CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered @ Home - Toronto #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with this post. Imo BS co-opted (def: to take or assume for one’s own use), the Winter children’s inheritance (Empire and its successors). Imo he (at a minimum) romanced it out from under RT. I’m sure some people have wondered just how well he and Ulster knew the guys at RT.. I know I have. Whether they knew them or not though, I think it’s very possible that BS misrepresented the condition of Empire and it’s prospects to the (imo unengaged at best) executors and trustees of the Winter estate (Royal Trust). I think Barry was good at that

From KD’s book: “Three days after Beverley died, Sherman wrote a letter to Royal Trust. He had a plan.” You bet he did.

BS claimed “he was anxious to protect the value of said assets for the benefit of the children of Louis and Beverley Winter. He proposed that he would purchase all of his deceased uncle’s assets… […] Sherman gave Royal Trust a twenty four hour time limit to consider his offer.” Three days.. The children were seven, five, four, and three

That offer was rejected, but two years later, when Sherman came back to Toronto, he “had an idea”. “Sherman drove over to Empire Laboratories…”

Then, apparently just by “chatting with people at the company, asking questions about revenues, expenses, and most importantly, product line” (and I guess using his vast business knowledge, experience and acumen), Barry determined that George Wright was “absolutely incompetent when it came to business issues.” The company is on life support

He then apparently convinced Royal Trust of the same. Imo BS got RT to agree to a fire sale price, partly by using an unenforceable “sweetener”. For those who would argue that Royal Trust was not unengaged/ incompetent - using BS’s own description of GW - who put the “incompetent” George Wright in charge of Empire in the first place?

By this time the Winter children (who I guess were nine, seven, six, and five) were living it up with their new foster parents. Btw, jmo, but I don’t think the Winter children should be blamed for their mother’s decision not to allow a relative to raise them

I’m not familiar with all the details of the Winter children’s later legal action against RT, but imo it was RT’s job to protect the children’s assets (incl imo, from people like BS) and (again imo) they failed them miserably. If RT eventually fell for a “sweetener” in the second offer that later turned out to be legally unenforceable when BS left it on the table when he sold Empire (while also being disingenuous (or lying?) in the non-compete clause), they didn’t do a very good job of protecting the children’s assets to begin with. We now know the “sweetener” was worthless.

What kind of sweetener was it? Reportedly, the children were to be able purchase 5 percent of Empire in the future - but did it name a price? Just whose obligation was it to assure (for the children) that the sweetener was enforceable and not just for show?

And as for BS’s sale of Empire? It’s hard to believe BS was handcuffed and unable to protect the Winter children’s assets during the sale. And by then of course, RT was long gone. It just doesn’t seem that BS tried real hard to “protect the value of said assets for the benefit of the children of Louis and Beverley Winter.” Maybe he changed his mind, or forgot. But then again we know how BS felt about altruism. The Serengeti and all that. Every man for himself

Everybody is welcome to their own opinion, but mine is that BS absconded with part of the Winter children’s inheritance (and in the process, changed their future). Then later in life, when the cousins discovered BS’s deception, BS used money and power and lawyers and lawyers and more lawyers to keep from having to make things right (jmo). There was obviously a lot at stake - more even (imo) than the Winter children knew. I can’t think of a more despicable act. Who was it who said that BS was the one person he’d ever met who had absolutely no redeeming quality?

Re: how the Winter cousins might now feel about the Sherman children’s billions? I don’t think any Winter cousin has ever suggested that the Sherman children have stolen anything. That doesn’t mean they don’t see the Sherman children as being in possession of (some, anyway) stolen property.

All jmo
Dr. Morton Shulman

By Anne Kingston and Michael FriscolantiApril 5, 2018
''The trustees turned down his high-pressure proposal, but Sherman did not give up. After graduating two years later, he once again sought control of his uncle’s company, this time with a partner (friend Joel Ulster) and a formal offer ($450,000). Although the trustees were willing to sell, they wanted protections built into the deal for the Winters’ four sons, since adopted. The most Sherman would agree to was a written option agreement that said his cousins could work for Empire when they turned 21, and buy up to five per cent each of the shares at age 23—as long as Sherman still owned the business. If he sold it, the option would become void. As a judge concluded, years later: “Sherman was asked to be more generous but would not budge.”

The agreement protecting Winter’s sons didn’t survive. A 1969 share swap initiated by Sherman gave control of Empire to its largest customer, and two years after that, the shares were sold for close to $2 million to ICN, a big publicly traded company. Winter’s sons were officially out, and Sherman was poised for his next chapter: Apotex.''

I believe it was personal. The "tableau" that the killer(s) created, positioning the bodies as described, made a statement, perhaps something to do with 'being hung out to dry.' Did the killer(s) feel that they had been hung out to dry by Barry and Honey, so created a picture in which the victims were hung out to dry? Also, the fact that they were both killed and placed together suggests, to me, some level of respect, twisted though it was. Yes, they were murdered but they were together and even placed relatively respectfully (i.e. side by side, clothed, no blood, Barry's glasses on his face). Placing them this way could also allow the killer(s) to believe that they were/are not "monsters." A monster would do something like Barry's cousin Kerry described in his fantasy of killing Barry (i.e. decapitating him). Finally, from what I have read, the house was large and the pool room was out of the way and not used, which makes me think that the killer(s) had to know the house.
This murder would make people wonder if it was for money, but perhaps it was committed by a person/people who had given up on getting the Sherman money. My two cents worth in this, my first post here.
"I believe it was personal." Who in the family was Barry feuding with?
"Did the killer(s) feel that they had been hung out to dry by Barry" Someone had been asked to pay back $50 million fast.
"even placed relatively respectfully" Well it is family after all.
"killer(s) had to know the house." Of course they did.

Of course this type of analysis places focus, possibly unfairly, on a limited number of people. However if you remember that the $10,000,000.00 reward has not lead to solving the case, and Jack Kay said 'follow the money', where else can any possibility be?

MOO

Having difficulty playing the podcast @ that ^ link, anyone else?

''We're sorry, something went wrong. Please try again''​

April 3 2023 Last Updated: 37 minutes ago

''KATHLEEN GOLDHAR: During my time in Susan Swann's class. She was writing and researching her own book about a murder and to help us better understand the importance of immersing yourself in a subject. Susan offered to take the class on a field trip to the coroner's office. I jumped at the chance and it was fascinating. The coroner walked us through a bunch of different real life scenarios, and together we had to decide how the person died. What you need to know to make the call. Was it a homicide, a suicide, or a natural death? The answers were surprisingly hard to come up with. In one example, we saw a picture of a woman hanging from a rope in her living room. Our initial guest's suicide, of course. But through a series of questions and the process of elimination, we came to see it differently. The coroner told us that his investigation eventually led to the arrest of her husband, who had killed her and tried to make it look like she took her own life. This unique field trip was the first thing I thought about when I heard that the police had changed their opinion about how the Shermans lives ended. The first group of seasoned homicide detectives to arrive at 50 Old Colony Road found Berry and Honey Sherman hanging with belts around their necks. They seemed to conclude that Berry killed his wife, then killed himself. These detectives had expertise in making that call. So what went into changing their minds? From the very little that I do know about forensics and pathology, the line between suicide and homicide can be very, very thin. Welcome to The no good, terribly kind wonderful lives and tragic deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman. This is chapter eight: Thin Lines.

SOUNDCLIP
MARK MENDELSOHN: Any homicide detective will tell you that you have to let the evidence lead the course of the investigation. The evidence is what you follow.''

Last edited:
Okay, Barry was 75 years old and very active in Apotex. Nobody (his big pharma enemies) could assume his death would result in the demise of Apotex as a competitor. In fact with Barry's death some investment company has paid big bucks to buy it from the estate. Billions of dollars says Apotex is a very viable company with a great future.

Big Pharma organized a hit on the Shermans? I don't think so.
It was a professional hit? Absolutely.
If Big Pharma did not benefit, who did?

MOO

I 100% agree and will take it one step further. Who benefited by not only BS being gone but also HS? Who would NOT have benefited if HS was left alive? For me, there is only one answer.

I've been listening to both the CBC and Donovan's podcasts, and have read a lot of articles. I don't think it was big pharma or a rival of Barry's in the generic drug feel. I do think it's someone very close to Barry and Honey but that someone else, likely 2 people, committed the crimes.

This entire story is tragic. I hope Kerry finds peace somehow because episode 8 of the CBC podcast made me freeze. I think some of it was acting because he made a comment that the only person he knows that has as bad a temper as Barry is him, and then he really ramped up the anger.

It's such a shame that both daughters' marriages ended. I do wonder if the 3 daughters have good relationships with each other because I think they need each other.

I 100% agree and will take it one step further. Who benefited by not only BS being gone but also HS? Who would NOT have benefited if HS was left alive? For me, there is only one answer.
I assume you are referring to JS? If so, how do you explain his pushback on the murder-suicide assessment and hiring a private investigator and lawyer to dig deeper?

I've been listening to both the CBC and Donovan's podcasts, and have read a lot of articles. I don't think it was big pharma or a rival of Barry's in the generic drug feel. I do think it's someone very close to Barry and Honey but that someone else, likely 2 people, committed the crimes.

This entire story is tragic. I hope Kerry finds peace somehow because episode 8 of the CBC podcast made me freeze. I think some of it was acting because he made a comment that the only person he knows that has as bad a temper as Barry is him, and then he really ramped up the anger.

It's such a shame that both daughters' marriages ended. I do wonder if the 3 daughters have good relationships with each other because I think they need each other.
Thank you for your post and input MerlinFalcon, my summations are similar to yours. Do we know that Alex and her husband did not reunite? I only ever heard they separated? As I recall Alex's husband was close friend to Jonathan.

Welcome to the conversation, I feel your thoughts will be enlightening for us.

I assume you are referring to JS? If so, how do you explain his pushback on the murder-suicide assessment and hiring a private investigator and lawyer to dig deeper?

IMO some egotistical people think they are smarter than anyone else. A family member could not argue the suicide idea was true, and hiring a PI was to gather all the information LE were getting that LE were not sharing with the family. The PI team was to gather information, this could be to convince it was not suicide at all, and or stay one step ahead of LE, many tips went to the PI team that was managed by a lawyer, who could protect their clients and they had control of what the narrative was and could get control of where they wanted the investigation to go.

Apr 03, 2023
''KATHLEEN GOLDHAR: Have you ever, ever experienced that before? A very wealthy, powerful family hires its own investigative team.

SOUNDCLIP
MARK MENDELSOHN: Not when I was at Homicide, but I've certainly been retained in that capacity. You know, since since I retired and opened up the private investigation side of my life.
KATHLEEN GOLDHAR: Former homicide detective Mark Mendelsohn again.

SOUNDCLIP
MARK MENDELSOHN: But having said that, I think it's important to note that if I was sitting in Homicide and it was my case or I was the unit commander, and I found out that anybody had hired a private investigator to sort of reinvent the wheel of my investigation, one thing's for sure, I would be not sharing any information with that private investigator. The information goes one way. It goes to the police because they have carriage of the investigation. It is not appropriate by any stretch of the imagination, especially when you're thinking about court two years down the road to start sharing intimate details and evidence with a private investigator or lawyer or a lawyer for for the family, for that matter. Because once somebody else has that information, you've got no control over where it goes.''

Nobody seriously believed the murder-suicide assessment, especially after the two autopsies. JS would have looked like a fool if he stuck to that belief at all. If what some people are implying regarding JS being involved is true, he knew for a fact it was not M/S.

Hiring a Private investigative team, does a several things that could place JS in a good light.

a) It implies the TPC is incompetent and will not catch the correct criminals. This would be a good scenario if a family member is charged and ends up in court.

b) With access to the PI's investigation, JS would know in general what the TPS is doing as well.

c) Not likely PI's would find anything, as they have less legal investigative resources than the TPS. In the real world, PI's solve very few homicide cases.

d) JS and the children, by hiring the Investigative team, and offering the big reward come across as loving and caring children.

MOO

Unsure what to make of the "GTA properties" bit.
April 4 2023
U.S.-based REIT W.P. Carey (WPC-N) announced this morning it will invest $468 million US to acquire a “critical portfolio of four pharmaceutical R&D and manufacturing campuses” in the Greater Toronto Area operated by Canadian global generic drug giant Apotex Pharmaceutical Holdings Inc.

The portfolio represents the majority of Apotex’s global operations, comprising 11 properties which cover about 2.3 million square feet of space. It is being acquired as a sale-leaseback.

The lease is structured as a triple-net master lease with rent payable in U.S. dollars and fixed rent escalations over a 20-year term. The sale-leaseback transaction closed April 3, concurrently with private equity firm SK Capital's majority buyout of Apotex, financing a portion of the buyout.

Financial terms of SK Capital's buyout of Apotex have not been released.

"We're thrilled to close this sale-leaseback and welcome Apotex as a top tenant. In addition to its existing scale, we believe Apotex will continue to benefit from the deep expertise of its private equity sponsor in the pharmaceutical manufacturing sector,” Tyler Swann, managing director of W. P. Carey, said in the announcement. “This investment is a great example of our ability to partner with private equity firms to leverage sale-leaseback proceeds to optimize the capital stack for new acquisitions. We look forward to growing our partnership with Apotex and SK Capital alike.”

Thank you for your post and input MerlinFalcon, my summations are similar to yours. Do we know that Alex and her husband did not reunite? I only ever heard they separated? As I recall Alex's husband was close friend to Jonathan.

Welcome to the conversation, I feel your thoughts will be enlightening for us.
I heard it on the CBC podcast that came out this week about both girls.

Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome to Ws @BJCALAB, great first post!

''At their funeral, their son Jonathon called them "yin and yang".
"They completed a circle that encompassed everything important about what it means to be human," he said. "Neither one perfect but together wholly balanced and exceptional."

"You were like a lock and a key, each pretty useless on your own. But together you unlocked the whole world for yourselves, and for us, and so many others."
I found a number of things really odd with his eulogy. The first comment he made about the week since their deaths being "effed up" was inappropriate in front of all those people. Who swears at a eulogy of murder victims? The constant sniffing seemed over the top. His comment right off the bat about not sharing any personal stories screams to me of the kids and parents really not getting along because he could have talked about something - anything that reflected their lives as a family.

People always lie at funerals and make the dead person(s) sound much better than they were even if they weren't good people but his comment about his dad coming to his hockey and baseball games once every year or two being his Stanley Cup and World Series was the most passive aggressive thing because he just told everyone his dad didn't go to his games.

The comment where he said they were useless on their own is another insult. If it was true, frame it better. I don't believe it was true because they seemed to live separate lives, her doing social things, fundraising etc. and him working all the time. Obviously he wasn't useless as a businessman and she wasn't useless as a fundraiser.

My feeling after listening to the podcasts (I haven't read Donovan's book yet) <modsnip<? I think the cops are going to make sure not to screw up anymore and will need to have a really strong case before an arrest is made.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO some egotistical people think they are smarter than anyone else. A family member could not argue the suicide idea was true, and hiring a PI was to gather all the information LE were getting that LE were not sharing with the family. The PI team was to gather information, this could be to convince it was not suicide at all, and or stay one step ahead of LE, many tips went to the PI team that was managed by a lawyer, who could protect their clients and they had control of what the narrative was and could get control of where they wanted the investigation to go.

Very well said! I will also add a small side note that JS didn't want the M/S rumor to tarnish their reputation.

Fwiw, noting one of deugirtni's astute posts..
2020 #post 478

By Rachel Mendleson April 5, 2023
''A high-profile child homicide case has fallen apart after testimony from Ontario’s top pathologist Dr. Michael Pollanen led to an accusation that he “deceived the criminal justice system.”

Apr 03, 2023
''KATHLEEN GOLDHAR: Have you ever, ever experienced that before? A very wealthy, powerful family hires its own investigative team.

SOUNDCLIP
MARK MENDELSOHN: Not when I was at Homicide, but I've certainly been retained in that capacity. You know, since since I retired and opened up the private investigation side of my life.
KATHLEEN GOLDHAR: Former homicide detective Mark Mendelsohn again.

SOUNDCLIP
MARK MENDELSOHN: But having said that, I think it's important to note that if I was sitting in Homicide and it was my case or I was the unit commander, and I found out that anybody had hired a private investigator to sort of reinvent the wheel of my investigation, one thing's for sure, I would be not sharing any information with that private investigator. The information goes one way. It goes to the police because they have carriage of the investigation. It is not appropriate by any stretch of the imagination, especially when you're thinking about court two years down the road to start sharing intimate details and evidence with a private investigator or lawyer or a lawyer for for the family, for that matter. Because once somebody else has that information, you've got no control over where it goes.''
I haven't listened to the podcast, but IMO, the Sherman children hired the #1 defense lawyer in the country, Brian Greenspan (the guy Kevin O'Leary called when involved in a boat crash)...IMO, Greenspan took charge and made all the decisions, telling them to mount the alternative investigation, then he hired the team of PI's, leaked and spoke to the news media, etc. He and his late brother were masters of this stuff. I really doubt the children would have done any of this without his advice.

IMO, this was a forceful backlash against press coverage that suggested TPS had made up their minds, and then leaked the m-s theory to the media. Also, of course, the person/people who inherit would immediately be questioned under any theory, they'd want legal support for that reason as well.

JMO

Apr 5, 2023 The No Good, Terribly Kind, Wonderful Lives and Tragic Deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman l Weekly
''After our year-long investigation, in this final episode we revisit the murder/suicide theory. That misstep set the whole investigation off on the wrong foot, and might have derailed any chance of finding out who killed the Shermans. To the Sherman's children, it's one of the biggest police screw-ups in recent history – a botched job that muddled the truth and stained the family. But the theory hangs in the air because its adherents, especially Kerry Winter, aren’t budging. In the end, what is the Shermans’ legacy? And what was all that money really for?''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member