Canada - Bruce McArthur- Pleads Guilty - murders of 8 men, Toronto, 2010-2017 #2

http://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/04/25/bruce-mcarthur-court-wednesday/
Alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur is expected to make another court appearance via video on May 23.

The 66-year-old landscaper, who is currently charged with eight counts of first-degree murder, appeared in court on Wednesday.

McArthur was most recently charged in the death of Kirushna Kumar Kanagaratnam, who moved to Canada from Sri Lanka in 2010.

My issue with the media is they mostly have used Dean’s mugshot even after photos have been made available and now they are mostly using the one picture of Kirushna that was taken either when he was trying to flee Sri Lanka or after he landed in Vancouver. There are other pictures of him. I think the most offensive BM picture is the Falls one as there is something inherently wrong with the smile and the rainbow in the back. Given what the rainbow signifies for the community, that one is the most offensive. But seeing him smiling and “normal” when his victims are remembered for the rough spots in their life.. it’s heartbreaking and so wrong.

Many also keep forgetting that BM had an arrest and likely mugshots from before. I’d be intrigued to know the legalities of utilizing mugshots from past crimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fortunately Canada seems like it does its best to be fair to those accused of a crime. What good would it do to release his mugshot? Everybody would see it and it would likely eliminate a significant portion of the potential jury pool. Think about what happened with OJ Simpson's mug shot. Not only did it end up on the cover of TIME magazine, but they photoshopped the image to make him look more evil and sinister. Although things like this and publication bans irritate me, I do realize that they are in place only to ensure that the accused gets a fair trial.

Fortunately Canada seems like it does its best to be fair to those accused of a crime. What good would it do to release his mugshot? Everybody would see it and it would likely eliminate a significant portion of the potential jury pool. Think about what happened with OJ Simpson's mug shot. Not only did it end up on the cover of TIME magazine, but they photoshopped the image to make him look more evil and sinister. Although things like this and publication bans irritate me, I do realize that they are in place only to ensure that the accused gets a fair trial.

I think what I said was completely fair. I may not agree with not using his mugshot (it is something that is done, just not nearly as often as south of the border), but I’m very clear about the media using his FB pictures still. Particularly the one with the rainbow because of what the rainbow means to the LGBTQ2 community. It’s reprehensible that they are still using Dean’s mugshot and Kirushna’s photo (some confirmation of where Kirushna’s picture is from would be nice, but given the bs in Vancouver, I hope it’s not from that point in his life - but not cool if it was with his refugee application either); reprehensible especially in contrast to the pictures the media uses of BM. There are court sketches now. There were less vile pictures of BM to draw from. They could opt to just post the best pictures of the victims instead. There are so many good reasons people are upset about this. It isn’t just a need for the mugshot. It’s about people that deserve better in death and the community that deserves better while following the coverage of this story.

Gosh, I hadn’t heard about that before. I must have missed reading an article or two.

He certainly knew how to choose those poor victims. Selecting people who more than likely didn’t have close family ties, or didn’t want their loved ones to know about their sexual preferences.

ETA: Montrealaise a couple of comments upthread expressed this much more succinctly. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I often see people ask questions online that are something like, "Why were there so many serial killers decades ago but not now?" And I always bring up the theory that there's just as many, but they are getting better at targeting people who can't defend themselves and have no support systems.

I think what I said was completely fair. I may not agree with not using his mugshot (it is something that is done, just not nearly as often as south of the border), but I’m very clear about the media using his FB pictures still. Particularly the one with the rainbow because of what the rainbow means to the LGBTQ2 community. It’s reprehensible that they are still using Dean’s mugshot and Kirushna’s photo (some confirmation of where Kirushna’s picture is from would be nice, but given the bs in Vancouver, I hope it’s not from that point in his life - but not cool if it was with his refugee application either); reprehensible especially in contrast to the pictures the media uses of BM. There are court sketches now. There were less vile pictures of BM to draw from. They could opt to just post the best pictures of the victims instead. There are so many good reasons people are upset about this. It isn’t just a need for the mugshot. It’s about people that deserve better in death and the community that deserves better while following the coverage of this story.

They should use Kirushna's pic on his motorbike instead. He looks happy and gentle. Poor man.

Case of alleged Toronto serial killer Bruce McArthur put over to May 23 (with clips)

"TORONTO – Alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur had his case put over until May 23 after a brief court appearance in Toronto on Wednesday.

McArthur, a 66-year-old self-employed landscaper, faces eight counts of first-degree murder in connection with the disappearances of several men, most of whom had ties to Toronto’s gay village.

Crown Michael Cantlon told the court his office would have more evidence to turn over to the defence before the next court appearance....

McArthur, appearing in court by video from a Toronto jail, was unshaven and dressed in an orange jumpsuit, his white hair cropped close to his head.

He said his name for the court and thanked the justice of the peace at the end of proceedings...."

https://globalnews.ca/news/4166954/bruce-mcarthur-court-case-put-over/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I get what you are saying, but lets be realistic. First, photos of victims are not what sells newspapers, photos of killers do. So, they will not put a lot of effort in to choosing a victim photo, likely they just keep the first one they find on file and continually use that. As fo McAthur's photos, believe me when I say that they would love to have pictures of the guy that didn't paint him in such a good light, but they just don't have them. What they do have is what McArthur himself posted on Facebook and those are always going to show him in a positive way.

I get what you are saying, but lets be realistic. First, photos of victims are not what sells newspapers, photos of killers do. So, they will not put a lot of effort in to choosing a victim photo, likely they just keep the first one they find on file and continually use that. As fo McAthur's photos, believe me when I say that they would love to have pictures of the guy that didn't paint him in such a good light, but they just don't have them. What they do have is what McArthur himself posted on Facebook and those are always going to show him in a positive way.
I think most of what you have written here is exactly the issue most people have, especially the "what sells newspapers" part. This is an incredibly gripping story and case, people will read the stories and buy the papers. They have every ability to do and be better.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/pride-toronto-mcarthur-gayvillage-parade-1.4643568
[h=1]Pride Parade to end with sea of black to mourn victims of alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur[/h][h=2]Pride Toronto wants people to wear black to signify the pain the LGBT community[/h]
This year's Pride celebrations are going to pay tribute to some of the LGBT community's harsh realities, including the eight people police believe are the victims of alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur.

One of the most visible signs of mourning will be the sea of black that is expected to close the Pride Parade, which has always been known for its rainbow of colours.

The executive director of Pride Toronto, Olivia Nuamah, says barriers will open at the end of the parade and the community will be invited to march in silence, wearing black.
"The one thing that feels celebratory [about Pride] is the colour and the one thing that we're really trying to take away this year is the colour," said Nuamah
One of the first alleged victims that police identified was Andrew Kinsman. The 49-year-old went missing on June 26 last year, a day after the 2017 Pride Parade.

For months, many of Kinsman's friends, including Robin LeBlanc, organized search parties. Although she says the show of black doesn't offer much comfort from a tragedy that shouldn't have happened, she agrees that it's a powerful statement nonetheless.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...mcarthur-investigation-enters-next-phase.html
May 6 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr00GUHnGnM
[h=1]Watch how cadaver dogs find human remains for police[/h]
[h=1]With warmer weather, Bruce McArthur investigation enters next phase[/h]Two cadaver dog teams to comb through properties linked to alleged serial killer.
Though the property searches have already begun, cadaver dog teams will be in full swing by the middle of the week, said homicide Det.-Sgt. Hank Idsigna.
Peter Vronsky, a Ryerson University professor who has studied the history of Toronto police, said it’s probably the biggest homicide investigation in the city.

“We’ve never really had a serial killing case of this scale . . . Sadly, a historic case for Toronto,” said Vronsky, also an expert on serial killers.

Major, a 5-year-old German shepherd and Belgian malinois mix, is part of two Toronto police cadaver specialty teams that will be involved.

“It’s not typical for me to go look at 70 properties,” said his partner Sgt. Derrick Gaudet, adding that the warmer weather means Major will heat up more quickly and need frequent breaks.

“I know it’s going to be a long tedious haul for the cadaver dogs.”
Should human remains be identified at any sites in the weeks ahead, a forensic anthropologist would step in to lead the excavation and cadaver recovery, said Wade Knaap, a police officer with more than 35 years’ experience and an expert in forensic identification.
With the exception of fluids like blood, shining an alternate light source on a scene would expose traces of biological fluids like semen, bones, and decomposition fluids. Contrary to crime show depictions, blood doesn’t show up under the blue light source, Knaap said.

The method works better in lower light conditions, which could mean that forensics teams may investigate after dusk should they find any traces of human remains, he said
McArthur’s next court date is May 23.

May 6 2018
http://torontosun.com/news/crime/co...en-accused-serial-killer-and-unsolved-murders
[h=1]Cops look for links between accused serial killer and unsolved murders[/h]
Toronto detectives are calling it the biggest operation in the force’s history.

“They’re casting a really wide net,” criminologist Michael Arntfield told the Toronto Sun.
“Investigators need to know his precise movements [over the decades].”
But detectives are now also looking at the possibility that the suspected killer may have murdered women as well as men.

“Durham Regional are looking at a number of cases [McArthur lived with his family for years in Oshawa] and not just on young men,” Arntfield said, adding the victimology may be more variable than previously believed
“When he was travelling, in a lot of smaller places at that time there might not be a plentiful supply of his preferred victims,” Arntfield suggested. “It’s very possible he crossed genders.”
Toronto detectives are now in the process of putting in requests for the list of missing and unsolved murders from smaller jurisdictions.

Arntfield said it’s believed many of the suspicious slayings and disappearances pre-date high-tech programs that can link similar crimes from multiple jurisdictions.
rbbm.

Cadaver dogs searching properties linked to alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur

Police searching dozens of properties where McArthur worked as a landscaper

May 07, 2018 1:58 PM ET | Last Updated: 44 minutes ago

Toronto police are sending out teams of cadaver dogs this week to some 100 properties linked to alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur.

The dogs are sniffing for human remains, according to Homicide Det.-Sgt. Hank Idsinga, the lead investigator in the case.

Police will excavate parts of the properties if the dogs find anything relevant to the ongoing investigation, he said.
Police aren't disclosing the addresses of the homes where the dogs will be searching. However, the force says the properties being checked are sites where McArthur worked as a landscaper.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ller-bruce-mcarthur-property-search-1.4651731

I don’t believe they’re going to find bodies at these properties. It’s more likely the bodies are up north around Fenelon Falls. He wouldn’t risk the home owners finding them. He’s too much of a control freak.

I don’t believe they’re going to find bodies at these properties. It’s more likely the bodies are up north around Fenelon Falls. He wouldn’t risk the home owners finding them. He’s too much of a control freak.
Except he did exactly this at the Mallory Cres. property. They are doing their best to be extremely thorough. There's still the possibility he did the same thing at these properties also.

Absolutely they should be investigating up north as well.

Mallory Cres was a work base for him — radically different than other properties in Toronto. He likely used the shed for dismembering his victims. He had unlimited access to the property. Everywhere else he would be limited to a landscaping service. I’m no expert but I don’t believe police are going to find anything else in Toronto. Obviously, the police need to search but I hope they thoroughly search up north.

@FindingJonRiley,

O/T, but your brother is mentioned in this article; Resources brought in for Maas search

Oldrieve has immersed himself in the case since he became aware of it more that two years ago. He has a wesbsite where he collects anonymous tips at pleasebringmehome.com. With Nopper's help they are now collecting tips on other missing people, including Lois Hanna, Neil McDougall, Joe Moore and Jon Riley.
Oldrieve said they are doing the work they do to help police and give them “a nice head start” in investigating cold cases.

Mallory Cres was a work base for him — radically different than other properties in Toronto. He likely used the shed for dismembering his victims. He had unlimited access to the property. Everywhere else he would be limited to a landscaping service. I’m no expert but I don’t believe police are going to find anything else in Toronto. Obviously, the police need to search but I hope they thoroughly search up north.
What I don't understand about the Mallory Cres is how nobody smelled anything? The planters were placed outdoors, right? So how is it that the neighbours, dogs, people walking down the street, the mailman, and anyone that knocked at their door didn't notice a strange smell emanating from that property?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419
Back