CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered @ Home - Toronto #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
March 10 2023

''The Toronto Star’s Kevin Donovan takes you behind the scenes on what it took to speak openly with family and friends, and get the inside story on the lives and deaths of Honey and Barry Sherman.

The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman” is a “Suspicion” podcast probing the strange case of the famous Toronto couple who were found strangled in their north Toronto home in 2017. For five years, Donovan has covered the case for the Star, fought court battles to access documents on the police investigation and the Sherman estate, and wrote a book about it.''

March 102023
''It's Canada's most famous ongoing whodunnit. More than five years after the murders of the billionaire couple, the case is still open, the police are still chasing leads, and reporters are still getting new tips. But that hasn't resulted in a concrete suspect ... yet.

Why not? What makes this case so hard to crack? And so compelling to the public? What could have been done earlier to make a difference in the information available? What are we still learning now? What might we learn in the months to come? And why does the reporter who has spent years investigating this case believe that we will, eventually, crack it?''

GUEST: Kevin Donovan, chief investigative reporter, Toronto Star; host of The Billionaire Murders podcast

Attachments

• 1678453962324.png
    1678453962324.png
    786.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
''Mar 10, 2023 #InvestigationDiscovery #StillAMystery #TheShermans
Billionaire couple Barry and Honey Sherman are found murdered in their Toronto mansion, their bodies posed to resemble statues elsewhere in the house. Wild theories emerge as investigators find no shortage of suspicious characters with possible motives. Four years later, police release surveillance footage that could crack the case.''

IMO, it was a relative, and LE knows what relative but can't prove it. I see this as a solved case that will never be adjudicated because the evidence needed to secure a conviction just isn't there.
I think that you're going to see quite a few cases like this in the future because juries today won't accept circumstantial evidence and want to see a "smoking gun" every time. Some call it the CSI effect. I don't know what the legal standard for conviction is in Canada, but the standard of "reasonable doubt" that used to prevail here in the U.S. has given way to "beyond a shadow of a doubt," which is a nearly-impossible bar for the prosecution to cross.

IMO, it was a relative, and LE knows what relative but can't prove it. I see this as a solved case that will never be adjudicated because the evidence needed to secure a conviction just isn't there.
I think that you're going to see quite a few cases like this in the future because juries today won't accept circumstantial evidence and want to see a "smoking gun" every time. Some call it the CSI effect. I don't know what the legal standard for conviction is in Canada, but the standard of "reasonable doubt" that used to prevail here in the U.S. has given way to "beyond a shadow of a doubt," which is a nearly-impossible bar for the prosecution to cross.

I think you are right on, about the case being solved, but not enough evidence exists to get a conviction in a court of law.

We are seeing lately here in Canada in high profile cases, where charges are laid, and then stayed (dropped).

Here is the latest example.

In my opinion only, there have been numerous wrongful convictions in Canada (Truscott, Milgard, Morin) that the prosecutors and the courts demand that law enforcement be perfect in procedure. One or more errors by the police in the investigation allows the alleged guilty walk.

Absolutely the TPS will not lay charges until they are 100% the case is solid. (I am assuming the potential defendant will have unlimited legal resources.$$$$$$)

'Chapter Five: Just Skate'

March 13 2023
''News of the mysterious deaths of billionaire Canadian pharma giant Barry Sherman and his philanthropist wife Honey in December 2017 reverberated around the world. Five years later, with no arrests and little news from the police, their deaths remain shrouded in mystery and conspiracy theories, with too many lingering questions. Not just who killed them, but what kind of life do you have to live that when you’re found dead, there are multiple theories, including some involving your own family? That’s the question journalist Kathleen Goldhar set out to discover, in The No Good, Terribly Kind, Wonderful Lives and Tragic Deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman, as she explores who the Shermans really were and why too much money might have been what killed them in the end.''

Well I am way off then, if BS really would ask for 50 to 60 million (not the higher value 60 mil but 50 to 60 mil, makes no sense to me to give a range if you need 580 million), again if BS really needed Sherfam money for Apotex business loss would he not ask for the full Monty of 125 million they had? JS said he had not spent it all so why not give that back? I interpret this as teaching these two a lesson.

I think Barry didn’t want to continue to support AP in particular and their businesses in general, and that’s why he asked for about half of what they owed—AP’s half. imo
''News of the mysterious deaths of billionaire Canadian pharma giant Barry Sherman and his philanthropist wife Honey in December 2017 reverberated around the world. Five years later, with no arrests and little news from the police, their deaths remain shrouded in mystery and conspiracy theories, with too many lingering questions. Not just who killed them, but what kind of life do you have to live that when you’re found dead, there are multiple theories, including some involving your own family? That’s the question journalist Kathleen Goldhar set out to discover, in The No Good, Terribly Kind, Wonderful Lives and Tragic Deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman, as she explores who the Shermans really were and why too much money might have been what killed them in the end.''
Did anyone listen to today’s podcast? Any thoughts on this one or KD’s latest?

Did anyone listen to today’s podcast? Any thoughts on this one or KD’s latest?
I just really have a dislike going on for that person doing the CBC one. I get annoyed with people when they portray things incorrectly. And she seems terribly judgemental to me. Not to mention not particularly enlightening in any way. jmo.

IIRC, HS also had income properties owned together with her sister - not sure if owned under a separate corporation (likely) or under their own names, or the type of ownership..
If it was joint ownership, probably the sister would be the sole owner of the properties after Honey's death.

Perhaps Barry and Honey considered that sufficient, didn't feel they needed to give the sister any more than that. Naturally, the sister disagrees!

In probate court, everything else just in Honey's name, would go to Barry.

I agree that Honey and Barry probably regarded everything she had as coming from Barry, and that it should all go back to him. IMO they had that kind of old-fashioned marriage.

Also, properties were in her name for tax purposes only, not because he had truly gifted them to her, to give away to whomever she chose.

The only problem with probate is it delays everything. But maybe Honey and Barry didn't care about that enough to face the certainty of her own death, not yet, anyway.

JMO

Last edited:
If it was joint ownership, probably the sister would be the sole owner of the properties after Honey's death.

Perhaps Barry and Honey considered that sufficient, didn't feel they needed to give the sister any more than that. Naturally, the sister disagrees!

In probate court, everything else just in Honey's name, would go to Barry.

I agree that Honey and Barry probably regarded everything she had as coming from Barry, and that it should all go back to him. IMO they had that kind of old-fashioned marriage.

Also, properties were in her name for tax purposes only, not because he had truly gifted them to her, to give away to whomever she chose.

The only problem with probate is it delays everything. But maybe Honey and Barry didn't care about that enough to face the certainty of her own death, not yet, anyway.

JMO
Can you imagine if HS/MS properties were *not* joint ownership, and instead, tenants in common - that would mean H's portion would go to her estate, and MS would need to either sell the properties to allow H's estate to collect on H's value of the properties, or cough up the cash to buy H's portion out.. depending I suppose, on how sticky the Sherman's adult children were going to be with her about that (but if JS kicked her out of her storage unit as has been reported, I'm thinking they might be fairly sticky with her!). If sold, I'm sure MS would've still made out well, but just not as well as she had hoped, imo.

Can you imagine if HS/MS properties were *not* joint ownership, and instead, tenants in common - that would mean H's portion would go to her estate, and MS would need to either sell the properties to allow H's estate to collect on H's value of the properties, or cough up the cash to buy H's portion out.. depending I suppose, on how sticky the Sherman's adult children were going to be with her about that (but if JS kicked her out of her storage unit as has been reported, I'm thinking they might be fairly sticky with her!). If sold, I'm sure MS would've still made out well, but just not as well as she had hoped, imo.
If MS truly owned all those purchased properties, surely the sale of any one of them would make a huge profit and MS's husband would not be ''so short of cash'' that he has to drive an Uber, in Florida. imo, speculation.

June 21, 2019 rbbm.
''Following Honey’s death, Barry’s will instructs the estate to be divided among his four children, with the trustees of his estate given discretion to provide money to extended family.

One close friend told the Star, “Barry did not think he was ever going to die. He probably figured he would get around to leaving those instructions one day, but was not in a hurry.”

“Barry was talking about giving Honey a substantial amount of money,” said one person close to Barry.

The Sherman friends say one complicating factor in the planned gift to Honey was Shechtman.

“It was to be Honey’s money,” said a close friend. “If she wanted to give some to Mary, fine.”

''In fact, in the wake of the Sherman murders, sources say Shechtman told the Sherman children that Honey had promised her $300 million. That claim, unsubstantiated by any paperwork, produced a rift between the Sherman children and Shechtman, beginning several days after the murder. The rift continues to this day. Separate shivas were held, one at Shechtman’s home and one at Barry’s sister Sandra Florence’s home.

Sources say Shechtman has told friends that her family is so short of cash that her husband is driving an Uber in Florida, and she is considering a job as a tour guide.''

If MS truly owned all those purchased properties, surely the sale of any one of them would make a huge profit and MS's husband would not be ''so short of cash'' that he has to drive an Uber, in Florida. imo, speculation.

June 21, 2019 rbbm.
''Following Honey’s death, Barry’s will instructs the estate to be divided among his four children, with the trustees of his estate given discretion to provide money to extended family.

One close friend told the Star, “Barry did not think he was ever going to die. He probably figured he would get around to leaving those instructions one day, but was not in a hurry.”

“Barry was talking about giving Honey a substantial amount of money,” said one person close to Barry.

The Sherman friends say one complicating factor in the planned gift to Honey was Shechtman.

“It was to be Honey’s money,” said a close friend. “If she wanted to give some to Mary, fine.”

''In fact, in the wake of the Sherman murders, sources say Shechtman told the Sherman children that Honey had promised her $300 million. That claim, unsubstantiated by any paperwork, produced a rift between the Sherman children and Shechtman, beginning several days after the murder. The rift continues to this day. Separate shivas were held, one at Shechtman’s home and one at Barry’s sister Sandra Florence’s home.

Sources say Shechtman has told friends that her family is so short of cash that her husband is driving an Uber in Florida, and she is considering a job as a tour guide.''
People are funny about money. Ought to be the chorus for a song.

I'm not getting how $300 million is required to cover what an Uber driver/tour guide couple might make. I'm guessing several zeros got tacked on by mistake.

JMO

June 21, 2019 rbbm.

And no curtains!

IIRC, HS also had income properties owned together with her sister - not sure if owned under a separate corporation (likely) or under their own names, or the type of ownership.. but in any case, it is difficult to believe that HS would not have wanted to ensure her sister was looked after in the event of H's unexpected death. Could H guarantee that if she died first before her husband, B would remember to include MS in his will, when MS did not apparently appear in his current will? Perhaps it was just a draft she had made (from Staples or something, like JDG has suggested perhaps?), but not yet signed, because she hadn't yet received that big pot of money she was supposed to be receiving from her husband? I wonder if the 'lawyer appointment' was just to make it seem more relevant to the service provider she was speaking to? ie give her words more clout, when she didn't actually even go to a lawyer? Or perhaps she just went into a different lawyer to obtain independent legal advice on her will/estate? I have prob mentioned before, but someone close to me did exactly that (made their own will) because they were very upset with the lawyer the family had used forever (a personal friend of the spouse's from childhood) and the person refused to have anything to do with him again. It was still a legal document, as long as it is signed and properly witnessed. Was H sick of being 'controlled'? ie she wanted her own funds so she didn't always have to 'ask' for what she wanted. Maybe there was some kind of scheming going on between MS and H? Although H seems too bright to be led astray by her younger sister? Just random thoughts.
Came across this today, I cannot find much about NMR Properties other than Mary Shechtman is an owner and they are rental buildings - IMO residual income for HS Sister, Mary S.

It appears she has kept this property (maybe others too) Or purchased after 2017, if purchased she has $$, they want to do renovations.

Possibly all purchases by MS and HS were done under a family trust, this trust would have legalities covered I assume that would omit the need for either one of these ladies to have a will - regarding these assets anyway? Possibly the proposed gift of millions to HS would be provided via this trust, thus why MS would benefit with HS, something that Sherfam and the children would have no power over?

This parcel is owned by Mary Reich Shechtman Trs - Shechtman Family Trust - Honey Sherman Trs

March 17 2023
'Loosening lips: What Sherman friends and family might be trying to hide (bonus episode)'
''In this second bonus episode of “The Billionaire Murders,” we take listeners behind the scenes of reporter Kevin Donovan’s investigation and what it took to speak openly with family and friends, and get the inside story on the lives and deaths of Honey and Barry Sherman.''

March 17 2023
'Loosening lips: What Sherman friends and family might be trying to hide (bonus episode)'
''In this second bonus episode of “The Billionaire Murders,” we take listeners behind the scenes of reporter Kevin Donovan’s investigation and what it took to speak openly with family and friends, and get the inside story on the lives and deaths of Honey and Barry Sherman.''
Why do I feel like I've listened to this before, when it just came out today?

Adding old video as a reminder and space filler.
Thanks for reposting this, it's like walking out into the bitterly cold air after being in the stuffy, overheated room where too many journalists are recycling too many old ideas.

I think he's walking away from just having murdered the Shermans and hanging their bodies up.

I have doubts LE felt 100% about any suicide at all, as the early indications the investigators were all over the home, the roof, the front yard/sewers, these were searched in the first week after they were found, and they looked over the home for 6 weeks, if they felt 100% M/S or even S/S IMO they would have wrapped up the investigation in much less time.

I was pondering: How long after their bodies were found, did LE first see the footage from a neighbour's camera of this guy, headed towards the rear of the home, and staying there for an extended period of time on the evening/night of the 11th. The next day? Two days?

IMO, LE would know instantly, when they saw that footage, that this guy murdered them.

I wonder what else they found, that we don't know about.

They must have had high hopes they could trace this guy, somehow find out who he was, and if he was connected to someone else. IMO, that was always what they were looking for, right from the start. Some tiny lead that they could follow, that would eventually connect back to this man. A forensic trace, a phone number, a purchase of something unusual that was used in the crime, payments by a person of interest, or meetings, a license plate repeatedly passing by the home...

Meanwhile, in the media, relentless gossip about anything and everything, but all quite beside the point, IMO.

Last edited:
March 20 2023
''News of the mysterious deaths of billionaire Canadian pharma giant Barry Sherman and his philanthropist wife Honey in December 2017 reverberated around the world. Five years later, with no arrests and little news from the police, their deaths remain shrouded in mystery and conspiracy theories, with too many lingering questions. Not just who killed them, but what kind of life do you have to live that when you’re found dead, there are multiple theories, including some involving your own family?''

''Chapter Six: It's Complicated''

March 20 2023
''News of the mysterious deaths of billionaire Canadian pharma giant Barry Sherman and his philanthropist wife Honey in December 2017 reverberated around the world. Five years later, with no arrests and little news from the police, their deaths remain shrouded in mystery and conspiracy theories, with too many lingering questions. Not just who killed them, but what kind of life do you have to live that when you’re found dead, there are multiple theories, including some involving your own family?''

''Chapter Six: It's Complicated''

:oops:

Very nice voice, one that money simply cannot buy, imo.
March 21 2023
''The Toronto-based singer-songwriter releases her latest hybrid-folk single today, just ahead of the CFMA Awards Weekend in Vancouver, on March 31st-April 2nd.

TORONTO, March 21, 2023 /CNW/ - Following the success of her 2022 debut album, "Le Olam," Toronto, Canada-based folk musician, singer, and songwriter Alex Krawczyk released her first single of the new year, "A Song for You." That track, along with the other 11 from her critically acclaimed album, have boosted the folk-pop artist's Spotify streams over the 300K mark.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong