investigating and taking apart the scene.”

Verified Insider
Kerry Winter - Verified family member

MEDIA, MAPS & TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9
Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread#15 Thread #16 Thread #17
Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21Thread #22

Last edited by a moderator:
ADMIN NOTE:

This post lands at random.

Unless a member is a Verified Insider, they must provide MSM links to substantiate information stated as fact, otherwise make it very clear that it is your opinion (MOO, JMO, etc) or your post may be removed.

IF your information is coming from Kevin Donovan's book, please make that very clear, as in "KD states ...".

Also please do NOT post inside information that could be LE holdback related to the actual crime scene.

''Aug 3, 2023
It's been five years since the brutal killings of pharmaceutical industry billionaire Barry Sherman and his wife Honey in their Toronto home. The case remains unsolved, leaving numerous unanswered questions. But the police say calling it a cold case would be a mistake.''
Nov 17, 2023
'Toronto police homicide detectives probing the Barry and Honey Sherman murders have executed a new search warrant in the case.
The warrant, served at undisclosed premises on Dec. 21, 2022, unearthed 14,801 electronic files police had not seen. Information detailing the contents of those files remains sealed in a Toronto courthouse.
The significance of this search warrant — the first in several years — is unclear. In the warrant papers, police say they are seeking “documents and data that would further implicate or exonerate current persons of interest in this investigation and determine if any persons had, or did not have, a motive to kill Bernard and Honey Sherman.”

''In what may be another move forward in the case, police have also recently obtained information — they won’t say what it is — from outside the country via three requests under a treaty that allows countries to legally share information in a criminal investigation.''

Attachments

• 1701644875465.png
    1701644875465.png
    355.1 KB · Views: 13
On the prior thread, @RHR wrote: “From what i was told, BS and HS belonged to Oakdale country club. The original owner of the All City Storage on Cherry St also was a member. He sold the the building to JS and AP to become a Green Storage. Somehow it came out that he sold the building to them for 30 million not 50 million. BS had someone look into the other purchases and found that most cost less than the money they asked for.
I thought Kevin D wrote about it a while ago.”

Anyone read this before? This is something I suspected (borrowed more than they needed) but I did not recall hearing before. Was this in a KD article? This seems like a big problem— especially if they were meant to refinance. Like a really big problem. Was Barry calling their bluff and making them take ownership of their mess (fraud?) — while planning to give lots to Honey, MS, the house and, longer-term, charity?? MOO

On the prior thread, @RHR wrote: “From what i was told, BS and HS belonged to Oakdale country club. The original owner of the All City Storage on Cherry St also was a member. He sold the the building to JS and AP to become a Green Storage. Somehow it came out that he sold the building to them for 30 million not 50 million. BS had someone look into the other purchases and found that most cost less than the money they asked for.

Anyone read this before? This is something I suspected (borrowed more than they needed) but I did not recall hearing before. Was this in a KD article? This seems like a big problem— especially if they were meant to refinance. Like a really big problem. Was Barry calling their bluff and making them take ownership of their mess (fraud?) — while planning to give lots to Honey, MS, the house and, longer-term, charity?? MOO

JS purchased All City Storage in April, 2017 but KD wrote that the purchase price isn’t public. Barry did give them $50 million towards the purchase. All City Storage originally bought the property from the Ontario Government for an undisclosed price.

“Barry Sherman had provided at least $125 million to Jonathon and Paulin over the years in the form of interest-free loans registered on title to their storage company, Green Storage, along with money for homes and a cottage. My own review of public land title documents suggested that more than $200 million was made available by Barry, but Jonathon said that he and Paulin only ever needed $125 million of that amount.”

If you read that article and others on the topic, in his emails to JS Barry doesn’t discuss a discrepancy between what was loaned to JS and AP versus the value of the properties. Maybe RHR heard that through friends connected to the case(?) KD did write about the loans on title for the properties were much higher than the registered value. (For the properties that had a listed purchase price. He found two where the price is undisclosed.)

This may be obvious but I didn’t know this. I was looking up what the last affidavit would have included and found an article in the NYT about the Trump case that went into what affidavits for warrants in general have to contain. One part:

“A third section is the most sensitive. It lays out the facts supporting agents’ belief that there is probable cause to believe the targets violated those criminal laws and that evidence of those crimes is likely to be found at the place they want to search.

These paragraphs are typically a narrative about what the government knows about the target’s actions.
They can include citations to what witnesses told the F.B.I., excerpts from intercepted emails or phone calls or data about such communications, and other evidence investigators would want to protect at this stage.”

In our case the crimes are a double-homicide, so I take it that the police believed there was something within Sherfam that could help prove that the target or targets committed the murders, and what evidence they had against them.

I wasn’t sure if the police could have issued a warrant to search Sherfam just based on the fact that it was Barry’s holding company and possible POIs were connected to the company.

“In order to obtain a search warrant, police (or Crown lawyers) have to prepare documentation and show it to a judge. The documentation has to demonstrate that there are reasonable grounds to believe there is evidence of a crime or crimes within the premises. Judges do not sign off on search warrants just because police have a “feeling” or suspect they will find evidence of a crime. Search warrants are not fishing expeditions. Police have to specifically show evidence that leads them to suspect there will be evidence found. Then the judge weighs the totality of the evidence to determine if issuing a warrant is reasonable. The judge then signs the document.

Search warrants are usually pretty narrow in scope, and they will indicate what the police are looking for.”

Source:

I've never understood this as Barry asked/demanded they take out mortgages for $50 to $60 million so why would they ask for more?

RHR #1132 old thread:
I don't believe JS and AP took Barry Sherman seriously when it came to money. From what i understand, Barry found out that JS and AP had lied about what the various Green storage buildings cost. He found out that he had paid 50 to 60 million more than they were worth.
JS talks to Barry about how successful he and AP are. Meanwhile he doesn't even pay one cent toward the two babies born through surrogacy.
The first email BS received on the 13th the day he was murdered was from JS reminding BS to pay the balance owing to the surrogate company for he and Fred's babies.
Did he know that BS wouldn't be able to pay anything after the 13th.
-.-.-

I'm wondering again, whether HS and BS got into a big fight on Dec 13th. Afaik, HS had a problem (understandably!) with the surrogate children, her husband urgently wanted to have in their past. HS had another problem, afaik, with her son being gay. HS had a lot of problems, afaik, with her husband being much too generous (financial) to their children during their life. When her big financial gift from BS, promised to be a sum of $5 mill. for the future mansion (completely unwanted by himself) and MS, was a theme of conversation or even disput on Dec. 13th after the architects meeting, it stands to reason, that their financial demanding children (first place of course JS!!) were a theme also, not-to-say: even more so. MOO
I can easy imagine, how an argument about MONEY could have escalated in a dramatic way. HIS money, HIS brash, greedy son, HIS strong, demanding wife, HIS possible financial urgencies re Apotex, HIS future move into an unwanted home, HIS loved old home, which he was going to lose. HER future money, HER brash, greedy NOT-bio son (on top of it Non-Jewish believer and gay), HER beloved demanding sister, HER future palace.
Before Dec 13th there was already "stuff to deal with" (when HS missed her Charity appointment). If this "stuff" spread over days being the main theme at home, it could have had some explosives. MOO

RHR #1132 old thread:
I don't believe JS and AP took Barry Sherman seriously when it came to money. From what i understand, Barry found out that JS and AP had lied about what the various Green storage buildings cost. He found out that he had paid 50 to 60 million more than they were worth.
JS talks to Barry about how successful he and AP are. Meanwhile he doesn't even pay one cent toward the two babies born through surrogacy.
The first email BS received on the 13th the day he was murdered was from JS reminding BS to pay the balance owing to the surrogate company for he and Fred's babies.
-.-.-

I'm wondering again, whether HS and BS got into a big fight on Dec 13th. Afaik, HS had a problem (understandably!) with the surrogate children, her husband urgently wanted to have in their past. HS had another problem, afaik, with her son being gay. HS had a lot of problems, afaik, with her husband being much too generous (financial) to their children during their life. When her big financial gift from BS, promised to be a sum of $5 mill. for the future mansion (completely unwanted by himself) and MS, was a theme of conversation or even disput on Dec. 13th after the architects meeting, it stands to reason, that their financial demanding children (first place of course JS!!) were a theme also, not-to-say: even more so. MOO
I can easy imagine, how an argument about MONEY could have escalated in a dramatic way. HIS money, HIS brash, greedy son, HIS strong, demanding wife, HIS possible financial urgencies re Apotex, HIS future move into an unwanted home, HIS loved old home, which he was going to lose. HER future money, HER brash, greedy NOT-bio son (on top of it Non-Jewish believer and gay), HER beloved demanding sister, HER future palace.
Before Dec 13th there was already "stuff to deal with" (when HS missed her Charity appointment). If this "stuff" spread over days being the main theme at home, it could have had some explosives. MOO
Are you implying it could have been a murder-suicide? If so I think that is a non-starter.

We have no evidence that Barry and Honey were in conflict about these matters. To the contrary, people say they were getting along better than ever — and maybe that’s the problem: Barry was getting on the same page as Honey, getting his financial house in order, cutting off some dead financial weight, and doing better by those women closest to him (Honey, possibly MS) by providing some financial autonomy. This is what actually fits with what was happening at the time: cleaning up old loans/transactions; reining in JS and AP and requiring them to be accountable; public statements (like in the Toronto Life article) that they intended to give away a lot of their wealth; Honey talking about the money coming her way; happily picking windows for their house; calls and correspondence with Herder at Blaneys…

Who wouldn’t like this alignment of values, aims and planning? MOO

RHR #1132 old thread:
-.-.-

If he killed her and committed suicide, the suicide would have been assisted by someone else because the ties that bound his wrists and caused the strangulation were never found. That person would then be a murderer.

I don't believe this to be a plausible theory at all.

I thought KD had alluded to this about it at some point in one of his articles. I heard through someone who is also a member of Oakdale. I think BS was asking for the money, ( 50'ish million), that he overpaid back from them.

If he killed her and committed suicide, the suicide would have been assisted by someone else because the ties that bound his wrists and caused the strangulation were never found. That person would then be a murderer.

I don't believe this to be a plausible theory at all.
My idea is, that a best friend helped to beware the reputation and did the staging afterwards, without being a murderer. How he was called for help and a phone connection wasn't discovered, that I don't know.
More plausible would be a killer, but which is the motive to kill both at their home, when unpleasant personal things just were mounting up?

How does all of this about JS and AP owing BS borrowed mortgage money back square off with the following?:

"Jonathon is busy with Green Storage and a new business (Harlo Capital, a secondary market mortgage provider) he started in the fall of 2017."

Donovan, Kevin. The Billionaire Murders: The Mysterious Deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman (p. 307). Penguin Canada. Kindle Edition.

This is from October 27, 2022:

He (Detective Yim) revealed that the domestic investigation — banking and cellular telephone records, and looking at the whereabouts and alibis of certain people at the time of the murders — has caused them to begin looking overseas for information. It’s a complicated process, with a lot of international red tape, and it may take years.
[…]

Yim said that his next step, once he receives all of the MLAT information from outside Canada, is to incorporate it into a new domestic production order (similar to a search warrant but dealing with banking, cellular telephone or some other type of data) he hopes to have approved by a court in 2023.

[…]

Yim told court during cross-examination that if he identified the countries publicly it would alert the killer or killers that police are on to them. He also would not say if the countries are of interest because the suspect lives there, visits there, banks there or has some other connection. And, if the person is not the killer, Yim said he did not want to “prejudice” an innocent party by informing the public that people believed the person was involved in the murders.“
(Paywalled) Barry and Honey Sherman homicide detectives seek information in 5 countries

So he knew the information from the foreign countries would lead back to Sherfam and enable him to get a warrant to search it, imo. My impression is that they found what they were looking for in the foreign country or countries. They’re on the right track.

How does all of this about JS and AP owing BS borrowed mortgage money back square off with the following?:

"Jonathon is busy with Green Storage and a new business (Harlo Capital, a secondary market mortgage provider) he started in the fall of 2017."

Donovan, Kevin. The Billionaire Murders: The Mysterious Deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman (p. 307). Penguin Canada. Kindle Edition.
(Jonathon Sherman and Tkatch have a mortgage company called Harlo Financial, set up just before the murders. Jonathon said in an interview he and partner Adam Paulin “had some cash sitting around for projects.”)”

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astoldbybels
Back