CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered @ Home - Toronto #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel that I’m almost alone in feeling very alarmed by what KW allegedly said to KG.

I’m just going to try to forget I ever heard it and hope everyone involved in the podcast follows up with their call to the TPS.
I am not sure why I do not feel more alarmed by it. IMO KG exploited KW for listeners. For the most part it was recap of details we knew. IMO KW thought he would be able to finally give his side of things in his own voice. But the interview was edited and manipulated, we do not see KW face at all, KG states he changed and then has his voice trail off until we cannot hear it, she then tells us she had to call the police. IMO KG wanted to enlighten the podcast. After all of the investigating done on this case, KG felt it necessary to do an entire segment on KW, LE have looked him over so deeply, lie detector test and all and have publicly stated he had nothing to do with the murders. Being angry and upset and verbally sharing angry statements about a deceased is not a crime. It is not a mature manner to handle it but when emotions are involved our maturity sometimes takes a backseat.

IMO if journalists continue to try to interview KW it is not for his or the investigations best interest. Very sad, KW needs time to heal not be dragged through all of his sufferings so some one can have listeners. My heart truly goes out to KW, regardless if we agree or disagree with his logic about the Winters inheritance these are his feelings and emotions, until we can put ourselves in his shoes to experience his emotions and better understand statements and decisions made when in that emotional state, we will not know why statements are made as they are. IMO KW has so much feeling and emotion, it would be so hard understanding a man like BS whom reportedly lacked any feeling or emotion and could turn off like a tap without looking back. IMO both BS and KW felt betrayed by one another, both strong willed and this was not going to see a happy ending for their relationship.

2018 fwiw..
''According to a document Teplitsky has filed with court, he has received “conflicting instructions” from Paul and Julia on one hand, and Kerry on the other.

Teplitsky said the Law Society of Upper Canada suggested he bring a motion before court to appoint a litigation guardian, something done in cases where “unsoundness of mind” is determined, according to Teplitsky’s documents. Teplitsky wants to be removed as Kerry’s lawyer, the documents state.

Winter is opposing the appointment of a litigation guardian (a lawyer provided by the province at provincial expense) and has told the Star he is competent to represent himself.

What is in the two affidavits his sister-in-law has filed is a mystery, and the Winter/Barkin parties want to keep it that way.

“Parties should be encouraged to bring forward mental health difficulties without concern that they will be broadcast in the media or by people who might seek to take advantage of that information,” Teplitsky’s documents state.

On Sherman’s side, lawyer Katherine Kay states in documents filed with court that the “open court” principle should apply and the affidavits should be public. She points to numerous delays in the Barkin/Winter group filing court documents on time, and notes that in 2017 some of them asked for a litigation guardian to be appointed for cousin Jeffrey Barkin.''

Sorry, I missed this statement by LE, can someone let me know when this happened?

I know I read it or saw it on a video I think it was TPS update, however here are a few publishing's backing that he is not a suspect.

Feb 20, 2022 — Half of the massive Toronto police search warrant file is still blacked out. ... is there not one single visible reference to Kerry Winter, ...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/barry-sherman-cousin-1.4514176

" Winter said he planned to meet police for an interview and that he was told he was not a suspect.

Arntfield, who is also a former major crimes police officer, says Winter's story will be of interest to the police.

"He needs to be properly cleared before moving on to other people, I would say."

After his interviews with The Fifth Estate, Winter reached out again to say that even though he did not retract anything, he did not want to "come across as uncaring, unfeeling."

"This was a tragedy no matter how you slice and dice it," he said. "This was a terrible thing that happened, even though my cousin and I had an extreme falling out."

The Fifth Estate has no evidence of Winter's involvement with the Sherman homicides."

Speaking to Maclean’s, Winter says he understands why some may consider him a suspect, given the timing of the lawsuit’s dismissal and the subsequent costs award. “People can think: ‘Oh, Kerry lost his summary judgment motion and he went out and—some way, somehow—got into Barry’s house on Old Colony and did the dirty deed, and now he’s acting like a loon on The Fifth Estate. He is the main suspect,’ ” he says. “Come on. Would I be walking around, six, seven weeks after the murder? If I’m a suspect, where is my DNA? Where is my hair? Where are my fingerprints?”

I disagree with this post. Imo BS co-opted (def: to take or assume for one’s own use), the Winter children’s inheritance (Empire and its successors). Imo he (at a minimum) romanced it out from under RT. I’m sure some people have wondered just how well he and Ulster knew the guys at RT.. I know I have. Whether they knew them or not though, I think it’s very possible that BS misrepresented the condition of Empire and it’s prospects to the (imo unengaged at best) executors and trustees of the Winter estate (Royal Trust). I think Barry was good at that

From KD’s book: “Three days after Beverley died, Sherman wrote a letter to Royal Trust. He had a plan.” You bet he did.

BS claimed “he was anxious to protect the value of said assets for the benefit of the children of Louis and Beverley Winter. He proposed that he would purchase all of his deceased uncle’s assets… […] Sherman gave Royal Trust a twenty four hour time limit to consider his offer.” Three days.. The children were seven, five, four, and three

That offer was rejected, but two years later, when Sherman came back to Toronto, he “had an idea”. “Sherman drove over to Empire Laboratories…”

Then, apparently just by “chatting with people at the company, asking questions about revenues, expenses, and most importantly, product line” (and I guess using his vast business knowledge, experience and acumen), Barry determined that George Wright was “absolutely incompetent when it came to business issues.” The company is on life support

He then apparently convinced Royal Trust of the same. Imo BS got RT to agree to a fire sale price, partly by using an unenforceable “sweetener”. For those who would argue that Royal Trust was not unengaged/ incompetent - using BS’s own description of GW - who put the “incompetent” George Wright in charge of Empire in the first place?

By this time the Winter children (who I guess were nine, seven, six, and five) were living it up with their new foster parents. Btw, jmo, but I don’t think the Winter children should be blamed for their mother’s decision not to allow a relative to raise them

I’m not familiar with all the details of the Winter children’s later legal action against RT, but imo it was RT’s job to protect the children’s assets (incl imo, from people like BS) and (again imo) they failed them miserably. If RT eventually fell for a “sweetener” in the second offer that later turned out to be legally unenforceable when BS left it on the table when he sold Empire (while also being disingenuous (or lying?) in the non-compete clause), they didn’t do a very good job of protecting the children’s assets to begin with. We now know the “sweetener” was worthless.

What kind of sweetener was it? Reportedly, the children were to be able purchase 5 percent of Empire in the future - but did it name a price? Just whose obligation was it to assure (for the children) that the sweetener was enforceable and not just for show?

And as for BS’s sale of Empire? It’s hard to believe BS was handcuffed and unable to protect the Winter children’s assets during the sale. And by then of course, RT was long gone. It just doesn’t seem that BS tried real hard to “protect the value of said assets for the benefit of the children of Louis and Beverley Winter.” Maybe he changed his mind, or forgot. But then again we know how BS felt about altruism. The Serengeti and all that. Every man for himself

Everybody is welcome to their own opinion, but mine is that BS absconded with part of the Winter children’s inheritance (and in the process, changed their future). Then later in life, when the cousins discovered BS’s deception, BS used money and power and lawyers and lawyers and more lawyers to keep from having to make things right (jmo). There was obviously a lot at stake - more even (imo) than the Winter children knew. I can’t think of a more despicable act. Who was it who said that BS was the one person he’d ever met who had absolutely no redeeming quality?

Re: how the Winter cousins might now feel about the Sherman children’s billions? I don’t think any Winter cousin has ever suggested that the Sherman children have stolen anything. That doesn’t mean they don’t see the Sherman children as being in possession of (some, anyway) stolen property.

All jmo
VERY well said. Thank-you.

I am not sure why I do not feel more alarmed by it. IMO KG exploited KW for listeners. For the most part it was recap of details we knew. IMO KW thought he would be able to finally give his side of things in his own voice. But the interview was edited and manipulated, we do not see KW face at all, KG states he changed and then has his voice trail off until we cannot hear it, she then tells us she had to call the police. IMO KG wanted to enlighten the podcast. After all of the investigating done on this case, KG felt it necessary to do an entire segment on KW, LE have looked him over so deeply, lie detector test and all and have publicly stated he had nothing to do with the murders. Being angry and upset and verbally sharing angry statements about a deceased is not a crime. It is not a mature manner to handle it but when emotions are involved our maturity sometimes takes a backseat.

IMO if journalists continue to try to interview KW it is not for his or the investigations best interest. Very sad, KW needs time to heal not be dragged through all of his sufferings so some one can have listeners. My heart truly goes out to KW, regardless if we agree or disagree with his logic about the Winters inheritance these are his feelings and emotions, until we can put ourselves in his shoes to experience his emotions and better understand statements and decisions made when in that emotional state, we will not know why statements are made as they are. IMO KW has so much feeling and emotion, it would be so hard understanding a man like BS whom reportedly lacked any feeling or emotion and could turn off like a tap without looking back. IMO both BS and KW felt betrayed by one another, both strong willed and this was not going to see a happy ending for their relationship.
Agree and happy to see someone say it. BS and KW both felt betrayed by each other.

2018 fwiw..
''According to a document Teplitsky has filed with court, he has received “conflicting instructions” from Paul and Julia on one hand, and Kerry on the other.

Teplitsky said the Law Society of Upper Canada suggested he bring a motion before court to appoint a litigation guardian, something done in cases where “unsoundness of mind” is determined, according to Teplitsky’s documents. Teplitsky wants to be removed as Kerry’s lawyer, the documents state.

Winter is opposing the appointment of a litigation guardian (a lawyer provided by the province at provincial expense) and has told the Star he is competent to represent himself.

What is in the two affidavits his sister-in-law has filed is a mystery, and the Winter/Barkin parties want to keep it that way.

“Parties should be encouraged to bring forward mental health difficulties without concern that they will be broadcast in the media or by people who might seek to take advantage of that information,” Teplitsky’s documents state.

On Sherman’s side, lawyer Katherine Kay states in documents filed with court that the “open court” principle should apply and the affidavits should be public. She points to numerous delays in the Barkin/Winter group filing court documents on time, and notes that in 2017 some of them asked for a litigation guardian to be appointed for cousin Jeffrey Barkin.''
Its kind of rich that the Sherman lawyer argues in favour of the 'open court" principal, when they fought so hard to keep the estate documents sealed....

By Fraiser KansteinerMar 3, 2023
''Apotex’s fate was thrown into flux with the murder of the company’s founder Barry Sherman and his wife in 2017. Last September, following a CEO switch and a price fixing settlement, the company sold itself to private investment firm SK Capital.

At the time of the sale, the terms of which remain under wraps, Apotex employed roughly 8,000 people across more than 100 countries. Beyond Canada and the U.S., Apotex boasts a significant footprint in India and Mexico. Back in 2019, the company was valued at around $3 billion.''

I feel pretty bad for KW. I won't lie. I have complex PTSD too, but I can't imagine his situation of having everything he wanted and then finding out Barry had stolen money and opportunities and basically, a future, from him and his siblings. Barry and Honey both sounded like... they put on a nice face in public. and that's all i'll say on that.

Thanks for reposting this, it's like walking out into the bitterly cold air after being in the stuffy, overheated room where too many journalists are recycling too many old ideas.

I think he's walking away from just having murdered the Shermans and hanging their bodies up.

I was pondering: How long after their bodies were found, did LE first see the footage from a neighbour's camera of this guy, headed towards the rear of the home, and staying there for an extended period of time on the evening/night of the 11th. The next day? Two days?

IMO, LE would know instantly, when they saw that footage, that this guy murdered them.

I wonder what else they found, that we don't know about.

They must have had high hopes they could trace this guy, somehow find out who he was, and if he was connected to someone else. IMO, that was always what they were looking for, right from the start. Some tiny lead that they could follow, that would eventually connect back to this man. A forensic trace, a phone number, a purchase of something unusual that was used in the crime, payments by a person of interest, or meetings, a license plate repeatedly passing by the home...

Meanwhile, in the media, relentless gossip about anything and everything, but all quite beside the point, IMO.
It looks like Barry!

April 2 2023
By Kathleen GoldharApr. 2, 2023
''When media reported on Dec. 15, 2017, that Barry and Honey Sherman had been found dead in their Toronto home, it became the rare Canadian event that garnered international attention.
“Very quickly, it became a big story,” said Matthew Campbell, a Canadian reporter and editor for Bloomberg Businessweek. “There aren’t a lot of stories from Canada that go global, and there certainly aren’t a lot of stories from Canada that you get asked about at dinner parties in London and Paris, as I was over the next few months.”
The main reason for this is that the Shermans were among the wealthiest people in North America. Barry Sherman founded one of Canada’s largest generic drug companies, Apotex; Forbes estimated him to be worth more than $3 billion US when he died. Meanwhile, Honey was a fixture in Toronto’s philanthropic and Jewish communities.''
1680443432098.png

Barry Sherman's uncle Lou Winter, who owned Toronto-based Empire Labs, which Sherman bought and eventually turned into Apotex. (Submitted by Kerry Winter)

“Anybody who is deeply immersed in the global generic drug industry is trafficking in a dangerous world.… A world of fraud. A world of threats. A world of subterfuge,” said Eban. “I have often said about my beat that I cover organized crime… it just happens to be organized by pharmaceutical executives.”

April 2 2023
By Kathleen GoldharApr. 2, 2023
''When media reported on Dec. 15, 2017, that Barry and Honey Sherman had been found dead in their Toronto home, it became the rare Canadian event that garnered international attention.
“Very quickly, it became a big story,” said Matthew Campbell, a Canadian reporter and editor for Bloomberg Businessweek. “There aren’t a lot of stories from Canada that go global, and there certainly aren’t a lot of stories from Canada that you get asked about at dinner parties in London and Paris, as I was over the next few months.”
The main reason for this is that the Shermans were among the wealthiest people in North America. Barry Sherman founded one of Canada’s largest generic drug companies, Apotex; Forbes estimated him to be worth more than $3 billion US when he died. Meanwhile, Honey was a fixture in Toronto’s philanthropic and Jewish communities.''
View attachment 412608

Barry Sherman's uncle Lou Winter, who owned Toronto-based Empire Labs, which Sherman bought and eventually turned into Apotex. (Submitted by Kerry Winter)

“Anybody who is deeply immersed in the global generic drug industry is trafficking in a dangerous world.… A world of fraud. A world of threats. A world of subterfuge,” said Eban. “I have often said about my beat that I cover organized crime… it just happens to be organized by pharmaceutical executives.”
Which is why I feel this was a professional job. Not saying it was ordered by the CEO of a competing pharma company, but it sounds like there were a lot of players, a lot of legal action and therefore a lot of opportunity for one party to take matters into their own hands and order this.

Which is why I feel this was a professional job. Not saying it was ordered by the CEO of a competing pharma company, but it sounds like there were a lot of players, a lot of legal action and therefore a lot of opportunity for one party to take matters into their own hands and order this.
Okay, Barry was 75 years old and very active in Apotex. Nobody (his big pharma enemies) could assume his death would result in the demise of Apotex as a competitor. In fact with Barry's death some investment company has paid big bucks to buy it from the estate. Billions of dollars says Apotex is a very viable company with a great future.

Big Pharma organized a hit on the Shermans? I don't think so.
It was a professional hit? Absolutely.
If Big Pharma did not benefit, who did?

MOO

I believe it was personal. The "tableau" that the killer(s) created, positioning the bodies as described, made a statement, perhaps something to do with 'being hung out to dry.' Did the killer(s) feel that they had been hung out to dry by Barry and Honey, so created a picture in which the victims were hung out to dry? Also, the fact that they were both killed and placed together suggests, to me, some level of respect, twisted though it was. Yes, they were murdered but they were together and even placed relatively respectfully (i.e. side by side, clothed, no blood, Barry's glasses on his face). Placing them this way could also allow the killer(s) to believe that they were/are not "monsters." A monster would do something like Barry's cousin Kerry described in his fantasy of killing Barry (i.e. decapitating him). Finally, from what I have read, the house was large and the pool room was out of the way and not used, which makes me think that the killer(s) had to know the house.
This murder would make people wonder if it was for money, but perhaps it was committed by a person/people who had given up on getting the Sherman money. My two cents worth in this, my first post here.

I believe it was personal. The "tableau" that the killer(s) created, positioning the bodies as described, made a statement, perhaps something to do with 'being hung out to dry.' Did the killer(s) feel that they had been hung out to dry by Barry and Honey, so created a picture in which the victims were hung out to dry? Also, the fact that they were both killed and placed together suggests, to me, some level of respect, twisted though it was. Yes, they were murdered but they were together and even placed relatively respectfully (i.e. side by side, clothed, no blood, Barry's glasses on his face). Placing them this way could also allow the killer(s) to believe that they were/are not "monsters." A monster would do something like Barry's cousin Kerry described in his fantasy of killing Barry (i.e. decapitating him). Finally, from what I have read, the house was large and the pool room was out of the way and not used, which makes me think that the killer(s) had to know the house.
This murder would make people wonder if it was for money, but perhaps it was committed by a person/people who had given up on getting the Sherman money. My two cents worth in this, my first post here.
Welcome to Ws @BJCALAB, great first post!

''At their funeral, their son Jonathon called them "yin and yang".
"They completed a circle that encompassed everything important about what it means to be human," he said. "Neither one perfect but together wholly balanced and exceptional."

"You were like a lock and a key, each pretty useless on your own. But together you unlocked the whole world for yourselves, and for us, and so many others."

Okay, Barry was 75 years old and very active in Apotex. Nobody (his big pharma enemies) could assume his death would result in the demise of Apotex as a competitor. In fact with Barry's death some investment company has paid big bucks to buy it from the estate. Billions of dollars says Apotex is a very viable company with a great future.

Big Pharma organized a hit on the Shermans? I don't think so.
It was a professional hit? Absolutely.
If Big Pharma did not benefit, who did?

MOO
Totally agree.
I don’t see big Pharma organizing a hit, can’t see any benefit to them.
If only we could follow the money trail, I’m sure we’d find the answers, if only crypto currency could be tracked.
Maybe JS is looking to solve the killings with his new knowledge of crypto currency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123