Found Deceased Canada - Chase Martens, 2, Austin, MB, 22 March 2016

He was found in a creek about a third of a mile away from the house. It had already been searched several times, but the water level and water flow were constantly changing...

CBC had the full interview with the Police who gave the details and answered some questions. (live) .... the live feed is over , but hopefully CBC will make available the full interview instead of just a 30 second edited clip on the news.

Apologies again for the CTV live link , I also was standing by for it to come on and it never did , fortunately I also had CBC on and saw it there.

Bumping LoriMcA's excellent map.

Just some perspective on distance etc... I know it's not a great graphic but any questions just ask :)
Since this is rural...in the west our land is divided into sections...when it was first settled out here...they divided land into 1 mile square 'sections'...each side is 1 mile...
The red line on each side *making the square section*...in the graphic is 1 mile... Their driveway/lane runs north/south and is almost 1/2 mile long...blue line...
The approximate route of the creek which zigzags a LOT...is the gold dots...
The bright green rectangle is the farm yard...
Prov Rd 34 runs north-south on the right side of the graphic...I didn't label it as it is labelled on here by google maps.
Rd 72 runs east-west at the top of the graphic & I've labelled it as such.
As you can see ..the creek *Pine Creek to be specific*...runs approximate east-west directly south of the yard...
In one of the first reports out in the news....*I would have to find it* it was stated that Chase had been down to the creek with his Dad before...his Dad cut wood down there...and that it was one of the first places they looked for him...it appears the closest bend in the creek is less than 1/2 a mile from the yard.... :(
attachment.php

ETA: link to Free Press story about searching down by the creek...
"Wall said the creek, about half a kilometre away from the boy’s home, was one of the first places searchers checked because there is a trail to it from the residence."His dad chops wood there so he has been there before."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/200-searchers-cant-find-missing-austin-boy-2-373212371.html

I noticed that, as well. I have a question about the photo but it's probably too morbid to ask. If anyone who saw it is willing to field my question....let me know.

It's over now.

I think I know what your question is. Looking at the photo, I think the SAR worker put his own hat and gloves on Chase. The SAR rescuer looks like a tall man. His large glove might have been placed to respectfully cover Chase's small hand/arm in the position it rested in at death.

CBC had the full interview with the Police who gave the details and answered some questions. (live) .... the live feed is over , but hopefully CBC will make available the full interview instead of just a 30 second edited clip on the news.

Apologies again for the CTV live link , I also was standing by for it to come on and it never did , fortunately I also had CBC on and saw it there.

I posted the CTV link and it never came on... I am pissed and sorry.

CTV television didn't air it live either. They only aired a portion of the Sargent's statement at the top of the hour.
CBC aired it live, but by the time I had tuned to their channel it was mostly over.
Thank you to the wbs posters here for the updates and comments.

just a clip on cbc with reporter ....... disappointed I missed the ''official'' presser.....

Thank you. And thanks to the others who figured what I was wondering. So disturbing and sad. :(

I saw what you saw. They preserved his dignity. Such respectful, beautiful searchers & volunteers. God bless them during this difficult time.

It is kind of strange that his dog didn't follow him.

Was it LE that was carrying him out on the stretcher? Kind of seemed like it was volunteers. I would have thought that he would be left where he was found for LE.

I'm sure it is just a tragic accident. But it would be nice to see some pictures and hear the opinion of the Searchers who searched that creek already.

They can look at the photos they took with the drone earlier in the week. They may see him in the pictures.

Poor little gaffer. :-(

I am sorry and pissed too .... they were there with the broadcast equipment when I was there yesterday .... it would be OK if they did not have a crew there today .... but then why did they announce for everybody to stay tuned for the live update.

Attachments

• ctv truck friday chase martens.jpg
    ctv truck friday chase martens.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 66

Was it LE that was carrying him out on the stretcher? Kind of seemed like it was volunteers. I would have thought that he would be left where he was found for LE.

I'm sure it is just a tragic accident. But it would be nice to see some pictures and hear the opinion of the Searchers who searched that creek already.

They can look at the photos they took with the drone earlier in the week. They may see him in the pictures.

Their jackets have SAR on them.

Such a tragic ending.. was hoping he would be found. Seems like a far walk for a little guy and cold as well...
RIP

Nothing odd about the dog not following, IMO

LE had probably already been there before Chase was moved;

Creeks change constantly, and what can be a lovely, still, wading creek one minute can change to rapid moving water the next;

I guess what I'm saying is, IMO and in the opinion of the authorities, this was a very sad and tragic ACCIDENT!

I asked towards the beginning if there were any wells or septic tank near by. So many of these missing little tykes end up there. Sweet Chase. You were only out exploring. Bless you.

That was incorrect information. Chase was found in a creek just over 1/3 mile from his home.

Video of the press conference is up for anyone who missed it earlier:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/chase-martens-found-dead-rcmp-update-1.3508463

Oh...poor Mr Paquet. How tough it was for him to deliver this message. You can see how much of their heart that LE put into this. How devastating it is for them. I love that he mentioned that Canadians (and others, of course) on social media were hopeful and motivated LE and volunteers to keep going. Bless their souls.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back