Identified! Canada - Casselman, Ont, 'Nation River Lady' WhtFem 239UFON, 25-50, May'75 *POI charged* - Jewell Parchman Langford

No one answered the ring of Anne Moran’s doorbell.

That was odd because she said she planned to stay home at her apartment on College Street to do a little ironing. Then she was going to visit a relative in the GTA later in the day.

That was 50 years ago, and her family hasn’t seen her since.

“Over the years we often talked about her and wondered where she was,” her niece, Annie McKay said in an email from Yorkshire in the United Kingdom, where she lives. “We had no idea how to find her as she was in a foreign country at the time.”

A half-century after her disappearance, Toronto police are now doing DNA tests to see whether the missing woman is someone who has been in the Grenville Street morgue since the early 1970s.

Earlier this month, McKay contacted the Ontario Provincial Police and Toronto Police Service, who arranged for DNA samples to be collected from Moran’s family in Britain to be compared with cases here. That includes an unidentified woman only known as the “Nation River Lady.”

Anne Moran’s passport was still in the 1094 College St. apartment, near Gladstone Avenue, that she shared with her husband when she went missing. Now, the family isn’t sure where to find him either.

No one answered the ring of Anne Moran’s doorbell.

That was odd because she said she planned to stay home at her apartment on College Street to do a little ironing. Then she was going to visit a relative in the GTA later in the day.

That was 50 years ago, and her family hasn’t seen her since.

“Over the years we often talked about her and wondered where she was,” her niece, Annie McKay said in an email from Yorkshire in the United Kingdom, where she lives. “We had no idea how to find her as she was in a foreign country at the time.”

A half-century after her disappearance, Toronto police are now doing DNA tests to see whether the missing woman is someone who has been in the Grenville Street morgue since the early 1970s.

Earlier this month, McKay contacted the Ontario Provincial Police and Toronto Police Service, who arranged for DNA samples to be collected from Moran’s family in Britain to be compared with cases here. That includes an unidentified woman only known as the “Nation River Lady.”

Anne Moran’s passport was still in the 1094 College St. apartment, near Gladstone Avenue, that she shared with her husband when she went missing. Now, the family isn’t sure where to find him either.
Do I understand correctly, that Anne Morgan's husband was still living in the same house from which the UI disappeared 50 years ago? I presume that also means he never reported her missing?

rbbm
''Anne Moran’s passport was still in the 1094 College St. apartment, near Gladstone Avenue, that she shared with her husband when she went missing. Now, the family isn’t sure where to find him either.

At that time, Anne was working as a nursing assistant; he was a pharmacy assistant.''

''Before they lost contact with him, Anne’s husband said he hired a private investigator in a failed effort to locate his wife; he also claimed she had become increasingly religious, and may have joined a Toronto-area cult.''

'' There’s a story that Anne was found in a hotel near the airport after withdrawing funds from their bank account.

Another theory of her disappearance is far more sinister.

There are similarities between Anne Moran and an unidentified woman who was found floating in the Nation River in Casselman, Ont., southeast of Ottawa, in 1975, and who has been referred to in the media as the “Nation River Lady.”

I'd like to know whether her husband was also Irish and came to Canada either with Ann Moran or they came as a married couple.

I always thought those ties were a good clue as to the perp. I don't see an Irish guy having those ties. I'm hopeful but I'm not convinced this is the Nation River Lady.

I'd like to know whether her husband was also Irish and came to Canada either with Ann Moran or they came as a married couple.

I always thought those ties were a good clue as to the perp. I don't see an Irish guy having those ties. I'm hopeful but I'm not convinced this is the Nation River Lady.

Yes, I agree that it's a stretch, but worth checking. The distance between Toronto and Ottawa was considered quite a hike 50 years ago. And Jane Doe looks rather French Canadian. I hope it won't be long before the family finds Ann Moran ... Anne with an E.

Do I understand correctly, that Anne Morgan's husband was still living in the same house from which the UI disappeared 50 years ago? I presume that also means he never reported her missing?
Pardon me for replying to myself. I have no idea whether he reported her missing or not, but he kept her passport, so it makes me think he may have kept all her things, waiting and hoping for her to come home.

The lead with Anne Moran seems very promising! It seems like Toronto PD initiated the DNA comparison in late October...when should we be expecting the results?

In the Susan Tice and Erin Gilmour case, police narrowed down the search to two families within about 4 months. Then it was nearly two years longer before an arrest was made. Let's hope this time it doesn't take as long.

One of Canada's best-known cold cases has been cracked, with ramifications in Ontario, Quebec, Florida and Tennessee.

Found dead after being dropped from a bridge on Highway 417 between Montreal and Ottawa in 1975, an unidentified woman was known for decades by a single moniker: "Nation River Lady."

According to information obtained by Radio-Canada, the murder victim has now been identified as Jewell Parchman Langford, a longtime resident of Tennessee who was 48 at the time of her death.

Her identity was recently uncovered by the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), which also laid a murder charge against Rodney Nichols, a man who had been among Langford's acquaintances in Montreal in the 1970s.

Nichols is now 81 and residing in Florida, where he is the subject of an extradition request.

July 4 2023
1688471814449.png
''According to Radio-Canada, Langford grew up in a large family on a farm in Madison County, Tenn. She and her husband opened a spa in Jackson in 1972.

How she ended up in Montreal isn’t clear but cops there took a missing persons report in April 1975 when she disappeared.''

As for the accused killer, Rodney Nichols was reportedly a well-known figure in rugby circles in Montreal’s English west end.

Radio-Canada reported — citing court documents — that Nichols was charged with Langford’s murder on Sept. 8, 2022. There was no public announcement and detectives didn’t take a bow because of a publication ban, since lifted.

So far, the elderly suspect has not appeared in court and has not entered a plea. The OPP and their U.S. counterparts remain tight-lipped.''

oh wow! RIP Jewell Parchman Langford

Not sure I understand why it has taken so long for authorities to get the man charged in her murder, Rodney Nichols...
I think it is all because of the different jurisdictions, the extradition is not an easy process, he now lives in Florida, U.S., but he is charged in Canada so it can take time.

I think it is all because of the different jurisdictions, the extradition is not an easy process, he now lives in Florida, U.S., but he is charged in Canada so it can take time.
I think you're right, I just wondered if maybe he was too infirm to be moved... given his age, but if that was the case authorities would prob have already publicly stated

I don't have a newspapers.com subscription but this was available w/out one. Article from The Gazette, June 28, 1973, seems Rodney Nichols was the captain of Westmount rugby team:

The Gazette from Montreal, Quebec, Canada - Newspapers.com

"In contrast to the Montreal Irish, half of whom are not native Canadians, Westmount has only two non-Canadians. Westmount captain Rodney Nichols said. "We have been building this team for three years."

Last edited:
Hallelujah, he’s still alive to be charged. I’m sure (hoping) LE have now been looking at other unidentified women in or near Montreal and south Florida to see if there could possibly be a connection to this monster.

From the Dna Doe Project press release

Casselman, Ontario – The DNA Doe Project, working with the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), has identified Lalla Jewell Parchman (Langford), previously known as Nation River Lady. Ms Parchman’s remains were found on May 3, 1975 floating in the Nation River south of the town of Casselman in Ontario, Canada. Attempts by local and provincial authorities to identify her over the years were unsuccessful, and the case went cold.

In early 2019, OPP contacted the DNA Doe Project for help on the case. A DNA profile was developed and uploaded to the genetic genealogy databases at GEDmatch and FamilyTreeDNA in 2020. By researching matches from these sites and conducting an extensive search of available records, DDP’s team of volunteer investigative genetic genealogists targeted Langford as a likely candidate within a few weeks.

“We were incredibly lucky with a couple of elements in this case: we had a couple matches that are fairly closely related to our Nation River Lady and once we got close, we uncovered newspaper articles specifically mentioning Jewell Langford’s disappearance. She was practically there waiting for us to find her,” said Team Leader C. Lauritsen. “The heartbreaking part is that Jewell’s mother clearly searched for her for years and unfortunately died not knowing what happened to her daughter.”

The DNA Doe Project is grateful to the groups and individuals who helped solve this case etective Inspector Daniel Nadeau, Detective Constable (Ret.) Janice Mulcock, and the Ontario Provincial Police; Dr. Kathy Gruspier, Forensic Anthropologist with the Chief Coroner and Ontario Forensic Pathology Service; HudsonAlpha Discovery for sequencing; Dr. Gregory Magoon, contracting through Full Genomes Corporation for bioinformatics work; GEDmatch and FTDNA for providing their databases; and the DNA Doe Project’s team of talented investigative genetic genealogists who work tirelessly to bring all our Jane and John Does home.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74
Back