Found Deceased Canada - Branden Bodson-Gratton, 25, Sudbury, Ontario, 3 Dec 2018

Timeline is not officially confirmed, just from my notes, gathered from public sources, identifying events of the first 72 hrs. I haven't heard of suspicion of foul play but it does seem he left in a hurry. It's been reported his phone is being cracked/examined.

Thank you. Are you a local, Jaanniss?

forgive me if this has been discussed. His insta pics make me wonder if there might be some other things at play here also (on top of what has been made public) - like steroids perhaps? On top of what he is already dealing with, that would be rough.

Hey guys, I discovered this forum while researching the case.
I'm a local, so I may be able to answer any general questions you may have.

Welcome :) Would you be comfortable commenting on what you're seeing around community awareness of Branden's missing?
Also wondering if posters are up at places he went to - like - Gym Fitness Centres,
Heal Inc, Sudbury Burlesque, Caruso Club, Zen Fitness , Sudbury Theatre Centre ,Fuse Nightclub ,The Durham Hall; Fromagerie Elgin, Bryston's on the Park,
Steelworker's Hall (USW Local 6500), Claire's School Of Dancing, ARC Climbing + Yoga

Welcome :) Would you be comfortable commenting on what you're seeing around community awareness of Branden's missing?
Also wondering if posters are up at places he went to - like - Gym Fitness Centres,
Heal Inc, Sudbury Burlesque, Caruso Club, Zen Fitness , Sudbury Theatre Centre ,Fuse Nightclub ,The Durham Hall; Fromagerie Elgin, Bryston's on the Park,
Steelworker's Hall (USW Local 6500), Claire's School Of Dancing, ARC Climbing + Yoga

Hi Jaanniss!
I'm a bit of a homebody, so I can't be entirely certain about all of these places— but the case is very prominent in our community. Sudbury is a fairly small town, and his disappearance has been widely publicized and posted on social media. His family has also been printing information postcards for local businesses to hand out. Some people were getting them with pizza delivery.

The family held a vigil for him at the end of December. However, the video footage of him apparently running through the Home Hardware parking lot is recent (I believe it was only announced last month). At one point, police also confirmed they'd received a tip Branden had been lured from his apartment because of a drug debt; however, his family doesn't seem convinced about foul play. Sadly, we mostly just know what's been reported.

For some reason, the fact that his Facebook page says he's in a relationship stands out to me. I don't think his girlfriend (whoever she is) has spoken out at all. Just seems very odd. I also actually got into contact with Branden's mother today. If anyone has any questions, I may be able to pass them along.

Also should be noted-- as much as I hope for the best, in the tragic case something did happen to him, Sudbury has experienced ridiculous snowfall this year (seriously, our snowbanks are 5+ feet high). So, if someone were to find evidence/clues outside, sadly, I don't think it would be until Spring.

Hi Jaanniss!
I'm a bit of a homebody, so I can't be entirely certain about all of these places— but the case is very prominent in our community. Sudbury is a fairly small town, and his disappearance has been widely publicized and posted on social media. His family has also been printing information postcards for local businesses to hand out. Some people were getting them with pizza delivery.

The family held a vigil for him at the end of December. However, the video footage of him apparently running through the Home Hardware parking lot is recent (I believe it was only announced last month). At one point, police also confirmed they'd received a tip Branden had been lured from his apartment because of a drug debt; however, his family doesn't seem convinced about foul play. Sadly, we mostly just know what's been reported.

For some reason, the fact that his Facebook page says he's in a relationship stands out to me. I don't think his girlfriend (whoever she is) has spoken out at all. Just seems very odd. I also actually got into contact with Branden's mother today. If anyone has any questions, I may be able to pass them along.

Thanks! I saw his facebook relationship status and later read in the Sudbury Star that his family had said he was single, and were more or less ruling out that his disappearance could be connected to a relationship issue. I noticed a few 'skoden' markings in the area Branden went missing from ... gang activity? Your feedback is appreciated

Thanks! I saw his facebook relationship status and later read in the Sudbury Star that his family had said he was single, and were more or less ruling out that his disappearance could be connected to a relationship issue. I noticed a few 'skoden' markings in the area Branden went missing from ... gang activity? Your feedback is appreciated

Ahh, that would make sense. Maybe he just never updated it.
We had some local drama here with "Skoden" actually. It's Indigenous slang for 'Let's Go Then' and was painted on our water tower recently. As far as I know, the Skoden was more of a joke vandalism thing, but gangs are possible.

Have you seen 'skoden' spray painted across the city? This Ojibwe artist will tell you what it means | CBC News

Sudbury is rife with drugs like 'purple heroin', fentanyl and other various opioids. It's not rare to find piles of needles in alleyways, etc. It's also highly entwined with gang activity in Toronto, seeing as it's only about a 3 or 4-hour drive North.

Update: Police release list of charges for massive drug sweep - Sudbury.com

The Full List of People Being Charged Through Project Kronic – Between Sudbury & Toronto

forgive me if this has been discussed. His insta pics make me wonder if there might be some other things at play here also (on top of what has been made public) - like steroids perhaps? On top of what he is already dealing with, that would be rough.

Hmm, I'm not sure. It wouldn't be my first guess, but if he was known to dabble with drugs, it's always possible. His mother said that he had been off his psychiatric medications for schizophrenia but had been doing well. Part of me wonders if it was just a matter of time before he had another episode? Especially if he was dabbling with hallucinogenic drugs.

Dozens gather at vigil for Branden Bodson-Gratton - Sudbury.com

'Bodson-Gratton has schizophrenia and is known to take hallucinogenic drugs, but has not been taking medication for some time and had been doing well.

"He hasn't been on meds for a while and has been doing really good, he's been excelling in his job, but something happened, and we don't know," said Gratton.'

I drew up the path suspected by police if that could help anyone.
I used this article as the main source: Family on missing Sudbury man: 'He was looking for inner peace'

I'm not exactly sure where he lived, but he was dropped off on Elm near The Grand Theatre, close to his rooming house on Elgin. According to this article, "Security footage from several downtown buildings established Branden crossed the tracks behind the Shoppers Drug Mart and N’Swakamok Native Friendship Centre before continuing through the parking lot off Pine Street."

"After he lost his phone in the snow [in the back parking lot of Howard Johson Society], Bodson-Gratton presumably continued up the laneway to Alder Street, and on toward Beatty. It was dark, and the temperature was dropping fast, but it’s possible he met someone in the next block or two, or doubled back toward downtown."

“We don’t know if he got picked up after that, or ran off in the bush, or just kept running in a different direction,” adds Jordan. “He could be hiding out somewhere, maybe out of town, because he knew a lot of people. He could be anywhere, just not in his right mind.”

EDIT-- he crossed behind N'Swakamok, whoops. wasn't sure when drawing, but that's a minor detail. I'm also a bit confused about whether he lost his phone BEFORE running through Evans Hardware or afterward?
The red area on the map that says 'Parallels' in photo 3 is the Howard Johnson Society Parking lot.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    821 KB · Views: 6
  • 2.png
    2.png
    938.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 3.png
    3.png
    1,002.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Ahh, that would make sense. Maybe he just never updated it.
We had some local drama here with "Skoden" actually. It's Indigenous slang for 'Let's Go Then' and was painted on our water tower recently. As far as I know, the Skoden was more of a joke vandalism thing, but gangs are possible.

Have you seen 'skoden' spray painted across the city? This Ojibwe artist will tell you what it means | CBC News

Sudbury is rife with drugs like 'purple heroin', fentanyl and other various opioids. It's not rare to find piles of needles in alleyways, etc. It's also highly entwined with gang activity in Toronto, seeing as it's only about a 3 or 4-hour drive North.

Update: Police release list of charges for massive drug sweep - Sudbury.com

The Full List of People Being Charged Through Project Kronic – Between Sudbury & Toronto

Thanks for the info - a young woman died an hour north last summer and I can't help but to think it was purple heroin from Sudbury - will never know for sure though

... google snapshots 'skoden' Elm St @ Elm St

Thanks for the info - a young woman died an hour north last summer and I can't help but to think it was purple heroin from Sudbury - will never know for sure though

... google snapshots 'skoden' Elm St @ Elm St

Ugh, I'm so sorry. It's heartbreaking, honestly. I was a bit of a party animal as a teen and hearing this stuff scares me for our young ones.

It doesn't help that Branden seemed to live right in the heart of downtown, one of the WORST places in all of Sudbury for drugs, crime, etc. If by chance, he did turn on to Beatty hill, he could have gone left (heading back towards downtown) or right, towards 'The Donavon' area, another area of town known for prostitution, drugs, etc. It's only maybe a 15-20 minute walk, and that's being generous.

But again, this is all speculation. If he wasn't in his right mind, there might not have been any method to his madness. :( There really isn't much to go on. Reports don't even mention what time he was recorded running through the Evans Building parking lot, which I feel could be very helpful.

I drew up the path suspected by police if that could help anyone.
I used this article as the main source: Family on missing Sudbury man: 'He was looking for inner peace'

I'm not exactly sure where he lived, but he was dropped off on Elm near The Grand Theatre, close to his rooming house on Elgin. According to this article, "Security footage from several downtown buildings established Branden crossed the tracks behind the Shoppers Drug Mart and N’Swakamok Native Friendship Centre before continuing through the parking lot off Pine Street."

"After he lost his phone in the snow [in the back parking lot of Howard Johson Society], Bodson-Gratton presumably continued up the laneway to Alder Street, and on toward Beatty. It was dark, and the temperature was dropping fast, but it’s possible he met someone in the next block or two, or doubled back toward downtown."

“We don’t know if he got picked up after that, or ran off in the bush, or just kept running in a different direction,” adds Jordan. “He could be hiding out somewhere, maybe out of town, because he knew a lot of people. He could be anywhere, just not in his right mind.”

EDIT-- he crossed behind N'Swakamok, whoops. wasn't sure when drawing, but that's a minor detail. I'm also a bit confused about whether he lost his phone BEFORE running through Evans Hardware or afterward?
The red area on the map that says 'Parallels' in photo 3 is the Howard Johnson Society Parking lot.

There are trains that travel through that downtown area ... can't be travelling too fast on that landscape -

RIP Branden.

"A family member of Branden Bodson-Gratton, who had been missing since Dec. 3, confirmed that a body found in Junction Creek Thursday afternoon was the 25-year-old.

Branden's uncle, Doug Gratton, confirmed that the family had visually identified Branden, though police have not yet released the identity of the deceased, and will not do so until a post-mortem is completed on Monday.

"It's a relief ... that this has come to a close," said Gratton.

Doug asked that the public respect the family's privacy for the time being, and that no funeral arrangements have been made at this time."

Update: Family confirms body found in Junction Creek was that of Branden Bodson-Gratton - Sudbury.com

Farewell
By Anne Bronte

Farewell to Thee! But not farewell
To all my fondest thoughts of Thee;
Within my heart they still shall dwell
And they shall cheer and comfort me.
Life seems more sweet that Thou didst live
And men more true Thou wert one;
Nothing is lost that Thou didst give,
Nothing destroyed that Thou hast done.

Yesterday's note .... April 11/19: Sudbury police investigate following a call from a community member at approx. 12 pm; who saw a body, completely submerged in water in Junction Creek; along Riverside Drive between Kilpatrick and Winchester Avenues.

Last edited:
ok attached is a 6k radius circle drawn around the point on the map where the phone was found (John Howard society, Sudbury). 80% of missing with mental health problems are found within this radius, so being optimistic here. Based on the info in that handbook, the edges of any woods within that circle should be of particular interest. hope i've done it right. I'm an amateur at this tech, so if anyone can do it better please do!

Brandon's body was found within this radius .... approx. location is just under the 'd' as Sudbury is printed on your map.

Yesterday's note .... April 11/19: Sudbury police investigate following a call from a community member at approx. 12 pm; who saw a body, completely submerged in water in Junction Creek; along Riverside Drive between Kilpatrick and Winchester Avenues.

How sad for the family, but I'm thankful that he was found. No doubt his body was preserved by the ice and snow.

Still lots of snow in Sudz!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675